• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fall Update for Xbox One starting to roll out today

Lol. My Xbox now constantly turns on by itself... Glad Xbone X is coming... Hopefully OS performs better there.

Also what’s up with intro video suggesting that I can plug in any webcam?! Is it just big FU to kinect?

KageMaru

Its definite the HDR to SDR conversion that the system is doing. It must be mapping the HDR color scale incorrectly to the SDR or just assuming all 4k is HDR enabled. Its too bad there isnt a toggle or something in a setting screen. I mean the 4K details screen says if there is HDR or not - must not extend to the Blu-Ray app.

That's what I was wondering too. Are people experiencing this just on 4k TVs or those with 4K HDR TVs as well.

sKiTz

Seems to me that with this update they have messed up HDR detection your tv supports hdr so you see no issue myself and others without HDR seem to have this issue and did not yesterday.

And it’s definitely the system as myself and others with stand alone players on same setup have no playback issues. They definitely broke something! And have completely ignored it for months as I first reported this in preview sceral months back many time and submitted reports on it.

Ahhh yep I understand now, that’s why I was confused because I’ve had this build for ages and have watched several 4k Blu rays and even tested it again after reading your issue.

Surely they will release a fix quick smart, I’m actually surprised they’ve ignored your reports as the team seems pretty on the ball, now it’s been tweeted I hope they are working on it for those effected.

There seems to be some strange glitch where Gamerscore is lost after installing the update. My Gamerscore just dropped about 200,000 points and a lot of Xbox One games show 0/1000, but still show the the unlocked achievements in the Game Hub. I’ve read on TrueAchievements that others have had this issue after installing the previous Insider builds. Hopefully it’s just a server issue and it will sync back up.

My HDR OLED is also washing out the blacks. So it's not a HDR to SDR conversion problem.

Actually don't worry, for whatever reason HDR didn't activate, it was displaying SDR. So it definitely seems to effect sets that don't support HDR.

gossi

There seems to be some strange glitch where Gamerscore is lost after installing the update. My Gamerscore just dropped about 200,000 points and a lot of Xbox One games show 0/1000, but still show the the unlocked achievements in the Game Hub. I’ve read on TrueAchievements that others have had this issue after installing the previous Insider builds. Hopefully it’s just a server issue and it will sync back up.

I had this. I loaded Gears of War and it unlocked all the achievements.

I'm pleased I saw this thread as I have an S coming today primarily as a 4K bluray player. Looks like I'll be returning and not buying until the app's sorted

Yoday

i tweeted about it and have to reply later with some info they want me to display with the bluray app. But i reported this over and over when i was still in preview program. I left because of this and when my consoles rolled back playback was perfect but here we are they release this into the wild now i cant roll back to anything.
Have you tried messing with your settings? It looks like a conflict with black level settings to me.

Lol. My Xbox now constantly turns on by itself... Glad Xbone X is coming... Hopefully OS performs better there.

Also what’s up with intro video suggesting that I can plug in any webcam?! Is it just big FU to kinect?

Mine was doing this for a while before the update. Quite annoying to hear it beep and whir up the fans for no reason.

For the webcam, you can use it for Twitch streaming and other video apps but you need a seperate Microphone because obviously there's no directional mics like Kinect.

Great stuff. Love the redesign of the guide button. But I was hoping to receive the refunds or gifting functionalities that are currently in Preview.

The Shift

Banned
Fluent Design (brutal) is sort of meh - tone down the border thickness and 'glow' effect by 50% and it might be usable.

And it's not consistent - Games with Gold controls/view doesn't apply Fluent Design at all.

Why go backward to superfluous crap like that glow effect anyway - just because? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than a throwback/retro callback to days gone past website design, like a cheap and nasty jQuery menu effect:

http://patnakajima.com/jquery-glow/

zip stick

Fluent Design (brutal) is sort of meh - tone down the border thickness and 'glow' effect by 50% and it might be usable.

And it's not consistent - Games with Gold controls/view doesn't apply Fluent Design at all.

Why go backward to superfluous crap like that glow effect anyway - just because? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than a throwback/retro callback to days gone past website design, like a cheap and nasty jQuery menu effect:

http://patnakajima.com/jquery-glow/

Going for that media centre look I guess, seems to be quite common with Kodi skins.

The Shift

Banned
Going for that media centre look I guess, seems to be quite common with Kodi skins.

I think I'm being too critical I suppose, it probably works well on a big tv where the viewer is 6-10 feet away. I have my xbox connected to a 27" monitor at about a metre distance from my eyes so that style of effect and bolded borders really overwhelms.

I shouldn't worry though - MS will change it in 12 months anyway.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Have they removed favourites from the friends list? I had 8 people I play frequently with on it and now its gone. With over 100 people on my friends I've got to do a shit load of scrolling to find them.

Thebonehead

Banned
Just updated my son's Xbox and enabled network transfer. His Xbox isn't in the preview programme.

It pulled the updates from mine for Windows store and the 4k updates.

Excellent feature.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Have they removed favourites from the friends list? I had 8 people I play frequently with on it and now its gone. With over 100 people on my friends I've got to do a shit load of scrolling to find them.

Should be at the top of the friends list

EvB

excuse the phone pic but it gets the issue across. Before the fall update blurays looked the same as my stand alone now its messed up just like it was and way i left the alpha program and other issues.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Stand alone samsung 4K and how Xbox looked before update
Sru22w4.jpg

I don’t have this problem.

What TV and Xbox Settings are you using?
Have you enabled full range RGB on the Xbox?

It's fast but I think I like the layout of the previous UI better. It takes more presses to get to my pins.

I find the customization pins on the home page too big, its honestly annoying and ugly. Who likes this? Im all for customization but the actual layout of it is absolutely horrible.

I like the xbox quick menu though, i find its a lot better. Settings menu is also better. But the home page? Its horrible. I dunno who approved this but its fucking bad.

Also, that new community page is hella confusing now. Theres too much all mashed up together. Also much better before.

EvB

I’ve found that I don’t really use those new bits at the bottom. It’s all about the guide. Even pins get accessed from there now for me

I updated mine last night and was able to customize it. I like the new quick menu, fast loading of My Games/Apps. The new Blocks will be something to get used to, but I removed everything and only "Blocked" certain games.

As along as the dash is quicker and displays the Games/Apps faster, then I'm happy.

I also hope they improve on the network. What I mean by this, is when I'm downloading a game, speeds can be around 100MB, then all of the suddent drop to 5MB, then back to 75MB, then drop down again. Dont understand why the speeds cant stay steady. No, it's not my internet service since I have a 1GB line and every other device on my network downloads just fine.

i enjoy the new update and i use the Light Theme. I also changed my custom back ground to a solid color where it also acts to show recent art from the latest game/app i just opened/played.

Home button opens up the guide very fast for me and i am happy about that. My home page is ugly though. I dont have anything except my recent apps and then my pins lol. oh well idc i dont spend much time there anyway.

i like the new update and nothing seems confusing.

I'm in love with this new update thus far! The new guide is really quick and useful, and the design overall is simple and fast. My only complaint is that I haven't really found a use for the "add to home" function yet. For my needs, Pins accomplish the same thing with less clutter. Anyone else use this yet and find value in it?

I'm in love with this new update thus far! The new guide is really quick and useful, and the design overall is simple and fast. My only complaint is that I haven't really found a use for the "add to home" function yet. For my needs, Pins accomplish the same thing with less clutter. Anyone else use this yet and find value in it?

Not me, i too find that adding shit there just adds too much clutter. I have my pins and thats it. Its a nice idea with a terrible execution.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I love the new UI and upgrades but holy hell at that new vs old 4K tv playback bug. I’ll try a 4K disc and standard blu-ray after work today to see if mine is borked too.

Jumeira

Banned
Im excited about the transfer/backup feature for Xbox X, is there any videos out there to help with some of the options? I know you can do a full backup, but can you break it down to select games only?

MrBenchmark

Have you tried messing with your settings? It looks like a conflict with black level settings to me.
That won’t fix anything in fact you’d have to over compensate so much everything else would be screwed. Everything was perfectly fine before this update.

MrBenchmark

I don’t have this problem.

What TV and Xbox Settings are you using?
Have you enabled full range RGB on the Xbox?
Makes no difference AGAIN everything was fine before this update.

I PERSONALLY reported this issue thru out the Alpha wave they ignored it. It’s why I left the program and spent 300 on a stand alone 4K player which works perfectly with my setup.

They released this broken ass update without fixing it and many people with TVs without HDR now will have useless 4K playback out of there One S units.

arhra

Im excited about the transfer/backup feature for Xbox X, is there any videos out there to help with some of the options? I know you can do a full backup, but can you break it down to select games only?

This video gives a pretty good run-down of how the bulk transfer tool works. It's not really a "backup" tool per se, it's more just a better way to handle copying/moving large numbers of items to an external drive (or another Xbox across the network if you want to use the network transfer). You can select as much or as little as you want from one drive/system to copy/move to another drive/system, then once you set it going it'll just add them to the queue in My games & apps like any other copy/move/install operation (it just saves you having to queue them all up manually).

There's a new feature for backing up settings (although the list of settings which are backed up is weirdly limited), which is in Settings -> System -> Backup & transfer -> Back up my settings. That's all fairly self-explanatory once you open it up. Your settings are backed up to an external game drive (if you have multiple there's a chooser so you can pick which one), and there's an option to keep the backup current so you don't have to worry about re-doing it in case you change some settings before your X arrives.

The Backup & transfer section in the settings also has the option to enable network transfer, and the option to enable downloading of 4k game content ahead of the X launch.

ss_lemonade

excuse the phone pic but it gets the issue across. Before the fall update blurays looked the same as my stand alone now its messed up just like it was and way i left the alpha program and other issues.

fall update
UGOKE26.jpg

Stand alone samsung 4K and how Xbox looked before update
Sru22w4.jpg
Is this with HDR enabled on the xbox one?

f@luS

More than a member.
Is it new ? Didn’t use my Xbox One S much recently

I have Xbox One game / Xbox 360 and Xbox One X enchanted. Gears of wars 4 is already in it (though I have halo 5 forza 7 ans fh3 they don’t appear )

MrBenchmark

Is this with HDR enabled on the xbox one?
Oh man.....

Xbox one autodetects settings there is no HDR on/off your tv either has it which is were you turn it on or off.

I HAVE a Vizio P55 2014 model no HDR

my son has a LG 4k no HDR

Both do this since this update NOT before everything was Perfect!

My 300 dollar Samsung 4K player works perfect as did the Xbox one S Before this broken fucking update which I reported to these assholes over and over. Left the program restored my Xbox to previous software all was good AGAIN now they released this piece of shit and didn’t fix the broken HDR detection. But on top of that even the dashboard background which should be black looks more brown not like this before this update.

It’s the update not my setup as it’s even the same with my sons setup and he has a different tv and no AVR but direct connection between Xbox and his tv.

Oh man.....

Xbox one autodetects settings there is no HDR on/off your tv either has it which is were you turn it on or off.

I HAVE a Vizio P55 2014 model no HDR

my son has a LG 4k no HDR

Both do this since this update NOT before everything was Perfect!

My 300 dollar Samsung 4K player works perfect as did the Xbox one S Before this broken fucking update which I reported to these assholes over and over. Left the program restored my Xbox to previous software all was good AGAIN now they released this piece of shit and didn't fix the broken HDR detection. But on top of that even the dashboard background which should be black looks more brown not like this before this update.

It's the update not my setup as it's even the same with my sons setup and he has a different tv and no AVR but direct connection between Xbox and his tv.

Shit.

I need to test some 4k blu rays when I go home.

Still can't hurt to mess with all your settings and try to see if you can get it back to normal. I know it sounds stupid, but weird glitches happen. Maybe you'll get lucky and something will work.

Bringing this over to the new page as I am getting some repetitive questions.

I have the 4k fifth element as well. Will test when I get home.

MrBenchmark

Shit.

I need to test some 4k blu rays when I go home.

Still can't hurt to mess with all your settings and try to see if you can get it back to normal. I know it sounds stupid, but weird glitches happen. Maybe you'll get lucky and something will work.
If I compensate for the movie the next game I go to play will look fucked.

I’m not screwing with a professional calibration because there software is broken.

xrnzaaas

I also hope they improve on the network. What I mean by this, is when I'm downloading a game, speeds can be around 100MB, then all of the suddent drop to 5MB, then back to 75MB, then drop down again. Dont understand why the speeds cant stay steady. No, it's not my internet service since I have a 1GB line and every other device on my network downloads just fine.

I may be wrong, but I think it's because it's downloading and installing game at the same time so it can slow down if a game has lots of small files.

Top Bottom