• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France-GAF |OT| Existentialism, cheese, wine and je ne sais quoi

40-year-old(ish) represent!

So yeah, I was in high school with the President. Next (probable) MP in my district too. I'm starting to feel bad.

okdakor

40-year-old(ish) represent!

So yeah, I was in high school with the President. Next (probable) MP in my district too. I'm starting to feel bad.

Small world, my baccalauréat was in 95 too... I wasn't at Providence, but right beside, at Branly in the "cité scolaire".
And Macron is older than me by 1 week.

Alx

Just to be clear, I'm not, I'm northen than that ;)

Though I spend a lot of holidays in the same place as Macron, so that's 62 ;)

Eh, it's all "Langue d'oïl" area in the end. The historical/cultural picard area almost perfectly overlaps the current Hauts de France, we should have kept the original name. :p

frontiere_langue.jpg

Koren

Eh, it's all "Langue d'oïl" area in the end. The historical/cultural picard area almost perfectly overlaps the current Hauts de France, we should have kept the original name. :p
I'm still not in it, so I disagree ;)

(and they could at least write correct names for towns ;) )

Guys and gals, now that it's summer and nice out, should we have a GAF-meet with French GAFers and any foreign GAFers who happen to be in the neighborhood?

Wvrs

I don't suppose anyone here lives in Toulouse and would be willing to meet up next weekend? I've just arrived here today after making a move from the UK, and the initial excitement has kind of given way to blind terror: holy shit, I don't know anyone, the city is huge and unfamiliar, my French skills are enough to get by on but still lacking, and until September I'm just in teacher training so I'm not sure I'll make any friends as I would if I had a job or something.

Basically could do with someone to show me around, be a friendly face and put me at ease a little, because right now I'm kind of in a state of 'what the fuck am I doing'.

Natetan

Hello guys. I just moved to Paris area. Seems this thread isn't too active though.

I'm starting to get into french tc recently. I've been watching Arte for a long time. I just started watching LCI and it seems like a pretty good news channel. In recommendations for french tv/media?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Hello guys. I just moved to Paris area. Seems this thread isn't too active though.

I'm starting to get into french tc recently. I've been watching Arte for a long time. I just started watching LCI and it seems like a pretty good news channel. In recommendations for french tv/media?
Welcome in France and in this thread!

Props to you for chosing to watch Arte, best tv channel. The rest is pretty trash imho. LCI ain't too bad as 24 hours news channel but I prefer France Info. Public radios are pretty good, France Inter is the "generalist" station, FIP is more "cultural" and France Info is the news radio station.

Koren

I concur, you should contact AVF... In Toulouse, there's a wonderful community, and I'm sure you'll be able to find someone there ready to welcome you.

Wvrs

Thanks very much to both of you! I've only just turned 22 and graduated from University, so this is the first time I've really been out in the real world without social infrastructure around me, and as much as I'm happy to be here, it's a huge and scary change for me. I'll certainly look into AVF, seems like what I need.

Alx

Never heard of ground chicken tbh. ^_^
Your best bet would be to go to a butcher and ask him if he would grind some for you, they do it on-demand for beef, but I have no idea for chicken.

Natetan

Never heard of ground chicken tbh. ^_^
Your best bet would be to go to a butcher and ask him if he would grind some for you, they do it on-demand for beef, but I have no idea for chicken.

There's a butcher on the ground floor of my building, won't it be more expensive than if I was just buying ground chicken off the shelf though?

Maiar_m

There's a butcher on the ground floor of my building, won't it be more expensive than if I was just buying ground chicken off the shelf though?

It's not sold on the shelf around here, or I've never seen it. I'll even bet your butcher will be very very surprised (if they don't sell chicken filet, deboned, skinned, there's even a chance they'll refuse). They also might refuse out of salmonella concerns - raw beef can be eaten as-is, not raw chicken, so they may not want to use their blades for the chicken since they might not have a separate set up for beef.

I've only ever seen ground chicken used in US recipes! Do they sell some outside the US even?

Alx

Well if it's the only way to get some, it's the only price you'll ever get. :p
Or else you can buy a meat grinder and make it yourself, it shouldn't be too difficult (but the thing is a pain to clean).

Natetan

It's not sold on the shelf around here, or I've never seen it. I'll even bet your butcher will be very very surprised (if they don't sell chicken filet, deboned, skinned, there's even a chance they'll refuse). They also might refuse out of salmonella concerns - raw beef can be eaten as-is, not raw chicken, so they may not want to use their blades for the chicken since they might not have a separate set up for beef.

I've only ever seen ground chicken used in US recipes! Do they sell some outside the US even?

It's quite common in Japan , and in Quebec apparently

Magni

Any one familiar with Jacques Le Goff's works enough to recommend one in particular. I've been meaning to brush up my knowledge of the Middle Ages and a friend recommended me his work, saying I couldn't go wrong with any... but he's written a ton, so I'd welcome a more specific recommendation :)

Re: ground chicken

Never even thought of the concept of ground chicken until I moved to Japan (though I eat it more in Thai food - gapao! - than I do in Japanese food). It seems obvious that it'd exist in hindsight, but for whatever reason the only ground meat I really though about before was ground beef (I didn't really think of ground pork either for whatever reason). Don't think I've ever seen it in France, so you may be SOL. You can always ask at a boucherie, they might grind some up for you.

Any OrelSan fans here? Never heard of him before, but YouTube randomly threw the Basique music video at me and I've been bumping it all day.

I don't even speak French.

Fox1304

Suicide Social is just pure rage, very cathartic. One of the best french raps of recent years to me.

Absolutely. He got some backlash because it's one of those "in character" songs that launch some hard truths spoken by a character fed up with life and on the brink of suicide. But it's also full of hard-hitting facts and depressing observations of current society. Love it.

Not a proper fan but some of his works are really cool. Suicide Social is just pure rage, very cathartic. One of the best french raps of recent years to me.

Absolutely. He got some backlash because it's one of those "in character" songs that launch some hard truths spoken by a character fed up with life and on the brink of suicide. But it's also full of hard-hitting facts and depressing observations of current society. Love it.

Lyrics are lost on me (will look up a translation later) but liked the beat and loved his delivery and desperation in his voice.

Fox1304

Lyrics are lost on me (will look up a translation later) but liked the beat and loved his delivery and desperation in his voice.

Yep, it's quite different from what he usually sings, voice-wise. He's really singing this one as a man fed up with everything and on the brink of self-destruction.

Top Bottom