• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does a Celebrity's Politics effect your view of them?

Are you able to separate a Celebrity (Actor, Musician etc) and their political views and the enjoyment of watching them?

I can do this for some actors and musicians but some I just cannot.

Example: Adam Baldwin whom I love watching in shows, every since My Bodyguard, through various movies to television shows like Chuck, Firefly, Angel, The Last Ship. I love his presence. Hell I've even gotten into a Twitter Arguement that lasted a weekend. I still like him. His politics are abhorrent to me.

James Woods. FUCK THAT GUY

Charlie Daniels Band: The Devil Went Down to Georgia. One of my favourite songs of all time. Charlie is a fucking dick though.

I think their must be another quality that makes me able to overlook certain Celebrities politics. It's very rare that if they are on an opposite side politically of me that I enjoy their work.

Hell even Sean Penn whom I align with nauseates me when I see him talk politics. I loved his early stuff, now I'll never watch another movie of his.

SoulUnison

Banned
Not really.
Alex Baldwin's done and said some dumb stuff but 30 Rock wouldn't be the same without him.

But, then again, Adam Baldwins GamerGate stuff didn't sour me to Jayne on Firefly, but I do think I consciously subtly avoid him in things.

It varies, I guess.
Also, Baldwins are problematic.

Marsellio23

It is better not to know about some celebrities, so as not to be disappointed. Although I am always curious ... And I suffer from it.

NickFire

A celebrities political view does not usually affect my opinion of them at all. A celebrities belief that they should ram their political opinion down everyone's throat most certainly does.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Political no. But some personal stances would annoy me. But wouldnt stop me from enjoying their work if they are an entertainer. I am still going to see Tom Cruises movies, I dont care what his religion is.

No. They'd have to be confirmed a member of a Hate group or a criminal for me to care. I am too self centered to worry about other peoples opinion. I only care about their actions honestly.

manfestival

I think of them differently. Like of them as annoying normal person trying to insert politics into something. Otherwise it has to be extreme for me actually attach any emotion to it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
While I may have my own opinions towards theirs, their job is to entertain us. If they still provide that quality entertainment, I will still watch/listen to their work as long as they are not total extremists and sycophants.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Not really. If they're good at what they're doing, they're good.

Grinchy

Banned
It depends on how loud and preachy they are about it. If you just randomly find out a celebrity is in the political party you don't like, that shouldn't matter. If that celebrity does whatever he or she can to publicly shove that ideology down your throat because they think only they can be right, then I'm out. They can fuck off.

Typically not. I still love Tim Allen even though we aren’t aligned politically.

James Woods got a little too aggressive about it, for me, on the other hand

Ixion

I only draw the line when the celebrity either goes after the supporters of a politician or they call for violence.

Examples being Will Smith saying "Trump supporters need to be cleansed", Tim Heidecker saying "If you see a Republican at the polls, punch them in the back of the head", Peter Fonda saying Barron Trump needs to be kidnapped and caged, etc. Then you have slightly more indirect instances like Snoop Dogg shitting on Kanye and calling him "white" for supporting Trump, so what does that say about his thoughts on white people? I can go on and on.

I don't try to get those artists banned from anything, but I'll just stop giving them money and checking out their stuff going forward. I can't enjoy something when I explicitly know the artist wants me dead.

SaviourMK2

It never really bothered me because everyone was entitled to a political ideology, whether I agreed with them or not.
The only exceptions of me turning my back on celebrities because of the politics where Rosanne and James Woods. I wanted to include Bill Maher but I feel he's not really a "celebrity" in the traditional sense (films, TV, etc), just an obnoxious political comedian.

Ixion

It never really bothered me because everyone was entitled to a political ideology, whether I agreed with them or not.
The only exceptions of me turning my back on celebrities because of the politics where Rosanne and James Woods. I wanted to include Bill Maher but I feel he's not really a "celebrity" in the traditional sense (films, TV, etc), just an obnoxious political comedian.

I can understand Rosanne, but why James Woods?

Ixion

He's kind of a huge asshole. My breaking point was his comments about how a kid whose gay parents brought him to a pride event will end up butchering his parents when he gets older.

His point was that you shouldn't use children as political props. You had two parents parading around their really young son bragging about how gender-confused he is. They were both holding signs strictly about their little kid. Woods wasn't joking that the kid will kill his parents because he's gay or something, but rather because the parents were using him for political purposes.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I would be lying if I said no, but It wont completely stop me from watching anything.

Edit: late night politics hot takes and SNL political sketches are too cringe for me tho. Wont watch those for my own sanity.

Last edited:

SaviourMK2

His point was that you shouldn't use children as political props. You had two parents parading around their really young son bragging about how gender-confused he is. They were both holding signs strictly about their little kid. Woods wasn't joking that the kid will kill his parents because he's gay or something, but rather because the parents were using him for political purposes.

Nah.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t really care if they have some shitty beliefs. I care if they’re engaging in shitty behavior, giving a lot of money to causes I find abhorrent and so on. Even then I can sometimes still enjoy their art, and just won’t pay money to see their movie in the theater or buy their album or go to their concert etc.

SaviourMK2

Shit. I concede.
874f6b921b1582becc0175513d158c0d--funny-things-funny-stuff.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I don’t care at all. If I’m going to see a movie then the actor is playing a character. I’m there for the performance that’s all.

Now if a celebrity is 100% focused on making every thing they do a political statement, I do tend to get wary, just cos it seems like a distraction or a gimmick. If I want to back politics I’ll look for a politician. If you are leaning on politics like some SNL actors who hammer this shit every week then you must not have anything truly unique to offer and I’ll ignore you. There are a million places to get your political kicks.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It would influence my view of them as a person, not my view on them as an artist (assuming they are an artist and not just some famous-for-existing kind of celebrity). Being an asshole and a good artist are not mutually exclusive.

Xenon

Not at all. People are complicated creatures and even the ones I have vstrong disagreements with on some political issues, I'd probably agree with to the other 80% issues. Also I'm pretty big on losing myself in movies/shows so I usually don't think about their real-life persona anyway.

Now writers producers musicians where their heart a little more on their sleeve. in which case their political views definitely affect my view of their work since more often than not, they're preaching

Last edited:

Acerac

Banned
The way Bautista responded to the whole James Gunn controversy was so belligerent I could not help but grow more fond for the man.

I'd like to say no, but that would be a lie. I wish more of them would learn to keep their mouth shut about anything not directly involving their movies. As if I need some multi-millionaire (who lives in a gated community and never has fewer than 3 armed bodyguards with them at all times) lecturing me on how I'm racist because I don't support far left trash policies.

With music I don't really care too much about a musicians politics but I tend to mostly listen to instrumentals and '80s music.

With movies I care more because I have to watch their faces and often their stupid views show up across their smug faces.

P.S. James Woods is my hero.

timeflais

Banned
I feel that when celebrities unanimously project their message to their audience there is good reason to be suspectful, we wouldnt like a groups acting ability to be able to influence peoples perceptions in regards to politics would we?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It depends on the views. I can set aside difference of beliefs, of course, but when they want to use their status as celebrity to moralize, I laugh and flip to something else. It doesn't mean I boycott their movies or despise anything they do, but this is like asking if your barber's politics affect your haircut.

Technically the answer is no, but I'd prefer they kept it to themselves while I get a trim.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
tbh i am getting sick and tired of hearing about Jim Carrey making some dumb agit prop painting and picking fights on social media. does he not have a life or something?

the dude was in the Ace Ventura movies which traffic in all kinds of transphobic, disabaphobic, and flat out racist stereotypes and now he thinks he's a fucking truth teller. not that i care about all that stuff, i saw those movies in the theater as a kid and loved them, but he is on a high horse for some reason and tbh it's annoying

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Not necessarily. I don't expect everyone to agree with one another, but how they carry themselves and whether or not they respect opposing albiet respectful opinions does play a factor.

Fbh

Usually no unless they are very outspoken about something I strongly disagree with .... but no one comes to mind right now

Jubenhimer

I honestly don't care what they think politically, and they have the right to express their views whenever possible. The problem with Hollywood though is that many celeberties try to act like moral arbitors and attempt to make others agree with their views. They fail to realize that nobody's paying them to tell us to believe in climate change or that Trump is litterally Hitler. They're being paid to act and perform, so they should focus on that instead of trying to preach to us like they know better than average Americans.

Nope. Don't care about their politics. That's why I always laugh at celebrities in the US around elections. People that are a part of the elites tend to be really bad spokespeople for a wider cause.

Nymphae

Banned
Of course it influences how I think about them, but what I think of an actor's political views doesn't really impact whether or not I enjoy a movie that they act in.

Last edited:
With the exception of very few famous people, I see the famous as rich hypocrit fascists who detest their fanbase, while demanding adoration from them.

They should not be taken seriously or viewed as better than the common person.

At best, they're just clowns, dancing for our entertainment and at worst they are attention seeking desperate whores.

trikster40

I’d say it doesn’t bother me when viewing their movies/shows/etc. everyone’s entitled to their own set of morals and beliefs, and as long as it doesn’t affect their job, I’m cool with it.

Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, but I’ve seen almost every thing he’s been in.

Not really. Not unless they say something ridiculous like 911 is 'some people did something'. Or walk into a room holding a snowball arguing global warming is not real.

You drop a bomb like that and I fold. I want nothing to do with you.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I really don't care. If I like the art, I just like it. I'm a fan of musicians and actors in all sides of the spectrum. The same applies to religions, beliefs, etc. If I were to care about artists opinions I wouldn't be left eith much to listen to or watch. I don't like forced politics in media. But I'm all for freedom of speech and thought.

Top Bottom