• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

caliph95

Got a problem?

VENOM BLAST!
Are you fighting a powerful Demon lord who easily defeated the entire Avengers and is literally made of evil energy

VENOM BLAST
Code:
[IMG]http://cbr1.imgix.net/wp-content/uploads/goodcomics/2016/07/venomblastblackheart4.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=100&w=864&h=664&fit=crop[/IMG]

Pachimari

Its the Wrestling suit, peter makes improvements when he starts to be a hero
So you saying this is his wrestling suit?

JeDy48E.jpg

To me it looks like his normal suit. But I'm wondering if he'll get the lines drawn on sometime.

Mafro

Starter playing Marvel Heroes Omega on PS4 and wtf @ locking costumes behind loot boxes or time-limited bundles.

Pachimari

I hate what they've done to the Green Goblin. He just looks like some kind of huge muscular monster like the Hulk and he don't even have his glider. Even the Spider-Man 1 movie incarnation reminds me more of the classic Green Goblim than this abomination:

I guess I should be prepared for all of my childhood villains to look drastically different in the Ultimate universe? I am most familiar with the designs from the 90s tv show.

The first few issues of the Batman Zero Hour have not been very strong. Expected a lot more going in as they were by Moench. (One was by Alan Grant). Some of the dialogue borders on parody.

I also hadn't realised it was some sort of "correcting the timeline" event. Those are always a let down for me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hate what they've done to the Green Goblin. He just looks like some kind of huge muscular monster like the Hulk and he don't even have his glider. Even the Spider-Man 1 movie incarnation reminds me more of the classic Green Goblim than this abomination:

I guess I should be prepared for all of my childhood villains to look drastically different in the Ultimate universe? I am most familiar with the designs from the 90s tv show.

No, Goblin is the worst offender.
But: This is not the Universe you remember, its something different and people back then complained what the point was since it stayed for years pretty similar. Then Ultimatum happened and it had different problems then beeing to similar lol

Pachimari

No, Goblin is the worst offender.
But: This is not the Universe you remember, its something different and people back then complained what the point was since it stayed for years pretty similar. Then Ultimatum happened and it had different problems then beeing to similar lol

Ultimatum is an event happening later into the Ultimate universe? Is it worth reading this series, or should I ignore it? I'm currently 8 issues in.

Mafro

Miles' supporting characters think they were in 616 all along but as a Battleworld survivor, Miles knows he wasn't. Molecule Man folded Miles' cast into 616.
Are Miles and Black Panther still the only people that actually know about Battleworld?

Yup it sucks. See overwatch.
Wanted to buy the Black Panther Civil War costume. Looked it up to find out they made this big change just in time for the launch on consoles. Would have happily bought the costume on its own but the bundle with it is £35 or something like that, no thanks. Hated all this crap in Overwatch, felt like the game became more about character skins and gestures than actually playing it and the community became really annoying for it. Noticed there's a ton of costumes missing that were there in the PC version so I dunno what's going on there.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ultimatum is an event happening later into the Ultimate universe? Is it worth reading this series, or should I ignore it? I'm currently 8 issues in.

Read the TIe Ins and call it a day. Unless you want to see Blob becoming a Cannibal and eating The Wasp.

Pachimari

But I was recommended Ultimate Spider-Man earlier in the thread. So what should I be reading for canon stuff? The Amazing Spider-Man?

Messi

But I was recommended Ultimate Spider-Man earlier in the thread. So what should I be reading for canon stuff? The Amazing Spider-Man?

Yes they are two different things. If you want current Spidey you have to read Amazing Spider-man. You were recommended Ultimate Spidey as you wanted to see Miles origin.

shingi70

Banned
Is the tie ins called Ultimatum? Are you talking Ultimatum or Ultimate? I'm not sure I quite understand what you are telling me.

Your reading ultimate spider-man, when you get to the point of the Ultimatumm event skip it,, and just read the spider-man tie ins. Ultimatum is a non senscial and mean spirited story, and it's mostly Jeph Loeb working out unresolved issues he had stemming from his sons death.

The event doesn't add much expect lead into the status quo for the next big event involving Peter.

Keep reading it. Canon means nothing. It's one of the strongest spidey runs out there.

Skip Ultimatum when it gets there which is a long way out issue wise.

Pachimari

Yes they are two different things. If you want current Spidey you have to read Amazing Spider-man. You were recommended Ultimate Spidey as you wanted to see Miles origin.

Your reading ultimate spider-man, when you get to the point of the Ultimatumm event skip it,, and just read the spider-man tie ins. Ultimatum is a non senscial and mean spirited story, and it's mostly Jeph Loeb working out unresolved issues he had stemming from his sons death.

The event doesn't add much expect lead into the status quo for the next big event involving Peter.

Keep reading it. Canon means nothing. It's one of the strongest spidey runs out there.

Skip Ultimatum when it gets there which is a long way out issue wise.

Okay, I will keep reading Ultimate Spider-Man up until the Ultimatum event which I will skip. And then straight after I'll read Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, and then Ultimate Spider-Man with Miles Morales before going into Amazing Spider-Man.

shingi70

Banned
Okay, I will keep reading Ultimate Spider-Man up until the Ultimatum event which I will skip. And then straight after I'll read Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, and then Ultimate Spider-Man with Miles Morales before going into Amazing Spider-Man.

Are you reading through physical or digital?

jackdoe

You think her 616 relationship is abusive? Don't read Ultimates.
Yeah, I'd hesitate to call the Hank/Janet relationship abusive in 616 (as far as I know, it was one slap during a moment of insanity), but the crap in Ultimates is Mark Millar extreme (think of something closer to Nemesis style "Your son impregnated your daughter but I jury rigged her womb to blow up if she tries to have an abortion" extreme). Hell, there are even traces of racism in the Ultimates version.

X-Men Blue #5 is delightful. Bobby was genuinely funny this issue. "Stop helping the bad guys grow as people." And he was also super hardcore with that gang beating. Also Warren's trash. #6 is also good, but I'm curious as to
who the red chick is. It's not Ms. Sinister. She seems like she could be the girl on the choker Jean had at the end of last issue. Jean only questions if it's from Ms. Sinister, but we've not confirmed whether it is or isn't.
Yeah, I'd hesitate to call the Hank/Janet relationship abusive in 616 (as far as I know, it was one slap during a moment of insanity), but the crap in Ultimates is Mark Millar extreme (think of something closer to Nemesis style "Your son impregnated your daughter but I jury rigged her womb to blow up if she tries to have an abortion" extreme). Hell, there are even traces of racism in the Ultimates version.
Yeah Hank and Janet in 616 aren't really abusive. They have issues which is why they separate, but not abusive.

I've seen Hank hit Janet so far, and it wasn't the much talked about slap either. He has history! However, he's clearly got mental issues that will no doubt get in the way.

X-Men Gold is truly the book no one deserves.

And then there's Generation X, the book that makes you go, "well I hadn't read any truly bad comics in awhile. It's good to reset my baseline."

Nothing about this book is okay.

They still lynch and hang black people in America? :/
talking about the cover to number 4

Consider the following:
Hate crimes have spiked under our idiot president. Heres a long list from Slate

Heres an article from NYT about it

I don't have the time for it, but you have to be aware of all terrible attacks on the Muslim communities here. Theres too many incidents and it absolutely has people on edge.

Now, consider that you're Muslim. You are in a community of Muslims. Maybe you're a woman and you wear a headscarf or you're dark skinned and so maybe you *look* Middle Eastern or Indian or anything like a bigot would take as a sign of you being muslim.

Do you think that your community has not addressed the hate crimes? Do you think families dont sot and discuss how to exist in the political and racial climate? How to behave in a way as to seem as unthreatening as possible?

I'm sure you'll agree that yes, these types of conversations are being had by these families and communities that are the targets of these kinds of attacks. It would be irresponsible to.

The same way that black families and communities talk about the systemic attacks of the justice system against them. The same way the LGBTQ community addresses the attacks that they face.

Hopefully, I've set it up so you can understand the following.

Imagine you're walking into your comic shop and you see that cover. Chaykin's USH #4. You see a brown person lynched, genitals mutilated with a slur on a sticker (badge?). What do you think comes to mind? Tell me what the difference an uninhibited bigot would draw vs what Chaykin drew.

Is the person lynch and mutiliated humanized? Or are they reduced to a beaten carcass? Is there *anything* in that cover that's supposed to make us understand the pain and fear undoubtedly felt by the man? Theres nothing there.

Chaykin wants to shock you into having a conversation while completely ignoring that the people who are under attack were already having conversation and have been for as long as they've lived in the USA.

So, really, what he's done is used the same violence that people already live under in the guise of 'shocking' and 'unflinching' 'art.' He wants acclaim for doing nothing. This is like an artist depicting another 'threatening' black child killed by officers. The artist does nothing to give meaning and life to the death of the person. They're just a carcass to be drawn.

Thats what a brown person is to Chaykin. Someone he can gut and hang in hopes of accolades and credit for 'establishing a conversation' That's why an offensive cover.

This is running a bit long, and theres loads more Id like to say, but there are other things I gotta do, so hopefully this has been of some use to you or at least somebody else.

Yeah Hank and Janet in 616 aren't really abusive. They have issues which is why they separate, but not abusive.

Hank and Janet's relationship in 616 was retconned to be more abusive.

Well said, Ed.

On another note, Edge of Venomverse #1 wasn't bad. Kept bugging the shit out of me that
Kiden and the others weren't using their powers, but obviously they're not mutants on that Earth
. Not bad though. I'll keep reading.

Recent She-Hulk?

Incredible Hulk #142

http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/detail.php?idvalue=1016

uNG1rxe.jpg

No, a 1970s Hulk. I'll post some screen grabs later, it is bizzare. Fist Hulk is sleeping on the torch of the Statue of Liberty. Then Thunderbolt Ross spies him and shouts at him to wake up from a helicopter.

pTDg8Es.jpg

Some randoms decide they'll go and get Hulk to join their Feminist Tea Party. Then the young woman who is a Feminist is turned into Valkyrie by The Enchantress.

WDJPWXh.jpg

F57Se3H.jpg

During the tea part Hulk tries to get some finger food, but can't, so grabs the waiter.

vNGPFCF.jpg

Hank and Janet's relationship in 616 was retconned to be more abusive.

It might not be overly physical abusive, but the tones are there early on that he's mentally abusing her. Although it is the 60s and 70s, so I guess the relationship between man and wife was somewhat different back then. Same goes for Sue and Reed Richards.

talking about the cover to number 4

Consider the following:
Hate crimes have spiked under our idiot president. Heres a long list from Slate

Heres an article from NYT about it

I don't have the time for it, but you have to be aware of all terrible attacks on the Muslim communities here. Theres too many incidents and it absolutely has people on edge.

Now, consider that you're Muslim. You are in a community of Muslims. Maybe you're a woman and you wear a headscarf or you're dark skinned and so maybe you *look* Middle Eastern or Indian or anything like a bigot would take as a sign of you being muslim.

Do you think that your community has not addressed the hate crimes? Do you think families dont sot and discuss how to exist in the political and racial climate? How to behave in a way as to seem as unthreatening as possible?

I'm sure you'll agree that yes, these types of conversations are being had by these families and communities that are the targets of these kinds of attacks. It would be irresponsible to.

The same way that black families and communities talk about the systemic attacks of the justice system against them. The same way the LGBTQ community addresses the attacks that they face.

Hopefully, I've set it up so you can understand the following.

Imagine you're walking into your comic shop and you see that cover. Chaykin's USH #4. You see a brown person lynched, genitals mutilated with a slur on a sticker (badge?). What do you think comes to mind? Tell me what the difference an uninhibited bigot would draw vs what Chaykin drew.

Is the person lynch and mutiliated humanized? Or are they reduced to a beaten carcass? Is there *anything* in that cover that's supposed to make us understand the pain and fear undoubtedly felt by the man? Theres nothing there.

Chaykin wants to shock you into having a conversation while completely ignoring that the people who are under attack were already having conversation and have been for as long as they've lived in the USA.

So, really, what he's done is used the same violence that people already live under in the guise of 'shocking' and 'unflinching' 'art.' He wants acclaim for doing nothing. This is like an artist depicting another 'threatening' black child killed by officers. The artist does nothing to give meaning and life to the death of the person. They're just a carcass to be drawn.

Thats what a brown person is to Chaykin. Someone he can gut and hang in hopes of accolades and credit for 'establishing a conversation' That's why an offensive cover.

This is running a bit long, and theres loads more Id like to say, but there are other things I gotta do, so hopefully this has been of some use to you or at least somebody else.
You should post this in the OT thread.

A well put post to help me understand

Ed, thanks for taking the time to put this into some perspective for me. I think the problem I have is that I cannot, and probably will not, understand the human side that the cover misses out on. I can't think of the term to use, although it's probably something to do with the somewhat peaceful sheltered upbringing I've had in the North of England.

I understand now that perhaps the cover wasn't done to spark a conversation, but rather spark disgust (which causes a different kind of conversation). I honestly have no idea what to think or discuss beyond this point. As I've said early without knowing the history of the artist and the book, I can see what they were trying to do (in my naive way), yet I think I've missed the point entirely by not being aware of the greater picture outside of comics.

Thanks again for sharing some thoughts on it :)

shingi70

Banned
I'm trying to read through the Mu reading order like that one guy here. I got to Daredevil #1 and noticed he has a yellow suit.

Is it ever explained why his suit that color?

Also Professor x is a dick.

frye

I'm trying to read through the Mu reading order like that one guy here. I got to Daredevil #1 and noticed he has a yellow suit.

Is it ever explained why his suit that color?

Also Professor x is a dick.

you really shouldn't knock a guy who can't see about his fashion sense

Top Bottom