• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

ixIXSWM.jpg

Mad Men returns this Sunday, April 5th for the final seven episodes of Season 7. Pour yourself a drink, pull up a chair, and let’s enjoy the final few episodes of a great television show.

If you don't have much time and just want a quick set of must-read/view content, check out the following:
AMC said:
Set in 1960s New York, the sexy, stylized and provocative AMC drama Mad Men follows the lives of the ruthlessly competitive men and women of Madison Avenue advertising, an ego-driven world where key players make an art of the sell.

AMCís award-winning drama Mad Men made history as the first basic cable series ever to win the Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series in four consecutive years. Created by Emmy and Golden Globe-winning executive producer Matthew Weiner and produced by Lionsgate, Mad Men has riveted audiences with the seductive and intriguing world of Sterling Cooper & Partners. This season, the seriesí breakout ensemble cast continues to captivate as they grapple with an uncertain new reality.

Created by Emmy and Golden Globe winning executive producer Matthew Weiner, Mad Men is anchored by an award-winning ensemble cast, including Jon Hamm, January Jones, Elisabeth Moss, Vincent Kartheiser, Christina Hendricks, John Slattery, Jessica ParÈ, Rich Sommer, Aaron Staton, Robert Morse, Kiernan Shipka, Jay Ferguson, and Christopher Stanley.

The Premise: The series revolves around the conflicted world of Don Draper (Hamm), the biggest ad man (and ladies man) in the business, and his colleagues at the Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce Advertising Agency. As Don makes the plays in the boardroom and the bedroom, he struggles to stay a step ahead of the rapidly changing times and the young executives nipping at his heels. The series also depicts authentically the roles of men and women in this era while exploring the true human nature beneath the guise of 1960s traditional family values.

05lbLLc.jpg
5heoAV8.jpg
IYeHjDh.jpg

Links
GeneralAMC

qQXdCxi.jpg
miQFZWO.jpg
CvOATif.jpg

Videos:
GJFHHnb.jpg
vX0OjCi.jpg

News & Analysis:
JbLTsMs.jpg
XzpHhq9.jpg
IJxwKph.jpg

Interviews:
- Sepinwall interview: 'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner: 'I feel a sense of accomplishment'
- Slashfilm: 10 Movies That Influenced ‘Mad Men’, According to Matthew Weiner
- Collider (Carousel pitch, Betty shooting pigeons, etc...) - Weiner narrating a few fan favorite scenes, part 1
- Indiewire (lawnmower, Lane vs Pete, Peggy quits, etc...) - Weiner narrating a few fan favorite scenes, part 2
- GQ profile of Jon Hamm
- Boyhood Part 2: From Little Creep to Teenage Wolverine - The Glen Bishop Story
- Esquire: Matthew Weiner on Mad Men's Origins, Peggy's Baby, and Why There Will Never Be a Spinoff
- The Film Society at Lincoln Center: The Close-Up Podcast - ‘Mad Men’ Cast and Creator Look Back at the Popular Series
- NY Times: Growing Up on ‘Mad Men’: A Conversation With Matthew Weiner and Kiernan Shipka

uQAXNRe.jpg
TCvjHOG.jpg

S7, Part 2 Poster:
Reviews
Tim Goodman's review for THR said:
Where Weiner takes the remainder of the series is, obviously, the great unknown that’s so anticipated by fans and by critics who will be attempting, in short order, to place Mad Men in just the right place in the pantheon of brilliant shows. How this final season wraps up will go a long way toward those judgments, but it should be noted up front that getting closure on all of the Mad Men characters and themes may not be the single most important notion for Weiner. He may tidy everything up and shut the door with an audible click of the lock, or he might not – choosing instead to be more nebulous and vague (which would be in keeping with the show’s tone).

He need not go out with a bang of fireworks or some finale that makes everybody happy. He just needs to maintain the highest standards that have inched Mad Men to this place in the pantheon in the first place.

Like the previous seven episodes, there’s no evidence at all that Weiner or the series will stumble in that regard. Mad Men remains, for the viewers who have embraced it the most fervently, a richly rewarding, wholly excellent work of fiction.
Variety said:
With the advance restrictions imposed by series creator Matthew Weiner, up to and including the passage of time, reviewing a “Mad Men” premiere is a Nik Wallenda-worthy balancing act, which might explain why many prefer detailed recaps. Still, what AMC is billing as “The End of an Era” deserves a proper sendoff, starting with a general sense of whether this signature drama — the one that made “Breaking Bad” possible — looks headed in the right direction. Certainly, the first of the four-time Emmy winner’s seven final hours contains intriguing developments, without offering many clues about where this last campaign will lead.
NY Daily News said:
The unsettled feeling on the screen is also distinct from the wistful resignation of viewers who know that some of TV’s sharpest characters are about to leave us. It’s hard to explain exactly what happens in the season premiere, because creator Matthew Weiner prefers to let viewers experience it themselves. And good for him. But it can safely be said that we’re not sailing into these last episodes like kids cruising in muscle cars with the tops down.
EW said:
I am happy to report that the first of Mad Men’s final seven episodes is as fine as a silky fur, give or take a hilariously hideous period mustache and some too-on-the-nose lines and symbolism. I’d be sweating “We’ve seen all this before” tedium if this weren’t the last season. But it is, and so an episode that rephrases and forwards the show’s themes, conflicts, and concerns—especially the institutionalized sexism of our culture—powerfully launches Mad Men toward a final statement. A-
Esquire said:
Weiner's craft should keep dedicated viewers' jaws on the floor. He does it with one fresh episode. That's the power of Don Draper. This generational proxy can stand in a room, staring into the distance, music cues haunting him like ghosts, and that adrenaline rush still kicks in. Mad Men is perfectly composed. It's already classic.
IndieWire said:
The final season premiere of Matthew Weiner's game-changing cable drama sets a tone both unique and familiar to the franchise. Don Draper is again on a journey of self-fulfillment in Episode 8, but the players, setting and his mentality have again shifted with time.

rnsOrjr.png

Amir0x

Banned
I can't believe this show is going to end now. I've got few staple TV shows I make sure never to miss, and this is one of the rare ones :(

phanphare

Banned
nice OT! watched the first two episodes of the show last night after finishing up the first half of season 7 again. crazy how far the show has come.

Brilliant OT. I had forgotten this was coming so soon, but I guess that's how crummy I felt about the whole splitting the season in two. Will definitely watch though. Hopefully the finale lives up to the show's standards.

T Dollarz

I watched the entire series on Netflix last year leading up to the beginning of season 7. It was truly an incredible experience. What a phenomenal series. I'm not ready to say goodbye.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nice work as usual Cornballer. Just finished my rewatch last night, so I'm good to go. Going to be a bummer with this and Justified going out this year.

Amir0x

Banned
God, I'll miss this show.

I don't think it will ever get enough credit for being as consistently inventive and daring as it is.

hope some of the main actors can be recognized in award season at least :/

travesty how that's gone for the last six and a half seasons

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
So sad to see this end.

I want a spinoff with Sally as the protagonist.
Weiner, give me a call, I've got ideas.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Happy that this useless wait for the final 7 episodes is finally close to an end. Hope the hiatus pays off for AMC somehow...

This is going to be one of those shows where the characters stay with me long after it's ended. From time to time I'll probably find myself wondering where they are, what they're up to, how they've aged, and so on. :(

LCfiner

One of the best of all time. I'm confident they can stick the landing and still manage to surprise us. Can't wait for this to start

f0rk

In my top 3 of all time. Very enjoyable on multiple rewatching, even if you just pick out a random episode (unlike the wire where you need to have committed). Will be going through part 1 again this week.

That last promo picture looks like the Netflix image for a show I haven't watched and can't remember the name.

Oh man, I can't believe this is the last season.

I already said farewell to Breaking Bad, and now this. TV series will never be the same.

Pryce

One of the all-time greats, of any genre. It'll be a long time before we see a show this good again.

(I'm not ready to put The Americans up there yet)

Ravager61

This might be my favorite show of all time. I'm sad to see it end but it's good that it's not overstaying it's welcome either.

I have faith that the ending will be satisfying.

Real Hero

If we see ginsberg again it will be in the final montage and he will be in a straight jacket in a padded cell or something.

Top Bottom