• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The My Favorites Mix has been around since iOS 10 next to the New Music Mix

no, heavy rotation. it's not a playlist.. it appears further down.

Wasn't there talk of a price reduction a while back, what happened to that?

it is there, BUT it doesn't show up until you are subscribed.. seems like a weird bug.. anyway, as long as you are subscribed (i.e. have signed up for the free trial) and it shows up in your Apple ID Subscriptions section, the $99 option shows up as a subscription option.

Ashhong

I have 2 major gripes with Apple Music, both on the Now Playing screen

1. The artist and the album are on the same line, which just seems stupid. Have to wait for it to scroll to see the information
2. On songs with multiple artists, the clickable artist link takes you to just one of them instead of being separated. What a huge oversight.

Anyone else agree or is it just me..

Do you have friends? Add them and make them pay. It’s great! It also makes for nice presents to your family or something. Throw your parents on and let them go wild

But then they’re in your iCloud family as a whole and if they buy anything it’s from one card, right?

Ashhong

But then they’re in your iCloud family as a whole and if they buy anything it’s from one card, right?

True. Luckily my entire family is too cheap to buy apps. I also have a friend on my account and if he buys something he just gives me the money. It's cool because I can also use that app as long as he's in my family.

Nyrad

Are there any hints/rumors that Apple Music is getting Browser support? I would subscribe but i need to use it on PC's without iTunes. I can wait until fall but otherwise i would have to use Spotify

borghe

Are there any hints/rumors that Apple Music is getting Browser support? I would subscribe but i need to use it on PC's iTunes. I can wait until fall but otherwise i would have to use Spotify

not even a rumor :(

the itunes revamp rumor has been going around for years.. but seriously... wtf is the hold up? Everyone universally hates it... I don't get what's stopping them from just killing it and starting over.

borghe

I like iTunes..

in windows?

in macOS it's not unusable, but it is really lacking by modern day standards.

in windows, just running it for an hour it's already second highest consumer of resources only behind chrome (which has long been decried for how inefficient it is with system resources). and that's with parts of office and even Eclipse running.

The interface is usable but pretty archaic by modern standards.

The system footprint is usable on macOS, but really not very usable on Windows.

Just installed iOS 11 on my iPad Pro. Haven’t done it yet on my 7 Plussince I’m waiting for another release or two that will hopefully address the battery issues in it. Here is a link to my Apple Music profile:

https://itunes.apple.com/profile/GotTheShakes

Feel free to add me and I’ll follow back. I will be sharing some playlists up there once I get my playlists sorted out. They are kind of a mess right now.

Ashhong

I'm very very disappointed that your Apple music profile doesn't show smart playlists. Those are the only ones I use

in windows?

in macOS it's not unusable, but it is really lacking by modern day standards.

in windows, just running it for an hour it's already second highest consumer of resources only behind chrome (which has long been decried for how inefficient it is with system resources). and that's with parts of office and even Eclipse running.

The interface is usable but pretty archaic by modern standards.

The system footprint is usable on macOS, but really not very usable on Windows.

Yea on Windows. I haven't really noticed the system resource issue, but I guess I'm not surprised. Also don't see much issue with the interface. I use Spotify too and it's basically the same..At least for my uses.

So smart playlist question. I have one setup to populate with all the songs that I heart. Some of those songs are from radio stations and not in my library. Will my smart playlist populate with those songs, or only ones I've liked that are also in my library?

So smart playlist question. I have one setup to populate with all the songs that I heart. Some of those songs are from radio stations and not in my library. Will my smart playlist populate with those songs, or only ones I've liked that are also in my library?

Smart playlists can only calculate stuff that’s in your library

I like iTunes but I run a powerful PC and even then it's a little sluggish. I limit my use to backing up iOS devices and playing some music and matching tracks.

They probably can't quite start over as there is a large base of customers with old iPods and there needs to be support for them and for movies/TV.

The more things they move to the cloud the easier it would be to just make a music player that runs fast. I hope they never get rid of the iTunes store though. I still buy albums

I like iTunes but I run a powerful PC and even then it's a little sluggish. I limit my use to backing up iOS devices and playing some music and matching tracks.

They probably can't quite start over as there is a large base of customers with old iPods and there needs to be support for them and for movies/TV.

The more things they move to the cloud the easier it would be to just make a music player that runs fast. I hope they never get rid of the iTunes store though. I still buy albums

I don’t think they’ll ever get rid of the store. Even though purchases are declining it’s still a source of revenue that requires pretty little maintenance relative to their other sectors

Plus I still buy movies like you buy albums

I don't think they'll ever get rid of the store. Even though purchases are declining it's still a source of revenue that requires pretty little maintenance relative to their other sectors

Plus I still buy movies like you buy albums

I have hundreds of movies too, probably should take the digital music news report with a grain of salt (especially as Apple has officially denied it). You're right, if the movie store is up, keeping the music one up is relatively painless. I still use an iPod at times, so I would love the option to always be there (of course, there's also iTunes match, but sometimes I just like getting the digital booklet and having iTunes in the Cloud)

Edit:
I've been really digging the Chill Mix. My Favorites Mix was super on-point today.

I have hundreds of movies too, probably should take the digital music news report with a grain of salt (especially as Apple has officially denied it). You're right, if the movie store is up, keeping the music one up is relatively painless. I still use an iPod at times, so I would love the option to always be there (of course, there's also iTunes match, but sometimes I just like getting the digital booklet and having iTunes in the Cloud)

Edit:
I've been really digging the Chill Mix. My Favorites Mix was super on-point today.

It would be super cool if the Chill Mix would actually show up for me since I have the iOS 11 beta on my iPad, but for some reason all I have is the New Music and Favorites Mix.

It would be super cool if the Chill Mix would actually show up for me since I have the iOS 11 beta on my iPad, but for some reason all I have is the New Music and Favorites Mix.

Same, I’ve been frantically checking every Sunday. They’re rolling it out to groups of users, doesn’t matter what OS you’re on

cjp

Just redeemed a years subscription today that I got for my birthday.

Excited to jump in and start building a collection.

I've mostly just been surviving off podcasts done by artists and record labels, mixes etc.

I got My Chill Mix this week, seems to be widely rolling out if not out there for everyone now.

The new thing to do is to tell Siri to play My Party Mix. New hidden playlist that isn’t live yet!

Ashhong

Does anybody know if Apple has ever said why you can't share a Smart Playlist? It's super frustrating. I use those exclusively with a ton of rules and would like to share it with others. As it is now, I have to manually copy the songs from the Smart Playlist into a regular one that I'm sharing. Just wondering if it's worth my time to request the feature in the beta.

Does anybody know if Apple has ever said why you can't share a Smart Playlist? It's super frustrating. I use those exclusively with a ton of rules and would like to share it with others. As it is now, I have to manually copy the songs from the Smart Playlist into a regular one that I'm sharing. Just wondering if it's worth my time to request the feature in the beta.

Definitely request it, I did. Would be very useful

Shane86

Done with Apple music. Added a new album and listened to all of it. The next day I tried listening to it again and two of the tracks are greyed out saying they are no longer available in my country.

Tomodachi

Done with Apple music. Added a new album and listened to all of it. The next day I tried listening to it again and two of the tracks are greyed out saying they are no longer available in my country.
Hate to get in a thread just to be negative but this so much. Switched to Spotify a few months ago and I could not be more satisfied. Sorry but it's like they're not even trying with the bugs, UI and zero new features month after month.

Hate to get in a thread just to be negative but this so much. Switched to Spotify a few months ago and I could not be more satisfied. Sorry but it's like they're not even trying with the bugs, UI and zero new features month after month.

I've gone back an forth between the two and I'm currently with Apple Music. Neither are perfect in my opinion. Apple Music does have it's bugs and is worse when it comes to playlists. Spotify for me has a worse album selection though. For example, Apple Music has 20 of the 42 Dave Matthews Band Live Trax albums and Spotify only has one plus with Apple Music I can upload the other ones that are missing with Spotify I cannot. I love the social features of Spotify, but in the long run Apple Music is the better service for me because of their music selection.

borghe

I deleted the album just now and re-added it and now all the songs are back. This service is a buggy mess.

this is something apple needs to fix, agreed. this seems to be a case of licensing lapsing or such.. and it borks your already added albums. I am guessing it's the EXACT SAME THING that stops pre-ordered albums from giving you all of the songs when they release.

the fix on our end is easy.. but as someone who uses smart playlists (and likes looking at play counts and such) this is a 100% downgrade from old school itunes

an example is CHVRCHES first album.. I probably have 200+ plays on it.. then one day I went to play it and three songs were unavailable (grayed out). So I had to delete it and re-add it.. and now as far as AM/iTunes is concerned I have like 5 plays on it. When in reality it is probably one of my most played albums of all time.

clearly when licensing drops on a song/album, they have workers that go in and update everyone's libraries.. I don't care how resource expensive it is.. it's a QOL issue to do the reverse.. when licensing re-ups, have workers go in and restore licenses to people's songs..

Tomodachi

I've gone back an forth between the two and I'm currently with Apple Music. Neither are perfect in my opinion. Apple Music does have it's bugs and is worse when it comes to playlists. Spotify for me has a worse album selection though. For example, Apple Music has 20 of the 42 Dave Matthews Band Live Trax albums and Spotify only has one plus with Apple Music I can upload the other ones that are missing with Spotify I cannot. I love the social features of Spotify, but in the long run Apple Music is the better service for me because of their music selection.
I'm sure it is but I mainly listen to very recent releases so they're basically the same on that front (also, spotify has notifications for new releases from artists you follow, I wonder what apple is waiting for to add that as well).

I'm sure it is but I mainly listen to very recent releases so they're basically the same on that front (also, spotify has notifications for new releases from artists you follow, I wonder what apple is waiting for to add that as well).

The thing I hate about Apple Music is that it only seems to get updates for major iOS revisions.

HSyjpJv.jpg

AM notifies new albums!!
http://reddit.com/r/AppleMusic/comments/6yyioi/am_notifies_new_albums/

I’m not dropping my AM sub, but I did sign up for Spotify since they have a student deal going on right now where you get Spotify and Hulu for $4.99. I’ll be curious to see which I use more. Most likely AM since I have some of my own music uploaded there and have built a large library, but we’ll see.

The Spotify/Hulu deal is great. I already have Hulu though with no ads so Im already paying more than double what this offers.

Nonetheless, been happy with apple music which I use outside of work (where I use Spotify because I'm not allowed to install iTunes). The only things I want from Spotify are better Discovery Weekly playlists, the Daily Mixes and where listening past the end of a playlist keeps on going. Though Spotify seems to be more hit or miss lately.

Top Bottom