• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

foImfnw.png

OT1 | OT2 | OT3 | OT4 | OT5 | OT6 | OT7 | OT8 | OT9 | OTX | OT11 | OT12 | OT13 | OT14 | OT15 | OT16 | OT17 | OT18

Welcome to the Black Culture Thread, where everything from Little Caesars to 'what's hot on the streets' is up for debate. This community is focused on the discussion and experience of daily life for minorities. GAF is a rather large forum, and these unique experiences can get lost in the noise. But while this thread was created to ensure certain topics relevant to the black community could be discussed reasonably, this isn't a "Blacks Only" spot by any means. Any and all are free to hop in, regardless of skin color, ethnicity and walk of life. Consider it open mic: all are welcome to keep it real. It's a community thread, so it can be intimidating for newcomers to jump in considering all the in-jokes and general cadence of the thread. If you are unfamiliar with anything, just ask. We are always looking for more decent folks to bring into the family.

Enjoy your stay. Don't track dirt all over the good carpet.​

xxSNKEs.png

Previously in BCT...

T9rpUYZ.gif

blmnVr1.png

Standard, standard.

leg5lM4.png

First time here? Long time lurker, first time poster?
Tell us who you are by filling out this quick questionnaire:
Where you're from -
Where you live -
What is your age? -
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy -
Do you know your roots -
Favorite musical genre -
Your profession/major/career interest -
Your religious affiliation -
Hobbies -
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? -
Marvel or DC? -
Favorite superhero? -
Anime or Nah? -
Favorite sport and team? -
What's your favorite Disney movie? -
What's your favorite video game and genre?

The acclaimed (sorta?) occasional podcast featuring Moris, Slayven, Angelus, and Dream.

| LATEST EPISODE |

Episode #44: Gentrification
Angelus, Mike & Moris take the first 30 minutes to talk about gentrification. Topics thereafter: Fuck Donald Trump - Pepsi's AD - Ghost In A Flop - Marvel/DC Diversity.
Click to stream | Right-click to download

The keeper of the BCT canon has compiled a dramatis personae for new users:

Slayven = Man born in 1776 who only likes Asian women and comics
Prototype Viktor/BlackGhost/dskillzhtown/TheSun/Darryl M R/4 is a cutie = Selling mixtapes on the corner
Gordon = Alien from an ancient TV show. Eats kittens and argues with Slayven over chicken recipes.
Shy = John Boyega. The protector of the Red, the Black, and the Green.
Imm0rt4l = Swole
_***** = Died for our sins
Merc_ = _***** returns
DY = Doesn't pay child support.
Young Magus = DY Junior.
Furyous = DY's alt
LionPride = :3
UnemployedVillain = Spends his unemployment checks on Switch games.
EloquentM/EstoyBlackWaldo/Forearm Star/EdibleKnife/ArgyleReptile/Face it Tiger.. = Wild crabs. No home training and still out here wearing hoodies.
FeenixRising = Sits front row with Momma Feenix at the Puff Daddy and the Family Reunion concert.
Black Republican = New member of the Trick Daddy Booty Gang.
harSon = Drake
Jandro = Horse/Brony
EscoBlades = Works in a broom closet
JC = Keep him away from your mommas.
Ironfist Sect = Quit GAF. We miss him.
Numb = New guy, thinks he's Ironfist Sect.
Bronx-Man = Former L champion. Lost his title to TheAdder.
TheBlackMarvel/Beefy = Heads of Black Euro GAF
MWS Natural = Writes laws
Kid Kamikaze10/Lightning_Roller/Faustek/Hero Prinny/Yaphett Kotto/FadedRevolution/Gattsu25/ Confusion Illusion/Smiles and Cries = Lil Crabs. Found books, a suit, and got a Lil home training
The Artisan = Wanted by the IRS.
FyreWulff = Your white friend. Got to have him around.
Royalan = Got that good salad hair.
FreeMufasa = acclaimed author of the Niggas in Japan series
ManMadeMan/Parallax/ReiGun = Comic encyclopedias
Crocodile/zeemumu/Secret Fawful/Momotaro/Jackben/TheFlow/LotusHD/Nudull/darklin0 = Anime encyclopedias
Sou Da/RedHoodedOwl/TheGreatDirector = Cartoon encyclopedias
Village/Professor Beef/Zaverious = Sonic encyclopedias
HTown = Mark Henry/Nintendo Encyclopedia. Discovered a connection in racism and quantum locks.
Nakazato/bobbychalkers/MikeBreezy92/shingi70/ApharmdX/Zekes!/Kave_Man/Blasian Persuasion= Smarty Art Crabs. Think they're leaving the bucket by picking up books, getting married and bettering themselves.
SENPAIatLARGE = Making food for the BCT cookout.
Bish/Devo/Satch/Vince McMahon/Moris/Rio/captmcblack/jmood88/jWILL253/double jump/ spindashing/Jacir/Kraftwerk/Africanus = Alumni. Found a cheat code out the bucket.
Angelus = totes mixed with /s
Ishi = A Bear and BCT Alumni
Massive Duck, C.M. = Put in a lot of labor for black issues
Trey = Lost his thread making abilities to Subzero.
Subzero = Artist. Lost his thread making abilities to Malyse/DreamDrop
Malyse = Tumblr and Cosplay expert. Lost his thread making abilities to Sch1sm.
Sch1sm = The current Highlander
Kreed = Too much free time
Mrs. Manky/andthebeatgoeson/The Faceless Master/Big Baybee/soundscream/superkool/mr jones = Sits on the corner and kicks knowledge.
Akira28/cdyhybrid = The guy that kicks knowledge but doesn't look like they should be kicking knowledge
The Adder = Current holder of the L Championship. Has a lot of stories.
Emperor_EL = Claims to be the ruler of Ls but won’t fight for a championship.
neojubei/Aiustis/Izuna = Humble by Kendrick Lamar
Enzom21/Infinite/excelsiorlef/D i Z/Frozenprince/DerangedHermit = On the front lines
JeanGrey = Lives with an alien
Dai101/Dereck/RedSwirl/Crimson_Gold/hypernima/Bubba T/Afrocious/Kyledk05/Zekes!/Loudninja/Mizerman = Black Belt Crabs. Have accepted the rules of the bucket.
Storm Chamber = Silky Johnson
MHWilliams= Your local hood police.
XiaNaphryz = Chef that works part time in the hood police
Dreams-Visions = Mr. Steal your girl
Johndoey = Opposite Day

Go4EqGy.png

SyZRFDY.png

Natural's Law
Natural's Law - is a humorous observation made by GAF poster MWS Natural in 2011 which is becoming an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving black people approaches 1. In other words, Natural put forth the hyperbolic observation that, given enough time, in any online discussion regarding any form of conflict someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to discrimination faced by blacks.
Racism is Quantum-Locked
Racism is weird. Everybody knows it totally exists, but when you look at any specific situation, racism is never involved. You can know that it exists, but when you look for it, it turns into something else.

Don%27t_blink.jpg

Racism is quantum locked. It doesn't exist when it's being observed. The moment it is seen by any living creature, it freezes into a coincidence.
The Liberal Limit
And while we’re at it, let’s talk about another thing that has been pissing me the fuck off recently. Lately, in the pages of liberal bastions like Atlantic, Slate, and New Republic, there has been this movement gaining steam largely because nobody wants to give it a name. So let me name this mofo: The Liberal Limit. You know it— in fact it’s been the view of many liberals and leftists, but particularly old white liberal men (yeah I said it), that progressiveness has gone too far, so far that even their privilege now feels attacked.

They’re tired of learning new gender pronouns. Tired of hiding that nigger joke book. Tired of having to figure out how to respond to a Rihanna video. Tired of feminists of colour pointing out fissures in whatever wave of feminism we got right now. Tired of black kids on campus whining all the time. Tired of everybody being so angry because without their alliance all you coloured folk would be doomed. Liberal but up to the point where it scrapes on privilege.

But here’s the news. You’re a progressive. You’re supposed to progress. You’re supposed to be more liberal today than you were yesterday. Yes, we’re supposed to passionately debate (not tear down) even the stance of our allies, even those who agree with us 60% of the time. You’re supposed to keep changing your views on race because even the most positive view is inherently flawed and needs work. The whole point to being liberal, to being progressive is to continuously evolve, continuously question, continuously debate, even continuously knock down and build up, sometimes even ripping everything apart to start again. My views on trans people are different in 2014 that they were in 2004. And you can bet your ass it will be even better in 2024 than it is now, because that's what makes me not conservative. The point to being a progressive is to fucking progress.
"Whiteness"
"White" was basically a concept made up by the bourgeois centuries ago to prevent indentured and poor whites and enslaved blacks from realizing they were on the same side economically and socially and revolting together. It characterized the ruling class as a sort of standard that lower-class whites could live up to- gave them a taste of power- and thus racial divisions occurred.

Once you understand this, every racial issue in America logically follows: You understand why different European groups like the Irish and Italians were forced to leave behind the depths of their cultures for the security of being considered "white." You understand why Asians even tried at all to legally argue in court that they too should be considered "white." As a result of this attempt at assimilating all of these different cultures and peoples down into this one thing called "whiteness" or "white culture," you understand why even most white people can't actually tell you what "white culture" is, a peculiar problem not faced by ethnic minorities like black people, Latino groups, Asians, and natives.

You understand why white people will, on average, see other poor whites (like those unfortunate coal miners) as undeserving victims of an unfair system while poor blacks are just lazy welfare queens and poor Latinos are all illegals who are undermining proper work standards and diluting the gene pool. You understand why the nearly free land and money grants given to white people by the government throughout this country's history are not considered welfare, while welfare initiatives that work to include minorities too are indicative of "handouts" and "entitlements" that they don't deserve. You understand why white people love the ACA but hate Obamacare. You understand why white people overwhelmingly voted for Trump while most other ethnic minorities- even those who face the exact same kind of economic dead ends that poor white people do- voted the other way regardless.

And finally, you understand why people who look white regardless of them actually being of Iranian descent like JonTron will basically throw themselves on the spear and turn their backs on who they really are to defend whiteness. Because ultimately, "white" means power, and the long and short of it is people don't want to give up their power.

685f28394e2afe6e2a0aab9fd5ad06b7.jpg

CQtpK5AU8AA-bS8.png:large

2016-03-14-1457975323-396120-boesk2.jpg
oPJjOaD.png

I am trying to get paid in Asian women. Shit I would sign up to be a slave again if I could make some red kool-aid using Kristen Kruek's grey water
I would lick a gaffer's bathtub clean just to smell one of her burps
You guys don't know what it feels like to have your heart betrayed like this. I just got cuckolded by a damn video game conpany. It's like if they announced Crash or Laura Croft for Smash. There's just some lines you don't cross.
--
My mom trying to see DMX, im trying my hardest to talk her out of this fuckery.

Talkin about "I wanna hear him bark...." NO MOM!
My mom is still on this DMX thing man, no we not going damn!!
"Mom, Janet Jackson is going to be here on the 10th, we can go see that."

"I don't care about no Janet!!! She old!!!"

"YOURE TRYING TO SEE A 45 YEAR OLD MAN BARK FOR TWO HOURS!!!!!"

"So?"

Ugh....
Moms ain't trying to watch Janet Jackson slinky tail waggle all over the stage. She wants to see a real man, who lives as a dog, barking and growling and rough riding.
Why you always keeping X and your mom apart like this?
If I have kids I hope they never hide DMX from me.
--
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1353611

I need to know how these people lived into adulthood.

Putting superglue in your mouth on a damn tooth?

Jesus Christ and I thought my threads were bad....

You should keep thinking that, tbh.
Damn i thought Canadians were nice. Corner Gas and The littlest hobo lied to me
--
yDxO4.jpg

Energy to talk shit but no strength to back it
--
We're doing BCT Yaoi now? Who's being shipped with who?

Feenix
Not like this!

The BCT tumblr fandom must know this information. I have a sizesble fan base ya know?

No we're fucking not.
P3upP5c.gif

1NwzS9Y.png

LionPride

Banned
I don't really care if you cry
On the real you should've never lied
Should've saw the way she looked me in my eyes
She said, "Baby, I am not afraid to die"
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge

Song of the Year damn it

Carrying over from the last thread:

C_trzJrV0AER8_2.jpg

Why are the 3 red hats surrounding the only black guy in formation

It's Liberty University there are probably 10 black people on that college total. LU is a evangelical Christian college, and they were wearing those MAGA hats because Trump spoke at their graduation.

I don't feel any sympathy for him tbh.

Numb

Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge

4DKJPS1.gif

Sch1sm

The other thread got closed so I'm posting this again so more would see it.

Do y'all like talking in depth about video games?

Depends on the video game in question. I don't think there's a significant amount I can talk in depth about, outside puzzlers/strategy, horror, and fighting. Beyond that, I'm pretty much useless for "in depth" conversation. I enjoy it, though. Especially for puzzlers.

Sch1sm

If it ain't in depth, it ain't a conversation worth having imo.

I feel like that entirely depends. Sometimes people aren't looking for the in depth deal. Could be as easy as helping someone figure out a section, or offering an offhanded opinion on x trait, no?

I do, provided it's an interesting topic and the participants aren't being ridiculous.

Depends on the video game in question. I don't think there's a significant amount I can talk in depth about, outside puzzlers/strategy, horror, and fighting. Beyond that, I'm pretty much useless for "in depth" conversation. I enjoy it, though. Especially for puzzlers.
If it ain't in depth, it ain't a conversation worth having imo.

Okay then. I was just wondering because I don't ever see any of y'all participate in the games of the generation voting threads. The current one is for the PS3/360/Wii gen, which given how recent it is should inquire a lot of in-depth talk since you won't have to dig so far back in you memory for it. I usually always post long entries for my votes. Right now, I'm just waiting until I can buy a new controller or borrow someone else's for my PS3 since the person I bought it from last year sold me fucked up controllers. I got a lot of new games with it, but I don't want to vote without playing those first.

D i Z

I feel like that entirely depends. Sometimes people aren't looking for the in depth deal. Could be as easy as helping someone figure out a section, or offering an offhanded opinion on x trait, no?

True. Speaking for myself exclusively, you know.
Actual deep dive, crack it open and examine it kind of conversations rarely get past personal preferences, impressions and rankings. It's...disappointing on a gaming forum.

Edit:

Case in point.

Okay then. I was just wondering because I don't ever see any of y'all participate in the games of the generation voting threads. The current one is for the PS3/360/Wii gen, which given how recent it is should inquire a lot of in-depth talk since you won't have to dig so far back in you memory for it. I usually always post long entries for my votes. Right now, I'm just waiting until I can buy a new controller or borrow someone else's for my PS3 since the person I bought it from last year sold me fucked up controllers. I got a lot of new games with it, but I don't want to vote without playing those first.

I get what you're saying Blasian. I'll check it out and see if I have anything to contribute.

cdyhybrid

Ah. I honestly rarely go to Gaming side.

Plus, a lot of the games I play are "old". I don't really keep up with a lot of the new releases.

Sch1sm

Only gaming side I frequent is Steam GAF, and it's also the only voting I participate in. Steam GAF GOTY is my one and only.

I know I'm here at least 2x as much tho.

You're there more at some hours, he's there more at others. Some of us just talk too much. King Crab 1 and 2 out here taking up 10-15 pages a piece themselves on 100ppp. smh.

My cpt ass finally saw Get Out. That first 30min was the most cringe worthy shit Ive sat through in awhile.

I never post in those because most people dont truly play everything, and fall in line with their own basis. Id listen/watch professional game journalist discuss it but even then your going to have opinions weigh things towards there personal taste, but I at least feel they would try to be a littile more objective, and they have the recources to try and play everthing.

akira28

I can't really argue games with GAF. I can discuss certain aspects in depth sometimes, but games as a general topic and 'what people like', its just too broad.

i look at the games of the generation threads and I'm like...i've been playing games for so long oh my god

You can have my spot, cat..I won't be competing ��

I even lost out to doey.

Shy

Mitghy fine work on the new thread Sch1sm. Mighty fine.
4Gceb55.png

------------------

Everyone! together at the top of your voice.... To love! To shine!

-----------------

I just watched the documentary. Mifune: The Last Samurai.

It was quite good.
You should give it a watch if you're a fan of Japanese cinema.

It's on Netflx in the states.

D i Z

Would be more interested in seeing a top ten of the most over rated games of last gen with explanations and no rebuttals. Or the top ten games that did it first and better but didn't get the credit.

Would be more interested in seeing a top ten of the most over rated games of last gen with explanations and no rebuttals. Or the top ten games that did it first and better but didn't get the credit.

You got me looking at a Top 10 Robot ad. Stop saying that! 😁

My cpt ass finally saw Get Out. That first 30min was the most cringe worthy shit Ive sat through in awhile.

I never post in those because most people dont truly play everything, and fall in line with their own basis. Id listen/watch professional game journalist discuss it but even then your going to have opinions weigh things towards there personal taste, but I at least feel they would try to be a littile more objective, and they have the recources to try and play everthing.

That's silly cause no one can play everything. You know how many video games are made yearly? Even if you limited yourself to Steam it seem you wouldn't be able to play everything. Of course it's going to be subjective. That's the nature of the medium. Different things are going to click from person to person.

Penguin

The other thread got closed so I'm posting this again so more would see it.

Do y'all like talking in depth about video games?

I like talking about a lot of things

In depth is a different beast. Not really games, but usually the game industry. And talking. I can't hold my own attention to have long-winded online conversations.

FZZ

Banned
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge
All my friends are dead
Push me to the edge

Song of the Year damn it

Real

D i Z

Sch1sm. The link for the newest SWS to download or stream is broken, when i click on it.

Is that your polite way of saying that your business with one of hosts has been concluded, and the incriminating audio has been removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom