• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space: The Final Frontier

DD

PC70pWZ.gif

Sec0nd

This thread is mostly used for cool space news. But I've got a question that could maybe be answered by one of my fellow space fans.

I was walking outside today when the sun was setting. All of the sudden my eye caught the attention of a really bright star. I thought it was an airplane but it wasn't moving. And as I was observing it it slowly got dimmer and dimmer. After which it disappeared. It lasted for about 10 secondish. What did I see? It was still bright enough outside that only the brightest of stars were visible and it didn't move. It also suddenly grabbed my attention almost like it flashed into existence (though I can't confirm that). It grabbed the attention of my girlfriend at the same time.

Did I see the army shoot down an UFO?! Did I see a supernova? Aliens? What did I see GAF?!

fallout

This thread is mostly used for cool space news. But I've got a question that could maybe be answered by one of my fellow space fans.

I was walking outside today when the sun was setting. All of the sudden my eye caught the attention of a really bright star. I thought it was an airplane but it wasn't moving. And as I was observing it it slowly got dimmer and dimmer. After which it disappeared. It lasted for about 10 secondish. What did I see? It was still bright enough outside that only the brightest of stars were visible and it didn't move. It also suddenly grabbed my attention almost like it flashed into existence (though I can't confirm that). It grabbed the attention of my girlfriend at the same time.

Did I see the army shoot down an UFO?! Did I see a supernova? Aliens? What did I see GAF?!
Almost certainly a satellite flare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_flare

The most common ones are Iridum flares, which can actually be predicted using this site:

http://www.heavens-above.com/IridiumFlares.aspx

Spladam

Guys, I wanted to share this with you, it's a zip file I've been hosting on my Steam profile page for years that includes the famous Pale Blue Dot excerpt speech, the original photo, all 3 versions of the video and speech (Original Cosmos: A Personal Voyage , The Carl Sagan Series video by Reid Gower, and the new Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey video) and an inspiring animation created by the artist Joel Somerfield

Reid Gower's version of the Pale Blue Dot speech in his awesome and popular Sagan Series on Youtube has since been taken down due to some copyright issues, it's the only part of the series to suffer this fate, however, I was lucky enough to preserve it in the zip file before this happened, so downloaded, post it, spread it, preserve it, it's amazing and should kept for all time. This is one of the only places you can find it.

Pale_Blue_Dot.zip

Sec0nd

Lach

If it was brighter than most stars it might very probably have been ISS.

I've seen it once in the sky and went to confirm if it really was it.

Izayoi

Banned
Hey dudes - anyone listen to cool space podcasts?

I just stumbled on Are We There Yet? on NPR One. It can be kind of dry at times but it seems to stay very on top of stuff that's going on right now and explores interesting subjects fairly often (space elevators!). Also has the benefit of being based out of Orlando.

I'm hungry for more, though.

CTLance

Guys, just a quiet reminder that we have less than ten days left in the Cassini mission.

On September 15th it will suicide against Saturn in a last valiant charge for science, turning thirty years of work into a streak of light in the Saturn skies. All to protect the possibly life bearing Saturn moons from contamination by an Earth made object possibly full of bacteria and water bears and whatever else may have piggybacked on its bus sized frame.

Relevant:
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/saturn-tour/where-is-cassini-now/ for real-time-ish data on the probe
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/grand-finale/overview/ for info and a short summary

So, if you're into this stuff, nine days, eleven hours and some five-odd minutes after this post you might want to take a moment of silence or raise a toast towards the skies, post on GAF - or whatever else floats your boat.

Keep in mind, the data that it will keep faithfully sending to Earth up until its destruction takes about one and a half hours back to us, so keep an eye on the NASA Twitter account and other sources of news even after the crash has already happened.

Guys, just a quiet reminder that we have less than ten days left in the Cassini mission.

On September 15th it will suicide against Saturn in a last valiant charge for science, turning thirty years of work into a streak of light in the Saturn skies. All to protect the possibly life bearing Saturn moons from contamination by an Earth made object possibly full of bacteria and water bears and whatever else may have piggybacked on its bus sized frame.

Relevant:
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/saturn-tour/where-is-cassini-now/ for real-time-ish data on the probe
https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/grand-finale/overview/ for info and a short summary

So, if you're into this stuff, nine days, eleven hours and some five-odd minutes after this post you might want to take a moment of silence or raise a toast towards the skies, post on GAF - or whatever else floats your boat.

Keep in mind, the data that it will keep faithfully sending to Earth up until its destruction takes about one and a half hours back to us, so keep an eye on the NASA Twitter account and other sources of news even after the crash has already happened.

I'm definetely gonna tear up :(

Good bye, Cassy. You will be missed. :(

Thank you for your amazing science and photos

N00282563.jpg

fallout

Truly one of the greatest space missions of all time. It's incredible how long it's kept going and how much science has been sent back.

CTLance

Heh, had a little laff when a news site uploaded some utterly random pictures that vaguely relate to the European Space Operations Centre in Darmstadt (Germany), which turned 50 years old today.

Look at those smooth mofos. Just look at them.
1967ish said:
Any second now someone will start to talk into their mic and start twisting knobs and pulling levers while looking at blinking lights and consulting big bundles of printed out documentation because the Alien/Russian/US invasion has begun in the skies above. Serious fucking business.

And now take a gander at how it looks like nowadays.
2017 said:
So generic. Buncha redshirts surrounded by monitors. Probably minimised a minesweeper or WoW window when they noticed a press sneak fuck lurking about. At worst, they will need to doubleclick on something. Boooooooring. ;D

Joking aside, props to anyone in the industry, and congrats to that particular bunch today. Party hard. After wörk.

Sec0nd

Relevant:

Poor Cassini. You have served us well. :(

Top Bottom