• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bleach Manga |OT| Return of the King

I used to love this series so much, but after the awesome Soul Society arc (posting in the official Gaf thread back in the day when Soul Society was happening and getting all pumped up when Ichigo beat 3 lieutenants without his sword etc.) , my heart just gave up. I tried to back again and again for the following seasons of the series and check the manga, but it feels so aimless.

I used to love this series so much, but after the awesome Soul Society arc (posting in the official Gaf thread back in the day when Soul Society was happening and getting all pumped up when Ichigo beat 3 lieutenants without his sword etc.) , my heart just gave up. I tried to back again and again for the following seasons of the series and check the manga, but it feels so aimless.

Bleach always felt like Kubo is winging it all the time. The man is crazy talented though, his art is impeccable.

Maddocks

Poor manga, it was so good, then it became blah and tite introduced like 50 new characters and killed them off just as fast.

That's another mindfuck.

The entire series everyone is scared of her and it makes no sense....
Then Kubo does the asspull of asspulls and reveals she's the kenpachi that was never defeated. If her main bankai heals everyone then her real bankai must've been terrifying but we'll never know because Kubo's affinity for reaction shots exceeds his desire to expound on good shit.

What's the over/under on how many chapters we have left in this manga?

It's fucking stupid, but
it's essentially like stomach acid, corrosive instead of healing.

Gnome

So, I stopped reading years ago when Ichigo defeated Aizen during the whole Espada ordeal, should I ever pick this manga back up?

Honestly, I like this arc the most. Every single arc has been a weird tonal shift, rife with different and new plots, editor meddling, and outright strange plot twist.

But even with all that shit up to the extreme (especially the editor meddling), I think it's in the best area. It's far more self aware, far more daring (but without real deaths because KUBOOO), and the fights feel more clever.

And the pacing is far too fast, but that's fine for our friend Kubo, who likes to pump out chapters with just white space and no advancement.

These things are problems for others, and that's perfectly fine, but I've found myself enjoying my read throughs every week. I can't wait to see what insane bullshit is on the way.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
HELL YEAH.

This arc, just like this series, has had its ups and downs. Right now it's on an up, but I'm not expecting that to last. LOL KUBO

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think the biggest problem with Bleach is how large the cast is. Because everytime a villain is introduced, they have 100 subordinates so that every person in Soul Society has a matchup. And then you would think that with such a large cast constantly fighting there would have been more deaths but nope. It's so bizzarre.

But I'll still peep the anime when it comes back.

Gnome

Honestly, I like this arc the most. Every single arc has been a weird tonal shift, rife with different and new plots, editor meddling, and outright strange plot twist.

But even with all that shit up to the extreme (especially the editor meddling), I think it's in the best area. It's far more self aware, far more daring (but without real deaths because KUBOOO), and the fights feel more clever.

And the pacing is far too fast, but that's fine for our friend Kubo, who likes to pump out chapters with just white space and no advancement.

These things are problems for others, and that's perfectly fine, but I've found myself enjoying my read throughs every week. I can't wait to see what insane bullshit is on the way.

HELL YEAH.

This arc, just like this series, has had its ups and downs. Right now it's on an up, but I'm not expecting that to last. LOL KUBO

Well if it ever ends, then I think I'll binge read it all. I always sort of enjoyed Kubo's ability to hype shit, even if a lot of hype isn't realized to it's potential. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to read it weekly when some weeks have no advancement, I think its why I quit in the first place, some weeks weren't worth the wait and I just slowly forgot about it.

clever fights?

you mean the fights were one guy gets the upper hand then tells his opponent how his ability works and proceeds to lose because he just told his enemy how to beat him?

it's even worse because the characters constantly call out the fact they keep blurting out how their abilities work yet they all keep doing it.

clever fights?

you mean the fights were one guy gets the upper hand then tells his opponent how his ability works and proceeds to lose because he just told his enemy how to beat him?

it's even worse because the characters constantly call out the fact they keep blurting out how their abilities work yet they all keep doing it.

Rose had no idea Masked would do that, but it was one of those 'THIS IS WHY YOU DONT TELL SOMEONE ABOUT YOUR POWER" lampshaded moments.

Bambi's whole thing was that it didn't matter if Shinji could flip things backwards, as she doesn't need to aim.

And Askin had no idea that Tenjiro or whatever his name is could replace blood.

I mean, it's kinda self aware, and that doesn't excuse how things play out, I'm just saying I enjoy it.

Yado

tumblr_lzzy6gQJjS1r2kopzo1_500.gif

These guys are the best characters in Bleach (Hiyori sucks but w/e). So much wasted potential. :/

Jarnet87

tumblr_lzzy6gQJjS1r2kopzo1_500.gif

These guys are the best characters in Bleach (Hiyori sucks but w/e). So much wasted potential. :/

yeah they were pretty awesome, then Kubo gonna Kubo and just toss them to the side.

Soul Society Rescue is probably the best Arc. We had Ichigo and his friends when they were still relevant, Ichigo taking on a new tougher challenge at each step, plus the stuff with Aizen.

jonno394

I still read Bleach each week, it's actually the only manga I read. Best arcs were definitely the Soul Society Rescue but I also really liked the Turn Back the Pendulum arc and the back story of the Visoreds.

yeah they were pretty awesome, then Kubo gonna Kubo and just toss them to the side.

Soul Society Rescue is probably the best Arc. We had Ichigo and his friends when they were still relevant, Ichigo taking on a new tougher challenge at each step, plus the stuff with Aizen.

Bullshit. As soon as Uryu and Chad got bodied that was it for them for the rest of the arc.

Its been a Shinigami show since.

Jarnet87

Bullshit. As soon as Uryu and Chad got bodied that was it for them for the rest of the arc.

Its been a Shinigami show since.

they were somewhat relevant in the arc lol. I forgot if Chad did anything but Kyoraku wrecked him, and then Uryu took on a captain and won. I suppose they played a bit part in the rescue Orihime arc too.

Dysun

The 1000 year blood war arc was good until it devolved into periphery characters fighting random baddies for the 80th time

Zoe

What are the spoiler rules? All other manga threads have everything in the open once scans are out.

Ronin Ray

Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong but when the Anime had it last episode I heard the manga still had one arc left. So I started to read the last arc until I hit the latest issue out. I thought to myself I will just let the last arc finish and read it when it's over. That was like at least 2 years ago ( Probably longer) and this shit is still going!!! Please someone tell me I am wrong and they haven't dragged this thing out to death.

Can anyone please correct me if I am wrong but when the Anime had it last episode I heard the manga still had one arc left. So I started to read the last arc until I hit the latest issue out. I thought to myself I will just let the last arc finish and read it when it's over. That was like at least 2 years ago ( Probably longer) and this shit is still going!!! Please someone tell me I am wrong and they haven't dragged this thing out to death.

Pretty sure Kubo said that this arc will be the longest arc in Bleach or on par with the Arrancar arc in terms of length so it is gonna be pretty long, it does feel like he has been slightly rushing things as of late though.

LordCanti

It seems like they
let them invade the palace but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. The technique (Kamikake) on the ground seems like something that is just destined to be the trump card that is rendered moot (before Ichigo does the shonen hero thing he's destined to do).

He hasn't had a decent idea since Aizen went down years ago.

Ronin Ray

Pretty sure Kubo said that this arc will be the longest arc in Bleach or on par with the Arrancar arc in terms of length so it is gonna be pretty long, it does feel like he has been slightly rushing things as of late though.

Thanks!! I don't mind if it's long I just hope they don't drag it out. I will look forward to reading it and 3 more years lol

Ronin Ray

It seems like they
let them invade the palace but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. The technique (Kamikake) on the ground seems like something that is just destined to be the trump card that is rendered moot (before Ichigo does the shonen hero thing he's destined to do).

He hasn't had a decent idea since Aizen went down years ago.

Dang but Aizen was pretty dope you know. I guess I have to just remember the good old days

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Sales are strong enough that it is likely. No word yet but most of animeGAF predicts they will wait until the manga finishes its final arc and then do something ala Inuyasha: The Final Act.

It might be interesting if they reset the series like HxH and start from vol. 1 for the anime.

It might be interesting if they reset the series like HxH and start from vol. 1 for the anime.

No way, it's way too long for that shit. Besides, in terms of the animation quality, the Bleach anime was never slouched for the bigger fights/showdowns. The first fight between Grimmjow and Ichigo, which was relatively insignificant, was so incredibly animated. Unless they're about fundamentally changing the stories, there's no real point. HxH was well over 10 years old before they remade it anyway.

Jarnet87

the anime holds up, doubt it would be redone all over again. Smart to just wait til the manga is over to avoid having to do fillers.

Joni

Chapters like these are the reason to keep reading Bleach. Another wonderful technique that looks amazing.

Weren't the quincys all death? where are these guys coming from? and somebody mentioned that half the old baddies got resurrected? how?

Mesoian

Weren't the quincys all death? where are these guys coming from? and somebody mentioned that half the old baddies got resurrected? how?

Baddies from older arcs? They're Mayuri's zombies. I'm actually glad they're back and being used because I had some form of emotional attachment to them and was bummed when they were tossed out like so much garbage.

Baddies from current arcs? They're quincy #4532-whocares zombies

The quincy's being all dead was a rouse, sort of. It seems that Yawch is the last true quincy and is so godly powerful that he can strip himself of his individual powers one by one and give them form, mind and personality. And when those quincy dies, they return to his body and he gets more power. He can also divert his powers into his subordinates as he sees fit.

This is a shitty villain.

This arc isn't actually happening. Everyone is under the spell of Kyoka Suigetsu.

The super dumb thing is that this may actually be true.

Remember when Hollowfication was important, or relevant, or useful?

Eusis

I suspect most of the quincies are survivors of when Yhwach recalled his soul portions from mixed bloods, and decided to heal them, grant them a portion of his soul (again), and enlist them in his services. Though there was some hinting that there's actual senority among them so who knows, guess it depends on when and how he found some of these (getting random people around the world he thought were worthy? Doesn't seem like Kubo gives a damn about filling in that blank.)

And I don't really buy ANYONE being dead until the manga's over or at least their body's obliterated in a very undeniable way. Especially those captains who became "zombies", it seems that happened while alive and is a matter of contaminated blood, and we have a guy who can replace blood in the body anyway so that'd probably restore them instantly when the conflict's over, nevermind any number of other asspulls that can be performed.

Top Bottom