• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

NO MANGA SPOILERS

DCGdR.jpg

It's been 7 years since the last anime, but Hiatus x Hiatus Hunter x Hunter is back!

What is it?

An adaptation of a manga by the same name and a full remake of the original anime series that aired in 1999-2004 with brand new art, music, voice actors and all that jazz. There have been a few changes such as the omission of Kite and the first 3 episodes being condensed into 1, but it leaves room for flashbacks later on and shouldn't be a problem for the overall plot.

What's it about?

In a world of adventure, there are professionals known as Hunters. Hunters are licensed, elite members of humanity who are capable of tracking down secret treasures, rare beasts, or even other individuals.

At the age of 12, Gon Freecs plans to take the Hunter examination. Soon he will learn what the world of Hunters entails as he sets out on an epic journey.

Studio?

Madhouse does it.

Characters!

Gon Freecs
jQmZ5.jpg

Gon Freecss is the talented twelve-year-old main protagonist of the series. He was left by his father, Ging, in the care of his "aunt" Mito on Whale Island. Gon is naturally talented in a variety of ways, including superhuman senses, uncanny learning potential, social skills, and immense strength. However, he is simultaneously prone to influence by things he finds intriguing regardless of their inherent ethics. His recklessness often leads him into getting into situations harmful to himself.

Kurapika
rxn8h.jpg

Kurapika is the sole survivor of the Kurta clan, a race with treasured irises that turn scarlet in times of anger or emotional agitation. Kurapika participates in the Hunter Exam alongside Gon in order to become a blacklist Hunter and gain the power to take revenge for his race. A band of thieves known as the Phantom Troupe murdered Kurapika's entire race for their scarlet eyes, highly sought after on the black market.

Leorio
O0U3R.jpg

Leorio befriends Gon during the Hunter Exam. In order not to give away too much of himself, Leorio claims that his reasons for becoming a Hunter are money alone. However, his true motive is to become a doctor. After losing a friend to a curable illness that he could not afford the treatment of, Leorio dedicates himself to becoming a Hunter so that he can pay for the costs of medical school and medicines to treat the impoverished for free. Though he is often outshone by the genius combat abilities of Gon and Killua, it should be noted that compared to the average man, Leorio is indeed very powerful.

Killua Zoldyck
lrPtO.jpg

Born as the middle child to the Zoldyck family, Killua mastered the trade at a young age and was designated to be the heir to the family business. But he rebelled against his family and ran away from home. Befriends Gon Freecss during the Hunter Exam.

Hisoka
q3RUo.jpg

Gon, Killua, Kurapika, and Leorio first encounter Hisoka during the Hunter Exam where he is known as the most dangerous person among all of the examinees. Hisoka registered for the Hunter Exam before, however, he was thrown out because he tried to kill one of the members of the examination committee. He is the best character in the anime/manga and all anime/manga/tv shows whatever and is awesome in every way.

Where to watch?
Crunchyroll

Now let's hope this one gets further than the last anime.

Nope, not starting from the very beginning(again). I'll wait until it catches up with the first anime in a couple years though *crosses finger*

titiklabingapat said:
Nope, not starting from the very beginning(again). I'll wait until it catches up with the first anime in a couple years though *crosses finger*

It's going a lot faster than the original. It covered 3 episodes in 1, so it might be caught up pretty quickly.

Trevelyon

Thank you for making this. I can only tolerate so much of Anime-GAF.

Have only seen the intro of the new show, but from the sounds of things those rumored changes were true. =(

Erigu

Trevelyon said:
Have only seem the intro of the new show, but from the sounds of things those rumored changes were true. =(
I don't know about that: the way the ending portrayed Hisoka was reassuring.

Max

I am not Max
Kind of like Dragonball Kai then? When will this be free on Crunchy roll, I remember reading the first chapter in Shonen Jump years ago

upandaway

Happy fun times! (<- spoiler alert, yes, this one)

Opening was silly. Ending was just bad. Episode was okay but had a lot of weird 1-second pauses that kinda bugged me, did anyone notice that? Or am I just ADD?

cosmicblizzard said:
It's going a lot faster than the original. It covered 3 episodes in 1, so it might be caught up pretty quickly.
Are they going to do 3 episodes per new episode now or is that just a one time thing? If it's the former, I might tune in. Might.

Erigu

Max said:
Kind of like Dragonball Kai then?
Not quite, as this one is an actual remake.

titiklabingapat said:
Are they going to do 3 episodes per new episodes now or is that just a one time thing?
Based on the first episode, it would seem they're trying to go quite a bit faster, but it's not like we've seen the future or anything.

upandaway

cosmicblizzard said:
Are you including episode 1 in that? Because they skipped that episode. (as in, they'll probably flashback it)

Saw the first ep and there's nothing about it i like .
I like the old VA better , i am waiting to see how they have Hisoka if they fuck him up i done with the series.

Qatar

I hope there's as much gore as it was before, specially Killua's scenes.
but from the art, it seems that that they are targeting much younger audience, which sucks >_>

Reknoc

Seems like a decent adaption so far. Missing Kaito scene aside. Obviously though it's hard to tell if they did any of the censoring stuff since none of that will really come into play until later.

The ending (terrible song aside) at least hints are Hisoka being more or less the same (shining boner).

Qatar said:
I hope there's as much gore as it was before, specially Killua's scenes.
but from the art, it seems that that they are targeting much younger audience, which sucks >_>

From the art, it looks like they're making Hunter x Hunter!

Erigu

Reknoc said:
From the art, it looks like they're making Hunter x Hunter!
Yeah, I find the character design a lot closer to the original work than before, actually. Definitely a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

FreeMufasa

One of my favourite series. I didn't even know it was getting a remake/new episodes. Dissapointing they've changed the OG VA but i'll still give it a shot.

Kyoufu

FootNinja said:
So just a remake? :(

Hisoka is the greatest character in any form of media and i genuinely mean this.

Agreed.

I would post a spoiler for my favourite Hisoka moment but it would ruin it for those who haven't seen the original, but needless to say, Hisoka is godlike.

Mumei

*squee*

<3 HxH

I'm a little disappointed about all-new voice actors, but might as well give them a chance~

Mael

Uchip said:
the VA sound close enough imo
i hope hisoka is still creepy enough

They can't afford to mess that one!

I'm indifferent to Gon, Kurapika's voice is kinda like the same (so...great) and Leolio is not as good but ok.
They totally didn't show Kaito though...

Killuia seems interesting though I guess they avoided having him in the first episode for some reason. Leoria is a favorite already. Overall I liked the episode. I think I can hang on without reading the manga thus far.

The opening and ending are just terrible though, so I hope they change at the 12-16 episode mark. However the ending is catchy.

Im just lost wondering if characters have supernatural powers in the vein of say Toriko, or if they are just powerful fighters.

Reknoc

Dedication Through Light said:
Killuia seems interesting though I guess they avoided having him in the first episode for some reason. Leoria is a favorite already. Overall I liked the episode. I think I can hang on without reading the manga thus far.

They avoided having him in the first episode because he doesn't show up yet! Will probably see him in the third episode.

Kyoufu

The opening and ending are just terrible though, so I hope they change at the 12-16 episode mark. However the ending is catchy.

Im just lost wondering if characters have supernatural powers in the vein of say Toriko, or if they are just powerful fighters.

Killua is introduced in due time. Let's just say shounen like Naruto got their inspiration from HxH, so definitely stick with it!

Jex

That was a fairly disappointing first episode. As a fan of the earlier adaptation, I probably won't be keeping up with this (unless it radically improves).

Zaptruder

Banned
Hope they carry this one upto but not including the ant kingdom arc. Alternative ending it before that point... because otherwise, I don't think we'll ever be seeing a meaningful conclusion to the series.

Clegg

Zaptruder said:
Hope they carry this one upto but not including the ant kingdom arc. Alternative ending it before that point... because otherwise, I don't think we'll ever be seeing a meaningful conclusion to the series.
Ant Arc finished last week.

We're at the start of a new one now.

ZoddGutts

While not bad it feels inferior to the first series. They sacrificed ton of development between Mito and Gon. Now their relationship doesn't feel as deep as the original series did. Kaito not showing up is also disappointing. The animation was good but lacks the detail the original had. Overall not bad, just worry they'll be speeding through this and cutting out a ton of development time to keep the series at a faster pace. One of the great things that made the original series so great is how well they developed everything, the characters, story pacing and the world setting.

Qatar I hope there's as much gore as it was before, specially Killua's scenes.

It's been mentioned that they would be toning down the violence. And Hisoka's personality no longer is perverted and would be changed apparently. Could be false than again they also mention Kaito wouldn't show up and they were right.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3499.html

It's explained, later in the series. I'm not sure if it's spoilerish, but tagged just in case
The characters in the show start off as just powerful fighters, but eventually learn to unlock and harness "Nen" an energy similar to Ki or Chakra, and the abilities get kinda crazy from there.

Kyoufu

ZoddGutts said:
While not bad it feels inferior to the first series. They sacrificed ton of development between Mito and Gon. Now their relationship doesn't feel as deep as the original series did. Kaito not showing up is also disappointing. The animation was good but lacks the detail the original had. Overall not bad, just worry they'll be speeding through this and cutting out a ton of development time to keep the series at a faster pace. One of the great things that made the original series so great is how well they developed everything, the characters, story pacing and the world setting.

It's been mentioned that they would be toning down the violence. And Hisoka's personality no longer is perverted and would be changed apparently. Could be false than again they also mention Kaito wouldn't show up and they were right.

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-3499.html

Wow what the fuck? That is not good. Pass. Hisoka isn't Hisoka without his perverted personality.

Takao

Banned
Max said:
Kind of like Dragonball Kai then? When will this be free on Crunchy roll, I remember reading the first chapter in Shonen Jump years ago

No, this seems to have had some actual effort put into it, so it can't be Kai.

As for when it's free on CR, it'll be free next week. Subscribers have a 7 day advantage over free users.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Howwwwwww did I not know about this! My favorite manga series of all time!

EDIT: And it seems like it isn't that good, awww....

flsh

Banned
This is the first anime I watched in Japanese. I remember being blown away by it and when the anime episodes ran out (one of the OVAs) I started reading the manga. It was my gateway anime :(
No matter how fondly I remember the series, those hiatuses were killing it for me. I am not watching this until it ends or the manga ends.

Is Togashi healthy now? Because I have no intention of falling in love with the series again only to see the manga still takes 2 years to go through 10 chapters. Simply not worth it.

Clegg

flsh said:
This is the first anime I watched in Japanese. I remember being blown away by it and when the anime episodes ran out (one of the OVAs) I started reading the manga. It was my gateway anime :(
No matter how fondly I remember the series, those hiatuses were killing it for me. I am not watching this until it ends or the manga ends.

Is Togashi healthy now? Because I have no intention of falling in love with the series again only to see the manga still takes 2 years to go through 10 chapters. Simply not worth it.
Well he's finally finished the Ant Arc and laid the foundations for the next arc.

You should check it out.

flsh

Banned
And then be stuck at the next arc? No thanks :(

It was so weird for me to see how his drawing style went to shit in the Ant arc. I read it for about a year and a half and just gave up. Too many breaks.
By then I started reading mangas that were actually serial
and cried myself to sleep because I felt like a girl who discovered she gave her virginity to an STD stricken sociopath

Ezalc

Well I've never seen the original, and I enjoyed the first episode of this so I want to check the series out, should I just watch the old one instead or just follow this new one?

Clegg

flsh said:
And then be stuck at the next arc? No thanks :(

It was so weird for me to see how his drawing style went to shit in the Ant arc. I read it for about a year and a half and just gave up. Too many breaks.
By then I started reading mangas that were actually serial
and cried myself to sleep because I felt like a girl who discovered she gave her virginity to an STD stricken sociopath
Except very few manga reach the same level of quality that HxH has hit.

I can forgive the poor art because the actual content in HxH is better than that of most manga out there.

flsh

Banned
I don't disagree. My problem was only the long breaks between episodes. I could deal with the ugly drawing style because the story was incredible.

I don't know why he isn't putting more work. I guess he and his wife are sitting on a fortune and he just doesn't give a fuck anymore. There's no reason why he couldn't let someone else draw and have a biweekly series instead of going to breaks so often.

I know nothing about this series other than OMG every week in the manga thread, is the first series similar to Full Metal Alchemist? where it goes filler after a certain amount of episode or is it all canon?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Well this has convinced me to break out all of my volumes of the manga for a marathon the next few days. Why? Because I feel like it.
This series really does feel like one of the pinnacles of the shonen genre to me.

Clegg

Nemesis121 said:
I know nothing about this series other than OMG every week in the manga thread, is the first series similar to Full Metal Alchemist? where it goes filler after a certain amount of episode or is it all canon?
Its all canon for every one of its 62 episodes. Then after you've finished the 62 theres another 30 OVA episodes which follow canon too.

They finish the series after the OVA's though as the manga was on hiatus and there werent enough chapters left to animate at the time.

Ezalc said:
Well I've never seen the original, and I enjoyed the first episode of this so I want to check the series out, should I just watch the old one instead or just follow this new one?

I would say watch the older series .

vareon

Ezalc said:

We've seen too little of the new series to make conclusions, but the old series (+ OVAs) are really, really good. It's very faithful to the manga except a tiny bit of filler episode that you won't realize anyway since it's pretty good and consistent with canon.

Piecake

vareon said:
We've seen too little of the new series to make conclusions, but the old series (+ OVAs) are really, really good. It's very faithful to the manga except a tiny bit of filler episode that you won't realize anyway since it's pretty good and consistent with canon.

Eh, Greed Island kinda blows. It would be nice to have a remade version of that. That ending fight probably had the worst animation I have ever seen

Top Bottom