• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Demo Impressions

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think it did at all.
There is a difference between perception and reality.
I think it's fine if one takes a level-headed approach to informing the other readers here of what their findings are.
So players can get ready to see for themselves which version they probably will prefer, because we're yet to have an DigitalFoundry or other analysis that has a bit of authority behind it.

There are some people don't notice tearing. Some people don't notice low FPS or even FPS drops.
Some people, like myself, notice both.

What is true is that the 360 version has tearing. There is video evidence for this in the OXM and GT footage (Heavy tearing first 34 seconds in the latest Preview video).
FPS drops I could experience in the PS3 version first hand in the prologue when the fire was breathed by the dragon.

What is annoying is that they said they are going to change the AA from preview build to retail build. So maybe all the comparison that is being done first hand by people with the demo might not be applicable to the retail product.

So unless this AA implementation changes the characteristics of the builds dramatically I will go with the PS3 version.
Someone that is immune to tearing will most likely prefer the 360 version. And someone that doesn't give a shit should wait for the better deal. ;-)

branny

It's probably already been posted, but there was that one blog entry detailing some neat tech tidbits for anyone interested.

I'm personally fine with the PS3 demo and would prefer to play with L1/R1 instead of bumpers. I remember reading somewhere that the online pawn stuff should still be accessible on the 360 to those without Gold accounts (like Trials Evo user tracks) if that is a factor in your decision at all.

Setting the 360 version to 720p really seems to get rid of the tearing. It's surprising that Capcom still couldn't get rid of this "bug" in MT Framework. When the camera zooms in at the start of the countryside quest I had tons of tearing in 1080p. Everything fine in 720p.

Running both versions side by side it is easily noticeable that the framerate on 360 is superior. On the other hand the graphics look more blurry to me. Maybe FXAA?

Overall this game is a technical disappointment. I could forgive some of it due to the scope, but the huge borders are such a joke. Lighting is really nice though.

HoodWinked

Setting the 360 version to 720p really seems to get rid of the tearing. It's surprising that Capcom still couldn't get rid of this "bug" in MT Framework. When the camera zooms in at the start of the countryside quest I had tons of tearing in 1080p. Everything fine in 720p.

Running both versions side by side it is easily noticeable that the framerate on 360 is superior. On the other hand the graphics look more blurry to me. Maybe FXAA?

Overall this game is a technical disappointment. I could forgive some of it due to the scope, but the huge borders are such a joke. Lighting is really nice though.

both versions should be using FXAA.

Too many ppl trying to alleviate other ppl fears 'round these parts before the fact.

"This version!", "No this version!" Will look back when comparison sites say otherwise - I also hope they test this 720p thing as urban legend or not heh/

Lain

Well I just went and pre-ordered this after replaying the Grifon fight a couple times, managing to win once and getting killed the second after I fell from the sky as I managed to free myself from its claws and that death felt beautiful.

impact

Banned
It's like Monster Hunter X Demons Souls for dummies. Was hype about this, now it's all down the drain. Online co-op could have saved this.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I really had fun with the demo. I inadvertently chose the class with the dual daggers/arrow and was pretty blown away by the combat. I did notice the tearing, especially early in the Prologue mission but somehow it was not as bad as you progressed though by that point too much was going on for me to really look for it. I will try that 720p thing tonight.

Regardless, the key thing I took away was this: fun. Nothing seemed too convoluted or too shallow and whoever said it reminded them of Golden Axe was spot on. And yeah, going just one pawn is the way to go. I will make a dope Red Sonja/Conan combo for the full game.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
So can anyone here give me their display settings where it concerns the blacks and color settings ... specifically:

Cross Color Reduction Filter
RGB Full Range (HDMI)
Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)
Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)

these 4 settings? I can't quite get the blacks to look good at night without it also making the shading under trees durring the day to be completely fuckin dark as well ...

I really had fun with the demo. I inadvertently chose the class with the dual daggers/arrow and was pretty blown away by the combat. I did notice the tearing, especially early in the Prologue mission but somehow it was not as bad as you progressed though by that point too much was going on for me to really look for it. I will try that 720p thing tonight.

Regardless, the key thing I took away was this: fun. Nothing seemed too convoluted or too shallow and whoever said it reminded them of Golden Axe was spot on. And yeah, going just one pawn is the way to go. I will make a dope Red Sonja/Conan combo for the full game.
I think the classes are pre-determined for the demo, unless I missed something.

Jeels

I spent a lot of time in the character creators. :D I wish we got to have more than just one pawn that we make...I wanted to give myself a full Game of Thrones party.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
ConanRedSonjaColor.jpg

Yeah, all about this right here.

Lucent

I think the classes are pre-determined for the demo, unless I missed something.

I think he meant that he chose the Griffin fight first. Inadvertently means accidental or just happened to. So by inadvertently choosing the Strider class, he means he just randomly picked the Griffin battle first and by doing so ended up with the Strider class.

Do I win? =p

ReaperXL7

I'll say this, it will be interesting to see how a pure melee fighter, warrior can handle flying opponents. Just from my experience with the demo it did not seem like there was anyway for the fighter to attack the harpy while hanging on to it.

With the griffon I see a similar situation where the only way to fight it is by waiting for it to land, unless ranged pawns will be strong, and smart enough to bring it down to the ground it's going to be a pain I think.

Still I love bigass two handers, so i'll be going Warrior all the way.

Lucent

I'll say this, it will be interesting to see how a pure melee fighter, warrior can handle flying opponents. Just from my experience with the demo it did not seem like there was anyway for the fighter to attack the harpy while hanging on to it.

With the griffon I see a similar situation where the only way to fight it is by waiting for it to land, unless ranged pawns will be strong, and smart enough to bring it down to the ground it's going to be a pain I think.

I noticed this, too. I threw my pawn off the cliff and then tried to solo. Those harpies were using moves I didn't know they had because the pawns would always kill them. They can sleep you and petrify you. I had 4 of them on me and they tore me to shreds. It also didn't help that there were stronger goblins there, too.

I will say though that I liked playing as the Warrior more when I went solo because I was able to try all my moves more effectively. I think they mapped the moves in a smart way. Everything made sense to me and I was able to choose them on the fly without much thought.

I still think it'll be interesting when the full game comes out and we get to form hybrid classes.

http://mlpeters.com/ConanRedSonjaColor.jpg

Yeah, all about this right here.

Is there any other way? All of these middle earth/classic fantasy games have become Conan simulators for me.

Good God the banding is terrible at dusk/night. Maybe the worst I've ever seen in a game.

Well, it's possible to solo the Griffin.

I didn't do it, though; it and I were both down to 5% health and I got stuck on a rock trying to dodge. :mad:

Arrows are practically useless when it's circling in the air, so you have to wait for it to land... but it hardly ever lands near you, and when it does you have to hope you can jump to its neck in time stab it a bit. Or it'll just do its triple pounce attack that you have to dodge during, then hit it with a few arrows before it's off again.

Pretty fun though, you see so many more attacks this way. There's an electric wind dive; the triple pounce; a hovering electric wind blast; running charges; and some others.

They really should have allowed us to pick each class to try them out. I like the Fighter, as I've always been a fan of sword & shield gameplay; I like the Ranger for the bow & arrows and the dodge roll; and I've liked what I've seen of the Mystic Knight, too... decisions, decisions.

I wish there were a class that had the Fighters sword & shield and the Rangers bow, then I'd be happy.

I wish there were a class that had the Fighters sword & shield and the Rangers bow, then I'd be happy.

The hybrid class "Assassin" which is a mix of Warrior and Ranger can use swords, sheilds, bows, and daggers. I'm probably going with that hybrid first because the mix of one hand swords + bows looks great.

Anteater

You could lure the Griffin down with a corpse, I don't know what that means though, lol, I see the pawns just holding it and was like "I'll lure it down!", so I guess you just have to hold one and it might come down

Card Boy

Banned
Played the demo on PS3. Sub 30 FPS means im waiting for the PC version if no PC version gets announced within 12 months then i'm waiting for a $15 import from the UK.

I can't support shit at full price. (im not saying the game is shit)

Lucent

I can live without the shield as long as I can roll.

Roll is very useful. I wonder if there'll be any more evasive maneuvers in the full game. Maybe a ninja smoke bomb? Lol.

But I saw a video someone posted here of a guy throwing a string/rope at some wolves and dragging them to him. Looked pretty awesome.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

you can jump slash em when they get low enough and once they are on the ground you can use your grab them so they cant get back up then you can kick while you are holding them

Anteater

Roll is very useful. I wonder if there'll be any more evasive maneuvers in the full game. Maybe a ninja smoke bomb? Lol.

But I saw a video someone posted here of a guy throwing a string/rope at some wolves and dragging them to him. Looked pretty awesome.

Assassin has a counter I think that's one shot against smaller enemies, I don't know what is the risk of it though since it sounds a lot more overpowered than using a shield.

I don't know what the button configuration is for Assassin either, but from the assassin vs drake I don't see the Roll button on the layout (R1+X seems to be just jump).

Lucent

Assassin has a counter I think that's one shot against smaller enemies, I don't know what is the risk of it though since it sounds a lot more overpowered than using a shield.

I don't know what the button configuration is for Assassin either, but from the assassin vs drake I don't see the Roll button on the layout (R1+X seems to be just jump).

Hmm. That would be pretty awesome to counter them and kill lesser enemies. Would be sort of like playing Assassin's Creed in that regard. lol.

If the Assassin had jump instead of a dodge roll...I think we should be able to pick from skills we learn as we power each vocation. Kinda hope'n it works like that. Haven't read too much about that stuff.

There was a part in the demo where I found the shield pretty useful. Some goblins were try'n to hit me and there was an explosive barrel between them and myself. I blocked as they hit it and they flew off as I remained undamaged. Though I probably lost some stamina, but it was so cool and I grinned.

benzy

t2PeX.jpg
p7PaR.jpg

Face:

Hairstyle 23, Color Black
Face Shape 10, Head Size 5(middle), Skin Color: Middle Column 6
Eyes 04, Vertical 2, Spacing 2, Size 4, Eye Color: Blue
Brows 19, Vertical 1, Spacing 2, Brow Color: Black
Nose 4, Vertical 2, Size 3
Mouth 28, Vertical 4
Ears 2, Vertical 3, Position 3

Body:

Stature Height 4, Weight 2, Skin Color: Middle Column 6
Build Musculature 2, Bust Size 4
Torso 7
Arms 9
Legs 7
Stance Posture 2, Stance 3

Makeup 2, Color: Black

I used those settings and she came out looking kinda different. Weird lol.

kkkkkv4kxc.jpg
kkkk3ouox.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
It's like Monster Hunter X Demons Souls for dummies. Was hype about this, now it's all down the drain. Online co-op could have saved this.
I'm certain this can't be a bad thing in many peoples' books. Gonna leave out the part about dummies, because it has its own appeal that you apparently haven't discovered yet.

Online co-op might have been a nice option (with friends), but it doesn't need it to be "saved". What exactly were you expecting, and how was it tainted so badly by the demo alone?

cyborg009

Banned
The demo was pretty cool black borders don't bother me such my hdtv is huge but I did have a few issues.

I didn't really notice framerate drop if it did happen i didn't nice, but the Griffin battle was so damn dull.... but on other hand chimera battle was cool(had moments where it was bit tedious)

mrgone

1st time I killed the gryphon: "That was super awkward!"
2nd time I killed the gryphon: "Wow, that was actually pretty fun!"
3rd time I killed the gryphon: "I AM LORD OF MEN AND BEASTS AND ALL SHALL FEAR ME"

It would've been nice to get a feel for the more open aspects of the game, but I'm glad it seems as fun to play in practise as it on paper.

PS. My character is Bill S. Preston Esq. and my pawn is Ted Theodore Logan and together we are Wyld Stallyns (and we rule).

Have this game pre-ordered as i was really looking forward to it but that demo did nothing for me. The IQ is terrible and the combat lacks satisfaction. I cant really tell if i hit something or not, there is no impact. The screen is also a cluttered mess. Might have to bail on this :/

How did you get rid of the pawns?

How do you fight the Griffon solo? You start with a full party and you can't just kill them quickly.

Circle around the southeast part of the area and there's a rock sticking out on top of a hill, grab your pawns (mage first) and repeatedly throw them off until they die.

It doesn't take too long, knocks about 15% health off each throw, but you'll end up going into the night. The wait until dawn takes forever.

Top Bottom