• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Dead Man

Damn it Devo.

Contributing a couple old pics I took of the central coast. Lincoln county-ish.

376972646_b1fccec0cc_z.jpg

376961792_ef3710e94d_z.jpg

Riggs

Banned
RIP Devo we luv ya

Also some of these pics are really amazing, I gotta get up to that part of the country some time.

I wil further concede that Pearl is not going to have the highest concentration of hipsters. I don't know about going on safari to reinforce stereotypes rather than focusing on diversity.

goonies_zpsa5aec82a.png

Damn it Devo.

Contributing a couple old pics I took of the central coast. Lincoln county-ish.

376972646_b1fccec0cc_z.jpg

376961792_ef3710e94d_z.jpg

Those are great! That's the Yaquina Bay Bridge in Newport <3

I have a few pictures too, but they're not really that great.

8061043236_f46b1e6f86.jpg

Park Blocks @ PSU (from inside Smith Center)

8061037042_9a9b79a6ac.jpg

View of Portland from Open Meadow High School in St. Johns. I love this view so much <3 Forest Park is on the right.

8061045305_d0de27abb0.jpg

Big Pink on a pretty day a couple months ago. I think I was standing in line for Voodoo -_-

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Tanuki is the best Japanese/Asian food in the city for cheap, but it's a bar (21+) and they show great movies and have cheap booze.

8029 SE Stark St
Portland, OR 97215

Also, check out the new Ocean complex on 24th and Glisan.

Tacos, Korean Fried Chicken and Meatballs all right next door to each other. Uno Mas is Oswaldo's new place (Mextiza and Autentica).

My favorite nicer dining joints are Laurelhurst Market, Le Pigeon and Toro Bravo.

Get some great guisado's (mexican stew tacos) at Mi Mero Mole from the gringo who brought us Kenny & Zukes.

That's my food tips for the day.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

reilo

Shit, I would take up hiking just for that summit.

I mean I'd be miserable from having just walked two and a half miles, but damn.

The hike up isn't bad at all. The way down is far worse on your knees because of the steep decline.

Here's a pic I took on suicide bridge, HDR and darker than normal so I could get it to print so it looked good

HDRCity4TouchedUp.jpg

I've lived all over Portland. Lake Oswego, Downtown, also went to school at PSU, SE Hawthorne area, Beaverton, and now I'm in Raleigh Hills. I really do like the city but the past few years the weather has gotten to me. I recently got back into MTB so it's a journey for the better trails (which I haven't tried yet). Just did some in town which I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to ride on haha!

For people moving here, depending on your attitude I would say inner SE is great for new people coming into the city. People can be a little hipsterish but I realized 80% of my friends would be considered hipsters but they aren't trying to be, it just kind of ... happened. You can spot the people trying.

I'm older so the crazy bar-scene, waking up at Hoopers and the walk across the Burnside bridge once released through the bum minefield aren't my choices anymore but it sure is a great place to get drunk.

If you don't drink there is still plenty to do just keep an open attitude. Anything goes for the most part.

For places I'd personally avoid, not bad areas really, just not my style: NE, St. Johns, outer SE, and Gresham. There are good parts to all of those areas but I'm not a big fan and my thoughts are more "would I buy a house in those areas?" and the answer is "no".

Sumidor

What is with the weird love for Voodoo Doughnut? Every time I meet someone who is visiting Portland, they say that VD is one of the places they wanna go. The donuts aren't even that good.

Doombear

What is with the weird love for Voodoo Doughnut? Every time I meet someone who is visiting Portland, they say that VD is one of the places they wanna go. The donuts aren't even that good.
OH GOD THANK YOU.

I don't understand it myself. I can see it a few years back when it maybe was more surprising, more unique? But now, I just can't fathom the hype. I definitely think that some of their donuts are meh, some are damn tasty and all of em are just donuts.

I have friends that never fail to take visiting family or friends to two places, almost exclusively. Cannon Beach/Haystack Rock and Voodoo Donuts. The End. I don't know if they even realize what else is here. It gets me strangely upset.

reilo

Everything tastes really great when you are shitfaced at 3am.

Nutter

People need to try Nicholas Deli (Downtown). Some good stuff there. Also if you are a fan of Gyro's; Try Gyro 2 Go in Beaverton!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Always forget how much people fucking suck driving in the rain. Thank god I ride my bike usually.

Doombear

Always forget how much people fucking suck driving in the rain. Thank god I ride my bike usually.

I would almost be more scared on a bike! I am baffled by how much people forget over the summer when it comes to driving in rain. Tri-met drivers at least seem to remember.

xxracerxx

I would almost be more scared on a bike! I am baffled by how much people forget over the summer when it comes to driving in rain. Tri-met drivers at least seem to remember.

People just drive slow as hell and on a bike I can just cruise past. I just hate being in a car usually anytime so I am biased.

Updated the OP. Hope I got everything. Thanks for the additions guys. I hit up Korean Twist/Boolkogi Taco again. Just too damn good.

reilo

If you want Chinese food -- where actual Chinese people eat at, too -- go to Wong's King Seafood on SE Division and 87th.

xxracerxx

If people want an amazing Halloween thing to do this year, visit Milburn's Haunted Manor (note: it is outside Woodburn). My friends and I have been going for a few years and this place is just fantastic. It is $20 for three different haunted sections The Dark, The House, and The Woods. It is run by high school drama kids (fundraiser) who really get into the role and love to just scare the shit out of you. They also have the right idea in only allowing 3 to 4 people go at a time so you are not just backed up against others as you go through. The best ones are the Dark and Woods. The Dark is exactly that, pitch black maze with scarers in there with you. And the Woods is great because
people on zip lines coming from all over
(don't highlight if you plan on going).

LProtag

I can't move here because there's no jobs for teachers and a line of people waiting to take any job that opens up. This is true for any interesting city in the US though.

xxracerxx

I can't move here because there's no jobs for teachers and a line of people waiting to take any job that opens up. This is true for any interesting city in the US though.

My buddy finally got a full time teaching job after looking for almost 2 years. There are positions, but they are low paying and hard to get.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
if theres one reason i miss oregon, its the weather. having fall is kinda nice. the other reason is their dairy products. god, i love it.

Sumidor

Here are some of my favorite restaurants
food carts not included. I'll get into those another time.
I'll add/edit more when I think of them.

Toro Bravo (People seem to like their other restaurant, Tasty N Sons more, but I think Toro Bravo is much better. Chefs tasting menu for $30 a person is amazingly good deal. Go with 7+ people so you can actually make a reservation, otherwise the wait can be insane. For how busy it is, service is really good)
Hokusei (They try some really interesting things, who knew Foie Gras and sushi went so well together? Service is spotty)
Screen Door (Stupid long waits, but if you're willing to sit at the bar, it'll go by much faster. Service from the bartender is always really good. In general I've had good service, but i've also had the worst experience before)
Le Pigeon (Tiny restaurant, but if you're willing to wait, some of the best food in Portland. Try to sit at the "kitchen bar" as you'll get your food straight from the chefs. Also it's always fun to talk to them)
Little Bird Bistro (Le Pigeon's sister restaurant. A lot more laid back atmosphere, and easier to get in. Food is still very good, just a step below Le Pigeon IMO though, but better than most)
Thien Hong/Zien Hong(They're basically the same restaurant. But owned by different people. Salt and Pepper squid is the go to dish at both places)
Du's Grill (Simple teriyaki joint, but damn is it good. Get extra sauce of everything)
Masu (Late night sushi, and a place that people seem to forget exist. Great for a drink or two with some delicious food)
Simpatica Dining Hall (Overlooked brunch spot, they do weekly prix fixe menus for Friday and Saturday nights. Had a Oregon black truffle dinner there a while back, and it was amazing)
Gilt Club (Great food, great drinks, great for dates. Also they serve pretty late most nights. The bartender is a really nice guy and has a damn good memory. I think his name is Collin)
Olympic Provisions (I prefer the NW location, because they're dinner items are more appealing to me, and it's much closer to me)
Higgins (Classic restaurant, with fantastic food. Sitting in the bar/lounge area is a little more my style, as the dining room is very white cloth style. Either way, service on both sides is great)
Country Cat (It's kinda out there in Montavilla area so it's not as popular as it should be, but it's good southern style food. Also their chef is a total badass when it comes to breaking down a whole pig)
Ya Hala (Hands down my favorite Lebanese food in Portland. If you can, get a group of friends/family and do their family tasting menu)
Ringside Steakhouse (Classic steakhouse, usually voted top 5-10 in the US. The westside downtown location is the one to go to. The eastside location.. Not so much.)

reilo

Here are some of my favorite restaurants
food carts not included. I'll get into those another time.
I'll add/edit more when I think of them.

Le Pigeon (Tiny restaurant, but if you're willing to wait, some of the best food in Portland. Try to sit at the "kitchen bar" as you'll get your food straight from the chefs. Also it's always fun to talk to them)

One of the more underrated and unknown spots.

Olympic Provisions (I prefer the NW location, because they're dinner items are more appealing to me, and it's much closer to me)

This place is great but their bread is WAY too hard. I prefer Brass Tacks.

Ringside Steakhouse (Classic steakhouse, usually voted top 5-10 in the US. The westside downtown location is the one to go to. The eastside location.. Not so much.)

El Gaucho is much better, in my opinion.

Cat Party

One of the more underrated and unknown spots.

Sarcasm? Le Pigeon is widely recognized as one of the absolute top Portland restaurants.

Never been there myself. Been to Little Bird though, and loved it. That's about as much of a fine dining experience as I can handle.

Also good to see Screen Door get some love. Incredible place. Tough to get in with a big party though.

Top Bottom