• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

US availability status:
full-list5aobc.jpg

Disney canon sequel availability, US:
* = May/will be vaulted in the future
screenshot2015-10-08a3nqfe.png

Disney Movie Club
Interested in collecting Disney blu-rays? Try the Disney Movie Club. Click "have a promotional code?" on top and use signup codes: 28563 (comes with a Mickey blanket for free) or 30058 (comes with an Olaf blanket for free).

How it works:
- You pay about $20 upfront to get 7 Disney movies
- In the next two years, you buy 2 more Disney movies at about $30 a piece. These are called commitment titles. You can buy them whenever you want, but they have to be "full price".
- So for a total of $80 or so, you get 9 Disney movies.
- Then you cancel your subscription. There's not really any reason to stay subscribed. If you want more, cancel and then re-subscribe to take advantage of the upfront offer.
- While you are subscribed, every month they send you a "special offer". You must decline it (this can be done online). If you don't, they charge you full price (again around $30) and ship it to you. Sometimes the special offers are good and worth using to fulfill your commitment titles, but mostly you'll want to skip.

Need more info? This thread on the Blu-Ray.com forums is a great resource.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really need to start grabbing these before it gets too late. I'd love to have these in my collection. The trailers I've seen look incredible.

Messi

Dying to watch the lion king on blu ray.

Edit:

I got Beauty and the Beast for christmas and I had not seen it since I was a kid. Such a wonderful amazing movie. The musical sequences are much better than I remember them being. Oh and the ballroom scene .. .swoon!

smurfx

get some go again
i want little mermaid, lion king and beauty and the beast blu ray. wish disney would release spirited away blu ray.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
smurfx said:
i want little mermaid, lion king and beauty and the beast blu ray. wish disney would release spirited away blu ray.

Beauty and the Beast is on Blu-ray, unless you mean you want to buy it sometime soon. Should have gotten it when it was like $8 at Toys R Us on release week.

Drkirby said:
Which Blu-rays are already off the market for comparison?
As far as I know, there haven't been any Blu-ray sets vaulted yet.

That said, Snow White has been out since Fall 2009, so it's only a matter of time before it disappears.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Eventually I'd like to own Aladdin, Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame, aaannnd... I dunno, probably a couple others. Hercules maybe, I liked that one.

Thanks for the thread, OP! Looking forward to updates!

smurfx

get some go again
Wario64 said:
Alice in Wonderland at Best Buy, $10 after coupon. Bam
for the combo pack?

Wario64 said:
Beauty and the Beast is on Blu-ray, unless you mean you want to buy it sometime soon. Should have gotten it when it was like $8 at Toys R Us on release week.
crap!!!

entremet

Are they still going to do the vault nonsense with BR? It would be dumb if they do because BR is basically archival quality.

To clarify, Disney usually releases the Blu-ray/DVD combo packs about a month and a half before releasing their accompanying DVD-only sets.

And no, there haven't been any BRD-only sets. They're all Blu-ray/DVD combos.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
BertramCooper said:
As far as I know, there haven't been any Blu-ray sets vaulted yet.

That said, Snow White has been out since Fall 2009, so it's only a matter of time before it disappears.
Welp, just picked up Snow White now. Thanks for the heads up. Totally forgot about Disney vaulting movies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Also, if any of you guys don't care about Disney Movie Reward codes, feel free to send them my way. :)

entrement said:
Are they still going to do the vault nonsense with BR? It would be dumb if they do because BR is basically archival quality.
Count on it.

As much as we bitch about it, the policy works, so Disney would be nuts to abandon it.

King Of Fuh said:
Damn, Fantasia is on Blu-Ray?? This totally escaped my radar. Hope I can still find it somewhere...
I bought it today at Sam's Club. You shouldn't have any problems finding it.

Samara

They need to release Cinderella QUICK! I mean even the DVD version still had errors. Argh, and I cant even find Sleeping Beauty anymore. I did grab Beauty and the Beast but---I really really want Cinderella.

The Sleeping Beauty blu ray disc is truly incredible. Some of the older Disney films like Snow White, which I am not a huge fan of, I still grab just to have them.

NoRéN

Samara said:
They need to release Cinderella QUICK! I mean even the DVD version still had errors. Argh, and I cant even find Sleeping Beauty anymore. I did grab Beauty and the Beast but---I really really want Cinderella.
Amazon still has Sleeping Beauty.

What, OP. No mention of Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2? >.<
not being serious

I have definitely been enjoying getting all of these for my little sister. Can't wait for The Lion King.

YagizY

I've got all the good Disney Blurays to date (none of that Tinkerbell shit). They are all amazing. an Disney puts out a fantastic product.

BertramCooper said:
Thanks! OP updated!

For some reason, I still haven't gotten Sleeping Beauty. Which makes no sense, considering it's one of my favorites.
I think we still have a copy or two at the BN I work at. This was the first Blu Ray I bought when I got a player. It is not my favorite Disney film, but my god is the picture on it incredible.

linkboy

entrement said:

Yes, they are. They don't do it archival reasons, they do it so they can sell the same movie 10 years later in a "Diamond" or "Platinum" edition.

I'm picking each of these movies up as they release. So far I've gotten,

Beauty and the Beast
Pinnocchio
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White

Thanks OP for the coupon. Had no idea Alice was even coming out so soon. Going to definitely pick it up on Tue. Can't beat $10.

Replicant

linkboy said:
Yes, they are. They don't do it archival reasons, they do it so they can sell the same movie 10 years later in a "Diamond" or "Platinum" edition.

Ugh. Do each version actually have a more improved version/additional contents or something? I mean obvs blu-ray is better in pic quality than DVD but how about the extras?

Samara

Guess its the right place to ask: Do they actually retrace the entire movie and all? I know in Beauty& the Beast they changed the colors a lot ( it was very very brown in the VHS verion) But everything seems "redone" in terms of lines.

JzeroT1437 said:
I have all disney movies on DVD. I feel stupid restarting the collection on Blu-Ray
At first, I was the same as you, but goddamn, it really makes a huge difference.

I think traditionally animated films benefit far more from Blu-ray than their live action and CG counterparts. It's jaw dropping, really.

linkboy

Samara said:
Guess its the right place to ask: Do they actually retrace the entire movie and all? I know in Beauty& the Beast they changed the colors a lot ( it was very very brown in the VHS verion) But everything seems "redone" in terms of lines.

I know with Sleeping Beauty, they went back to the original animation cells (watched the extras).

Disney has actually done a fantastic job with their classic movies. They all look fantastic.

Here's an example

634_1_large.jpg

That's a 50 year old movie and it looks fantastic (that picture is @ 720p, it looks even better in 1080p).

JdFoX187

Banned
Need to pick up Sleeping Beauty, but Amazon's $30 is a little outrageous. Already have all the others with Alice in Wonderland coming in this week.

Snaku

Banned
I can't wait until Disney starts releasing their live action classics on Blu. The sooner their 20000 Leagues Under the Sea reboot goes into production, the sooner I'll have my favorite Disney film in HD. :D Pete's Dragon, Mary Poppins, and Bednobs & Broomsticks will be instabuys as well.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Huh... I don't have sleeping beauty either... Did that come out before Snow white?

I think so.

linkboy

Kagari said:
Erm... where is said coupon.

Copy the numbers above the Alice picture and then click the link. Enter the code at the MovieRewards site and it will bring the coupon up. From there, you can print it.

Click here and enter the number below

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Huh... I don't have sleeping beauty either... Did that come out before Snow white?

Sleeping Beauty was the first classic Disney film to get the Blu Ray treatment.

It went

Sleeping Beauty
Pinocchio
Snow White
Beauty & the Beast

shwimpy

Sleeping Beauty was the first Disney classic released on blu-ray I believe. It's been placed back in the vault, hence the $30.

Where the heck is Dumbo? Wasn't it scheduled to be released last year? Anyway, can't wait for Lion King.

I haven't picked up Sleeping Beauty. Still not sure if I should hold out for a Diamond release or not. I'm not planning on picking it up for $30 on Amazon though. I'll wait again for at least under $20.

For some reason I just don't picture the Blu-ray's going away. Maybe it's because none have yet or I don't see them as heavily advertised as the DVD's were but I'm in no rush. Partially because I own them all besides SB and the Fantasia sets. I have Fantasia on VHS and saw 2000 in theaters and wasn't really a fan of either.

shwimpy said:
Sleeping Beauty was the first Disney classic released on blu-ray I believe. It's been placed back in the vault, hence the $30.

Where the heck is Dumbo? Wasn't it scheduled to be released last year? Anyway, can't wait for Lion King.
At least in latin america, Dumbo was released. I own that one, Pinocchio, Snow White, and Beauty and the Beast. Still need to track down a copy of Sleeping Beauty and am eagerly waiting for the Lion King.

I've never seen Fantasia over here.

linkboy

shwimpy said:

That's a good question. Big Top Edition, the last release to my knowledge, came out in 2006.

I don't know if Alice was pushed up and Dumbo was pushed back. I haven't been able to find anything on-line about the dates changing.

Here is says everything is still TBA

Top Bottom