• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Party: The Top 100 trailer featuring game modes and boards

Zalman

The board game looks kind of bland, but I love the idea of having the best of Mario Party in one game. I didn't buy any of the other 3DS ones, but I'll probably get this.

BizzyBum

I would get this if I had 3 friends who actually own a 3DS and who would meet up regularly. Being older that will never happen so no point buying this to play solo which is why it's such a bummer there's no online play.

Still hoping a new MP for Switch has it.

-shadow-

Damn it Nintendo... Why not in the Switch? This is the type of game we needed this holiday season for the family!

To bash each others brains in after the presents!

Pay2Win, just with amiibo instead of digital DLC. Nintendo is just as shitty a publisher as the other big entities when it comes to this stuff.

What? This is a local multi game. Just ask the other person to not use it. Are you trying to imply this is the same as loot boxes for online multiplayer games?

Seriously, I don't even like amiibo, but people love to stretch things to criticize them. Amiibo isn't even locking content in this game.

What? This is a local multi game. Just ask the other person to not use it. Are you trying to imply this is the same as loot boxes for online multiplayer games?

Seriously, I don't even like amiibo, but people love to stretch things to criticize them. Amiibo isn't even locking content in this game.
Even then, the ones that give you lives or coins are just for Minigame Island which seems to be single player. Only the minigame packs seem to be for multiplayer

Shiggy

The ๖ۜBronx;252314987 said:
Yeh, sorry, did I mess up the font size? I just don't see how the amiibo are an issue if it isn't.

Ah, thought it was a reply to "Nintendo is just as shitty a publisher as the other big entities when it comes to this stuff.", because of course it won't have online multiplayer lol

Maybe on Switch we will get an online mode...

That trailer just unsold me on this. It really is just the minigame mode of the other Mario Parties with no board game mode. No excuse for not having the best board from each game included too.

Jubenhimer

Yeah, this too.

Can't stand amiibo's. I wish they would just go away but they're going to stick around for at least the entire lifespan of the Switch, too.

Amiibo is nothing more than a tool, it's not good or bad on it's own. It's all up to how developers use it. There's plenty of games with good amiibo support like Mario Odyssey or the recent Mario and Luigi: SS remake. And yes, there are games with bad amiibo support like this one or Samus Returns.

Point is, we shouldn't take it out on amiibo as a whole, it's the lazy, cynical implementations we should specifically be targeting and the developers behind them.

sigh. i just wanted the traditional board rules from mp 1-8.

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't happen but that's what I wanted as well. The minigames have mostly been fine in the newer releases, it's the boards that have suffered.

Also, the amiibo stuff here is gross. At least it doesn't affect other players since there's no online... but the fact that there is no online is actually a bit of a problem. Just a mode that allows you to play minigames with random players online (doesn't have to be the boards) would be nice.

Amiibo is nothing more than a tool, it's not good or bad on it's own. It's all up to how developers use it. There's plenty of games with good amiibo support like Mario Odyssey or the recent Mario and Luigi: SS remake. And yes, there are games with bad amiibo support like this one or Samus Returns.

Point is, we shouldn't take it out on amiibo as a whole, it's the lazy, cynical implementations we should specifically be targeting and the developers behind them.

This is worth remembering. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly up to the developers to decide how amiibos work in their games. Many games have made amiibos work well and the figures themselves are of good quality and wouldn't even need to come with the ability to add DLC to games in order for me to buy them.

RedToad64

That trailer just unsold me on this. It really is just the minigame mode of the other Mario Parties with no board game mode. No excuse for not having the best board from each game included too.
There are clearly boards in the trailer, though they look to be in the style of Star Rush’s boards, rather than traditional Mario Party.

There are clearly boards in the trailer, though they look to be in the style of Star Rush’s boards, rather than traditional Mario Party.

This game is a celebration of the top 100 minigames of the 10 console Mario Parties. I want boards from those, not star rush "boards" which are not like a board game at all and don't make up for the void in my heart for the boards from Mario Party 1-8. :(

Yukinari

When people said they want boards they meant the actual boards these beloved minigames are from.

It would be like adding the duel boards from MP3 which are incredibly bare bones and nothing like the actual game.

Pay2Win, just with amiibo instead of digital DLC. Nintendo is just as shitty a publisher as the other big entities when it comes to this stuff.

It's also becoming really obvious now that they want you to get the latest versions of them as well for the "big bonuses" as the old ones just give you supremely minor bonuses (+10 coins for the old series, but +50 coins with the new ones!)

Eh, I feel if they had the boards I'll be interested, but I'll pass. Some of the games they've selected to be in the top 100 are sketchy choices as well

Look, this idea had the potential to be great. But I would want to be able to play regular, themed boards like in first few Mario Parties. These don't appear to be that?

Furthermore, the joy of Mario Party is really having it on the big screen in front of you with a bunch of friends and family sitting next to you. I'm sorry but I just absolutely do not want to have that shoved onto a tiny handheld device like the 3DS. At least the Switch screen would be bigger in handheld mode. But we really should've been getting this on switch for the TV mode to relive the glory days of Mario Party.

I don't know... This just seems like a big swing and a miss to me. Which is honestly sad because this is a produce I COULD have loved!

Sponge

Banned
I felt like this game had potential, but alas ND Cube strikes again. We can't ever get a Mario Party like when Hudson was developing the series.

What happened to most of Mario's spinoff titles? Party, Tennis, Paper Mario, so many have dropped in quality.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
If this was on Switch I would have preordered it automatically. Sadly I don't have three friends who play their 3DS any more...

Stopdoor

Doesn't even look much like Star Rushes boards to me except maybe being barely a grid or something? That game had a lot of unique board mechanics that don't seem to be here.

Really sucks they seem to be charging full price for this when it seems less fully featured than Star Rush. Really not sure the large set of minigames makes it up or not.

Bardiche

sigh. i just wanted the traditional board rules from mp 1-8.

Hopefully, we'll get traditional boards when we get a Mario Party for the Switch.

I'm fine with this being on the 3DS since it's not very impressive. The trailer further confirms that this will be lackluster release will no lasting power.

Z..

Only four posts in and we're port begging.

The Switch will get a Mario Party in due time.

I don't see it as port begging. Not in this case. This release makes no sense at all on 3DS. I love me some Mario Party, but goddamnit, not on 3DS!

Roo

Only four posts in and we're port begging.

The Switch will get a Mario Party in due time.
You have to admit that the idea of a HD Mario Party game with 100 of the best games of the entire franchise is not that bad. The newest games have not be precisely good.

Yukinari

I felt like this game had potential, but alas ND Cube strikes again. We can't ever get a Mario Party like when Hudson was developing the series.

What happened to most of Mario's spinoff titles? Party, Tennis, Paper Mario, so many have dropped in quality.

The excuses for how the series changed as well are unacceptable.

"We need to speed up the pace of the series"

So i guess throw everyone into a car, make linear boards and throw out any of the depth the series had?

CEJames

I would love another Mario Tennis RPG like it was on the gameboy.

Blues1990

I know opinions on the board game part of the series is mixed (at best), but I think we can all agree that even the worst entries have decent minigames. To have a Mario Party entry that's dedicated to a “greatest-hits” collection really seems like a no brainer.

Top Bottom