• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Seanspeed said:
Do older movies really look that much better on BluRay? Since I've made the jump, I've only bought newer movies that seem to really shine with the top quality sound and video.

Watch Sleeping Beauty on bluray and your question will be answered.

Man said:
Slightly ot but has Nintendo ever given credit to Sleeping Beauty for the art in Zelda Wind Waker?

There's something about the how they color the trees and environments, including shapes, which remind me of the environments seen in that movie.
As I said in my post, Sleeping Beauty was designed to look like an animated stained-glass window. Disney didn't invent the look, they just animated it.

Seanspeed said:
Do older movies really look that much better on BluRay? Since I've made the jump, I've only bought newer movies that seem to really shine with the top quality sound and video.
A thousand times YES. I tend to ONLY buy animated films on Blu-Ray because there is just SO MUCH DETAIL that is lost on a DVD release. In Monster's Inc, you can pause the movie and actually read all the text on the kid's Scare Files, or the newspapers, there are some hilarious jokes you would never, ever know about on any other format. On hand-drawn films, oh my God. The detail, the detail. It is incredible.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Fuck I want the Lion King blu already. I remember a few years back really wanting to watch it so I went on the hunt to find the dvd. That is when I learned the vault is a bitch. Want Aladdin too my favorite disney movie.

ymmv

Banned
Seanspeed said:

Film is an analog medium and can have better visual than what Blu-Ray's capable of. That's why you need not just 2K but 4K or even 6K masters to capture everything. I've got silent movies from the twenties on Blu-Ray that look *gorgeous* in HD. There's so much more detail than on the original DVD, it beggars belief.

Just compare the difference between the DVDs and Blu-Ray of Buster Keaton's The General on http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/thegeneral.htm Or how much better The Sound of Music looks.

Personally I'm most interested in old movies on Blu-Ray because the HD visuals are so much better than we've ever seen them.

mightynine said:
I like to think of it as "Hey, here's something you can easily rip later" or "Put this in your kids' cheapass DVD player you got from Walgreens and let them scratch it to oblivion".
I was against the dvd at first but after having a son having the dvd copy for just this purpose is a godsend. I'm in the process of ripping all my son's dvds so we can stream them and not have him ruin the discs.

linkboy said:
I know with Sleeping Beauty, they went back to the original animation cells (watched the extras).

Disney has actually done a fantastic job with their classic movies. They all look fantastic.

Here's an example

634_1_large.jpg

That's a 50 year old movie and it looks fantastic (that picture is @ 720p, it looks even better in 1080p).

Woah... the cel with the animals on it isn't quite flat against the cel with Aurora on it, and you can see the shadows a little bit!

Snaku

Banned
Duane Cunningham said:
Woah... the cel with the animals on it isn't quite flat against the cel with Aurora on it, and you can see the shadows a little bit!

Wait until you see it in motion.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
sonycowboy said:
I know it was mentioned once, but nobody else picked up on it.

Tangled set for March 29th...

5822.jpg

You can also get the non-3d Blu-Ray combo disc...

A great movie, decent soundtrack.. for those of us with 5 and 3 year old daughters...

This movie is amazing. It absolutely blew away "The Princess and the Frog."

linkboy

Kintaro said:
Really wish Disney would do Blu Ray only releases. I have no need for the DVDs. =/

I love the fact that they're including the DVD with the Blu-Ray. Its great for families with kids. Let the kid watch the DVD, keep the Blu-Ray put up. Heck, the kid(s) could even keep the DVD in their room. Its a win win for everybody.

Slermy said:
So is Alice in Wonderland not considered to be one of the Diamond releases then? I don't the the "Diamond" moniker on any picture of the box I've seen.
It's ranked by their best-selling VHS releases, so Alice didn't make it.

Both the original DVD and Blu-ray releases of Fantasia were meant to be Platinum/Diamond but they decided not to for some reason. Aladdin got a Platinum release but it won't have a Diamond release, because its sales were too low (still getting a Blu-ray release in 2012).

Jakfu said:
I may be alone in this but i'd love A Goofy Movie on Blu-Ray
Would love this, actually. Very underrated.

Also deserving are The Hunchback of Notre Dame (I'm sure it will) and The Thief and the Cobbler (I'm sure it won't).

sonycowboy said:
I know it was mentioned once, but nobody else picked up on it.

Tangled set for March 29th...
day 1

I watched Fantasia for the first time in ages tonight. It's as brilliant as ever, and it looks gorgeous on Blu-ray. If you haven't already, definitely pick it up.

And Fantasia 2000 is excellent as well. The Firebird sequence is particularly stunning.

I'd love for them to make another one. Disney originally intended to make Fantasia a regular feature, making new sequences with every re-release. I'd love to see the Disney brass greenlight a third one.

Contacted Amazon and they wouldn't accept the Alice coupon. To those who bought from Amazon, what did you all say when contacting customer service?

Edit: Best Buy ran out of copies so I ended up buying a copy at Target since they PM. :D

Just for fun, here's Destino, the short first devised by Walt Disney and Salvador Dali in the 1940s that had to be scrapped due to budgetary shortfalls following World War II. Roy E. Disney, Walt's nephew, brought it back from the dead in the late 90s and it was completed in 2003.

It's included in the Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 set, and it looks glorious in HD.

WyndhamPrice said:
I always thought that outside of Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty is sort of under appreciated. It took so long to make and didn't make that much money when it initially came out. It's a really visually beautiful movie, the blu ray really shows this.

It's a shame. SB is my favorite Disney movie right alongside Pinocchio. Both of them are pure Disney classics.

Jonnyram

I wish the Japanese releases of these weren't so ridiculously expensive.
I'm still trying to pick them all up over time. Will have to start with the older ones first.
With the Ghibli archive being released on BD too, it's an awesome era for animated classics.

FOOTE

Jonnyram said:
I wish the Japanese releases of these weren't so ridiculously expensive.
I'm still trying to pick them all up over time. Will have to start with the older ones first.
With the Ghibli archive being released on BD too, it's an awesome era for animated classics.
Those are titles that I am buying as they come out as well, I have "Ponyo" already, and have "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" ordered. Ponyo is the only one that has been released thus far on BD though, and Nausicaa is the second in March. It should still be relatively easy to continue your collection onto BD.

I'm disappointed that "Tales From Earthsea" isn't releasing of BD in March. I guess either later this year, or early next.

shwimpy

Just got back from Best Buy with Alice for 11 bucks... Coupon worked like a charm.

BTW - I have like 2000 Disney reward points... What is everyone saving up for? There's so much crap in there, I don't even know what's worth it.

FOOTE

shwimpy said:
Just got back from Best Buy with Alice for 11 bucks... Coupon worked like a charm.

BTW - I have like 2000 Disney reward points... What is everyone saving up for? There's so much crap in there, I don't even know what's worth it.
Last year I spent points on a Seven Dwarfs plush set (pretty nice)for my niece, this year I spent some on two blu rays($30 value) for my own collection. I've read in a few places that the rewards program is ending in August or sometime around there, but I really highly doubt it.

I'm still expecting amazon to credit me with a few dollars since it's 19.99 now. I bought it for like 24.99, they gave me a $10 promo credit(don't remember what it was for) for the purchase, and I had like $4 left over from a gift card. So when/if they credit me, my purchase should be well under the $10 mark.

see5harp

all I can say is be careful if you take a break from buying blu rays. If you don't log into disney rewards for a while (i.e. 12 months or maybe a bit longer), they will zero your points out. That happened to me with about 2000 points and I'm now sitting at 250 points. Pissed me off and I don't even have kids.

btkadams

Choppasmith said:
What are these coupons people are talking about, where can I get one, and can I use it with Amazon (I saw something about talking to Customer Service)?
i would like to know this too.

shwimpy said:

Either go big, or load up on some of the badass, 27x40" movie posters.

Also, I wanted to say that Fantasia is fantastic on Blu-ray. While it isn't going to blow you away with its picture or sound like Beauty and Beast will, the soundtrack stuns.

While you can't really save the fact that the music was recorded in the 1940's (early 50's? Can't remember), Fantasia experienced in 5.1 enhances the experience to an almost indescribable level. Fantasia is really all about the synchronization of classical music to the animation on screen, and when you add in the discrete channels of 5.1, the effect is mind-blowing. I've told all my friends (who mostly all roll their eyes at Fantasia, or say, "What's Fantasia?") that this film would almost be the kind of things that I would imagine drugs would greatly enhance. I was really impressed, however, seeing the film for the first time since my childhood, how the animators were able to sync almost every single note with the action on screen.

It's a cartoon visualizer.

Fantasia 2000, on the other hand, while good in it's own right, really isn't anything to get too excited about. My biggest complaint against the film is that it almost, except for certain moments, completely loses the synchronization between picture and sound that the original Fantasia had. In fact, the very first video involving a pod of humpback whales has pretty much NOTHING to do with the music. Instead, it's more about, "Hey look at this CG! We created it for IMAX! Come see our show in IMAX, because the amazing QUALITY of the picture and sound is all we've got!"

~~~

Another interesting this, is that for Sleeping Beauty, they had rediscovered the original recording tapes for the soundtrack to the movie and remastered them, where as before, they had been reworking the original 1950's master until the sound was distorted into oblivion. One of the results of this is that they discovered, maybe for the first time since then, that during this scene, that the vocal flourish that's playing (in Maleficent's theme) is actually calling "Aurora," in order to lure her to the spindle. While it's harder to tell in the video I linked to, on Blu-ray, it's very apparent, and with higher picture quality, the effect is chilling.

When I heard it, I got goosebumps. It's so creepy.

Triz

shwimpy said:

I cashed in last year and got a share of stock from the rewards program. I dont think they offer it now but it was sold through one share and if you were to buy it for real money it would have cost $130 bucks. Came framed and everything, pretty sweet redemption.

shwimpy said:

DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp!!! It's the ONLY way to get it on DVD, too.

linkboy

WordAssassin said:
DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp!!! It's the ONLY way to get it on DVD, too.

Which I still think is stupid, but that's another topic.

Got my copy of Alice today. I swear my town (not so fucking Great Falls, Montana) sucks (can't wait until I can leave the stupid Air Force Base up here, place is the definition of the word crap). Between a Wal-Mart, KMart, Shop-Ko, Sam's Club, Hastings and a Target, only two places had the movie (Target and Hastings). Hastings wanted $30 for it and Target had it for $22. I got it for $12, thanks for the coupon link OP.

linkboy said:
Which I still think is stupid, but that's another topic.
Oh, I absolutely agree. And it comes with Donald in Mathmagic Land or whatever it's called, which is available everywhere, but DTtM can only be bought with Disney Reward points. SO stupid.

Anyway, just found out I have TWO $5 Best Buy Reward Zone tickets, so I'm gonna go get Alice FO' FREE WHAAAAT

No surprise - Alice looks gorgeous in HD.

The Blu-ray case is kind of disappointing. It's a slightly slimmer, eco-friendly case with a somewhat awkward side clasp.

Oh well. The movie is as awesome as ever. I've always loved Alice. I smile the entire time I watch it. It's so irreverent and fun.

Snaku

Banned
Got the last copy of Alice at the local Best Buy at around 7PM. Disney must have under-shipped this thing big time for it to sell out day one.

shwimpy

Snaku said:
Got the last copy of Alice at the local Best Buy at around 7PM. Disney must have under-shipped this thing big time for it to sell out day one.
I bought mine around 10:15 (store opens at 10) and it was barren. Maybe 5 copies left or so.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
BertramCooper said:
The Blu-ray case is kind of disappointing. It's a slightly slimmer, eco-friendly case with a somewhat awkward side clasp.
Something I learned recently about those annoying side clasps:

Once you've opened the case, you can press the clasp down onto the inner back of the Blu-ray case. There are two little clips on the inside of the clasp that keep it locked in the "down" position.

Now, you can simply close the case with the clasp neatly tucked away, and you never have to worry about it again.

MIND BLOWN.

WordAssassin said:
Got Alice! Woo! Redeemed my points, saw I had 625, and I couldn't click fast enough to get:[/I]
Ack . . . don't get me going on that program. I fell into it and saved up a ton of points . . . and then the thing I saved up some 3000 points for disappeared. :-/ (Tickets to a live show.)

Picked up Alice today.

smurfx

get some go again
i tried printing out the stupid coupon today and it failed 2 times. it didn't print out the bar code. wonder if they stopped it since so many people were taking advantage of it.

JDeluis

Whimsical Phil said:
Something I learned recently about those annoying side clasps:

Once you've opened the case, you can press the clasp down onto the inner back of the Blu-ray case. There are two little clips on the inside of the clasp that keep it locked in the "down" position.

Now, you can simply close the case with the clasp neatly tucked away, and you never have to worry about it again.

MIND BLOWN.

MIND BLOWN!

Even works on HD DVD cases as well.

speculawyer said:
Ack . . . don't get me going on that program. I fell into it and saved up a ton of points . . . and then the thing I saved up some 3000 points for disappeared. :-/ (Tickets to a live show.)

Picked up Alice today.
I didn't mean to insinuate the thing I wanted was gone, I meant once I had my points entered I went as fast as humanly possible to get that pin.

But yeah I feel your pain. It took me like three years to get the Duck Tales movie. Every time it was in stock, I had no points. Every time I had the points, it was out of stock. Then it was gone entirely. Then it was back but it was even more points and it came with the second Donald in Mathmagic Land DVD. UGGHHHH

B.K.

Snaku said:

My local Wal-Mart didn't even get the movie.

isny

napkin dispenser
BertramCooper said:
It won't work on Amazon, but some of the people on the DVDTalk forum have said Amazon will give you $10 off a future purchase if you contact customer support about the Alice coupon.

One of those people would be me, lol

FOOTE said:
I have Dumbo from Mexico as well, and I'm really glad I decided to import it because there hasn't been any indication that I am aware of that it will be released here anytime soon.

It's pretty much been confirmed now as coming this year. They spoke a lot about it in 2009, then changed their minds and only released it internationally, but have been marketing it now through inserts and trailers with their latest releases with a 2011 date.

WordAssassin said:
But yeah I feel your pain. It took me like three years to get the Duck Tales movie. Every time it was in stock, I had no points. Every time I had the points, it was out of stock. Then it was gone entirely. Then it was back but it was even more points and it came with the second Donald in Mathmagic Land DVD. UGGHHHH

It can be bought for around $5.00 through Amazon.co.uk or any other UK site. =)

I'm only missing Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty at this point. (Which I plan on getting sooner rather than later)

I have Beauty on the way, and everything else that's available for preorder has been ordered =D

j6770g.jpg

Hey guys, is there anyway to view the work in progress versions of some movies outside of the tiny box on 1/4tth of the screen? I'm talking about stuff like The Princess and the Frog, where they do some picture-in-picture shit. I wanna see that stuff play on the whole screen, not a fraction!!

isny said:
One of those people would be me, lol

It's pretty much been confirmed now as coming this year. They spoke a lot about it in 2009, then changed their minds and only released it internationally, but have been marketing it now through inserts and trailers with their latest releases with a 2011 date.

It can be bought for around $5.00 through Amazon.co.uk or any other UK site. =)

I'm only missing Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty at this point. (Which I plan on getting sooner rather than later)

I have Beauty on the way, and everything else that's available for preorder has been ordered =D

j6770g.jpg

Ummm, where is Pixar's Short Stories Vol. 1? You have alice in Wonderland live-action but not Bridge to Terabithia? COME ON NOW!

Top Bottom