• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

- Globe and Mail review
The off-kilter humour and nightmarish, haunting violence mean that Fargo isn’t for everyone. But it is magnificent storytelling. Brace yourself and just go with the storm of “unfathomable pinheadery.” It’s worth it.
- Chicago Tribune review
The year changes, as do the characters. But the setting, the overriding mood and look and vibe, those remain the same. That's either reassuring or repetitive and it is too early in the season to gauge just yet.

- Boston Globe review
Back in 2015, I made FX’s anthology drama “Fargo” my No. 1 series of the year. That second season of Noah Hawley’s remake of the Coen brothers’ movie was an extraordinary take on murder and mayhem in the Midwest — and it was remarkably original, too, as it moved beyond the source material. After watching the premiere of the third season of “Fargo,” which airs Wednesday at 10 p.m., I sense that I just may need to put the show at the top of this year’s list, too. It’s as confidently filmed as season 2, with witty musical choices and a falling-air-conditioner-cam, and the plotting promises all kinds of the cosmic surprises that have become a “Fargo” trademark. And then the script is a model of tonal elasticity and a gift bag of twisted and comic pieces of wisdom.

So the consensus is that this might be getting too repetitive for the anthology format. Maybe a setting change in a non-small town/snowy area could be a good change for Hawley but I guess that gets away from the spirit of Fargo. Could a more western feel set in Texas could work?

So the consensus is that this might be getting too repetitive for the anthology format. Maybe a setting change in a non-small town/snowy area could be a good change for Hawley but I guess that gets away from the spirit of Fargo. Could a more western feel set in Texas could work?
Right, I think the majority of concerns about the new season are that they've already used the setting twice, so it's starting to feel a little same-y. The problem with an anthology series is that you can get some similar character archetypes, but then you don't get the series long character arcs that might inform and change what these characters are. Keep in mind that most of the reviews like this said that Fargo is still good/great at what it does, but they note that it might start to feel a little stale if you're not really into it. They also note that they've only seen two episodes, so who knows how it'll all end up by the finale. We'll see!

FWIW, I don't think a change of venue is on the cards given the title of the series, but who knows what Hawley has cooked up for future seasons.

Right, I think the majority of concerns about the new season are that they've already used the setting twice, so it's starting to feel a little same-y. The problem with an anthology series is that you can get some similar character archetypes, but then you don't get the series long character arcs that might inform and change what these characters are. Keep in mind that most of the reviews like this said that Fargo is still good/great at what it does, but they note that it might start to feel a little stale if you're not really into it. They also note that they've only seen two episodes, so who knows how it'll all end up by the finale. We'll see!

FWIW, I don't think a change of venue is on the cards given the title of the series, but who knows what Hawley has cooked up for future seasons.

Does anyone really care though? I mean if it continues doing what it does so well do we really need a different setting/characters?

- Colorado Springs Gazette review
Grade: A. Season three maintains "Fargo's" unconventional feel but in a way that's even more engaging than previous seasons. Despite all the criminality, there's something a little lighter and more humorous to this season, which I was drawn to. "Fargo" is off to an excellent start.
- Screencrush review
And that might be why Fargo’s spark feels a trifle faded; we’ve seen so many of these characters and elements in different configurations before. I had the same sort of feeling with Legion. You can toss in all the classic rock and stylized montages of urine samples as you like, but the story beneath is still lacking. The boxes are all checked, and decent Fargo is better than 70 percent of the TV out there, but it’s especially daunting in a month that brings us more urgent meditations on existential dread like The Leftovers, Hulu’s Handmaid’s Tale, or even Starz’s American Gods.
They also note that Gaffigan doesn't appear this season due to a scheduling conflict.

Does anyone really care though? I mean if it continues doing what it does so well do we really need a different setting/characters?
I don't care because I loved the first two seasons, but obviously some people do. And that's ok. Plenty of other shows to watch if Fargo isn't scratching your itch.

- NY Mag review
Even if some of the characters seem familiar or we recognize some of the narrative beats before they’re hit, we know from the very moment it begins that Fargo once again has a great, big story to tell us, and that means it’s time to settle in for the ride, wherever that old Corvette may take us.
- LA Times review
But this is a beautifully constructed space for a viewer to occupy for a while, while the story plays out — it's a place to go, though, title aside, that place is not necessarily, or ever, Fargo, N.D.

- Screencrush review
The boxes are all checked, and decent Fargo is better than 70 percent of the TV out there, but it's especially daunting in a month that brings us more urgent meditations on existential dread like The Leftovers, Hulu's Handmaid's Tale, or even Starz's American Gods.

I don't care because I loved the first two seasons, but obviously some people do. And that's ok. Plenty of other shows to watch if Fargo isn't scratching your itch.

Telling me the Leftovers and American Gods are better than Fargo (we all know Leftovers is already, least when you want to feel sublime despair lol) isn't going to stop me from loving every moment of Fargo but it sure as hell is making the wait for AG excruciating!

Yeah, I don't think the concept of this series is dynamic enough to go on indefinitely. I'd really like to see what Hawley could do riffing off another Coens movie (maybe Raising Ariziona), or with something original. His book would probably make a for a good miniseries.

- YahooTV review
With Carrie Coon leading this procession by scrupulously avoiding any cutesy line-reading or reaction, I’m thoroughly committed to the new season of Fargo, no matter where it roams.
- Boston Herald review
Two episodes aren’t enough to say whether it is justified as more than Emmy bait for McGregor. Of the two roles, he seems more convincing as Ray. Thewlis oozes menace and charm as a mobster who has seen the world — and probably filled a few mass graves. As a cunning ex-con, Winstead just might have the role of her career, and here’s hoping the show draws together her schemer and Coon’s virtuous officer.

IronRinn

Almost time.

(Unrelated: I always see the gif from Taken 3 for climbing the fence with a bajillion cuts but it seems like the whole movie is like that. Have it on in the background and I feel like I'm gonna have a seizure if I look at it for too long.)

Top Bottom