• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France-GAF |OT| Existentialism, cheese, wine and je ne sais quoi

Ok you got me at Max Pecas

Pour que ces monuments du cinéma français ne tombent jamais dans l'oubli :

Je suis frigide... pourquoi ?
Embraye bidasse, ça fume
Marche pas sur mes lacets
Deux enfoirés à Saint-Tropez
Mieux vaut être riche et bien portant que fauché et mal foutu
Mon curé chez les bidasses

Pacbois

Ok you got me at Max Pecas

And don't forget this true modern classic.

baltringue_affiche-1671095874.jpg

Alx

Recommended French music by genre (suggestions needed):

Pop: Anggun, Mylène Farmer, Vanessa Paradis, Nolwenn Leroy, Alain Souchon, Laurent Voulzy, Najoua Belyzel, Alizée, Michel Polnareff, Pascal Obispo, Philippe Katerine

I'll take this opportunity to make a suggestion and a rant at the same time.
The suggestion is Jean-Jacques Goldman ; although he has a "weird" voice and a very recognizable and simple style, he's an artist I've been listening to since my teens, with great enjoyment.

The rant is against that terrible "Génération Goldman" album, with all those soulless singers coming from reality TV, who I admit may have good singing skill but still completely ruin those songs. The worst offender is "Envole Moi", which should be both a lament and a powerful hymn, and not that... sweet-sour thing (I also heard a version from an Armenian clone of André Rieu that was even worse). And their "Je te donne" has the only merit of being worse than the cover by World's Apart, which is quite an achievement.

And I just learnt yesterday that there was a second album on the way... ;_;

Embraye bidasse, ça fume
Dude came up with the best titles ever.

Sotha Sil

The rant is against that terrible "Génération Goldman" album, with all those soulless singers coming from reality TV, who I admit may have good singing skill but still completely ruin those songs. The worst offender is "Envole Moi", which should be both a lament and a powerful hymn, and not that... sweet-sour thing (I also heard a version from an Armenian clone of André Rieu that was even worse). And their "Je te donne" has the only merit of being worse than the cover by World's Apart, which is quite an achievement.

This terrible cover is playing in every goddamn store. Now I know why...

Oh, and cool thread. Touraine-GAF checking in.

G.O.O.

Je me permets d'interrompre ce flim parce qu'on se fout un peu de ma gueule : c'est du vol et du plagiat. J'aime pas trop les voleurs et les fils de pute.

(Et tant qu'on y est: Godard, ok il est mi-français mais où est Truffaut ???!? Et Sautet, Doillon, Carné, Clouzot, Polanski (juste pour faire chier les américains), Demy, Pialat, Chabrol, Eustache, Claire Denis, Bruno Dumont, Arnaud Desplechin, Costa-Gavras, Depardon, Ozon, Rappenau, Resnais, Rochant, Tavernier, Téchiné, Alain Corneau, René Clément, Louis Malle, Jacques Tourneur, et Verneuil et Rohmer et MAX LINDER et VARDA et RENOIR et MAX PECAS ???)
olol

Mael

Embraye bidasse, ça fume

And don't forget this true modern classic.

OMG! Max Pecas lol!

Le Baltringue is a Pecas too?

Also I had a trainee in my last job come from the US and she was trying to get as much French culture as she could.
She went into a Carrefour and got one of these special "movie for 3€"....
She ended up with a Max Pecas (it's in nanardland to boot), she was a bit...upset about that :lol.
She didn't exactly get what she expected :lol

These hacks are shitting on my memories as a child, I have an old tape I listened to all day and the fuckers are shitting on it!
It's giving me a case of the murders!
Envole Moi is literally the very first song I remember liking enough to even learn the lyrics and sing all day!
I better not cross one or you'll see me in jail for 10 years at least.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Here I thought we were going to discuss wine and cheese...

Pacbois

Le Baltringue is a Pecas too?

Haha no, but since we were at bad but classic French comedies, citing "Le Baltringue" was obvious to me.

As for Music, I'll add the new wave of 80's sounding bands/singers that are quite rising up right now like : Lescop, La Femme, Aline, Granville or Juveniles.

Mael

Nope, he died before this masterpiece came out.

Réalisateur : Cyril Sebas
Production : Wesh Wesh Production
Budget : 4 millions d'euros
Nombre d'entrées : 41 1092

Oh my...
How did I miss that!
Also Samourai
affiche.jpg

The worst film I've ever seen in a cinema.
Street Fighter is leagues better!
Btw Computer you forgot a special mention for JCVD....at least his interviews...I mean something....anything!
Haha no, but since we were at bad but classic French comedies, citing "Le Baltringue" was obvious to me.

As for Music, I'll add the new wave of 80's sounding bands/singers that are quite rising up right now like : Lescop, La Femme, Aline, Granville or Juveniles.

It's true that it's fitting right at home with the rest :lol

Here I thought we were going to discuss wine and cheese...

We are

Embraye bidasse, ça fume

I'm originally from Germany (Berlin), but have been living in France (Versailles) for ~8 years now. Never looked back, love it here, only problem is that I STILL don't speak the language. I understand some, and can speak enough to communicate on a very basic level, but not much more...

Every year I tell myself - this year I will learn French, for sure.
Every year, I fail. Last year I got close, even took some lessons at a language school (Berlitz). Maybe this year I can continue with that. I would hate to leave France at some point in the future without ever having learned to speak French.

Mael

I'm originally from Germany (Berlin), but have been living in France (Versailles) for ~8 years now. Never looked back, love it here, only problem is that I STILL don't speak the language. I understand some, and can speak enough to communicate on a very basic level, but not much more...

Every year, I fail. Last year I got close, even took some lessons at a language school (Berlitz). Maybe this year I can continue with that. I would hate to leave France at some point in the future without ever having learned to speak French.

Godspeed! It's not easy but you should pick up most of it by just living here, the structure of the language should be yours already.

How the hell did Kenji Kawai let himself get involved in that piece of crap?

That's a valid question, personally a better one would be : How the hell did I let myself pay for this!

Mael

Oh my... you watched that in a cinema ? I feel for you... I watched it on a hotel TV while I had nothing else to do, and the pain was still almost physical. That's easily the most cringeworthy movie I've ever watched.

It was during the summer of cinema promo with movies at 1€ (at the time) so the pain wasn't as hard.
We just finished watching No Man's Land, a very moving and funny film.
And then we see Samourai and go "why the hell not".
We weren't plenty watching the turd and it's the only time I saw people actually walking out of a film.
I swear I never saw that before and I always thought that was impossible.
That's how bad it is.
I can say I would have liked watching a Pecas way more.

Any tips to learn German? I've had some German classes in collège and lycée (to which I paid no attention) but I truly fell in love with German when I watched Inglourious Basterds and I've wanted to master it ever since. I'm comfortable with the syntax, some of the grammar (down to the accusative, dative and even genitive cases) and I also know some vocabulary, but my skills are not strong enough for me to converse in German or understand a newspaper (you have so many prepositions and detachable particles like zu, vor, auf, bei, doch, noch, weg, ja, it's hard to remember how to use them. This, and the vocabulary is completely different from Romance languages.

By the way, does Mädchenhandelsschule sound as funny to you as it does for me?

Godspeed! It's not easy but you should pick up most of it by just living here, the structure of the language should be yours already.

That's a valid question, personally a better one would be : How the hell did I let myself pay for this!
Haha, I saw it for free on M6, many years ago.

You know, it's a bit of a shame that Quebec is french speaking, because if it wasn't for the language I'd move there without any hesitation. Now, I'd have to polish my rusty french.

Et mon francais est becaoup rustique :(

Jb

Ha, a fellow Versaillais :) Maybe the franco-german highschool of Buc has some evening classes to learn french? I had a german childhood friend who went there.

How is Marseille? It looks graet in the movies :p and it´s on the Med. I have never been to France but Marseille looks really nice to me. Is Leon good too? I have a cousin who lives there.

Mael

I can't facepalm hard enough at the quirky arab sidekick

To be fair there's a Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of stuffs to facepalm in this movie.
It's also a legendary mashup of all the racial stereotypes possibles : arab, asian, black...
It's only missing the white guy stereotype to push to the next level.

Pacbois

How is Marseille? It looks graet in the movies :p and it´s on the Med. I have never been to France but Marseille looks really nice to me. Is Leon good too? I have a cousin who lives there.

If you're listening to the news, it's the far-west. Actually, I don't think it's that bad, but yeah pretty city otherwise. Again it's the South, weird mentality, not as much hospitality as the north of even Paris.

G.O.O.

Surely you mean Lyon ?

(we're talking about movies right now and Leon is the French title for The professional :p )

Marseille has nice places but also awful ones (dirty, violent etc).

Mael

If you're listening to the news, it's the far-west. Actually, I don't think it's that bad, but yeah pretty city otherwise. Again it's the South, weird mentality, not as much hospitality as the north of even Paris.

The way I see it, it has its own sets of rules, if someone can introduce you to the place it's the nicest, best place in France with the most awesome people ever.
You can love it or hate it depending on how you go about it.
It's not the far-west, it's not "Plus belle la ville" either (you can get kicked in the face for even a reference to that)

Surely you mean Lyon ?

(we're talking about movies right now and Leon is the French title for The professional :p )

That's why I didn't get why he mixed a question about a movie with a question about a city

What's frightening about Marseille is not that AK-47 are circulating freely among gangsters, it's that AK-47-wielding gangsters are young, extremely trigger-happy, don't have a code of honor and will use their rifle if you even look at them the wrong way.

Edit: Reposting the typical Marseille news report:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1J5IZ7C8AQ

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I'm worried about this as well. At age 31 I'm afraid I'm going to have a tough time learning to speak well. :\

I've already become fairly proficient in Japanese but it's so different that the methods I used for studying aren't really cutting it with French.

To be fair there's a Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of stuffs to facepalm in this movie.
It's also a legendary mashup of all the racial stereotypes possibles : arab, asian, black...
It's only missing the white guy stereotype to push to the next level.
Here's the definitive review of Samourais: http://www.nanarland.com/Chroniques/chronique-samourais-samourais.html

Je suis tombé en amour avec votre pays lors d'un séjour de 3 mois à Montpellier l'été passé. Good times.
Québécois detected?

Mael

What's frightening about Marseille is not that AK-47 are circulating freely among gangsters, it's that AK-47-wielding gangsters are young extremely trigger-happy, don't have a code of honor and will use their rifle if you only look at them the wrong way.

Marseille was always a rebellious city (to the point of one part of its history having been stripped of its name), heck the mayor assured his reelection when he told Sarkozy to go fuck himself on national tv.
That's someone from the UMP btw.
Even the officials are rebels there :lol.

I'm dying to go back to Montreal. Last time I went there was early nineties (I was around 14). I remember having awesome bagels and playing for the first time that ugly version of the super nes that you had over there. Also my cousin was working for Music Plus and she introduced me to Rick Astley.

And the language discoveries were great. I was kind of baffled and scared when, after a party, she told me "tu veux que je te chauffe ?".

Love love love Québec and ze Québécois.

C'était un piège car en fait CE SONT TOUS MES PRÉFÉRÉS !

G.O.O.

Ok. Après Kaamelott et le Grand Détournement, il va être temps de promouvoir les Messages à caractère informatif.

Go go go !

Parmi mes préférés :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA33k1kABPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxMs2Mbk8I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbRIlpSeyR8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8N24SU4Gfo

"C'était vraiment très intéressant"

Let's not forget La personne aux deux personnes along with this amazing song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQlAdEpRZeA

This is exactly what I expected to happen when I moved here! But it's been 8 years and it hasn't happened. I just know enough to place an order when I get a coffee at a , or go shopping at the market, as long as they don't ask any unexpected questions.

I work for a company filled with hundreds of expats, from all over Europe. We all share similar interests as well, which is how we end up at this company to begin with, so most of us tend to hang out with colleagues even outside of work. And even the friends I made outside of that circle are mostly German or English speaking expats.

I'm just not "among the French" enough to just pick it up from hearing it.

Ha, a fellow Versaillais :) Maybe the franco-german highschool of Buc has some evening classes to learn french? I had a german childhood friend who went there.

I've heard of that school - a colleagues kids go there. But I don't think they offer anything like that (at least, I don't see anything mentioned on there website). In addition, I work regularly changing shifts, about half of the year I work until 22:00, and even my weekend changes every 3 months. So - regular lessons are not easy to fit in.

The cool thing about the course I took at Berlitz was that it was handled via the DIF, so it was paid for by my employer and during work hours, so even working shifts was no problem. I still have at least 100 hours DIF-training saved up, so hopefully I will get the company to pay for more French lessons this year - just need to redo the basics by myself, so I don't have to repeat the same course I already finished. When you don't learn enough to actually use it in a conversation, it's so easy to forget everything.

Any tips to learn German? I've had some German classes in collège and lycée (to which I paid no attention) but I truly fell in love with German when I watched Inglourious Basterds and I've wanted to master it ever since. I'm comfortable with the syntax, some of the grammar (down to the accusative, dative and even genitive cases) and I also know some vocabulary, but my skills are not strong enough for me to converse in German or understand a newspaper (you have so many prepositions and detachable particles like zu, vor, auf, bei, doch, noch, weg, ja, it's hard to remember how to use them. This, and the vocabulary is completely different from Romance languages.

By the way, does Mädchenhandelsschule sound as funny to you as it does for me?

Learning a language as a second (third, fourth...) language is very different from learning it as your mother language, so I don't have any good leads on that.

However, once you are able to speak it a little and are looking for practice, you might be able to find a meeting of Germans and German-speaking French people in your area. In Paris, there are some weekly or bi-weekly meetings, Versailles has a meeting twice a month, and I'm sure other areas do too. You can check out AFASP for info on some of these meetings.

Oh, and I believe we would say "Mädchen-Handelsschule", rather then making it a single word, to avoid the confusion on whether it's a business school for girls, or a school teaching trafficking of women.

However, once you are able to speak it a little and are looking for practice, you might be able to find a meeting of Germans and German-speaking French people in your area. In Paris, there are some weekly or bi-weekly meetings, Versailles has a meeting twice a month, and I'm sure other areas do too. You can check out AFASP for info on some of these meetings.
Thanks!
Oh, and I believe we would say "Mädchen-Handelsschule", rather then making it a single word, to avoid the confusion on whether it's a business school for girls, or a school teaching trafficking of women.
Yeah, that's what I meant. My syntax analysis teacher taught me that word and how easy it was to mistranslate :)

thomaser

I would have agreed a few years ago, but Citroen (with the DS line) and the latest Renault (Clio 4) have produced some great cars lately. I really love my DS3.

I'm in the market for a new car, and have a DS3 on loan today. Drove around a bit with it, and it's quite nice! What struck me most is how good the view is on all sides. Feels very open for such a small car. But I've had Ford Fiestas all my life, and will try the new one tomorrow... it will be an uphill battle for the DS3, but it has surprised me positively today.

bjb

Banned
Computer, how would you rate / dsecribe the women of France that you've been with versus say other countries?

Top Bottom