• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Nah. I have short little legs so they look really awkward on me.

Also, not toned at all yet haha. Both factors = nope!

Have you tried skorts? Since I think they're more associated with athletes (like tennis players) who usually don't have those long flowing legs maybe you can get away with that look...I mean it has a *flowy* aspect to them like a skirt but the sportiness would be more forgiving to short legs.

You can have my accent If you like :p every time I open my mouth it sounds like someone stood on a cat.

Oh c'mon, I'd want you to narrate my life for pete's sake you have a great accent.

suzu

Haha well, pants are kind of the same. I need short people pants haha. Which there aren't too many of, that I've seen, so I get normal pants and they drag and the cuffs die almost immediately haha.

Women's clothes in general suck. Haha.

But yeah...maybe skirts someday, but my thighs are too jiggly right now haha. I also just look awkward in general. But I think I always look awkward so...Oop.

I'm also short. Luckily, I can just ask my mom to do alterations on my pants.

Oh I worry about my thighs too, but you could try skirts with opaque black tights. They look pretty slimming and good on nearly everybody, imo. :)

Leeness

Have you tried skorts? Since I think they're more associated with athletes (like tennis players) who usually don't have those long flowing legs maybe you can get away with that look...I mean it has a *flowy* aspect to them like a skirt but the sportiness would be more forgiving to short legs.

They look pretty goofy on me, haha.

How are you doing, Kitsune?

They look pretty goofy on me, haha.

How are you doing, Kitsune?

Pretty good! I honestly forgot about this thread when I I took my hiatus from gaf, but I love my fellow girls too much to stay away.

Personally I love skorts. All the appearance of femininity with none of the constraints. I love culottes as well.

Leeness

Pretty good! I honestly forgot about this thread when I I took my hiatus from gaf, but I love my fellow girls too much to stay away.

Personally I love skorts. All the appearance of femininity with none of the constraints. I love culottes as well.

:) Welcome back then!

Haha, anything with short legs looks goofy on me. They make me look like I'm walking along on hams haha.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
leeness, have you tried changing up your shoes to make your legs appear longer? i'm short (5'3") and have really short legs too, and if i wear a skirt with flats it looks really terrible. but if i throw on some heels (even a small heel like a kitten heel works wonders) the difference is really noticeable. nude heels in particular do a lot to give the illusion of really long legs (or if you don't like the bare look, you could do black stockings with black shoes). knee high boots with a shorter skirt can also help "camoflauge" the length of your legs and make them look like one long line.

Kisaya

leeness, have you tried changing up your shoes to make your legs appear longer? i'm short (5'3") and have really short legs too, and if i wear a skirt with flats it looks really terrible. but if i throw on some heels (even a small heel like a kitten heel works wonders) the difference is really noticeable. nude heels in particular do a lot to give the illusion of really long legs (or if you don't like the bare look, you could do black stockings with black shoes). knee high boots with a shorter skirt can also help "camoflauge" the length of your legs and make them look like one long line.

Thinking about doing this. Need to go out on a shopping spree and buy a ton of new shoes, especially heels.

Mumei

Seriously recommending this article:

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2012/06/20/feminism-housewifery/

Which makes scores of good points about the "housewife" issue.

It does!

And on the subject of gender roles, I know I have been bugging you to read this, but for everyone else:

861822.jpg

It has just about everything - the biological arguments (and its problems); anthropological evidence from around the world of different gender regimes; psychological perspectives (and its problems); a sociological perspective (and why it is the best approach for understand how gender difference is created and how this is used to justify gender inequality); ways in which gendered institutions (family, classroom, workplace) work to recreate gender differences and inequality that benefits men over women; and also ways in which gendered interactions (friendship and love, sexualities, and violence) work together to do the same thing as institutions.

I wouldn't say any single element is super in-depth; it is more of an overview. But I saw that he also has another book called The Gendered Society Reader, which seems like it should be a good accompaniment to this one.

And on the subject of housewives in particular, housework, who does what things, and the relative share is one of the most important parts of the chapter on the family - arguably the central thing.

Ashes

Banned
It does!

And on the subject of gender roles, I know I have been bugging you to read this, but for everyone else:

861822.jpg

It has just about everything - the biological arguments (and its problems); anthropological evidence from around the world of different gender regimes; psychological perspectives (and its problems); a sociological perspective (and why it is the best approach for understand how gender difference is created and how this is used to justify gender inequality); ways in which gendered institutions (family, classroom, workplace) work to recreate gender differences and inequality that benefits men over women; and also ways in which gendered interactions (friendship and love, sexualities, and violence) work together to do the same thing as institutions.

I wouldn't say any single element is super in-depth; it is more of an overview. But I saw that he also has another book called The Gendered Society Reader, which seems like it should be a good accompaniment to this one.

And on the subject of housewives in particular, housework, who does what things, and the relative share is one of the most important parts of the chapter on the family - arguably the central thing.

A while ago, when I was writing a story from the female perspective, I think I touched on research that covered a lot of those grounds. It's nice to have all that in one book, even if it is summary.

Remind me if you can, how the division of labour was split over political outlooks. I know women, in Britain at least, did most of the housework.

Mumei

A while ago, when I was writing a story from the female perspective, I think I touched on research that covered a lot of those grounds. It's nice to have all that in one book, even if it is summary.

Remind me if you can, how the division of labour was split over political outlooks. I know women, in Britain at least, did most of the housework.

It is the same in the United States. Women do the most housework, and it tends to be exaggerated in households where the husband has "traditional" views of mens' and womens' spheres. Both women and men tended to overreport how much housework they were doing, but men tended to overreport far more; women overreport by 68 percent and men overreport by 150 percent. Though husbands with more egalitarian attitudes tended to overreport more than husbands with more traditional attitudes; the author speculates that this is due to husbands reporting what they feel they should be doing instead of an accurate accounting of what they are doing.

It's a particularly interesting chapter that brings to mind that old phrase - the personal is political. And while that Google books preview is missing a huge chunk of that chapter, unfortunately (113 - 140), it at least has the beginning to get the gist of it.

When men and women fully share housework and the raising of children, gender inequality in the family will gradually decrease, and the gender stereotypes and gender differences that were presumed to be the source of that inequality will also begin to dissolve. After all, as we learn from anthropologists, those societies which men take a larger role in child care are those in which women's status tends to be highest. Plus, a society in which women and men also share parenting will be a society in which they are also equally active in the labor force. A change in the private sphere will bring about dramatic changes in the public sphere.​

Leeness

Ugh, you guys...why do men suck so, so much? I'm just done with them :(

Anyone want to virtually eat ice cream with me? Lol.

Leeness

What happened?

Was talking with a guy at a friends party for a while and thought we had a good rapport. So I asked if he'd be interested in hanging out sometime and...he laughed in my face and got up and left.

Haha. That's four for four now that either laugh at me or run as fast as they can. Super.

So I'm gonna eat ice cream. With Billie! <3

Was talking with a guy at a friends party for a while and thought we had a good rapport. So I asked if he'd be interested in hanging out sometime and...he laughed in my face and got up and left.

Haha. That's four for four now that either laugh at me or run as fast as they can. Super.

What the hell, what kind of clowns do you talk to?

CG6vS.gif

What in the fuck? How awful.

Make sure the ice cream is rocky road.

Leeness

They seem like nice people when we're just casually talking. Then the moment I show any interest... Oop. Haha.

I'm just done with it. I thought I'd give it a shot tonight cause we were talking well together but...nope.

Anyway, just wanted to lament about guys being horrible :(

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Leeness, I don't think these are normal nice guys. No one who is decent would do something quite so douchey. If he ran off like that, you lucked out. You just have to keep trying.

Ashes

Banned
They seem like nice people when we're just casually talking. Then the moment I show any interest... Oop. Haha.

I'm just done with it. I thought I'd give it a shot tonight cause we were talking well together but...nope.

Welcome to a guy's world.

edit: Cheers Mumei for the above.

Log4Girlz

Sent you a PM.

Ashes: huh?
Leeness, I don't think these are normal nice guys. No one who is decent would do something quite so douchey. If he ran off like that, you lucked out. You just have to keep trying.
This so much. Why would you go out with an ass who laughed at you for basically just complimenting them?

Ashes

Banned
Ashes: huh?

This so much. Why would you go out with an ass who laughed at you for basically just complimenting them?

As in guys get rejected all the time. Sometimes horribly so. If one stops to think about it. Shit sucks. You get used to it, you move on.

If it's any consolation, in my experience, the girls that get rejected are usually pretty.
Note this is purely my own subjective experience with no statistical research whatever. I don't have an explanation, it's just something I noticed once. Or twice.

FyreWulff

People that act like that towards other people aren't worth it. They're usually narcissistic or have control issues.

edit: thanks Google for helping me remember how to spell narcissistic

Emitan

*hugs Leeness and feeds her more ice cream*

That's not right! You're an attractive girl and anyone worth your time would never treat you like that. Forget about them! They aren't worth it!

If I thought about every person who's insulted me or hurt my feelings I'd never get anything done! You're gonna keep trying until you find the right guy, hear me?

Mumei

As in guys get rejected all the time. Sometimes horribly so. If one stops to think about it. Shit sucks. You get used to it, you move on.

If it's any consolation, in my experience, the girls that get rejected are usually pretty.
Note this is purely my own subjective experience with no statistical research whatever. I don't have an explanation, it's just something I noticed once. Or twice.

That's lovely and all, but I don't think, "Shit sucks, get used to it" was what she was coming to hear. She's an adult; I'm sure she is well aware that people get rejected and that life isn't always perfect.

And cheers. I hope you enjoy the book, if you ever decide to read it.

Ashes

Banned
That's lovely and all, but I don't think, "Shit sucks, get used to it" was what she was coming to hear. She's an adult; I'm sure she is well aware that people get rejected and that life isn't always perfect.

And cheers. I hope you enjoy the book, if you ever decide to read it.

Oh I didn't mean to advise her. Apologies, if it came across that way. it was more an expansion on the comment I made about it being like a guy's experience. A guy would then be expected to suck it up.

Re-reading what I wrote, I guess in the overall context, the fairest assumption, is that I was being a dick, which ironically proves her right.

On a separate note, I've added that book to my list. I'm kinda busy trying to read 50 books. :/ way behind at the halfway point.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Ugh, what a dickbag! I agree with Lissar and Shan, you don't want to be dating guys like that, don't give up though not all guys are major arseholes.

Mumei

It is a good thing that this behavior goes away as childhood progresses and by adulthood it has disappeared almost entirely:

Simple enumeration of equality may not be the answer. One teacher told journalist Peggy Orenstein that after learning that teachers paid more attention to boys than to girls, she explained to the class that henceforth she was going to call on both sexes exactly equally, and to make sure she did, she would hold the attendance roster in her hand. What happened next surprised her. "After two days, the boys blew up," she told Orenstein. "They started complaining and saying that I was calling on the girls more than them. I showed them it wasn't true and they had to back down. I kept on doing it, but for the boys, equality was hard to get used to; they perceived it as a big loss.

(Of course, equality is virtually always seen as a loss by the privileged group. If a teacher gives exactly equal time to heterosexuality and homosexuality, to people of color as to white people, to women and to men, he or she is invariably going to be criticized as being biased in favor of the minority group. When one is used to being the center of attention all the time, being out of the limelight for a moment or even an hour can feel like complete rejection.​

Thank you for posting this! I already regularly visit sites like Corporette but I've definitely found some new places to visit from that list.

Of course!

Leeness

Maybe I just have to stop being so picky. If a 50 year old man asks me out, I should just go with it :(

And see, these guys are all fine. Like, this guy was a friend of one of my best friends and she said he was great. And he was...until I suggested hanging out another time. Then I was a big joke. I guess I just bring it out in them. :/ second time I've been laughed at. Oh well...

But yeah, done with people other than friends and Internet lol.

How's the weather doing for you all? It's finally nice here so I think I'm gonna go for a walk with some calming music :)

Samara

Maybe I just have to stop being so picky. If a 50 year old man asks me out, I should just go with it :(

How's the weather doing for you all? It's finally nice here so I think I'm gonna go for a walk with some calming music :)

What?! No way! well unless he rolls up in a bentley. lmao

The weather is pretty nice here. Just waiting for my mother so we can go for a walk. She's watching "Young and the Restless". I do not comprehend this show. It is the definition of inbreeding. I've had to watch this show since I was little, and the absurdity of the storyline gets me sometimes.

And see, these guys are all fine. Like, this guy was a friend of one of my best friends and she said he was great. And he was...until I suggested hanging out another time. Then I was a big joke. I guess I just bring it out in them. :/ second time I've been laughed at. Oh well...

What's the age range/location/mentality of the guys you're asking? It sounds like you keep asking insensitive dudebros.

Leeness

What's the age range/location/mentality of the guys you're asking? It sounds like you keep asking insensitive dudebros.

I think he was more nerdy than me lol. I think I just inspire it in people :(

Samara, Young and the Restless lol. Excellent. They're all hilarious.

Log4Girlz

Oh god, don't be like my second ex....she settled for some OLD man...and is preggers now :(

Emitan

Leeness you need to move. There is obviously some sort of hypnotic brain wave being broadcasted where you live

Do you have an evil genius arch enemy?

The weather is pretty nice here. Just waiting for my mother so we can go for a walk. She's watching "Young and the Restless". I do not comprehend this show. It is the definition of inbreeding. I've had to watch this show since I was little, and the absurdity of the storyline gets me sometimes.

Young and the Restless took over? Times sure have changed since All My Children went under.

I don't understand this...it's like you're living in the magical land of Douchbaggia where you'll soon fall victim to the prom king that's trying to make you prom queen on a bet...maybe you just need to take off your glasses and ponytail?

Like ashes said, guys get laughed at all the time. I've been laughed at to my face, and I've had girl friends laugh about guys behind their backs after the fact when they talk about the guys that approach them. I hope that doesn't discourage you at all though, there are guys here practically proposing to you, and though it's a bit creepy I think you can at least take it as a confidence builder.

As for the weather, Los Angeles is in the low 80s, clear sky, and beautiful as always. Looking forward to warm summer nights, sunsets, beach bonfires...but not looking forward to 100+ degree August's :\

Top Bottom