• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst Mario Kart tracks?

Mount Wario. Visually, so boring.

nene_look.jpg

mclem

cIJptdL.png

I'd love to believe that that's why he got banned.

And on the subject of Rainbow Road, another from the earlier life of this thread:

The original Rainbow Road on SNES. It was blinding, you couldn't see where Items were, the track was narrow as hell, and you could only play it on 150cc, meaning it was so fast that you really had to be careful around corners. It sucks ass.

You can play Special Cup on 100cc. Not 50, though.

Forkball

Top three worse tracks in MK8D

Neo Bowser City: I hated this map in MK7 and I hate it here. So many turns that don't have any flow to them and it basically baits you into hurling yourself off the track. Visually there's nothing really signifying specific segments of the track, everything looks the same which contributes to you essentially forgetting what comes next.

Sherbet Land: This map is a visual mess in terms of differentiating landmarks or signs. Everything is the same color and it's hard to see where turns are and which areas are off road. Not to mention many of the obstacles seem randomly placed. Furthermore, the last area is just a big open space so it's hard to tell where to go exactly.

Grumble Volcano: It has an alright gimmick of having split courses, but overall it's very boring and like the other two, a bit confusing visually concerning where you should be turning.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Luigi's Circuit is probably the worst first track in the series. Long and boring. (On the flip, MK8's is great and doesn't at all suffer from being track 1) But it's also a beginner track so I suppose I should cut it some slack.

Kalimari Desert is also rather unremarkable. Once you get over the train gimmick (which isn't even utilised that well) and the fact you can go down the tunnel (which is rather pointless) there's nothing much to write home about.

This was all rather highlighted in Mario Kart 7 where these two retro tracks do feel rather weak compared to the rest of the package.

Need to revisit a lot of the older games to judge their tracks fairly.

mclem

Choco Mountain from MK64 is an abomination. Possibly the single ugliest thing Nintendo have ever released. Shit brown, shit brown, more shit brown and some fog. Just terrible.

I think it's an okay course, and that climactic sequence with the hairpin with boulders falling around is great - but yes, the visual is absolutely disastrous.

XandBosch

Damn, so many Baby Park haters. That was ALWAYS our go-to track on DD and it's just as good on MK8. It's fucking crazy and hilarious.

mclem

Can I cheat and say all of Mario Kart Advance?

But Mario Kart Super Circuit has all the SNES tracks too!

SNES Ghost Valley 2 - If you get hit by a blue shell, there's no coming back due to the short length of each lap

There aren't any blue shells in the SNES iteration.

On which note, I think I'd quite like to see the old red shell AI back - not smart enough to follow the track, so aren't just fire-and-forget, but still a step up over green shells.

Indeed, I wonder if it'd work quite well with blue shells having their behaviour replaced with the new red shell AI

I really don't like Yoshi Circuit from Double Dash, which is shaped like Yoshi.

Sometimes I really get into a flow that kill that track by perfectly drifting and boosting every turn, but most of the time I just mess up because there are so many swerves. I hit walls and drive onto grass so much in that track.

There's nobody to really blame but myself, but I don't like racing that track at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
B button.

Naw bruh, pump up that super eurobeat and brake while drifting.

On topic, I can't particularly think of any aside from one or two in 64, but even that's mostly because I don't like how the karts handle in 64.

Edit: ooh! Dry Dry Desert! Most boring track possibly in the entire franchise. Super disappointed when they brought it back for MK8.

You have no determination.

Use the brake drift.

Lmao I responded to the post twice. Don't remember this thread nor noticed the date.

Implying that I don't know how to use brake mechanic for 200cc. Unfortunately for all of you, I have been playing Mario Kart 8 & Deluxe with KartGAF ever since like few years, and I won first place few times on that map against pretty darn good players.

It's so weird that people who seemly don't agree with someone's opinions about the tracks, always assumes that they are pretty bad with the game like no skills or don't know how to use brake mechanic. Also people actually forget the fact that many (or all) tracks were designed for 150cc in developers' mindsets, not 200cc.

sugarless

I dunno...Banshee Boardwalk?

Can we also talk about awful this track name is? It's like they knew they were committed to using as much cutesy alliteration as possible but thought for some reason that using Banshee as a synonym for Ghost was a good idea. Why not just Boo's Boardwalk?

gosox333

I think Grumble Volcano is special due to it's ability to be one of the funnest tracks on 150cc or lower and then turn into the most unfun and stressful thing ever in 200cc.

Cepheus

I hate that new desert map in MK8 (sand that slows you down everywhere), and honestly, the new Bowser's Castle as well.

I didn't like the Wii Rainbow Road either, though I think that's more to do with the fact that that was back when you could vote for any track you wanted online which resulted in Rainbow Road being picked literally every single time and I got sick of it.

I think Grumble Volcano is special due to it's ability to be one of the funnest tracks on 150cc or lower and then turn into the most unfun and stressful thing ever in 200cc.

That's 200cc in a nutshell, though.

Can we also talk about awful this track name is? It's like they knew they were committed to using as much cutesy alliteration as possible but thought for some reason that using Banshee as a synonym for Ghost was a good idea. Why not just Boo's Boardwalk?

This is coming from the same people who went with "Music Park" for the US instead of the far more excellent "Melody Motorway". They don't make sense some times.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
That cheese track is perhaps the only one I truly hate in MK8D.

kromeo

8 is the first one I've played since 64 but the ones I'm really disliking are Ice outpost and the one with the trains/trams?

Grumble Volcano: It has an alright gimmick of having split courses, but overall it's very boring and like the other two, a bit confusing visually concerning where you should be turning.

I'd put my vote towards Grumble Volcano as well.

In a game filled with visually colourful and diverse tracks, this track is just so uninspired.

"hey so we have this volcano level. Should we do something cool like an antigrav track going around the volcano, or maybe add some colourful elements to keep the track interesting?"

"Nah just make it drab brown and red."

Cepheus

8 is the first one I've played since 64 but the ones I'm really disliking are Ice outpost and the one with the trains/trams?

I forgot about Ice Ice Outpost. Yeah, it looks more like a track out of one of the HotWheels PS2 games (which incidentally MK8 stole a lot from. The optional perpendicular sideways wall sections of tracks are ripped right out of them).

I'd put my vote towards Grumble Volcano as well.

In a game filled with visually colourful and diverse tracks, this track is just so uninspired.

"hey so we have this volcano level. Should we do something cool like an antigrav track going around the volcano, or maybe add some colourful elements to keep the track interesting?"

"Nah just make it drab brown and red."

To be fair, it's a retro track, so they were stuck with the original design. With that said, I think there's much greater potential with a volcano track for sure

Mohasus

Baby Park and Excitebike Arena are two of the most boring tracks on the game.

Also, most tracks suck at 200cc, and I say this as someone who 3-starred every 200cc championship.

Neiteio

I really don't like Yoshi Circuit from Double Dash, which is shaped like Yoshi.

Sometimes I really get into a flow that kill that track by perfectly drifting and boosting every turn, but most of the time I just mess up because there are so many swerves. I hit walls and drive onto grass so much in that track.

There's nobody to really blame but myself, but I don't like racing that track at all.
If you're talking about the winding section at the end with the Piranha Plants, I treat it like a straightaway, bisecting the turns. You can minimize turning there while staying on the road.

If you're talking about the winding section at the end with the Piranha Plants, I treat it like a straightaway, bisecting the turns. You can minimize turning there while staying on the road.
Yep. Just gotta focus on the left coming up. I would also nominate Todd's Turnpike. Always groaned whenever it came up but at least it wasn't as dull as Dry Dry Desert.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
These are the ones I usually cringe the most at:

Toad's Turnpike
Sunshine Airport
Yoshi Valley
Daisy Cruiser
Coconut Mall

Mario Kart 8: Every track from the GameCube game, especially Dry Dry Desert but also including Baby Park which is pretty boring in MK8 outside of frantic mode. They don't even have atmosphere and music going for them, which saves many otherwise boring tracks (like Toad's Turnpike, Rainbow Road, and many other N64 tracks). Also Excitebike Arena and Grumble Volcano.

All Wario-themed tracks that aren't Wario Colosseum or the Shipyard from MK7.

N64 Choco Mountain and Frappe Snowland

Can't really think of any others that I dislike--I may be indifferent to them, but that isn't dislike.

Sticking to MK8...

Water Park - just uninteresting all around
Electrodrome - I want to like it, but the track design is poop
DS Wario Stadium - feels like no matter your skill, items decide the result
Excitebike Arena - I like it in concept, but it's very boring

azyless

Whichever Yoshi track on the DS (I think) is just a plain ovale with nothing interesting in the way.
Think Baby Park but so big that the fun of it is sucked away.

I hate Toad's turnpike as well.

Dazzler

All the snow/ice themed tracks in Mario Kart 64 always seemed like trash to me

In the more recent games, Daisy Cruiser stuck out as being particularly egregious

SNES: Donut Plains 3. That stupid ass second broken bridge. Both later versions fixed the fuck-up so that's nice.

N64: Wario Stadium. It has several jumps that invalidate the track's length, kinda like Rainbow Road but with worse music. And that stupid ass gap near the end.

GBA: Lakeside Park. Mainly because I had so much trouble getting wins and keeping coins with those stupid ass rocks.

GC: Peach Beach. It's basically a bigger, less chaotic Baby Park. That's no fun. The Cataquacks might as well not even be there.

DS: Figure-8 Circuit. It was mentioned earlier, but it's completely obsolete now that 8's Mario Circuit exists. Even Toad's Turnpike was more interesting. GCN Baby Park was nerfed to 5 laps so that's my worst retro track from DS.

Wii: Wario's Gold Mine. Stupid ass bats. Stupid ass carts. Stupid ass hills. Stupid ass music. MK8 fixed two of these. For the retro side, GBA Shy Guy Beach can fuck right off with those stupid ass cannonballs.

3DS: Rosalina's Ice World. Stupid ass name aside, the half pipe would've made this a better Wii track than a 7 one. And there's not much going on here besides that. 7 in general has the problem of not much going on but it's probably at its worst here. Worst retro track would be GCN Dino Dino Jungle, but that's really only because it's the worst of the ones they brought back with no big changes (jumping the train in Kalimari for example).

Wii U: Bone-Dry Dunes. This is mostly for aesthetics. I don't like the color scheme or the sand. And that last turn gets on my nerves. For retro tracks, GCN Dry Dry Desert is my worst. They took everything interesting about the original (which wasn't much) and nerfed it, while adding water. Water's fine, but did you have to take out the tornado? Did the colors have to look so washed out?

Implying that I don't know how to use brake mechanic for 200cc. Unfortunately for all of you, I have been playing Mario Kart 8 & Deluxe with KartGAF ever since like few years, and I won first place few times on that map against pretty darn good players.

It's so weird that people who seemly don't agree with someone's opinions about the tracks, always assumes that they are pretty bad with the game like no skills or don't know how to use brake mechanic. Also people actually forget the fact that many (or all) tracks were designed for 150cc in developers' mindsets, not 200cc.

You're right, I should have said that I diasgree and that was what I get out of it. It definitely becomes way more tense about the driving. I can respect the difference in opinion since I seem to thrive on stress and mild irritation in games. Definitely did not mean to imply you had zero skills because that course is one of the few in 200cc I haven't been able to run through without braking.

On topic, I would probably be nominating more Super Circuit tracks if it hadn't been my first Mario Kart. Peach and Mario circuit are a one-two punch of dull that I somehow still appreciate.

I gotta jump into say that the baby park level is the worst thing ever.
THE.ABSOLUTE.WORST.
Getting hit by a bajillion items every 2 seconds while racing around a short, flat course just isn't my idea of fun in an MK game.

Yoshi valley
Yoshi circuit
Choco mountain
Neo Bowser City
Any ice level

UGH, I can't stand this level, especially when the speed increases. Those sharp turns become a nightmare! T.T

Top Bottom