• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Watched episode 1. This is not faster pacing. This is just skipping and cutting out a bunch of stuff that mattered (in other words, development and interactions between characters).

Lame.

Will keep watching to see how this works out.

I watched this when I was younger, and one of the scenes that I remember the most about the first episodes is that line when
Gon talks about Mito's smell:
"Mito, your smell...I don't know my real mother's smell, but Mito, you have my mother's smell. Wherever I go, I won't forget it. Mito, you're like my mom."
I would have loved to see that in the new one.

Radec

They should have continue the anime series and go to an alternate path away from the Ant/Alien arc.

Hisoka vs Kuroro would have been some epic shit.

But I guess we can only dream.

- -
oh and this is awesome..

405f1a6aa2ceb041bdde89ef58a1bca5.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Holy fuck. That art is EPIC.

I want a HxH game in the Ultimate Ninja Storm gameplay format with that art-style in that picture. STAT.

Lirlond said:
What are you guys talking about with Leorio? This has so far been near enough panel for panel.

Yeah, but a lot people want the filler too because their only experience with the series is the original anime. I know Hitokage and Jexhius will just argue that the people fine with it being cut out are "manga purists".

I hope they get to the Ant arc and it's not that far away since they're going really fast with this one.

I'm at Greed Island in the original series. Should I continue or wait till this version gets to GI?

Btw, the York Shin arc was great. It felt really different from how HxH felt up to at that point because of all the mafia stuff.

Episode 3
tumblr_lt58o2fh2l1r4s8who1_500.gif

Just needed a bit more action, however, Killua and Gon's perception of the juice was interesting. Killua has such a cool personality, though as the opening and ending suggest, I wonder the events that allow him to become part of the main crew.

What the flying fuck is this shit!? Flowers!? They keep the guy's shining boner in the credits but can't even get one of his first defining moments right? What's gonna happen when Killua
rips a dude's heart out of his chest? Is it going to disintegrate into rolls of tasty pastries?
They even censored a bit of his backstory by saying he
ALMOST killed one of the examiners instead of saying he killed one/a few. We already know people kill people in this show, so what's the point?

And what the hell did they do to Hanzo's eyebrows? Then we got Killua who is acting a lot nicer unless I'm remembering wrong. Either way, super disappointing.

Gonna keep watching, but with extremely tempered expectations. It does look like the pace is slowing down as it only covered 1 episode this time. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but it may speed up again if the preview is anything to go by.

Piecake

cosmicblizzard said:
What the flying fuck is this shit!? Flowers!? They keep the guy's shining boner in the credits but can't even get one of his first defining moments right? What's gonna happen when Killua
rips a dude's heart out of his chest? Is it going to disintegrate into rolls of tasty pastries?
They even censored a bit of his backstory by saying he
ALMOST killed one of the examiners instead of saying he killed one/a few. We already know people kill people in this show, so what's the point?

And what the hell did they do to Hanzo's eyebrows? Then we got Killua who is acting a lot nicer unless I'm remembering wrong. Either way, super disappointing.

Gonna keep watching, but with extremely tempered expectations. It does look like the pace is slowing down as it only covered 1 episode this time. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but it may speed up again if the preview is anything to go by.

Man, that sounds terrible. I really wanted to watch this once they hit Greed Island (worst animation ever), but I dont know anymore...

Gonaria said:
Man, that sounds terrible. I really wanted to watch this once they hit Greed Island (worst animation ever), but I dont know anymore...

There's still a chance it could get better. The ED does imply some morbid plot points, so I really don't know how they'll get away with censoring certain scenes.

Still might be a good idea to wait it out for now. Who knows, maybe people will complain and it'll move to a later timeblock allowing for more violence (EXTREMELY unlikely, but you never know).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The flowers mess is the BAIL OUT sign, if I ever saw one. If they're going to make a joke of the censoring, it's going to get unwatchable.

Episode 4
tumblr_ltibh0acK21qa66tgo1_r1_250.jpg

Wow the Hunters Exam is long, ready for more. I enjoyed the characters interactions, really insightful.
Kurapika and Leorio's backstory were both touching, however Kurapika seems to have the rather vain motive for just doing it out of revenge. Gon and Killua's motive is just odd, surely there could be something more sentimental or deeper. Also, I hate when named characters are defeated in the next episode, dude with laptop for example...
Finally some fighting is on the horizon!

upandaway

The censoring... was fine. It wasn't bad.

Hisoka didn't kill the monkey, but that's not a big deal.

I'm even more confused now why we got flowers last episode.

upandaway said:
The censoring... was fine. It wasn't bad.

Hisoka didn't kill the monkey, but that's not a big deal.

I'm even more confused now why we got flowers last episode.

Just saw ep 4 that part was so much better in the other anime .
Hisoka new VA is just not doing it for me time to bail out for certain .

upandaway

Yeah Hisoka's VA is kinda weird. The most important kicker for me though is the background music and I don't think it's that good.

EviLore said:
Original series is so good (until Greed Island) that I really have no interest in this remake. Maybe until it starts covering material I haven't seen yet.
Yeah, I'm just hearing about this and I don't get it. If they wanted to make new stuff to cover NGL and the ants ok, but the original was great and I don't think it's aged poorly. I think I'm alone in liking greed island though. It's not great for the story but the reason Loved Togashi's writing was how good he is a endless small detail. if you read the volumes he actually made up all 40 spell cards and so many rules of the game that were never brought up. He has whole chapters about the logistics behind a battle that are fucking great. I love the new chapters that are out as well.

BobTheFork said:
Yeah, I'm just hearing about this and I don't get it. If they wanted to make new stuff to cover NGL and the ants ok, but the original was great and I don't think it's aged poorly. I think I'm alone in liking greed island though. It's not great for the story but the reason Loved Togashi's writing was how good he is a endless small detail. if you read the volumes he actually made up all 40 spell cards and so many rules of the game that were never brought up. He has whole chapters about the logistics behind a battle that are fucking great. I love the new chapters that are out as well.

Greed Island is my favorite arc. You're definitely not alone.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
BobTheFork said:

Right, well, as far as the anime goes, the second set of greed island OVAs is a major dip in production quality (and shift in tone etc.) so I don't watch it when I watch the series, and since the first set of greed island OVAs is just setup, I stop at the end of the auction arc.

Ep 4

Only notable censoring is the lack of blood during the
card impaling
, which is kind of weird considering we've already seen a decent amount of blood in episode 2. The Hisoka gimping might still be up in the air.

A bit disappointed they cut out the alternate route in the tunnel and Tonpa being douchey to the main group, but w/e. Not super important and Tonpa's character has already been established.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Dedication Through Light said:
Episode 5
Either Gon and everyone is rather weak or theyve made Hisoka seem overpowered. He doesnt even feel like an antagonist.
DTL, have you seen/read HxH before?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Dedication Through Light said:
Nope this anime is my first time encountering the series.
If you enjoy it, I highly recommend you check out the manga. Probably the best Shōnen series of the last decade.

flsh

Banned
I really hate the voice acting in this version. It is absolutely atrocious in its own right. It doesn't help that the original anime had great voice acting. They made Hisoka annoying (I see... I see.. I see..., unmemorable voice compared to original series), Mito sounds like an old lady etc'

The censoring has already been discussed and I completely agree. No point in censoring this show as it is too bloody to pull it off in a good way.

Well at least we know people die now. I don't fully remember the corresponding episodes in the old series, but the only major bit of censorship this episode seems to be a lack of blood here and there. People still get
impaled and cards through their head
, so the subject matter for the most part is still intact.

It seems Hisoka isn't as intimidating as in the original, but I'll blame the direction on that rather than the content. It isn't THAT much worse and shades of his sadistic perverted nature are showing. The
tag taking
test will be what we really have to watch for in regards to whether Hisoka has really be totally gimped or not.

Episode 6
tumblr_lu8m1oypP61qa5hsao1_500.png

That was fun, gourmet hunters almost reminded me of Toriko, so glad the phase two was finished in just one episode. Stoked about the next episode for the promise of more Killua action.

The Chairman sounds like the old man of weatheria in One Piece, cool.

upandaway

I mean it doesn't even make sense. Fine, you cut out part 2 of the second phase to save time. That's, at the very least, logical. But then you pad out the rest of the events?

What's the point? The padded filler wasn't nearly as good as the original content and it was just as lengthy. It's like they traded manga content for filler.

They got rid of so much good detail for 10 minutes which they put back in filler later anyway. I'm lost.

And we get our first taste of Killua's talents. That's good since it probably means we won't get any plot censorship.

With the tower starting next episode, the moment of truth is almost upon us. Will the show incorporate massive censorship and omit the tone shifts, or will we be in the clear when and if this version actually gets around to the Chimera Ant arc?

Just started this, and finished the first 4 episodes.

I read parts of the manga (some parts of it) and remember parts of it being gory.

It's okay so far, but I guess I will continue.

Did the battles between exam takers start yet? I think that was the bloody part in the manga

Episode 7
tumblr_luly1lwzU81qchgkso2_500.jpg

WOW Killua was so cool, I didnt know he had those skills and is
an assassin?! hes just a kid!
I wonder what other skills he has. Him and Gon v Netero was one of the best moments of the anime thus far.

They really keep characters alignments nebulous, for example
Killua seems like he has some antagonist evil alignment like Hisoka...which I really hope is not the case, but Killua killing those folks for bumping into him :(

And green blood...

upandaway

The thing itself is really not anything offensive or repulsive, but... I just think the music in the old anime was a thousand times better. The music is the biggest difference, easily.

I like the music in both versions. They're just different. The original had more of a coming-of-age feel to it, while the remake is happier/goofier.

Tonpa still a douche. It's been a while, but I feel like him
giving up
was more epic here than in the original.

Either next episode or the one after that will be the moment of truth regarding censorship. The anticipation is killing me. By this time in 2 weeks, I will be either super disappointed and possibly drop the series until it gets past Greed Island or I will be super relieved and continue to watch it.

giving up

Either next episode or the one after that will be the moment of truth regarding censorship. The anticipation is killing me. By this time in 2 weeks, I will be either super disappointed and possibly drop the series until it gets past Greed Island or I will be super relieved and continue to watch it.

This keeps being brought up but is something that graphic or something supposed to be coming?

upandaway

giving up

Will it really? I thought the moment of truth was when Hisoka first appeared. (manga)
As far as the heart goes, they could just as easily handle it as they did Killua when he stopped playing with Netero. Make it a silhouette and then showing the blood on Jones's shirt.
It's kinda obvious at this point that it will never be as graphic as the manga even if the same stuff happen.

Also it'll probably not be next episode because Leorio's psychology fight lasts an eternity of dialogue

This keeps being brought up but is something that graphic or something supposed to be coming?

Yes, something quite graphic is coming.

Will it really? I thought the moment of truth was when Hisoka first appeared. (manga)
As far as the heart goes, they could just as easily handle it as they did Killua when he stopped playing with Netero. Make it a silhouette and then showing the blood on Jones's shirt.
It's kinda obvious at this point that it will never be as graphic as the manga even if the same stuff happen.

Also it'll probably not be next episode because Leorio's psychology fight lasts an eternity of dialogue

Yeah I know. It's just the first significantly gorey event that really helps set the tone for the rest of the series. Even if it isn't outright shown, the way the scene is handled could really alter the future of this adaptation. I mean it has gotten better like with
Killua killing the dudes
so I'm still curious.

Episode 9
tumblr_lvb4zsKAEG1qaben4o6_500.gif

Silly way to win but whatever. Kurapika got all scary, that was wow! I hope he gets his own plotline to get revenge or something. I cant wait for next episode, I guess it is Killua's chance to show more skills.

Lirlond

The next fight is Leorio right? Might mean we don't get the "censorship" episode for another fortnight, hopefully they get the two of them in the same episode.

The next fight is Leorio right? Might mean we don't get the "censorship" episode for another fortnight, hopefully they get the two of them in the same episode.

Nah, we'll almost definitely get that scene next episode. It isn't exactly long and they could easily end with it.

Top Bottom