• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PnP RPGs OT || Come play the REAL RPGs

Keasar

Was it translated to English? It sounds nice.

Sadly it never was, it remained exclusive for sweden and the chances for a translation now are slim since the creators of the 6th edition and upwards, Riotminds, have gone dark and only keep their page up for the online service (pay a subscription and you get access to E-versions of all books, extra tools and whatnot to use for playsessions). :(

Sad really, they always put alot of emphasiz that this was about the storytelling, sitting togheter huddled around candles and telling mystical stories togheter about the wild forests of the north, in which of course you could then roleplay your characters. There was always such a cozy atmosphere with this game. Problem is that the swedish PnP RPG industry havent performed well lately.

Haha, I have the second edition of this, published in 1985. As a kid it was my first contact with RPG's (my brother got it from a friend) though I never did play it very seriously. At that time I think it was more or less a Nordicised version of D&D, before focusing more heavily on actual Nordic myths and stuff?

As I understand it, it was with the 6th edition made by Riotminds around 2000 where the game took a heavy turn towards being nordic themed. Before that there was the clearly D&D (Drakar och Demoner is called DoD here) stuff and then there was the 4th or 5th edition that was centered around some really weird world called Chronopia. One thing was clear though, the early editions did give us a chance to play as ducks.

Did a translation of the text at the Drakar och Demoner page on RPGGeek, its 4 in the morning, I am kinda tired so please dont go too hard on me if it sounds completely wrong. :p
Welcome to the world of tales.

It was as if the forest and fog was a single being. As if they breathed togheter. The proud elves had always claimed that the fog was the breath of the forest and maybe they were right.

Far beneath the roots of the trees spreads another fog, the one from the dark dwarve's firestoves. Deep rumbling voices mixes togheter with echoing clangs of hammers against the heavy anvils. Here the hard iron takes shape beneath excited flames.

Treasures are carried off to hidden vaults.

Outside the forest wanders humans over unknown lands in their hunt for treasures and wisdom. Close on their heals the beasts gather togheter and howl against the dark sky. Like a open wolven jaw with its deadly fangs lies the wilderness, with all its trolls and other beasts, and waits on those who dares to cross its lands. It is a wild filled with forest, mountains and endless plains, a place where snow lies heavy on pinecovered branches and a cold pale moon lights up the wanderers way.

Welcome to the world of tales, a world where the depths of the forest hides secrets bigger then the dragons wisdom. Discover Trudvang, a new fantastic world of tale where you and your friends are heroes and protagonists. Come to a place where only the imagination sets the limit to what might happen.

Pretty sure I botched up the translation because of my poor grammar, but I tried.

Well as I mentioned earlier about my return to paper and pen gaming things are picking up quicker than expected. I have four people wanting to play right now which is good. I would like to play more than once every 3 weeks so I will work on the players with that suggestion.

Spent lots of time writing some history of various aspects of the world and fleshing out the bone coast where the adventures will take place. So today I will be penning the first parts of the adventure and seeing where it goes.

dude

dude
Well as I mentioned earlier about my return to paper and pen gaming things are picking up quicker than expected. I have four people wanting to play right now which is good. I would like to play more than once every 3 weeks so I will work on the players with that suggestion.

Spent lots of time writing some history of various aspects of the world and fleshing out the bone coast where the adventures will take place. So today I will be penning the first parts of the adventure and seeing where it goes.

Good luck! I'm sure all of us would love to help if you need anything :)

Wow at Pathfinder's new sourcebook, Distant Worlds, which details the rest of the planets/moons/etc in Golarion's solar system. Lots of cool Burrough's touchpoints, and I'm loving it so far.

PathfinderDistantWorlds.jpg

Keasar

Wow at Pathfinder's new sourcebook, Distant Worlds, which details the rest of the planets/moons/etc in Golarion's solar system. Lots of cool Burrough's touchpoints, and I'm loving it so far.

http://www.gamesalute.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/PathfinderDistantWorlds.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Put an order down for the Core Rulebook, first Bestiary and a GM screen earlier this week, just got the GM screen in the mail. My friends seemed to enjoy alot the game when we tried out the Beginners Box (which I wanna add is an excellent introduction to PnP RPGs, best design of a starter kit I have seen so far). So looking really forward to getting the books.

Spent the evening reading the book [URL="http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/111774/jorges-bestiarium"]Jorges Bestiarium[/URL] for Drakar och Demoner. My oldest DoD book in my collection. It is an absolutely fantastic read for a bestiary. The book is built so that each monster is first introduced with a story told from the perspective of the traveling bestiary writer Jorge Gronfjard, often quite exciting or horrifying tales of his encounters with the various creatures, some just told as a second-hand stories as he have heard from other travellers (often followed by him finding some proof of the creatures existance). This is then followed by images and then by the more describing stuff for roleplaying game purposes. I remember reading this book about ~10 years ago down at the local gameshop and bought it shortly after, not because I had the rules or wanted to play the game, but because it was such an exciting collection of tales about monsters that closely resembles scandinavian folklore.

Some image examples of the creatures. A [URL="http://i.imgur.com/zcbsn.jpg"]Forest Giant[/URL], a [URL="http://i.imgur.com/YWgIl.jpg"]Kingstroll[/URL], a [URL="http://i.imgur.com/pCPMY.jpg"]Logedragon[/URL] (Loge or Logi, meaning flame, was the giant who ruled over fire in scandinavian mythology) and lastly my favourite, the [URL="http://i.imgur.com/Msvcw.jpg"]Icetrolls[/URL].

Put an order down for the Core Rulebook, first Bestiary and a GM screen earlier this week, just got the GM screen in the mail. My friends seemed to enjoy alot the game when we tried out the Beginners Box (which I wanna add is an excellent introduction to PnP RPGs, best design of a starter kit I have seen so far). So looking really forward to getting the books.

Keep us posted. I love to hear gamer's first impression of systems.

And man, wasn't the Beginner Box phenomenal? It's one of my all time fave RPG products.

HOLY SHIT at those excellent illustrations from Jorges Bestiarium!

Keasar

Keep us posted. I love to hear gamer's first impression of systems.

And man, wasn't the Beginner Box phenomenal? It's one of my all time fave RPG products.

I am going to say the box was. I loved how it was built from the moment of opening it (how it was layered with its content), to it's very easy instructions on how to play and smoothly get people into its rules. I thought it was great that I could just bring the box over to a social evening at the school, whip it out with the premade character sheets and just get people to play within 15 minutes, even though nobody but me at the table had played the game before. Also borrowed it out to a couple of friends who had a small teambuilding evening during their game project and from I heard, a couple of their teammembers had a pretty good time despite everyone being completely new at it.

HOLY SHIT at those excellent illustrations from Jorges Bestiarium!

Yeah, DoD was very well known for their lovely illustrations beginning around that book (which was released before the revised 6th edition that kept the theme). They even got some of the sickest dwarves ever. Like shown in this picture, the ones in the foreground are called Borjonikka dwarves, the most common type found. The one in the background is the Zvorda dwarf. Zvorda are half-trolls half-dwarves that can become pretty powerfull, though often lacking in numbers and found as loners. And here is one the bastards armored. I was lucky to get ahold of the dwarf module called Eld och Sot (Fire and Soot) that describes the dwarfs in detail before they stopped printing the physical books.

Nairume

Banned
I love Savage Worlds! Anyone who feels overwhelmed or weighed down by DnD should check it out. So much simpler to play, but it still handles the important stuff really well.
It's basically my favorite system now. My group has managed to get a lot of mileage out of just how flexible the system is with different settings. We've managed to jump from Indiana Jones-y pulp, to Super heroes, to Wild West, to SciFi, and even Power Rangers with little need for a ton of different books. More of the gaming community needs to try the system out.

I also met some of the team behind the system, and they are all super cool.

Fou-Lu

I'm a D&D fanboy, though I haven't played in a long time, (no group to play with) but I'm really tempted to get a group together and give Pathfinder a go, I've heard lots of good thing and I absolutely love the art style they have going. Since it's based on 3.5 edition I'm guessing grids and boards aren't basically required like 4ed D&D?

Side note: There are so many RPGs I'd love to play, but the subject matter doesn't grab enough players like Dresden Files or Call of Cthulhu or Pendragon or even WFRP.

I'm a D&D fanboy, though I haven't played in a long time, (no group to play with) but I'm really tempted to get a group together and give Pathfinder a go, I've heard lots of good thing and I absolutely love the art style they have going. Since it's based on 3.5 edition I'm guessing grids and boards aren't basically requited like 4ed D&D?

Side note: There are so many RPGs I'd love to play, but the subject matter doesn't grab enough players like Dresden Files or Call of Cthulhu or Pendragon or even WFRP.

True enough. It's like a well streamlined 3.5. I was resistant to it for years, and I freely admit I was totally wrong. It's my fave system to play right now, and I'm so lucky to have a biweekly group.

dude

dude
V20 Kickstarter is ending in 33 hours.
V:tM fans, last chance to pledge!

I want them to rerelease Mage next.

So I will be getting my players to roll characters and they want:
-human ranger
-elf rogue
-gnome fighter
-half-orc monk

No Cleric or Wizard/Sorcerer. Could be painful :)

cj_iwakura

Very tentatively speaking, who would be interested in a Vampire: The Masquerade chronicle?

I'd probably homebrew it using NWoD mechanics, because OW's suck.

What kickstarter for V:TM? And I own the new Mage books, so...

dude

dude
Very tentatively speaking, who would be interested in a Vampire: The Masquerade chronicle?

I'd probably homebrew it using NWoD mechanics, because OW's suck.

What kickstarter for V:TM? And I own the new Mage books, so...

oWod suck?! You take that back sir!
I'd be interested, if time differences is of no concern... It probably will be though, so... :\

As for the Kickstarter - It's a new V:tM book, detailing some new stuff such as 21st century nights, Caitiffs and more. It's part of the 20th anniversary thing (V20). I think it's very interesting for anyone who still plays V:tM, as this sort of info hasn't really been addressed so far...
Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/v20-companion-deluxe-edition

As for Mage, I should have been clear I was referring to Mage: The Ascension. I was hoping for a similar M20 with new books.
I'm pretty sure they'll do an M20 celebration (It's due either next year or the year after that, I forgot which), seeing as how W20 for Werewolf: The Apocalypse is happening - But I don't know if we'll also get new stuff or just re-releases.

cj_iwakura

oWod suck?! You take that back sir!
I'd be interested, if time differences is of no concern... It probably will be though, so... :\

As for the Kickstarter - It's a new V:tM book, detailing some new stuff such as 21st century nights, Caitiffs and more. It's part of the 20th anniversary thing (V20). I think it's very interesting for anyone who still plays V:tM, as this sort of info hasn't really been addressed so far...
Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/v20-companion-deluxe-edition

As for Mage, I should have been clear I was referring to Mage: The Ascension. I was hoping for a similar M20 with new books.
I'm pretty sure they'll do an M20 celebration (It's due either next year or the year after that, I forgot which), seeing as how W20 for Werewolf: The Apocalypse is happening - But I don't know if we'll also get new stuff or just re-releases.

Honestly don't like Ascension more than Awakening, except for the art. OWoD had stellar art design.

In fact, the only thing I don't like about OWoD is the mechanics, which was what I was criticizing. :p

I want to get into a real time MapTools game of 3.5e (where I am only equipped with d20 SRD and whatever other resources I can find), but I'm afraid of embarrassing myself by jumping into one (I'm still fairly new and my experience playing is pretty limited). I do have RPing experience at least.

Any GAFfers able to hook me up with a game to join that can help me get my feet wet?

Keasar

Holy crap at the sizes of these books. Just got the Pathfinder Core and Bestiary books and boy are they fat. The Drakar och Demoner books are roughly 200 pages each but this one is over 500.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Still think its weird that this thread's on gaming side, but the board gaming and miniatures gaming threads are on OT. I guess the MTG thread's on OT side as well.

dude

dude
Holy crap at the sizes of these books. Just got the Pathfinder Core and Bestiary books and boy are they fat. The Drakar och Demoner books are roughly 200 pages each but this one is over 500.

This is something I really hate about P&P games today - Books are getting bigger and bigger, it's pretty ridiculous. Who the hell reads 500 pages to play a game? Jeez.

That's something I really looking forward to in D&D "Next" (ugh), potentially you could play without having to read those monstrous books.

Still think its weird that this thread's on gaming side, but the board gaming and miniatures gaming threads are on OT. I guess the MTG thread's on OT side as well.
Well, EviLore was quite clear that PnP is gaming. But you're right, you'd think those would be on the gaming side as well.

This is something I really hate about P&P games today - Books are getting bigger and bigger, it's pretty ridiculous. Who the hell reads 500 pages to play a game? Jeez.

To be fair, the Pathfinder Core is the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide in one book. ;)

I'm a D&D fanboy, though I haven't played in a long time, (no group to play with) but I'm really tempted to get a group together and give Pathfinder a go, I've heard lots of good thing and I absolutely love the art style they have going. Since it's based on 3.5 edition I'm guessing grids and boards aren't basically required like 4ed D&D?

You've heard wrong because Pathfinder is pretty terrible.

It's like, take D&D 3.5, add on terrible houserules, and make the problems that 3.5 had even worse.

You've heard wrong because Pathfinder is pretty terrible.

It's like, take D&D 3.5, add on terrible houserules, and make the problems that 3.5 had even worse.

Boo this man. Pathfinder is one of the best games going, and Paizo supports it's community like no other.

There's a reason it's the best selling game out there.

dude

dude
Path finder is not without faults... I personally don't think it sucks, but I think it's a legitimate opinion. There are some terrible rules in Pathfinder, and it does add some more problems to the mix (though it fixes others.)

Anyway, V20 Kickstarter is done! Didn't get to the 100K milestone, but it almost did as 193% funding. Now I can't wait for the book :)

Path finder is not without faults... I personally don't think it sucks, but I think it's a legitimate opinion. There are some terrible rules in Pathfinder, and it does add some more problems to the mix (though it fixes others.)

Every game has some flaws but overall Pathfinder is pure D&D, and is the best thing to come out of 4E.

There's no argument to be made that it's "pretty terrible" and "make the problems that 3.5 had even worse" That's just crazy talk.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Really want to find an rpg group... The Essentials group in this town never responded to my requests for more info.

hoverX

PathfinderDistantWorlds.jpg

"Plus, uncover information on the residents of the sun"

lol

"Plus, uncover information on the residents of the sun"

lol

The book is amazing.

Yet despite the harshness of its environs, the sun is still host to organic life. Within its fiery depths, massive dolphinlike fire elementals are spontaneously born, rolling and diving in the seas of flame. Deeper down, where the heat and pressure grow so great that the combusting gases change into plasma, some of this strange energy takes on a life of its own. The resulting plasma oozes (Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 3 220) are shimmering entities ranging in size from that of terrestrial elephants to blistering mountains, and the mindless giants slither endlessly through the flaming murk.

Not all residents of the sun are native to it. Because of the massive amounts of energy being created within the sun, the fabric of existence regularly gives way, creating temporary portals to the Plane of Fire. Creatures from salamanders to efreet often pass through these portals, and thanks to the sun’s tremendous size, whole empires can rise and fall without encountering each other. Of course, this vastness and lack of landmarks means that there’s also little here to interest intelligent beings beyond solitude and the aesthetic beauty of solar flares.

ShinjukoOtaku

Neo Member
Hey guys, im new to the PNP scene and have a question.

are there any good 2 player PNP RPGs. i'm looking for something easy to pick up and play with my brother. i don't see him too often but he's coming to visit soon and when i spoke to him about it we both agreed it might be a pretty fun way to spend a couple of evenings

so basically:

-two player PNP rpg ideally with a contemporary setting though d&d is ok too

-easy

any ideas?

dude

dude
You could play virtually any PnP RPG with as many players as you'd like. I even know there's some guy on YouTube that plays D&D 4e by himself! (Works surprisingly good)
So really, the number of players shouldn't really be a big deal - Playing with two players is usually called a one-on-one, with one being the DM and the other the player. it can work very well.

As or contemporary setting, that's a really broad category - Could you be more specific? What sort of genre/setting are you looking for?

ShinjukoOtaku

Neo Member
To be honest now I know they all translate to two players I think we might go for one of the titles mentioned in the OP.

Thanks for the help!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Well, like last year I decided to start running another game in my store that turned out to be god damn awesome. First is was Magic, this year, about 2 months ago, it is Pathfinder/D&D. I picked up the Pathfinder Beginner Box to check it out since I thought about carrying it, and GMed it with a few of my friends. Everyone loved it almost immediately.

Now I have a good amount of shelf space dedicated to both games and play 3 scheduled times a week. Pathfinder on Tuesdays and Sundays, D&D Encounters on Wednesdays. We are up to about session 10 or 11 I think, doing the Crown of the Kobold King module. We are going to start trying Lair Assaults probably on random days now. I enjoy it VERY much, but I have been deemed the store DM, so I never get to actually play :(

If you guys run a Skype game or something I would love to get a chance to hop in and actually play for the first time lol

Would a Pathfinder SRD be acceptable for being a player trying to get into some online games and getting experienced into P&P RPGs? I am thinking that I won't be able to find a game to play on 3.5e alone, so I wanna learn Pathfinder to make it easier.

If you guys run a Skype game or something I would love to get a chance to hop in and actually play for the first time lol
This.

Would a Pathfinder SRD be acceptable for being a player trying to get into some online games and getting experienced into P&P RPGs? I am thinking that I won't be able to find a game to play on 3.5e alone, so I wanna learn Pathfinder to make it easier.

This.

It's all the rules but I'm not sure it s very readable as far as learning to play. You can find the $50 core book online for like $35 I think. It's well worth it IMO as its one of the best looking/feeling books out there.

Check out the other PFSRD too. I like the format/searching better. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Yeah, I'm hoping that if I enjoy the games enough (if I can get into them, can't play IRL either) I'll invest in a handbook.

The site you listed is actually what I am going to use, and I am thankful it exists.

teiresias

Ugh, I've had all of the major D&D Essentials products for like a year because my friends wanted to try and play, but then we all got busy and I still haven't been able to find time to get things started. I still think 4E is better for my friends who like board games, so having the encounters grid heavy gives them something to anchor to, if only for the combat aspects of the game.

Personally, I find trying to remember enough of the 4E rules to run a game hard enough, I'm not sure I could handle something based around augments 3.5 ruleset.

Setre

Never played a PnP game before but I’ve been thinking about it, a lot, recently. In fact I just bought the D&D Player’s Guide, Pathfinder Core Rulebook, and the Pathfinder Beginner Box. Figure I’ll flip through the books, play through the solo campaign in the Beginner Box and go from there.

I’ve actually done some research and know there’s a game store near me that holds some type of PnP game on a weekly basis. Figure if the books interest me enough I’ll head down there and tell them I’m a complete noob and hope they’re gentle. Figure on the day they do D&D Encounters would be the best time to go in, since Encounters is basically to teach people how to play.

dude

dude
Personally, I find trying to remember enough of the 4E rules to run a game hard enough, I'm not sure I could handle something based around augments 3.5 ruleset.

That's D&D failings - I literally don't know anyone who remembers all of the D&D rules, let alone anyone that play by them. It's amazing how needlessly complicated that game has become.

Just GM'd our very first Pathfinder Beginner Box game with 4 friends and it was a blast. The information was well-organized, especially the character sheets. My friends say they didn't feel that Pathfinder was that much different from the D&D Beginner Red Box, but as the one GM-ing, juggling information and coming up with game decisions on the fly in Pathfinder flowed better as it was better organized.

What I did like in the D&D Beginner red box was the use of cards during play. It was a better player interface
for my friends. Our group was coming from games like Settlers of Catan and Power Grid and these 2 beginner sessions
were their introduction to PnP RPGs.

Call of Cthulu is an old but good one. The rules are a lot of more flexible since combat is not as common and its more exploration and imaginative.

dude

dude
Godammit, one of my players had to drop out of our group because of school and work...

Well, guess I'll start looking for a replacement!

Top Bottom