• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

There is no hair type that can't be styled. It's just a question of how much work you're willing to put into it. For instance, I wake up every morning looking like Cosmo Kramer with my coarse wavy hair reaching for the sky but with some straightening I get it looking like this.

tumblr_m9m1xrIGJp1rdkypqo1_500.jpg

So, guys, I have a slight problem. Kind of. I need your help.

I have quite a big forhead, and flat haircuts really doesn't suit me. I used to go more Tyler Durden-style, but after growing a bit older it's more Gosling, or Chris Evans in Avengers style.
Buuuuuuuut, my hair is starting to thin a bit RIGHT at the front, at the top of my forhead. It's not much, but to me it's very noticable (of course). This makes it harder to make the hair look nice as it "stands up".

What should I do? :(

I also have quite a thin face, so not every haircut suits me. And shaving it down again, well, it's too boring. I love fixing my hair damnit. HALP!

You could try using toppik on this slightly thin area to make it less noticeable.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I wake up every morning looking Kosmo Kramer with my coarse wavy hair reaching for the sky but with some straightening I get it looking like this.

I'm glad you said this. We're definitely past the point where the assumption was if a guy straightened his hair that he might as well be hanging out in Hot Topic before the Silverstein concert. You can get some pretty stylish results with a little flat ironing and a blow dryer.

What the hell can anybody suggest for asian hair? The type that just sticks out EVERYWHERE. I look like I stopped ageing when I was 8. ATM I just buzz the sides and style the top, it's neat and nice, but I want more hair without it being out of control.

Has nobody conquered it? The use of straighteners is disqualified btw.

So here's my hair, natural state (washed it two days ago) - picture is flipped though, my cowlick goes towards my right, dumb facetime camera... :

F7703D55-6EEF-4E7C-A702-8F583FB854C5-3398-00000298CA210B43.jpg

Top was razored, sides and back clippered. When actually spiking it, I've used a bit of either Gatsby's wild shake (the purple one) or Spice Sister's Freeze Wax. For actually combing it, usually American Crew Fiber is my go-to.

I like this.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Pulled the trigger on some Suavecito original hold. I will update the review in the op when it arrives, since my experience with the line was with more of a gel like product.

No I was very still... Just wondering. I will probably not use a random place next time.

That said the whole experience was amazing. Warm towel etc

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
No I was very still... Just wondering. I will probably not use a random place next time.

That said the whole experience was amazing. Warm towel etc

Well, glad you enjoyed it, just be careful with that. There is a reason only barbers are legally supposed to use straight razors in the workplace. I have heard some nasty stories about people needing stitches after accidents, even at the place I go to currently.

Do you live in the LA area?

Minamu

There is no hair type that can't be styled. It's just a question of how much work you're willing to put into it. For instance, I wake up every morning looking like Cosmo Kramer with my coarse wavy hair reaching for the sky but with some straightening I get it looking like this.
I remember your hair looking cool, post some more pictures of it :)

I remember your hair looking cool, post some more pictures of it :)

Here's a pic I had on my computer from back when I had gotten it cut. I might take a new one later.

All I do is straighten it then apply a bit of volumizing mousse and maybe styling clay if necessary. The key is to put in just a small amount so it looks like you've got nothing in at all. I've never been a fan of having a ton of product in where your hair looks like this.

Well, glad you enjoyed it, just be careful with that. There is a reason only barbers are legally supposed to use straight razors in the workplace. I have heard some nasty stories about people needing stitches after accidents, even at the place I go to currently.

Do you live in the LA area?
Hah, no, this was in a small Washington suburb. Oh well, it will heal.

The haircut looks nice tho IMO. A little smooshed from last night heh

Minamu

Here's a pic I had on my computer from back when I had gotten it cut. I might take a new one later.

All I do is straighten it then apply a bit of volumizing mousse and maybe styling clay if necessary. The key is to put in just a small amount so it looks like you've got nothing in at all. I've never been a fan of having a ton of product in where your hair looks like this.
Your hair looks great. Seems like you know what you're doing too. I'm a complete amateur to this :(

Yeah that much doesn't look any good, at least not in that picture. It looks like that pompadour picture that someone put up of David Beckham and that looked nice though.

I have so many whirls in my hair that I don't know what to do with them. I'm especially struggling with the back of my head. Getting it all to look nice from the front is easy but it kinda falls flat halfway back and styling the neck area is hard without any eyes back there :)

My hair style is very similar to that Gyllenhaal pic earlier in the thread. I've gone through several brands of waxes and this is by far my favorite:

x9S8I.jpg

It does a really good job at highlighting the layers in your hair.

I've heard good things about the Hanz De Fuko line of products. Pretty much the same things Crew makes but even better. I'm gonna switch over to their shampoo and conditioner soon.

tumblr_m4j88thUUG1ruyjcuo2_1280.jpg

Vega

I know Axe products usually get shitted on (and rightfully so) but their Pomades work nice with my hair. I typically go for the messy/ straight outta bed look. Nice hold without a crunchy, wet texture.

41C2Cak3oYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ok guys, I'm coming to you with this. I'm growing my hair out a bit and want to achieve a David Tennant Doctor Who style look.

I tried Got2b Glued, but that's a bit too much hold for me. I'm guessing a need a wax or gum paste. What suggestions do you have for me?

Thick, wavy hair sucks, I can work some short to mid length styles, but once it reaches a certain length it becomes a mop, so I keep it buzzed, though being a Hispanic dude it makes me look like a cholo.

Same here. I got sick of having that type of cut and decided to let my hair grow, but now it looks like a mess and I don't know what to do with it. However, its getting to the point where I'm just going to say fuck it and get it chopped off. Need some hairspiration.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Ok guys, I'm coming to you with this. I'm growing my hair out a bit and want to achieve a David Tennant Doctor Who style look.

I tried Got2b Glued, but that's a bit too much hold for me. I'm guessing a need a wax or gum paste. What suggestions do you have for me?

I would use mousse.

bob page

KMc3z.jpg

This is my hair on a normal basis. I use whatever cheap matte clay I run across. My technique involves showering then scrubbing my head with the towel. This basically gets the texture that I like then I just get a few finger tips of the clay and style as I see fit. It takes like 10 seconds.

I do however sort of hate my hair because it gets really poofy if I don't put stuff in it.

Get rid of your product and grab some pomade unless you want to look like a 90's guido. Maybe get it a bit shorter on the sides and you'll be good to go. Also, you might want to ditch those sunglasses and get something more modern.

Right now, I alternate between AC Pomade and Gatsby Moving Rubber. I have really thick hair that grows so fast so the pomade is only worthwile when my hair is really short. Otherwise, the Moving Rubber and AC Fiber work much better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2ACH8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

24174.jpg

This is what I've been going for but my hair is too unyielding to make it happen. Sad.

ryan-gosling.jpg

MegalonJJ

Banned
This is definitely not a faux hawk. I actually don't know what this is. Its like an undercut pompadour.

jm1gjoSM6eJwG.jpg

According to a stylist I know here in London, who has clients such as footballers and actors, this is known as the "Essex Sweep". (Influenced or perhaps rather popularized by the Towies. (Reality stars from a program called "The only way is Essex")).

Lamel

Banned
Yeah sorry about the pics guys, I really don't have many options -_-. But thanks, I was pretty happy with it.

I am thinking about getting some pomade, however I really don't want my hair to look too greasy. Some shine is fine, but I have seen pomade make hair look so shiny and wet. Will perhaps applying only a little still make it hold and shiny, but not like I put a can of grease in my hair?

I really do need some hold because in the pics above it is wet, but the hair will settle down as it dries sadly.

Anyone know some good hair products for long mens hair. Something that gives good texture and volume.

Yeah sorry about the pics guys, I really don't have many options -_-. But thanks, I was pretty happy with it.

I am thinking about getting some pomade, however I really don't want my hair to look too greasy. Some shine is fine, but I have seen pomade make hair look so shiny and wet. Will perhaps applying only a little still make it hold and shiny, but not like I put a can of grease in my hair?

I really do need some hold because in the pics above it is wet, but the hair will settle down as it dries sadly.

If you get the right pomade and put in just a bit then you could avoid shine. Otherwise stick to a forming cream or styling clay.

LJ11

I'm a convert to barbers. Go in every couple of months and get it buzzed down to this. Will consider keeping this as the general cut when grey starts to really take over.

Have stopped using product - hair sticks up without it, anyway. Possibly as a legacy of a decade of wax abuse.

Did you ever have long hair? Hair was like that for a while after I cut it but it eventually worked itself out.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Now which would be the right kind?

Well, you said that you don't want a lot of shine, but while putting in less pomade can achieve that, you might sacrifice hold. It all depends on your definition of "shine". In that, a penny sized amount of Royal Crown will make my hair look shiny as fuck, whereas something like suavecito or even Deluxe is a bit more moderate.

For what you are describing, I think you should try Murrays. I have to edit the OP because I found out it is actually oil based, not alcohol based. It has a hell of a hold.

Lamel

Banned
Well, you said that you don't want a lot of shine, but while putting in less pomade can achieve that, you might sacrifice hold. It all depends on your definition of "shine". In that, a penny sized amount of Royal Crown will make my hair look shiny as fuck, whereas something like suavecito or even Deluxe is a bit more moderate.

For what you are describing, I think you should try Murrays. I have to edit the OP because I found out it is actually oil based, not alcohol based. It has a hell of a hold.

Alright, I will look into it. Thanks.

Top Bottom