• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

I I haven't watched this show at all but I heard a theory that the main character is actually
D B Cooper.
Has the show been been going in that direction?

I keep forgetting what happened last season whenever we start back up again. First episode is just me being confused and slowly remembering everything.

- NY Times: As ‘Mad Men’ Comes to an End, Jon Hamm Reflects on Don Draper

Hamm talking about "The Wheel", "The Suitcase", etc...
The Teary Carousel

(Season 1, “The Wheel”)

In a stirring and intensely personal pitch, Draper demonstrates how a simple Kodak slide projector can also be a time machine, and reminds us why nostalgia — Greek for “the pain from an old wound” — is “delicate but potent.”

“It was the end of the first season, and the show hadn’t been picked up [for Season 2]. We didn’t know if anybody was going to watch it. We wondered if that was going to be the end of the series. It’s an important moment in the development of the character, where people go, ‘Oh, this guy’s not just a sweet-talking guy in a fancy suit. He’s a soulful person.’ It was beautifully shot. We didn’t really want to use a working slide projector, they’re crazy noisy, so we had some digital thing. But the slides looked wrong somehow. We had to fix that and make them smudgy. At some point we ended up just running the slide projector in the room. I don’t know [how people were reacting to the speech]. I wasn’t exactly running back to the monitors, seeing how every line was landing. I was pretty focused on myself.”
Peggy and Don, Part 2

(Season 7, “The Strategy”)

Having spent laborious weeks creating a seemingly perfect campaign for the fast-food chain Burger Chef, Draper and Olson scrap it for a better one that she composes at the last minute. Proud of his pupil, Draper takes her hand, and they slow dance to Frank Sinatra’s “My Way.”

“It is very tender, and it’s loaded with meaning. For Don, part of that moment is letting go, letting her do it. Then that song comes on: Frank Sinatra, another person who’s a vestige of this older generation, on his quote-unquote last legs, and that song was a huge hit. As the camera pulls away, there’s a reflection of them both in the window, of what is and what might have been. It’s such a wonderful button on their relationship. That was choreographed, but it’s not as technical as all that. You’ve got a little wiggle room. There’s a wonderful image from the end of Season 5, where we’re all standing, backlit by a bank of windows. And everybody is in their little window, except me. So I clearly missed my mark. I started rationalizing it. I’m like, ‘Maybe they wanted Don a little out of the box.’ Everyone was perfectly lined up except me. I’ll call myself out on that.”

don is actually db cooper ? Whoa

oops sorry spoiler alert !
DsrcMuY.gif

- Daily Beast Interview: Jon Hamm Hangs Up Don Draper’s Suit, Reflects on the Deepest, Darkest Role of His Career
“I think he’s fundamentally a very broken person,” Hamm says. “He keeps trying to rebuild his house—his life—on a foundation that’s cracked, and not suitable, so he keeps running into the same problems. Is he a douchebag? No. He’s not the most irredeemable person in the world; he’s just confounding sometimes. You want to go, ‘Come on, man! Get it together! Do the right thing!’ but you realize that for some people, doing the right thing is really, really hard, and it takes a lot of active soul-searching. And often, these people have been rewarded for doing the wrong thing.”

This show is going to nail the final episodes. I feel it in my bones.

I also feel terrible sadness and loss, and it hasn't even ended yet.

To say the least, this mourning period is going to be...difficult.

wingwah

Banned
Yeah. Always had a soft spot for him. Although his arc was disturbing and wrapped up, so I doubt we will. :(
His story was never really fleshed out. I wonder if some of his tidbits about being born in a holocaust concentration camp were either delusions or fact.

Jigorath

Banned
I I haven't watched this show at all but I heard a theory that the main character is actually
D B Cooper.
Has the show been been going in that direction?

So if Don Draper = DB Cooper

And DB Cooper = Tommy Wiseau

Then Don Draper = lol

berzeli

Banned
Man, it will feel so weird when this is all over, truly one of the greatest shows ever.

Now I just need to figure out how to watch the bugger over here.

JTripper

My predictions for the end:

Don
is gonna leave New York permanently (maybe go to California)

Betty
will not change much. She'll stay a traditional house wife and have to come to terms with the changing world around her.

Peggy
will become the new Don. She'll either replace him or start her own company, maybe not even in advertising. I don't think she'll find love either, but there might be hope for something.

Joan
will marry Roger.

Roger
will retire and when he does, he'll propose to Joan.

Pete
won't have a positive ending. I just don't see how he could. I don't think he'll die, but he is a glutton for trouble. He's always been sort of the Anti-Don.

As for the kids,
they'll probably stay with Betty, but maybe Sally will end up staying with Don wherever he goes.I don't think she'll continue to grow up in New York.

Maengun1

The wait since "Waterloo" has felt eternal, but now that it's only 6 days away I want the calendar to slow down. These seven weeks are going to fly by and I'm not ready.

People are probably gonna get so angry at the ambiguous ending, but I'll adore it :D

The ending of The Sopranos is honestly one of my favorite things about the show.

wedward

Best show on TV.

Looking forward to an ambiguous ending. I don't think it needs to be wrapped up with a bow nor would it fit the tone of the show.

Would have liked to do a full rewatch leading up to the premier but I didn't have the time.

I think i'll try and watch the first 7 episodes of season 7 before Sunday.

Jeels

I went through the end of high school, through college, and started working on Mad Men. This is going to leave a pretty big hole in my life.

I went through the end of high school, through college, and started working on Mad Men. This is going to leave a pretty big hole in my life.

I know what you're feeling. I went through a January 2015 watching Mad Men. This show going off the air is going to reflect massively on that month.

Salsa

wonder if AMC will ever get another era like this

FgQV6NI.jpg

"The first time I met Bryan Cranston, he was standing in his underwear. We were doing a photo shoot for a little-known network called AMC, and he was in a rubber chemistry apron, tighty whities and desert boots, while I was in an impeccably tailored 1960s suit, with slicked-back hair and a cigarette dangling from my mouth. Our shows hadn’t premiered yet. We were simply two actors, in costume and out of context. He was friendly, funny, gregarious, humble and lovely.” - Jon Hamm

Pryce

wonder if AMC will ever get another era like this

FgQV6NI.jpg

Much like with HBO with The Wire and The Sopranos, probably not. A network having two shows like that running at the same time in their prime (maybe FX's The Americans and Justified is another one) is a once in a decade thing.

Top Bottom