• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Blacklist - Mondays 10/9c on NBC

Clockwork

As a long time fan of The Blacklist I will say that I haven't watched anything beyond the first episode of Redemption.

I'm glad the regular show will be on soon.

Jhoan

I enjoyed Redemption quite a bit tbh. Its more stylish and I enjoyed the character interactions more (mainly Solomon's scenes). I found it way more interesting overall than the recent seasons of the main Blacklist show lol. Guess I got tired of the formula.

Kinda big spoiler:
I'm super dissapointed that they didn't expand upon Scottie potentially being a sleeper agent. And the super predictable plot twists at the end. Hopefully we get a season 2 and they do more stuff with Scottie.
Agreed, I liked the whole premise and cinematic style from the get-go. It was really well done. I liked how Tom's relationship with the black chick (who's name escapes me) developed over time to the point where they become where he said that she's like a sister to him. It makes me wish the main series had a similar style. I do hope that characters from Redemption cross over into the main series even as guest appearances. I'm going to miss the returning episode as I'll be out of town.

I agree with you on the spoiler.
I knew Tom's father was suspicious from episode 1 because he always had a smug look on his face in every scene. My guess is his father is going to be the big bad in a theoretical season 2 and Tom is going to have to bury the hatchet with Scottie.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
No comments on the premiere? I liked the Mr. Kaplan origin story. It finally put to rest why Red calls her that, even if it is a somewhat bittersweet reason. The episode also really puts Red in a rather bad light, as even though he was somewhat vindicated in his disagreement with her methods by the eventual circumstances, she was only doing exactly what she said she was going to do, for which he originally praised her.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The episode also really puts Red in a rather bad light, as even though he was somewhat vindicated in his disagreement with her methods by the eventual circumstances, she was only doing exactly what she said she was going to do, for which he originally praised her.

He *is* kinda supposed to be an anti-hero, so I'm OK with it.

I thought that second hour was the best the show has been all season. It was enthralling. I didn't see the Mr. Kaplan name origin twist but it made sense. It was astonishing how much that younger actress looks like the older Mr. Kaplan.

I did think Masha/Liz looked a little too old; like, old enough to remember all that stuff later in life. I thought she was about 2 years old when the fire happened, but she looked closer to 6 in that motel room.

They're still being ambiguous about whether Red is Liz's father ("I never knew who the father was,") but come on, he totally is, haha.

DarthWoo

He *is* kinda supposed to be an anti-hero, so I'm OK with it.

I thought that second hour was the best the show has been all season. It was enthralling. I didn't see the Mr. Kaplan name origin twist but it made sense. It was astonishing how much that younger actress looks like the older Mr. Kaplan.

I did think Masha/Liz looked a little too old; like, old enough to remember all that stuff later in life. I thought she was about 2 years old when the fire happened, but she looked closer to 6 in that motel room.

They're still being ambiguous about whether Red is Liz's father ("I never knew who the father was,") but come on, he totally is, haha.

Wasn't there something a season or two ago about someone intentionally suppressing her memories of the incident? If not, we could chalk it up to repressed memories in the same way Olivia Dunham remembered almost nothing about Jacksonville. Also, wasn't the fire the same night that Liz shot somebody? Not saying a 2 year old can't intentionally shoot somebody, but 6 is a bit more reasonable.

Jhoan

I missed the break return since I'm in Chicago for C2E2 but Jon Bokenkamp was doing a panel on The Blacklist but I missed it. It looks like they gave away posters there.

Jhoan

The bromance is back on with Red and Dembe. Long may they live. ;_; I still need to see last week's episode to get some better context as to what's going on. However, I liked that a BL Redemption reference was peppered in with Tom coming to terms with Scottie being his mom.

Kate has always been creepy but this episode made her even more creepy given that she's turned heel even if her methods aren't exactly violent/indirectly. I also like the douchey detective with the shades who's determined to capture Red. It adds a new dynamic to the FBI. I kind of miss Redemption's cinematic style though but it compensates with Red's flowery dark monologues.

DarthWoo

I admit I might have been not paying attention during some of the dialogue, but was it explained why Kate was even keeping all these bodies under an ice rink? It seems as though as skilled as she is, there would be more permanent ways of disposing of corpses, so was she keeping them all as a contingency against Red ever since she started working for him?

Jhoan

I admit I might have been not paying attention during some of the dialogue, but was it explained why Kate was even keeping all these bodies under an ice rink? It seems as though as skilled as she is, there would be more permanent ways of disposing of corpses, so was she keeping them all as a contingency against Red ever since she started working for him?

I'm not sure if it was. I wasn't paying too much attention during this last episode myself and was confused by it. It seemed to have implied that Elizabeth and the cop who Wexler was working with were to meet from the end of last night's episode so maybe that's what it was for. Maybe another sharp eared viewer can explain.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't think they'd been stored there together to begin with. I think they were stored various places that only Kate knew about, and she went on her road trip to collect the bodies, then rented out (or otherwise gained access to) that ice rink to put them all on display for her big reveal to the cops.

I don't think they'd been stored there together to begin with. I think they were stored various places that only Kate knew about, and she went on her road trip to collect the bodies, then rented out (or otherwise gained access to) that ice rink to put them all on display for her big reveal to the cops.
yep. seeing she went to the hotel, for example, i think that's the case.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
There are two people that can be killed and make me done with this show:
____Dembe and Baz____
. So help me, God, if
_____Baz_____
doesn't pull through, I'm done.

I've been off and on with the show for a while, but I've caught up to the finale.

So, please, please, tell me this is the end of the question of whether Red is Lizzie's father. I don't want next season to suddenly change it by suggesting Red isn't the real Raymond Reddington or some other contrived excuse. I'm tired of the constant misleading bait-and-switch. If this really is it, then I'm actually pretty curious to see how this information informs their dynamic in the next season.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yay, we finally know the truth (that we've known all along)! Of course, they had to introduce a new mystery at the end because they got renewed for a fifth season, heh. But it was nice to finally hear Liz say it. You could just see Red's heart melt as she accepted him as family. He kinda nuzzled her when she hugged him, haha.

And can I just say that one of the best scenes in the show, IMO, is when Red and Dembe got in the car with the crazy FBI investigator dude? Spader delivered those lines with glee. And after recounting all the times he's gotten away, he says, "More to come!" and runs off, escaping yet again despite sitting right next to the agent. It was hilarious.

Poor Mr. Kaplan, though, yeesh. I guess at least she went out on her own terms. I presume the suitcase she dug up has Liz's mom's bones in it; I wonder what those bones reveal about what Red "did" to her.

____Dembe and Baz____
. So help me, God, if
_____Baz_____

You're gonna die on that hill? He's hardly a character at all, LoL

jwk94

I've been off and on with the show for a while, but I've caught up to the finale.

So, please, please, tell me this is the end of the question of whether Red is Lizzie's father. I don't want next season to suddenly change it by suggesting Red isn't the real Raymond Reddington or some other contrived excuse. I'm tired of the constant misleading bait-and-switch. If this really is it, then I'm actually pretty curious to see how this information informs their dynamic in the next season.

I stopped midway into the first season but
they're just now confirming that?! Isn't this season 3 or 4 now?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I imagine that's the true answer. It felt like they intentionally got the narrative to that point in case the show was canceled so that viewers would know the truth. And yeah, I'm interested to see how it changes their dynamic next season, too.

I stopped midway into the first season but
they're just now confirming that?! Isn't this season 3 or 4 now?

heh, yes, season four just ended. They really strung it out like two seasons too long.

I imagine that's the true answer. It felt like they intentionally got the narrative to that point in case the show was canceled so that viewers would know the truth. And yeah, I'm interested to see how it changes their dynamic next season, too.

heh, yes, season four just ended. They really strung it out like two seasons too long.

Good point. Glad it got renewed then. I really enjoyed S1 and S2 and most of S3. S4 was a low point, but towards the end it improved.

I don't mind it being strung out, but it probably was a season too long haha. Just relieved we got an answer at all I suppose.

LQX

This season has been amazing, the best one yet. And I guess we know what all next season will be about. Another surprise for Liz.

Also, I hate that they are bringing back Tom. I just hate his presents in any episode. And with the angle they seemingly will go for next season he will play big part of it.

____Dembe and Baz____
. So help me, God, if
_____Baz_____

I'm with ya Pal.
Baz has been shot twice this year alone. Crossbow bolt and a bullet at short range. I think he's been shot at least 6 times on this show.

Kevin

For the most part I've enjoyed seasons 1-3 of the Blacklist. How does season 4 compare to the first three seasons of the show?

FFP2

For the most part I've enjoyed seasons 1-3 of the Blacklist. How does season 4 compare to the first three seasons of the show?

It has its ups and downs. They flesh out the cast quite a bit this season but the overall the show feels like it's treading water. I found Redemption more enjoyable than Season 3 and 4.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I like it better than season three. Red gets a good, threatening adversary in the second half of the season, and there are some really good flashbacks that answer some questions about the show's characters and world.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just binged season 4 hard and loved it, one of my favourite seasons. I'm really glad it got renewed. James Spader is just incredible as Red.

Jhoan

Nooo! It's back on tonight?! Oh well, I'm socializing and working at NY Comic Con next week. Probably going to miss like 3 episodes if not more. :(

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
This episode feels a little like a fan wrote it and sent it in to the production team. Red’s characterization is a bit off, there are a lot of contrivances in the plot, there have been a couple “fan servicey” moments, the whole thing just feels a bit sloppily written. I dunno.

[edit] That was probably the worst episode of this show since the clip episode in season three. It’s too bad; I thought last week was really good.

Top Bottom