• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

daniels

Well i watched the 3 movies some nice fights and gore but the rest is bad...
1 lol cgi
2 fuck scene straight from a hentai
3 ntr scene straight from a hentai

:/

Qvoth

Used to really like this series but lost interest with the whole journey to elf island happened, it's taken longer than it should have. Even when I really loved the series, I would still put Vagabond ahead of it.
What happened with this anyway?
I think it's been quite some time since the latest chapter is released?
He on hiatus?

To be honest I haven't been as much of a manga reader as I was before ffxiv...
Going overseas next week, I'll try and catch up as many manga as I can lol

Aizo

Banned
1 lol cgi

Read the manga.
(I feel like I'm going to be saying this a lot in this thread...)

What I saw of the movies seemed like decent animation, surprised so many people dislike it. Only clips here and there though. Might pick up the first few volumes of the manga and give the series a go because I've always meant to. Just a shame there aren't any collections or things of that nature.

Awesome thread! :]
My favorite manga. Haven't been keeping up though. Seems like a good time to remedy that.

A Berserk game made by FROMSOFT would be more fitting. Hell, the Souls games have plenty of references to Berserk.

2012121500001.jpg
Wow, the greatsword was obvious, but the balder armor never clicked for me. Nice.

Posted about the similarities between Artorias of the Abyss, and Berserker Armor Gutts before in the Dark Souls thread.

xwU6PMN.jpg

So good.

Meteorain

I want to get back into the manga (I've only read a few chapters) but I've heard a few things that put me off.

The first was a spoiler which totally put me off. Something about Gutt's
girlfriend being captured and being raped quite a few times over the story. I don't want to read about some poor girl constantly being a victim of rape.
Does it get better? Anything else to counter balance this and alleviate the terribleness?

Also, I heard the manga is ridiculously slow. That's not so much the problem since I've read stuff like Ippo and Initial D.

I want to get back into the manga (I've only read a few chapters) but I've heard a few things that put me off.

girlfriend being captured and being raped quite a few times over the story. I don't want to read about some poor girl constantly being a victim of rape.
Does it get better? Anything else to counter balance this and alleviate the terribleness?

Also, I heard the manga is ridiculously slow. That's not so much the problem since I've read stuff like Ippo and Initial D.
The manga itself isn't slow - it's the release schedule.

As for the thing you're scared of - it happens once and it is the most pivotal event in the whole series, changing the nature of every main character. It's not for cheap thrills and it hasn't happened again.

Definitely give it a shot and join our ranks in BerserkGAF. We have mead and wine.

Tacitus_

Bud, if there's a girl on the page, there's a 50-50 chance someone either attempts to rape her or succeeds in raping her. Or maybe they just disembowel her. Maybe both.
Caska's has had numerous rape attempts.. lessee... the one in her origin flashback, then at least once during the Golden Age arc, once after it, at least twice after that and one successful rape (this one was really nasty).

Berserk is not a really nice world. Hell, the main character got raped as a kid.

Card Boy

Banned
Its on my to do list currently hovering between School, work, Batman, Fables, One Piece, Sons of Anarchy and gaming. Good times.

Bud, if there's a girl on the page, there's a 50-50 chance someone either attempts to rape her or succeeds in raping her. Or maybe they just disembowel her. Maybe both.
Caska's has had numerous rape attempts.. lessee... the one in her origin flashback, then at least once during the Golden Age arc, once after it, at least twice after that and one successful rape (this one was really nasty).

Berserk is not a really nice world. Hell, the main character got raped as a kid.
Ehhh I'd spoilertag all that. Plenty of newcomers here. Especially when replying to someone who hasn't read it.

Though I'd like for the thread to be a more freeform discussion of the plot later on.

Meteorain

It wasn't so much that there was rape in the manga, it's something that happens to people and can change the plot. I just found the idea of one girl being victimised constantly off putting.

However if that's not the case, then I'm sure I can get back into it. I have been looking for a long indepth manga to get into.

Tacitus_

Ehhh I'd spoilertag all that. Plenty of newcomers here. Especially when replying to someone who hasn't read it.

Though I'd like for the thread to be a more freeform discussion of the plot later on.

Meh, the previous pages were discussing actual plot details from the last couple volumes unspoilered.

It wasn't so much that there was rape in the manga, it's something that happens to people and can change the plot. I just found the idea of one girl being victimised constantly off putting.

However if that's not the case, then I'm sure I can get back into it. I have been looking for a long indepth manga to get into.

It's just a shitty world full of shitty people, so girls get raped. Caska was one of the main supporting characters so she got the most pages, so the most rape attempts.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Add me to the favorite (and top) manga series list

at least we know what Miura is doing

I feel like if any manga or anime was able to transition into an american show it would be Berserk. Tell me you assholes wouldn't love a live action show done in America based off of Berserk

There's not enough money to pay for the special effects needed :(

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
1 lol cgi

what... the run-off put you off?
The rape scene wasn't supposed to be titillating you know so I wouldn't call it NTR :(

dosh

There are several rape attempts in the manga, and Casca can be seen as victimized, but there's a valid reason for that. It's not so much that people/creatures want to rape her. They are drawn to her.

So yeah, you're quite safe :)

That's certainly a possibility, but I am leaning towards that not happening because, at his core, Griffith is a wholly selfish bastard. What he does, he does to serve himself, not others around him. And what he wants is the kingdom and to be a great ruler. His goal was always a kingdom, and now that he's finally got it, what can he possibly want more that he'd sacrifice it? He even said in his encounter to Guts that his dream has not changed since the eclipse. He's definitely using the people of midgard, but I interpret it that he wants to live out the fantasy of being an awesome king, so him sacrificing his kingdom for something or someone makes little sense to me. There isn't a higher level for him than what he has now, atleast as far as we know.
I like the idea of Griffith living out his own fantasy. After all, (spoiler from volume 33 onwards)
the death of the Kushan emperor marked the beginning of the fantasy age, with all the "astral people" (trolls, cockatrixes, monsters, elfs) coming out of hiding. And Falconia has clearly been created to harbor human beings from that threat.
It really struck me as odd that Griffith was responsible (as in willingly responsible) for the emergence of these creatures, and at the same time built a place to protect people from them.
So yeah, I'd agree that he created his own private fantasy: a menace and the means to be seen as a savior. But there's probably more to it.

And then, there's the lost chapter, the one that Miura decided to "unpublish" because it explained too much plot too soon. I'm not sure Griffith is as much in control of his destiny as we, the readers, think he is. Spoiler about the lost chapter:
I've always seen him as an agent of the Idea of Evil.

And then, there's the lost chapter, the one that Miura decided to "unpublish" because it explained too much plot too soon. I'm not sure Griffith is as much in control of his destiny as we, the readers, think he is. Spoiler about the lost chapter:
I've always seen him as an agent of the Idea of Evil.

I don't think the Idea of Evil was necessarily toying with Griffith. It's more like... Griffith will do what he wants and it all goes in accordance with the laws of causality anyway.

It's too bad he decided to cut that chapter so we can never be sure how canon it exactly is.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
One of these days I'll read through this thread when I have the time, but I just wanted to drop in and show my support. I own all of the english translated volumes. Big fan, even have one of the Berserk statues.

puhEX02.jpg

(not my image)

I want another one!

Tacitus_

I don't think the Idea of Evil was necessarily toying with Griffith. It's more like... Griffith will do what he wants and it all goes in accordance with the laws of causality anyway.

It's too bad he decided to cut that chapter so we can never be sure how canon it exactly is.

The chapter is canon, he just decided it revealed too much too soon.

dosh

You're probably right. I keep forgetting that everything in this world relies on the laws of causality. The characters talk so much about it that it doesn't even register anymore when I read the words.

As for the lost chapter, I assume it is canon. It was there for a reason, and it explains a lot of the stuff happening in Berserk.
I'm not sure the Idea of Evil will eventually reappear, but I hope it will: the concept of an actual entity giving human beings a justification for their lives and sufferings is too good to pass up.

Tacitus_

You're probably right. I keep forgetting that everything in this world rely on the laws of causality. The characters talk so much about it that it doesn't even register anymore when I read the words.

As for the lost chapter, I assume it is canon. It was there for a reason, and it explains a lot of the stuff happening in Berserk.
I'm not sure the Idea of Evil will eventually reappear, but I hope it will: the concept of an actual entity giving human beings a justification for their lives and sufferings is too good to pass up.

Quoting TVTropes here
People's suffering and need for something to blame for it creates The Idea of Evil -> Idea of Evil creates the Godhand -> Godhand uses Behelits to turn people into demons and new Godhand members -> demons make life even shittier for everyone else -> people's suffering sustains The Idea of Evil...and so on and so forth.

the death of the Kushan emperor marked the beginning of the fantasy age, with all the "astral people" (trolls, cockatrixes, monsters, elfs) coming out of hiding. And Falconia has clearly been created to harbor human beings from that threat.
It really struck me as odd that Griffith was responsible (as in willingly responsible) for the emergence of these creatures, and at the same time built a place to protect people from them.
So yeah, I'd agree that he created his own private fantasy: a menace and the means to be seen as a savior. But there's probably more to it.
? Why were those "astral people" hiding from the emperor? I all I remember is the emperor turning into a massive tree and exploding which somehow spreads all these monsters everywhere.

zeroOman

? Why were those "astral people" hiding from the emperor? I all I remember is the emperor turning into a massive tree and exploding which somehow spreads all these monsters everywhere.

did ppl forgot why Griffith was reborn agian....to destroy the human ward.... was't that the wish of the egg dude who was hoping to destroy and kill every human.... and that is Griffith job

JDSN

Banned
The series is amazing, the first couple of fights against Apostles are exercises of brutality, with Guts ended up in a poor shape, I dont understand why people hated the inclusion of a supposedly generic RPG team, the series is set in a world that constantly defies expectations and is constantly increasing its scale.

dosh

Quoting TVTropes here
People's suffering and need for something to blame for it creates The Idea of Evil -> Idea of Evil creates the Godhand -> Godhand uses Behelits to turn people into demons and new Godhand members -> demons make life even shittier for everyone else -> people's suffering sustains The Idea of Evil...and so on and so forth.
Makes sense.

Well, I said "came out of hiding" to keep it quick and simple. To be more precise: the astral creatures normally don't have access to the real, physical world. However, that's not true anymore since Griffith's rebirth at the end of the Inquisition arc.
When Guts and the gang fight the trolls and the ogre in Enoch's village, Schierke seems really surprised that the creatures would even be there in the first place.

After the Kushan emperor was killed, more and more of these astral monsters came out of their "realm" to attack human beings. At the end of the arc, as soon as the tree appears, there are several pages showing trolls, goblins, hydras, giants and even dragons coming out of nowhere and starting to slaughter everything on their path. Only to be hunted down by Griffith's army.

I can't remember the exact tagline for this episode, but it's something along the lines of "fantasy finally covers reality".

edit:
if I remember correctly, you even see Slan, the girl God Hand, on a page at the end of the episode, hinting that she was instrumental in releasing the creatures.

Alric

All the talk of Guts and his new group and Griffith and his new group. We all forget poor
Rickert
. I wonder what he'll decide to do. He knows Griffith did something, Guts wouldn't tell him and he's to make up his own mind.
Also I'd like to talk about the new band of the Hawk. Has anyone noticed how
Irvine
the new long range archer of the group prefers to stay away from the others in the group? He reminds me of
Judeau
from the fromer band of the hawk in some ways. Wonder where that could lead.

Mumei

I have forgotten so much of the backstory and plot of Berserk. This is what your post told me.

I'm going to purchase Volumes 35 - 37 when 37 is released and reread the whole thing! Berserk's pacing is fantastic when you read it all at once; I just wish Miura would hurry it up a bit.

It's been almost 8 months since i read a chp. Sadly if I go back there might be only 2 waiting for me.

Oh Well.

Still my favorite series. I hope when Miura gets back to drawing the picks up the plot. It's been dragging for a good while.

Tacitus_

It's been almost 8 months since i read a chp. Sadly if I go back there might be only 2 waiting for me.

Oh Well.

Still my favorite series. I hope when Miura gets back to drawing the picks up the plot. It's been dragging for a good while.

Haha, there have been no new chapters for like 1,5 years now. So....

Necrovex

I'm going to purchase Volumes 35 - 37 when 37 is released and reread the whole thing! Berserk's pacing is fantastic when you read it all at once; I just wish Miura would hurry it up a bit.

That's why I am waiting for the series for the series to be completed, or
for Guts to finally reach and leave Elfheim.
So I'll be waiting for a decade longer in any case.

animus82

Banned
Did you guys read about Miura taking another break from Berserk.

He is going to start writing/drawing a new manga.

HE will never finish this manga like the guy who wrote Guin Saga.

I'm a bit bitter about this because I love berserk.

Necrovex

Did you guys read about Miura taking another break from Berserk.

He is going to start writing/drawing a new manga.

HE will never finish this manga like the guy who wrote Guin Saga.

I'm a bit bitter about this because I love berserk.

I've known this since 2007.

LaneDS

I've always found this very helpful for understanding Berserk's cosmology. I'm not hotlinking the picture because the information is not revealed until later in the series, some people might consider it spoilers.

http://skullknight.net/encyclopedia/universe/berserk-unviverse-final.jpg

What are the Four Kings? Do they live in the New Londo Ruins?

One of the main reasons I love Demon's/Dark Souls as much as I do is because of how much it reminds me of Berserk in some regards.

Mumei

What are the Four Kings? Do they live in the New Londo Ruins?

One of the main reasons I love Demon's/Dark Souls as much as I do is because of how much it reminds me of Berserk in some regards.

On the Encyclopedia (spoilers for stuff around Volume 24/25):

Four Kings of the World

The four guardian angels of the four borders of the world dwell in the heart of the Astral world. They govern over the spiritual elements of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water (North, South, East and West respectively). They are even documented in the Holy See's scripture, though most priests still deny the existence of magic. They are the most powerful astral incarnations.

Schierke summons the Four Kings in Enoch to provide a magical barrier to keep the Trolls at bay. Any astral creature that touches the barrier is destroyed.

Nibel

You are in for a treat.

At the same time I don't know what to tell you. One thing is for sure. You will read the manga.

That seems inevitable, but I have no problem with that

Is the manga as gory as the anime? Some of that stuff was really brutal so far :lol

Top Bottom