• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mad Men - Season 7, Part 2 - The End of an Era - AMC Sundays

Pryce

More reviews:

Time

It makes for a slow but haunting last beginning. The final overture is well-orchestrated by Weiner.

Roger Epert

Weiner anchors every episode around Don but lets the planets that orbit him change from episode to episode. Don’t worry. The season premiere isn’t all Ken Cosgrove. Peggy (Elisabeth Moss) and Joan (Christina Hendricks) get an interesting subplot that proves that Mad Men is not done discussing the changing role of women in the business world and the way they’re treated differently than their male peers.

Boston Herald

It’s not the end of an era. It’s the end of a good, occasionally great show that overstayed its welcome.

FYI, the Boston Herald guy gave "Low Winter Son" an A-, so, you know.

Pryce

Washington Post

This is my last waltz with Weiner’s obsession with secrecy, in which he allows AMC to send critics a single episode to review along with a list of what not to reveal (anything, everything). Secrecy — and an ambiguity about true meaning — will be “Mad Men’s” legacy, a show that is so fussy about verisimilitude that it struggles to reveal its characters and their stories in a plain manner. I won’t tell you what else happens in the episode, mainly because not much happens. Don, Peggy, Joan: The end is quickly approaching, but “Mad Men” still offers no hope of a broad statement or definitive conclusion. The use of Peggy Lee’s “Is That All There Is?” can’t help but come across as a deliberate taunt; Weiner has already hinted that tidy wrap-ups for every last character may not be in the cards. If that sort of news troubles you, then it’s possible that you gave up on the show long ago

"Mad Men is not plot driven enough".

I would not consider this a spoiler, but my memory is that Season 2 is the slowest.

EDIT: Or do you mean The Americans?

I felt like 3 was the slowest, until the last few episodes, then it became amazing.

Is there anything on YouTube I can watch to recap what's happened in the series so far? It feels like it's been forever since I've last watched Mad Men, and I know I'll be forgetting important moments.

Fjordson

Boston Herald

FYI, the Boston Herald guy gave "Low Winter Son" an A-, so, you know.
W1pGT.gif

Less reviews, more speeding up the Earth's rotation so that we can see the episode already.

If we all walk with the rotation, we should be able to speed up time. or not. we'll at least get some cardio going.

wingwah

Banned
'Slow but haunting...'

I enjoyed this tidbit, but that would be a perfect way to describe the series as a whole. I just hope things don't get rushed in the final two episodes due to a slow beginning.

wingwah

Banned
I felt like 3 was the slowest, until the last few episodes, then it became amazing.

Is there anything on YouTube I can watch to recap what's happened in the series so far? It feels like it's been forever since I've last watched Mad Men, and I know I'll be forgetting important moments.
I mostly agree, but Mad Men is best when it's slow. Season 3 is perfect, and that slow—but consistent—pace leads to one of the best season finales in television history which is the complete opposite of a slow narrative.

Kacar

I think its possible that the "nostalgia" trailer for these last episodes is my favorite trailer for anything, movie, TV, or game. Mad Men one of the GOATs

Pryce

Don's interaction with the soldier in season six, at both the hotel and by the pool in "A Tale of Two Cities" remain a few of my most favorite moments of the entire show. I love when Mad Men gets dark like that.

Don (When looking at the soldier, who is now dead, for the first time since the hotel).

Soldier: My wife thinks I'm MIA, but I'm actually dead.
Don: How come you didn't get your arm back?
Soldier: Dying doesn't make you whole. You should see what you look like.

I would link it, but I don't believe that it's on youtube.

How long has it been since the midseason finale? I sure as hell don't remember anything that's going on except Don visiting his old house or something.

"Waterloo" was last May. Don visiting his old house/brothel ("In Care Of") was the season six finale.

I also couldn't remember much of the first half because in my mind season six episodes were kind of blending in. Damn AMC split.

"Waterloo" was last May. Don visiting his old house/brothel ("In Care Of") was the season six finale.

I also couldn't remember much of the first half because in my mind season six episodes were kind of blending in. Damn AMC split.

See that's how much I missed. I guess I need to catch up!

Top Bottom