• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

It's mostly the Xerox era films (i.e. the ones with thick, scratchy lines) that got the worst of the treatment. Roughly from 101 Dalmatians / Sword in the Stone to Robin Hood / Winnie the Pooh. There are a few other bad and average transfers outside the Xerox era but those films are the worst.
I remember a few people being unhappy with the colours of the Cinderella Blu-Ray.

Soulfire

I tried to get slipcovers for all the Disney movies I have and mostly succeeded, but then my daughter started taking interest in the movies and I packed them away so they wouldn't get ruined. I recently realized that by the time she's old enough not to destroy them my son will be old enough to and then once he's old enough there will probably be another medium and my slipcovers will have spent all this time in a box taking up space. All that to say I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of them. If anyone is looking for something specific let me know, my husband was talking about selling them on ebay but I can just as easily send them to someone here, shipping plus whatever you think is fair, just PM if interested.
EDIT
To make things easier I wrote a list of what I've got, I tried to put enough detail so someone would know which slipcover it was.

Snow White BluRay + DVD + Digital HD
The Great Mouse Detective BluRay + DVD
Pinoccchio 70th Anniversary 2-Disc Platinum
Toy Story That Time Forgot Blu-Ray + Digital HD
Aladdin Diamond Edition Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
Tangled Blu-Ray + DVD
Tarzan Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
Big Hero 6 Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition Blu-Ray + Blu-Ray 3D + DVD + Digital copy + Music
Mulan Blu-Ray + Digital HD
The Princess and the Frog Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy
The Lion King Diamond Edition Blu-Ray + 3D Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy
The Lion King 2 Simbas' Price Blu-Ray + DVD
Brother Bead and Brother Bear 2 blu-Ray+ DVD
Bambi Blu-Ray + DVD
Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 movie collection Blu-Ray + DVD
Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 2 movie collection Blu-Ray + DVD
Toy Story of Terror Blu-Ray + Digital HD
Lady and the Tramp Blu-Ray + DVD
Pochahontas Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
Meet the Robinsons Blu-Ray 3D + Blu Ray + DVD
Hercules Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
The Jungle Book Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
101 Dalmations Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
Mary Poppins Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy
Finding Dory Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital Copy
Peter Pan Blu-Ray + DVD
Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD
Sleeping Beauty 50th Anniversary Blu-Ray

I tried to get slipcovers for all the Disney movies I have and mostly succeeded, but then my daughter started taking interest in the movies and I packed them away so they wouldn't get ruined. I recently realized that by the time she's old enough not to destroy them my son will be old enough to and then once he's old enough there will probably be another medium and my slipcovers will have spent all this time in a box taking up space. All that to say I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of them. If anyone is looking for something specific let me know, my husband was talking about selling them on ebay but I can just as easily send them to someone here, shipping plus whatever you think is fair, just PM if interested.

You are awesome for sharing. For a while, Disney was selling slip covers for like $1 a piece and $3 shipping if they had extra covers. I was able to get a couple off of them, but not all. I'm missing Pony, Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story 1 (original cover, not Woody), and Sword in the Stone.

I know the feeling of constantly changing mediums. Growing up my aunt got me and my sister the VHS tapes. Well she had a kid and moved out on her own, and guess what? She got to keep the movies. I started a collection with my best friend that I lived with for a really long time, I let her keep the movies when I moved across the country. Now thankfully, my boyfriend has no interest in keeping my movies if anything ever went sour. I have most of the collection on Blu Ray now, including 6 movies in 3D. Honestly, I hope 4k stays off far far into the future. I have no desire to recollect my movies. Although I have repurchased a couple of the releases just to get the digital copies (if the price is good enough).

Soulfire

You are awesome for sharing. For a while, Disney was selling slip covers for like $1 a piece and $3 shipping if they had extra covers. I was able to get a couple off of them, but not all. I'm missing Pony, Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story 1 (original cover, not Woody), and Sword in the Stone.

I know the feeling of constantly changing mediums. Growing up my aunt got me and my sister the VHS tapes. Well she had a kid and moved out on her own, and guess what? She got to keep the movies. I started a collection with my best friend that I lived with for a really long time, I let her keep the movies when I moved across the country. Now thankfully, my boyfriend has no interest in keeping my movies if anything ever went sour. I have most of the collection on Blu Ray now, including 6 movies in 3D. Honestly, I hope 4k stays off far far into the future. I have no desire to recollect my movies. Although I have repurchased a couple of the releases just to get the digital copies (if the price is good enough).

PM'd you.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Pinocchio January 31, 2017.

103613_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20274

I'm so glad I randomly decided to search for Pinocchio on Amazon because I didn't realize that this was already out.

Can't wait to watch it in 7.1 surround sound

Also Bambi is getting rereleased in June I believe.

Edit: lol missed post above. Still excited to add it to my collection. One of the more artistic films in the Disney cannon.

I'm glad we have the DisneyLife streaming service in the UK. Saved me a lot of cash. £5 a month for Disney Movies and shows in HD is great value!

NR1

Wheres the first one?

Apparently Disney incorrectly uploaded D2's cover twice, but the whole trilogy is coming to Blu-ray via DMC Exclusive.

Clearly with Cool Runnings and the Mighty Duck's films, Disney is moving into the 80s/90s era of films. So what do you all want to see released?

Homeward Bound is at the top on my list. The DVD edition is 1.33:1 Full Screen... YUCK! Give me widescreen! The sequel is in widescreen on DVD though...

George of the Jungle and Jungle 2 Jungle too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Among the weirdo live action stuff:
The Black Hole
Quiz Show
Return to Oz
Dragonslayer
Midnight Madness
Watcher in the Woods

(but I suspect I'm a tad older than you)

Apparently Disney incorrectly uploaded D2's cover twice, but the whole trilogy is coming to Blu-ray via DMC Exclusive.

Clearly with Cool Runnings and the Mighty Duck's films, Disney is moving into the 80s/90s era of films. So what do you all want to see released?

Homeward Bound is at the top on my list. The DVD edition is 1.33:1 Full Screen... YUCK! Give me widescreen! The sequel is in widescreen on DVD though...

Would love to watch Halloween Town, Zenon, Blank Check in HD..

Oh shoot how did I miss this!? Megaton for me. I might have to sign back up for the club for this.

NR1

Oh damn! I just was thinking... what about A Goofy Movie! The only animated films part of the DMC Exclusice program are the Aladdin sequels at the moment.

Oh damn! I just was thinking... what about A Goofy Movie! The only animated films part of the DMC Exclusice program are the Aladdin sequels at the moment.

Yes! I was listing to the soundtrack today and this need to come out in HD formate...and I guess the sequal as well..

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Where there multiple offers from Disney Movie Club last month? Because I could swear I stayed on top of my responses on the site and a movie that I fucking hate just showed up at my place.

cory64

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will be the first Disney release on 4K UHD Blu-ray.

I'd love to see Moana and Rogue One get a release soon, I've been holding off on them for that reason. Moana is gonna look gorgeous with the extra color data.

omgkitty

Really wish they would just go ahead and release the small handful of titles still not on blu-ray like the Black Cauldron :\

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
is that an ew lion king 1 1/2 release?

i just want to find a blu ray of that movie without some euro cero region bullshit

NR1

Disney truely is the Nintendo of the film industry. Keep pumping out shit that fans aren't asking for and ignoring what fans want.

God forbid we get new content released. They got to keep re-releasing the same 10 movies can call it a different edition.

NR1

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is getting its home video release on August 22. This will be Disney's first UHD title. An exclusive UHD/3D/Blu/Digital edition is being sold by Best Buy in a steel book case-- currently $35.

http://marvel.com/movies/movie/221/guardians_of_the_galaxy_vol_2

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales is getting its home video release on October 3. This will be Disney's 2nd UHD title. There is no 3D release in North American; not even a retailer exclusive combo pack.

http://pirates.disney.com/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales

Amazon UK has a 3D release listed:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071FHHQVJ/

And...
Saludos Amigos
The Three Caballeros
Make Mine Music
Melody Time

And Song of the South even though I know it will never ever happen ):<

I went to Disneyland with my girlfriend last year (her first time) and she thought Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah was just "the walking around music" for the park. Didn't even know there were words to it, no idea it was connected to Splash Mountain.

Which made me realize that like the generations after mine will never ever know Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah. Splash Mountain will just be some random animal ride based off nothing and Zip will just become "that walking around music" for the parks. Made me really sad.

Granted it's been a couple decades since I last saw it, so someone who's more familiar help me out - is it REALLY that bad and racist? That's not to say that any amount of racist is ok, but Disney's released some of their uh questionable shorts before like with the Treasures releases, with little "this was made in a different time" things at the front, is Song of the South worse than those?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Granted it's been a couple decades since I last saw it, so someone who's more familiar help me out - is it REALLY that bad and racist? That's not to say that any amount of racist is ok, but Disney's released some of their uh questionable shorts before like with the Treasures releases, with little "this was made in a different time" things at the front, is Song of the South worse than those?

There's nothing about it that is overtly racist. The problem is that the entire premise -- an older African-American former slave sitting on the porch of his plantation reminiscing and the brutality of slavery and human ownership is not portrayed. There's probably no getting around this problem in any story set in the south in the Antebellum or Reconstruction or Jim Crow eras and targeted at a family. If you read about the production of the film it's clear that this is something they were thinking about at the time, but obviously the end product still reflects a peaceful view of the era.

I'd like to see Disney release it in some sort of appropriate context. Probably some sort of DMC-only, with introduction by an academic (preferably someone of colour), and ideally educational materials included with the film. But it's understandable why a money-losing vanity project designed for an audience of a few thousand isn't going to be a priority absent a producer going to bat for it.

If you're interested in watching it I'd buy one of the bootleg DVDs on eBay. If you view that as unscrupulous, buy the laserdisc copy and then pirate it in English. Obv. it's your call what the right way to do this is but I don't view it as a great moral evil or whatever to watch a 71 year old not commercially available film based on a public domain book that's 136 years old. The book's author died 109 years ago; the film's director died 29 years ago, the film's producer died 51 years ago, the film's star died 69 year ago, the male child actor died 49 years ago, the female child actress died 21 years ago, the main animators died 34, 54, and 15 years ago, etc. Literally anyone involved who you might possibly owe a debt to to watch this film is dead.

I'd like to see Disney release it in some sort of appropriate context. Probably some sort of DMC-only, with introduction by an academic (preferably someone of colour), and ideally educational materials included with the film. But it's understandable why a money-losing vanity project designed for an audience of a few thousand isn't going to be a priority absent a producer going to bat for it.

I remember stumbling across an April Fool's article about it receiving a Criterion Collection rekease, and I think that'd be a legit good way of releasing it, in such a way that hardcore fans will notice it but kids probably won't.

I found a bootleg copy in a broken ps2 or dvd player. I copied it to my hard drive. The quality is really meh, but watchable at least.

I hate this stigma that if black americans are to be represented in film from that era, they must be portrayed as slaves and impoverished and held back in society. Yes, those things were happening, but it doesn't mean people didn't have a good time of telling stories. We can all have shitty situations in our lives, but it doesn't have to represent every waking moment.

We talked about this in my children's lit class. Problems with "Single story narratives".

NR1

Consider this an unconfirmed, but serious rumor.

According a poster who received his DMC mailer packet today
July 18th New DMC Exclusives
Honey I Shrunk the Kids and Honey I Blew Up the Kids -- I think 2 separate items rather than a double feature

That's it as far as information, but after teh triple in May it doesn't seem totally off base as rumors go

Source: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I haven't checked my mail but it sounds believable, they've been slowly knocking out the 70s and 80s Disney live action stuff via blu-rays in the club.

GKids got the home video rights to all of Ghibli's titles - My Neighbors the Yamadas will release early next year! Huzzah!

So the Disney Ghibli deal has expired?

Does GKids have rights to the dubs made by Disney?

Hopefully this means the dubtitles on Laputa and Mononoke(?) get fixed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So the Disney Ghibli deal has expired?

Does GKids have rights to the dubs made by Disney?

Hopefully this means the dubtitles on Laputa and Mononoke(?) get fixed.

Seems that way, yeah.

That's a good question. Considering the fact that GKids has been showing the theatrical versions of the Disney dubs for a few years now, it's probably a situation where Ghibli owns the rights to the dubs that Disney facilitated, thus allowing GKids to use them.

Going by their Twitter, it seems like they're very aware of the dubtitle situation and are looking into it.

Considering the fact that GKids has been showing the theatrical versions of the Disney dubs for a few years now, it's probably a situation where Ghibli owns the rights to the dubs that Disney facilitated, thus allowing GKids to use them.

Going by their Twitter, it seems like they're very aware of the dubtitle situation and are looking into it.

It sounds like this is all correct based in what I'm reading. This could be a major win for fans. Hopefully they don't screw up the transfers and encoding.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It sounds like the Ghibli rights for home video in the west have been lost by Disney and assigned to GKids. Am I wrong?

You have it right. Not sure why they're re releasing all of their films though, given how relatively recent their blu-rays still are. My Neighbors the Yamadas makes sense since it never released in the US and people have been clamoring for it for years, not to mention the whole dubtitle fiasco with Laputa, Kiki, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke, but they don't really need to re release the rest imo.

omgkitty

You have it right. Not sure why they're re releasing all of their films though, given how relatively recent their blu-rays still are. My Neighbors the Yamadas makes sense since it never released in the US and people have been clamoring for it for years, not to mention the whole dubtitle fiasco with Laputa, Kiki, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke, but they don't really need to re release the rest imo.

They have the rights and the films will sell. No reason not to really. Honestly, I wish they would just do a box set with all of them.

Top Bottom