• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Songbird

Prodigal Son
there's a great Lovecraft horrorgoth bar http://thelovecraftbar.com/ on the East, just south of Burnside

List some vegan stuff, too. I feel like this is the vegan capital of America.

Sweetpea, Herbivore, Scapegoat Tattoo, and Food Fight grocery all in one little mini mall.

Portobello, Natural Selection, Blossoming Lotus, and a few others for fancy vegan meals.

Bye & Bye and Sweet Hereafter are vegan bars.

Pretty much every good restaurant that isn't a dumb foodie tourist thing has vegan stuff on the menu. Vita Cafe, Jam, Sizzle Pie, Dot's, Los Gorditos, Vegetarian House (all vegan Chinese buffet!), DC Vegetarian, etc.

Sounds wonderful. Barring vegetarian restaurants it's hard to find that stuff here.

East Burn on 18th and E Burnside. Has a great Tuesday special, $2 pints for any of the 10+ beers they have on tap that constantly rotates (and it isn't shit like Pabsts, but actually great locally-ish brewed beer).

I used to go there every week after work on Tuesday and drink until 10 and my bar tab would be $18 (that is 9 beers!).

eastburnswingchairs4356345634_1.jpg

haha yes I need to go there

Lissar

Reluctant Member
More Portland folks here than I suspected.... though I am a Eugenian myself. Being Portland's little brother of sorts, we should talk about that, too.

I would totally go and find pictures of the country fair, but I think posting them would be against the TOS. :eek:

Also, any Eugenians been to Shoryuken League? I'm curious and somewhat horrified all at once. Maybe we should arrange a GAF MEET so I don't have to indulge my curiosity all alone.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Bicycling

889TE.jpg

Portland, OR might be one of the friendliest/convenient bicycling communities in the country outside of a few others. There are a plethora of bike paths for the road/mountain biking communities, not too mention a bunch of bike parking (see the bike corral image above). Sure the weather is not always the driest but that doesn't stop most people from getting on their bike and riding for pleasure/commute/exercise. Below find a map of the best routes to take while on your bicycle here.

Quoted for size said:

Public Transportation

MbYbF.jpg

Trimet as well as the Portland Street Car offers you easy ways to get around the city either by Max train, Streetcar, or bus. And what is also great, is each of these options allow you to put your bike on in one way or another in case you are too tired (or in most cases drunk).

Max Line Map (Quoted for size) said:
Streetcar Map (Quoted for size) said:

Man, I remember I was in Portland for a couple of days with my buddies this summer and this one creepy guy on the street invited us to go to Ron Jeremy's Club Sesso with him and even offered to pay cover for us. We turned him down( although one of my buds really wanted to go) because the dude seemed really sketchy. Anybody know more about this place? As far as I know it's a sex club.

Man, I remember I was in Portland for a couple of days with my buddies this summer and this one creepy guy on the street invited us to go to Ron Jeremy's Club Sesso with him and even offered to pay cover for us. We turned him down( although one of my buds really wanted to go) because the dude seemed really sketchy. Anybody know more about this place? As far as I know it's a sex club.
Pretty much. It's a members-only thing, but they have some nights where anyone can get in and fuck around. It's gross.

Yay OT!

Edit: OK, I thought of a couple things you could add!

McMenamins: Various restaurants around the city, including breweries, beer theaters, music venues, hotels and more. My favorites are Mission Theater, St. Johns Pub, the Kennedy School and Cornelius Pass Roadhouse :)

There are a lot of lovely little trails up around the Oregon Zoo, in Washington Park. Also, never underestimate and awesome walk in the West Hills <3 I used to do that a lot when I lived on campus (PSU).

Belfast

I would totally go and find pictures of the country fair, but I think posting them would be against the TOS. :eek:

Also, any Eugenians been to Shoryuken League? I'm curious and somewhat horrified all at once. Maybe we should arrange a GAF MEET so I don't have to indulge my curiosity all alone.

Haven't bothered going myself. I'm actually not a huge social gamer and I've got friends and a copy of Smash Bros. at home if I need that fix. They seem to have a small crowd there every time I walk past, though. $5 cover to play whatever they have up at the moment for free is kind of neat, though.

Level Up is kind of a downer, too. It's like a bar... with video games, instead of a bar themed around video games (Ground Kontrol handles this much better) and I wish they had more recent stuff (by recent, I mean from the 90s on). Honestly, the classic stuff is pretty boring after a few plays and the usage of space in there is horrible.

Never been to Blair Alley, but that understandably caters more to the Whit crowd.

zerotol

Banned
There were some great record stores on Hawthorne back in the 90's. I wish I could remember the names of them. They probably don't exist anymore.

xbhaskarx

List some vegan stuff, too. I feel like this is the vegan capital of America.

There is tons of vegan food in Portland, but as someone who has been vegan for a long time and spent time in the SF bay area, LA, San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, Philly, NYC, and Boston since becoming vegan, I can assure you that the vegan capital of America is New York City. The first time I went to NYC, I asked my vegan friend for restaurant recommendations and he sent me a list of 25-30 places. A few years later when I went back, he added a dozen more. In fact, having also been to Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, London, New Delhi, Tokyo, and Kyoto, I'm guessing it's probably the vegan capital of the world. Sorry Portland, you may be alternative and hipster but you're just not big enough to compete with NYC.

some more food:

mexican - nuestra cocina
thai - pad thai kitchen or thai chili jam
pizza - ken's, firehouse, or apizza scholls
bakery - ken's
sushi - mio
24 hour breakfast - hotcake house on powell
late night soul food - montage

bars/nightlife:

horse brass pub
doug fir lounge
conga club
kennedy school
baghdad theatre
jimmy maks
life of reilly
produce row cafe
henry's tavern
the matador
thirsty lion
branch whiskey bar

breweries:

columbia river brewing
rogue
deschutes
bridgeport
hopworks
hair of the dog
breakside
laurelwood

It's more economical and gaming-oriented than level up, $5 cover for unlimited play. Small beer selection, food didn't look great, and the tall skinny bartender was a dick to me, but overall its nice.

storafötter;42913531 said:
Are there any special yearly festivals or activities in Portland? Would be nice to attend something while spending time there.
Is zoo-bombing still happening? I'd say it is more about what you like. There are all sorts of annual events; beer, music, history, crazy forest gatherings, beer, sports, seasonal nature events, ... you name it, beer[?], there is a lot to do.

There were some great record stores on Hawthorne back in the 90's. I wish I could remember the names of them. They probably don't exist anymore.
There is, or will be a book about it (my guess)....
there is this blog,
and not focused on Portland -but you can get it at Powell's Books:
In this era of digital downloads, the small, indie record shop might sound like an anachronism. But, in fact, record stores served as community centers, information exchanges, clubs, art galleries, and launching pads for numerous bands and record labels. Record Store Days takes a long, loving look back at the retail refuges that enthralled at least three generations of music lovers, providing a glimpse into the special alchemy that makes a great record store. Written and compiled by two record store veterans, this lively and nostalgic anthology includes photographs and reminiscences from musicians, music industry executives, former record store clerks, and, of course, avid fans..
margin_41years.gif

mkenyon

Banned
Wife and I are headed down today to go to Saturday Market and Deschutes Pub or Fire on the Mountain.

We're in Oly, but from the PDX area. Despite being closer to Seattle, still prefer to go to PDX anytime and always. PDX is what the Northwest is. Too many Californians moved into Seattle and fucked it up. *fist shake*

Portland looks/sounds pretty cool. It's in the running for a far future place to live, so thanks for collecting all the intel into one place, Dev. And when the heck did you move? Do you go to school there now or something?

Question, though: How's the weather? I really miss seasons/storms. Dare I hope Portland gets a piece of those?

Riggs

Banned
Just came to say this is a really nice OT Devo, must be the colors that I like. Always have wanted to visit Oregon.

Now if we can just get the Florida OT unlocked all will be well in the world!!!

Portland looks/sounds pretty cool. It's in the running for a far future place to live, so thanks for collecting all the intel into one place, Dev. And when the heck did you move? Do you go to school there now or something?

Question, though: How's the weather? I really miss seasons/storms. Dare I hope Portland gets a piece of those?

Doing the rest of my degree online. Moved in May. It hasn't gotten stormy yet. It was wet when I first got here but the Summer has been hot and dry.

Also still updating the OP with all of the stuff people have posted so far.

Went out last night at got some Korean Fusion kalbi burritos. Holy fuck. It was just too good.

Necrovex

Portland and Seattle are two cities where I wouldn't mind living in the near-future. I'll probably shoot an application over to Portland for the PD there when I am in Seattle attempting to get into its PD.

Seattle would be my first choice, but Portland would be my second choice.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Oregon weather, in the valley at least, is pretty mild over all. But we do have seasons. Summer is typically warm and dry (although this year was dryer than normal, we haven't seen any rain yet and it's already into October. Usually it's pouring by now.) Fall is wet and the turning leaves are beautiful. Winter is ALSO wet but usually not too cold and we get at least some snow during the year (but usually only a few days to a week on average.) Spring is, you guessed it, wet. But everything is blooming. Weather can also change at the drop of a hat, so it can been in the 50s one day and in the 80s the next. It can be rainy and sunny several times on the same day. Oregon weather is known for being a bit manic.

Devo, I'll get that Eugene info to you today. If any other Eugenians want to PM me with suggestions on what to add for Eugene, please do! I can't know all the areas.

So you're telling me I should move there.

How are the people? Friendly? I've heard things about northwesterners...

That we are friendly, special, sparkling snowflakes? It's all true.

Is this the place with the highest concentration of hipsters in the USA? Williamsburg?

As a non-American, I need to know. I WANNA SEE THE RECEIPTS!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
some more food:

mexican - nuestra cocina
thai - pad thai kitchen or thai chili jam
pizza - ken's, firehouse, or apizza scholls
bakery - ken's
sushi - mio
24 hour breakfast - hotcake house on powell
late night soul food - montage

bars/nightlife:

horse brass pub
doug fir lounge
conga club
kennedy school
baghdad theatre
jimmy maks
life of reilly
produce row cafe
henry's tavern
the matador
thirsty lion
branch whiskey bar

breweries:

columbia river brewing
rogue
deschutes
bridgeport
hopworks
hair of the dog
breakside
laurelwood
Firehouse is amazing.

For sushi: Samurai Blue

Doing the rest of my degree online. Moved in May. It hasn't gotten stormy yet. It was wet when I first got here but the Summer has been hot and dry.

Also still updating the OP with all of the stuff people have posted so far.

Went out last night at got some Korean Fusion kalbi burritos. Holy fuck. It was just too good.

Oh, cool. Do you prefer it to the Bay Area so far? Both spots seem pretty great. Shame about the mild/wet weather, though. I really miss storms. :(

And, you really need to come to LA if you want to try some amazing Korean kalbi!

Oregon weather, in the valley at least, is pretty mild over all. But we do have seasons. Summer is typically warm and dry (although this year was dryer than normal, we haven't seen any rain yet and it's already into October. Usually it's pouring by now.) Fall is wet and the turning leaves are beautiful. Winter is ALSO wet but usually not too cold and we get at least some snow during the year (but usually only a few days to a week on average.) Spring is, you guessed it, wet. But everything is blooming. Weather can also change at the drop of a hat, so it can been in the 50s one day and in the 80s the next. It can be rainy and sunny several times on the same day. Oregon weather is known for being a bit manic.

Devo, I'll get that Eugene info to you today. If any other Eugenians want to PM me with suggestions on what to add for Eugene, please do! I can't know all the areas.

That we are friendly, special, sparkling snowflakes? It's all true.

Mild? :/ Dammit. It sounds so perfect otherwise. At least you guys have seasons and snow. Nature abounds, though, right?

Oh, cool. Do you prefer it to the Bay Area so far? Both spots seem pretty great. Shame about the mild/wet weather, though. I really miss storms. :(

And, you really need to come to LA if you want to try some amazing Korean kalbi!

There were some thunder and lightning storms for a couple days. Mmmm kalbi. I like both Portland and the Bay Area but being a foodie in Portland is really easy given my location.

Dead Man

Favourite US city. Family living there might have something to do with it though. See you next year, probably Sept/Oct, OregonGAF.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I can't disseminate this from Portland anymore. Anytime I hear someone talk about the city, I hear it...

It also might not help that I'm using it as my ringtone. ^_^

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Mild? :/ Dammit. It sounds so perfect otherwise. At least you guys have seasons and snow. Nature abounds, though, right?

We do have storms. With lightning and thunder and the whole shebang. In fact more then once I couldn't get to school because of trees across the road. D: And power lines going down and all that (but I grew up in the middle of nowhere.) By mild I meant more that it doesn't get AWFULLY hot or AWFULLY cold with any consistency.

I'll be honest I saw more ridiculous hipsterism in SF but then again I went to school there and some of those people were basically fellow students.

Necrovex

We do have storms. With lightning and thunder and the whole shebang. In fact more then once I couldn't get to school because of trees across the road. D: And power lines going down and all that (but I grew up in the middle of nowhere.) By mild I meant more that it doesn't get AWFULLY hot or AWFULLY cold with any consistency.

How's the humidity in Portland? I come from Florida, so I am no stranger to dense humidity. I really want to live in a place where I won't immediately recognize how muggy it feels outside.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
How's the humidity in Portland? I come from Florida, so I am no stranger to dense humidity. I really want to live in a place where I won't immediately recognize how muggy it feels outside.

While there is high humidity at times, it does not feel muggy like you are used to. Actually I spent my entire life in Oregon before living in Japan for several years where the humidity makes life a living hell. Oregon does not have THAT kind of humidity, as I had never even known such a heat existed. If you're looking to get away from mugginess, the PNW is a great place to go.

Belfast

Nature does abound. There are always places to hike/camp/enjoy nature up here and if you're willing to travel a couple hours out of the valley, the number increases tenfold. Oregonians are very protective of their nature (a little too adamant about it on some occasions, in my opinion, but it's overall a worthy cause).

glow

Banned
I haven't been to PDX in years but if you are/were a skater, you need to check out Burnside Skate park.

No one cares about us just give it up.

I love Eugene and all it's hippies and pretty roses. Such a chill town.

Top Bottom