• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

I read the Manga a few years ago and think it is a masterpiece, not only because of the dark and brutal fantasy style but because of Guts as a fascinating character. He gives a shit about nearly everyone and has to fight his inner and outer demons all alone (till some time), always facing enemies which are much stronger than himself.
Dark Souls has captured this feeling very well, by using many references of the manga, like enemies, armors and the dark, cruel world you fight in.

Earlier this year I read the manga a third time and got the brand of sacrifice tattooed on my shoulder, it sounds dumb but it gives me strength just knowing it there.

I highly recommend reading this manga if you like dark and mature fantasy with a story that punches you right in the face. I would read it in combination with the soundtrack of the old animated series because the tracks are just haunting and beautiful at the same time if you know the context.

Behelit and Gattsu are outstanding tracks but the real masterpiece is Murder

Still need to read the manga.

It makes me laugh when I see people say they are fans of the anime but haven't read the manga

not in a bad way, just the amount of EPIC shit that happens in the manga will blow your mind.

Granted, since it has been around for so long, it has its ups and downs.
But it's still at the top of my list.

This is my manga version of ASOFAI complete with "I hope the ending gets written before the author moves on"

so1337

It's entirely possible you'll have to wait those ten years in that case. It's been going for over 20 years and it's 70% done. Unless Miura picks up the pace again we're in for a long wait.
20 years? How old is this guy?

*googles*

57? I did not realize that. I guess I understand why you'd want to hang back and play some Idolmaster after all that time.

I wonder if he's at all worried about leaving behind an unfinished work, though.

Imm0rt4l

It makes me laugh when I see people say they are fans of the anime but haven't read the manga

not in a bad way, just the amount of EPIC shit that happens in the manga will blow your mind.

Granted, since it has been around for so long, it has its ups and downs.
But it's still at the top of my list.

This is my manga version of ASOFAI complete with "I hope the ending gets written before the author moves on"

Yea. Only seen the anime? You aint seen shit yet.

Alric

Great thread. I used to be so into this series. It has probably been ~4 years since I've read it, but I still haven't stumbled upon a better manga. The anime was great, too.

Couple questions. From where I left off, I vaguely remember these handful of events:
A burning boat, and the devil-esque figure (Zodd?) appearing; Guts pretty much raping Casca, biting into her breast; Guts managing to hurt the female "goddess" because his sword had gathered a lot of energy of some kind over time; and the beginnings, I think, of a journey to cure Casca's amnesia by going to some sort of (fairy?) island.
I've lost all sense of how much progress the manga has made since I stopped reading it. Has it gone on much further?

Secondly, I've never been able to find definitive information on this, but is it actually true the mangaka takes long breaks because of Idolmaster? Has there been any consistency to the pace of release at all over the past few years?

Sounds like you left off right after the Goblin arc where they met Shiek the witch. So yeah, there is a bit after that. Plenty to read but still no end. I'd say read on.

Alric

I'm still holding out for a PC version of Dragon's Dogma. But I guess that's futile by now.

That game looks so cool and I've got several friends telling me I'd love it.

Dark and Demon's Souls are also pretty good games for a Berserk fan. And the director said he drew some inspiration from Berserk.

:-( I know, I really wanted a PC version of Dragons Dogma but I don't think it'll happen. I have the original version but PS+ users can now get the Dark Arisen version for free so I downloaded that the other night.
Dark Souls and Demons Souls are some of the greatest games this generation. WIthout a doubt my favorite games next to Monster Hunter.

TTOOLL

Finish reading it a couple of months ago. Amazing, though I must confess I prefer the first part of the manga.
So, we gonna have more in December? Great news!

Soule

Dammit when I saw the thread and date posted I was all excited thinking that the story had continued without me knowing... Such an amazing story, I want closure and I want it to never stop at the same time, most of all I just wish I didn't have to wait any longer. Really thought I'd have just given up or forgotten about this series by now but it's just so good.

Aberrant

I just ordered the first three chapters of the manga in hard copy format :D.

Have always loved Berserk since I saw the old 25 episode anime series. Still haven't watched the recent anime movie releases.

RiZ III

I disagree with OP about the recent Berserk movies. Having seen the original series and read the manga, I think the movies are awesome. They are definitely not the place to start, but they look super nice (best looking anime I've seen). I found them to be nice fan service.

Alric

Did anyone else like the manga more when there weren't so many kids in it?

You know I sort of thought this at first but then I really came to like the new direction. While Griffith builds an army that worships and does his beck and call. Guts has what amounts to a family that supports each other. Guts wants nothing bad to happen to any of them no matter what he may say and relies on them very much to help not only himself but to take care of caska. I really like it actually.

Oh man, I remember when I caught up on the manga in 2006 and they set sail for One Pie-- Elfhiem and I was 16 then, I'm 23 now and they STILL haven't gotten to it yet.

The new movies are pretty awful by the way, a second chance to cover what the first anime didn't bother with and instead condensed it even more.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You know, lately I've been thinking about picking up the first volume of the manga. I really liked the anime series and I've been hankering for more dark fantasy goodness.

Aizo

Banned
Katarn, you made a Berserk thread? <3

I love Berserk! Oh, you want me to prove it?! I just took a photo. I bought every volume the other week. Hahaha. It was kinda heavy.
Kql4ybD.jpg

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
finished the original anime a few weeks ago. I always knew the souls series borrowed heavily from this manga but I didn't have the urge to watch it until I saw a nin amv. shit changed my life.

are the American viz blurays for the remake fully uncut ?

and I need to get around to reading the manga but some of the changes from the anime turned me off a bit.

Ninjimbo

For the longest time, I held off on reading Berserk. I've heard great things. I've seen great images. I heard it had a stellar Dreamcast game. But I could never find the time or the urge to bring myself to read a 300 chapter manga. I tried watching the anime when I was in high school, but I didn't click with it. My exposure to anime back then was limited to Naruto, so any attempt at getting me into Berserk was going to be a lost cause.

Anyways, a couple of weeks ago, I kind of got into manga again. I started reading Chihayafuru and caught up there and I was looking for something else to get into while I waited impatiently to see Taichi continue to fail. For some reason, I had Berserk sitting on my Favorites list. It was late. I had nothing to do and I was in the mood for something dark and violent after something sweet and wholesome.

I blasted through the first chapter: the translation was awful, the art was kind of crude and I wondered why Guts was such an asshole. Demons were getting cut in half though and innocent people were being slaughtered. I felt a nasty oppression in this world and that's intriguing to me. I planned on reading like 5 chapters and calling it a night, but I ended up reading 25.

Forget everything, I was hooked. I caught up in less than a week. It felt like a fucking journey. My emotions during Eclipse were all over the place. I felt bad, empty, betrayed, furious. And poor Guts. His life is just pain. Endless pain.

Berserk was a great ride. It's a bummer that Miura doesn't seem too motivated to finish it. I still think it's a great manga and plenty of its arcs seem re-readable. I can see why it's considered one of the great classics.

JCG

Miura is so slow but his art is so godlike.

Honestly, at this point you'd figure they'd hire enough assistants to keep the art at a similar quality yet still massively speed up the production process. Berserk is great but I tend to literally forget about it for months to years on end because of all the delays. If it weren't for the recent movies, I probably wouldn't have decided to start catching up with the manga once more, or at least not yet.

The anime covers the Golden Arc, albeit with less development and by skimping over the
rape of Guts
, which is vital to the development and makes the final moments between Guts, Griffith and Caska so much more tragic and powerful.

It's sad that no other anime can even touch this level of character development. They just stick to the tropes, and refuse to go where Miura went with Berserk.

Nibel

So first the anime and then the manga? Should I begin the manga from the beginning or can I pickup where the anime left?

Jake.

i bought vol 1 of this about 8 years ago and thought it was awesome, but then lost interest in anime/manga/video games completely. i remember liking it though, maybe i should pick up vol 2...

So first the anime and then the manga? Should I begin the manga from the beginning or can I pickup where the anime left?

If I could do it over, I would read until the end of the golden age arc (youll know when it is) and the go and watch the anime.Then go back to reading after you are done.

Aizo

Banned
Honestly, at this point you'd figure they'd hire enough assistants to keep the art at a similar quality yet still massively speed up the production process. Berserk is great but I tend to literally forget about it for months to years on end because of all the delays. If it weren't for the recent movies, I probably wouldn't have decided to start catching up with the manga once more, or at least not yet.

As of volume 37, he had 4 assistants and the help of the enigmatic Studio Gaga, so I'm not sure how much more help he would need...

Ambitious

From the beginning. It's more detailed than the anime and there are also a few important things not present in the latter.

ZoddGutts

Used to really like this series but lost interest with the whole journey to elf island happened, it's taken longer than it should have. Even when I really loved the series, I would still put Vagabond ahead of it.

I love Berserk so much. I watched the anime series many times, and introduced many friends to it. I only have the first 15 volumes of the manga and immensely enjoyed reading them, it's the first and only manga I bought and fully read (I need to get the rest some day). Still haven't watched the recent OVA/movies.

Katarn, you made a Berserk thread? <3

I love Berserk! Oh, you want me to prove it?! I just took a photo. I bought every volume the other week. Hahaha. It was kinda heavy.

And to think I was too scared to make the thread, thinking it would die in two posts.

Your collection - color me jelly.

I think the people here are underestimating the anime. Seriously just give the anime a shot and if you don't like something about it go for the manga. I watched the anime first and then marathoned the manga along to the soundtrack. It was amazing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

introduced many friends to it.
How many? I've made five people watch it (can't rope anyone into reading manga really) and every single one has loved it. Also went to all the movie screenings with three of my friends.

Aizo

Banned
And to think I was too scared to make the thread, thinking it would die in two posts.

Your collection - color me jelly.

I think the people here are underestimating the anime. Seriously just give the anime a shot and if you don't like something about it go for the manga. I watched the anime first and then marathoned the manga along to the soundtrack. It was amazing and I wouldn't have it any other way.

You also like my very favorite manga, GTO, so we are forever on good terms. I should watch more Twin Peaks... Your collection is on its way. Keep going!

About the anime, it has a fucking awesome soundtrack. Hirasawa Susumu is one of the industry's best composers, and all should know and adore him. In case many are unfamiliar, he did a bunch of Kon Satoshi film soundtracks, too. In the Berserk soundtrack, he sang in a made up language because he thought no language on Earth suited the strangeness that is the universe of Berserk.

dosh

A Berserk OT = immediate subscription <3

How explicit is the ending of the third movie compared to the manga? Is there anything censored?

To be honest, it's even worse than the manga. Reaaaally graphic, reaaaaaally violent and reaaaally rapey. The shots where Guts
cuts off his arm are unbelievably hardcore

rvy

Banned
GAF Berserk OT? My life is almost complete.

Miura, please stop playing idolmaster, get off your ass and finish this thing.

You also like my very favorite manga, GTO, so we are forever on good terms. I should watch more Twin Peaks... Your collection is on its way. Keep going!

In the Berserk soundtrack, he sang in a made up language because he thought no language on Earth suited the strangeness that is the universe of Berserk.

The GTO volumes are borrowed from a friend actually, but I'm loving it so far. Onizuka even has the Zaku and RX-78 in his crummy apartment!
Twin Peaks is easily my favorite piece of western TV. My love for it is on par with Berserk.

I think Hirasawa sang only in the Guts song? I could be wrong because I've refrained from overlistening that soundtrack because it's something really magical for me.
His solo albums are pretty great as well, but they require a very specific mood to truly enjoy.

Tacitus_

I hope Miura gets some work in before the next Idolmaster game comes out. I want to see Elfhell during this decade.

How epic would this be?
Berserk+on+Titan.+Probably+been+around+a+bit+Hell+if+I_5e54c8_4606713.jpg

Guts would fucking clown the regular titans. No contest at all. He just stomped down on this fella:
AfOQHdz.png

and that was before he got his enchanted armor.
Then some time after that, he fought Serpico in a hall filled with meter thick pillars with steel cores. They only slowed down his swings, not stopped them. The
armored
titan might be a worthy opponent. Everything else he would stomp without even tapping into the armor power.

Top Bottom