• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Velius

Banned
Running around crashing things and scaring people in the original Assassin's Creed game is more fun than any of the Assassin's Creed games.

Naughty Dog makes one game, over and over again. That's all they ever do. Each game they release should be called "Naughty Dog Project: 8".

Same thing with TES/Fallout. They should just be called "Bethesda Game Part 9"

Listening to people defend the GF/Erased memory arc in Final Fantasy VIII is worse than listening to people try to justify and maneuver around the Star Wars prequel continuity fuck ups.

The Final Fantasy VII remake is going to suck ass, and it's partly because it's going to be censored to hell. Part of what made the game so popular was how outrageous it could be.

Ocarina of Time is the least good game of the mainline series.

Quest 64 was not a bad game.

Bungies games are souless generics

Rock stars games are boring as fuck

343i is the best thing to happen go halo. Halo 4 campaign had a soul.

It's fine to like the story in Halo 4 and I think the Chief/Cortana relationship was pretty well explored, but I wouldn't say it had more soul than Bungie's efforts. Reach was probably the best in the series in that regard, largely because it's so wonderfully bleak and ominous.

But yeah, as much as I like the gameplay in Destiny the game is utterly stale. It needs more characters, more stuff to do in the game world, an actual story and backstory that you can care about. 'The Darkness' is the stupidest thing about that game.

I still think PT / Silent Hills is coming and Kojima was never fired by Konami.

I know, its dumb.

This is pretty crazy. So you think Sony have propped themselves up and announced his next game in aid of a long-term joke/punk by Kojima and Konami?! What reason would they possibly have for doing this?!

Mikey Jr.

I think Breath of the Wild is really not a masterpiece game. I think the first 1/3 of that game is awesome, then wears down it's welcome VERY quickly once you realize that it is missing lots of stuff that makes other games great.

The exact same game but not called Zelda would have probably gotten an 8 average. I would have given it an 8 at most.

spad3

The first Pokemon games and the first 151 Pokemon have the worst designs, worst mechanics, worst gameplay, and worst storyline (with few exceptions) of the entire series. The series got better in every way, shape, and form with every new iteration and I don't know how some people can hold onto their nostalgia glasses when Mr. Mime, Jynx, Magmar, and Hypno all exist thanks to gen 1.

If I had to pick 1 Pokemon from each generation, I would run out of options after Gengar/Mewtwo in Gen 1 because almost everything else from Gen 1 is complete garbage (Gen 6 is in a similar situation, but then again, Gen 6 only had 72 new pokemon)

Gen 2 had some amazing additions, Gen 3 and 4 were probably the best of the bunch as the introduced so many amazing designs, concept additions (especially Gen 4), Gen 5 had SOME usable Pokemon, and Gen 7 is fucking GREAT (except for everything being stupid slow)

Here would be my picks from each Gen:

1 Gengar, 2 Tyranitar, 3 Metagross, 4 Lucario, 5 Zoroark, 6 Greninja, 7 Silvally

Visual novels are mostly all terrible and Sturgeon's Law hits them far harder than any other video game genre. They tend to have juvenile and repetitive prose and for a genre that entirely relies on writing that's a humongous deal breaker, yes even the so called good ones like 999 and Dangan Ronpa.There are some good ones, but they are seriously dwarfed by the shit. It's also a genre consumed by insular and regurgitated anime tropes. There is very little literacy in the genre compared to the other sub-genres of the adventure game such as interactive fiction, narrative exploration, and classic point and click which are all branching out into all kinds of narrative and artistic styles, pushing the medium into new grounds.

VNs are mostly content just rehashing the same high school bullshit.

Aters

Visual novels are mostly all terrible and Sturgeon's Law hits them far harder than any other video game genre. They tend to have juvenile and repetitive prose and for a genre that entirely relies on writing that's a humongous deal breaker, yes even the so called good ones like 999 and Dangan Ronpa.There are some good ones, but they are seriously dwarfed by the shit. It also a genre consumed by insular and regurgitated anime tropes. There is very little literacy in the genre compared to the other sub-genres of the adventure game such as interactive fiction, narrative exploration, and classic point and click who are branching out into all kinds of narrative and artistic styles, pushing the medium into new grounds.

Haha, I played quite some VNs and I also dislike 999 and Danganronpa. The anime trope part is also hard to defend since that's what 90% VNs are made of.

Flipyap

Running around crashing things and scaring people in the original Assassin's Creed game is more fun than any of the Assassin's Creed games.
So is platforming and moving around in general. The game isn't kidding when the tutorial says that its controls are based around "puppeteering." Even though you have fewer moves and options, the way your character animates and controls enables a degree of player expression you don't see in most games. You can basically roleplay by simply moving your guy around.

343i is the best thing to happen go halo. Halo 4 campaign had a soul.
Too bad it's the soul of a cynical corporation trying to take ownership of something they don't understand, replacing the fun cartoon identity of the series with cheap melodrama and mindlessly chasing trends, no matter how badly they clash with Halo's core gameplay.

Budi

Visual novels are mostly all terrible and Sturgeon's Law hits them far harder than any other video game genre. They tend to have juvenile and repetitive prose and for a genre that entirely relies on writing that's a humongous deal breaker, yes even the so called good ones like 999 and Dangan Ronpa.There are some good ones, but they are seriously dwarfed by the shit. It's also a genre consumed by insular and regurgitated anime tropes. There is very little literacy in the genre compared to the other sub-genres of the adventure game such as interactive fiction, narrative exploration, and classic point and click which are all branching out into all kinds of narrative and artistic styles, pushing the medium into new grounds.

I was really surprised by Danganronpa. It's writing gets so much praise, even from people who's opinions I really appreciate. I refunded the game just before 2 hours so ofcourse I can't know how the story and characters evolve. But I wasn't impressed at all, the characters felt like one-note stereotypes. And the game definitely didn't try to avoid being tropey and juvenile.

EhoaVash

With breath of the wild, Nintendo took 4 steps forward with the series but 3 steps back

:( I dearly miss the meaty dungeons, music, the variety in items to use than just bunch of toothpicks

I don't see them going back to Twilight princess/skyward sword design which kinda saddens me. Feels like ages we get a new Zelda game

Oh and my hot take and people who don't like Zelda games are dumb and suck at puzzles 😘

ghibli99

Pokemon XY is my favorite (because it was my first). As far as I can tell, it's the least liked out of the bunch by longtime series fans.

I agree. Snatcher's good, though.

Too bad it's the soul of a cynical corporation trying to take ownership of something they don't understand, replacing the fun cartoon identity of the series with cheap melodrama and mindlessly chasing trends, no matter how badly they clash with Halo's core gameplay.

I'm replaying them all now, and I agree with him. Execution aside, I really struggle with why any of the first 3 games really matters. The exception is Reach, which I think is my favorite for this.

aravuus

I love 999 and Danganronpa (the first two, at least), but I don't exactly disagree. Honestly not sure how much I'd enjoy 999 and VLR if I replayed them.

Opinions and all, but I was genuinely shocked to see so many call Utawarerumono their GOTY lol, thought it was the most mediocre to bad shit ever with genuinely awful pacing. I also tried reading Dies Irae which people seemed to love, hated everything about the first 2 hours and dropped it. And now Chaos;Child is out. Maybe it's better I don't even try it.

Still need to finish Fata Morgana though. The first couple of doors were pretty good in that one.

I wish games with microtransactions and payable loot boxes gets rated AO and thus force the revision of the no AO sales on digital stores.

I want some damn games that didn't have to strip out content for an M rating, or be denied an M rating due to their perverted core design.

I just want to play some VR Hentai games on PSVR dammit!

😹

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I was really surprised by Danganronpa. It's writing gets so much praise, even from people who's opinions I really appreciate. I refunded the game just before 2 hours so ofcourse I can't know how the story and characters evolve. But I wasn't impressed at all, the characters felt like one-note stereotypes. And the game definitely didn't try to avoid being tropey and juvenile.

Unfortunate you didn't give it more time, since Danganronpa is actually a game series where anime stereotypes/tropes are often subverted and flipped upside down.

Zolbrod

Final Fantasy Tactics is an unbalanced mess.

I love FFT, but I think even its staunchest defenders will agree with this.
Game is borked af.

A few new ones of my own:

- Breath of the Wild is just an "okay" game. I don't see why people think it's so revolutionary. It looks great, but the world is devoid of anything interesting to do. It feels to me like Nintendo wanted to just cram it with content for content's sake, sacrificing quality over quantity, and nothing is a better example of this than those 900 Korok seeds.
I actually think Jim Sterling's controversial 7/10 score was the most appropriate one.

- Flinthook is fucking awesome and more people should play it.

- The presentation in Cuphead is phenomenal, but the game itself is extremely meh. But I never really liked games like Contra or Metal Slug either.

- Samus Returns is doing absolutely nothing for me, and I can't bring myself to play more. I'm a few hours in, but the boss fights and environments are SO DULL.

- The Evil Within 1 was fantastic, and very much the spiritual sequel to RE4 I've always wanted. (Quite enjoying the sequel as well so far)

Wamb0wneD

Breath of the Wild is just an "okay" game. I don't see why people think it's so revolutionary. It looks great, but the world is devoid of anything interesting to do. It feels to me like Nintendo wanted to just cram it with content for content's sake, sacrificing quality over quantity, and nothing is a better example of this than those 900 Korok seeds.
I actually think Jim Sterling's controversial 7/10 score was the most appropriate one.
The reason there are 900 Korok seeds is so people can play the game normally while finding enough of them to upgrade their inventory to a reasonable extend. The reward for finding all 900 is also telling, Nintendo never intended for people to search for all of them. Bringing those up as evidence for quantity over quality is missguided tbh.

The game is revolutionary in how it combines all it's systems. Yes, most things were done in other games, but no game combined them into a cohesive whole, especially not in an open world game. The physics, how elements like fire, wind and lightning interact with each other or Link's abilities, the puzzles, the actual world design and other things.
Jim's score would be OK if his reasoning would have been apt, it wasn't at some points though so I don't think it's appropriate. I actually read the text in contrast to most people who bring up that score to support their argument.

The presentation in Cuphead is phenomenal, but the game itself is extremely meh. But I never really liked games like Contra or Metal Slug either.

Well that on the other hand is just differing tastes. Shame you didn't like it that much. I thought the boss designs/their mechanics rival Bloodborne/DS3.

FinalAres

The reason there are 900 Korok seeds is so people can play the game normally while finding enough of them to upgrade their inventory to a reasonable extend. The reward for finding all 900 is also telling, Nintendo never intended for people to search for all of them. Bringing those up as evidence for quantity over quality is missguided tbh.

The game is revolutionary in how it combines all it's systems. Yes, most things were done in other games, but no game combined them into a cohesive whole, especially not in an open world game. The physics, how elements like fire, wind and lightning interact with each other or Link's abilities, the puzzles, the actual world design and other things.
Jim's score would be OK if his reasoning would have been apt, it wasn't at some points though so I don't think it's appropriate. I actually read the text in contrast to most people who bring up that score to support their argument.
Zelda fans are still unable to deal with people's opinions I see.

Skade

The Witcher games aren't really all that good. Or fun.

I have the exact same feeling for the Zelda games.

Might be because i did not grew up with them and only tried to play them a few years ago but ultimately, i did'nt really like any of them apart from the very first one. And i really don't like BOTW, good graphics but meh characters, meh world, meh dungeons and those freaking almost useless glass weapons sucked all fun out of the combat to me.

I totally agree with this sentiment, but I'm gonna GTFO before the NDF shows up.

It's been kicked around here a few times. I think Nintendo games in general get a little bit of a review score bump. I suspect it is probably because Nintendo games are incredibly polished if nothing else. It's the same with Blizzard. Even though a game like Diablo III had massive flaws at launch, it was still met with near universal praise because it was an incredibly refined mess rather than a dumpster fire mess.

Wamb0wneD

Zelda fans are still unable to deal with people's opinions I see.
I'm not unable to deal with anyones opinion, I have plenty of criticism for the game myself.

All i did was provide context to the korok seeds and explained why I and others see the game as something special.

I simply adressed his points, has nothing to do with being a Zelda fan.

Can you do anything else besides go "Lul Zelda fans" no matter what is actually being said in favour of the game and actually refute any of my points in the post you quoted or nah? Because that's getting real boring real fast. Your opinion being that Zelda fans suck isn't some valid point in a discussion.

I totally agree with this sentiment, but I'm gonna GTFO before the NDF shows up.

Nice driveby. Are you part of some NHF then?

It's been kicked around here a few times.
It gets kicked around in every review thread of a Nintendo game. It's tired, empty criticism for people who don't know what they actually want to complain about. There's valid criticism and then there's vague nonsense like that.

Floody

Naughty Dog makes one game, over and over again. That's all they ever do. Each game they release should be called "Naughty Dog Project: 8".

Yeah, was recently playing Jak 1, and just couldn't get over how much TLoU basically did the same thing.

GLAMr

It's been kicked around here a few times. I think Nintendo games in general get a little bit of a review score bump. I suspect it is probably because Nintendo games are incredibly polished if nothing else. It's the same with Blizzard. Even though a game like Diablo III had massive flaws at launch, it was still met with near universal praise because it was an incredibly refined mess rather than a dumpster fire mess.
Oh for sure. And I get it. Nintendo was such a huge part of my childhood, they will always have a soft spot in my heart. They may recycle the same old ideas a lot, and they may not have cutting edge technology, but they sure as hell polish their content and make it fun. These are the characters that made me love gaming, and I know I have a blind spot when it comes to judging the Big N.

Wamb0wneD

Oh for sure. And I get it. Nintendo was such a huge part of my childhood, they will always have a soft spot in my heart. They may recycle the same old ideas a lot, and they may not have cutting edge technology, but they sure as hell polish their content and make it fun. These are the characters that made me love gaming, and I know I have a blind spot when it comes to judging the Big N.

What ideas are they recycling? They reuse their IP, and some might argue that some stuff in Zelda got repeated one time too often, and nobody would argue that the new Mario series isn't stale af at this point but otherwise?

Floody

The ๖ۜBronx;252380118 said:
Nah. I have a feeling H:ZD will pan out like TLoU has. Be seen as a solid game but nothing particularly incredible (save visuals) in hindsight.

What gives you the impression TLoU is only seen as a solid game nowadays? It's still widely considered an all-time great, sold extremely well over time and TLoU 2 already has a lot of hype despite nothing really being shown or talked about it yet.

GG and Sony would kill to have their game pan out like TLoU, as would like 99% of other game devs.

PrimeBeef

If Horizon: Zero Dawn were Zelda: Zero Dawn, it would have been hailed as the greatest game in generations, and would win Game of the Year across the board.
I have to disagree. If a zelda gsme had the same issues HZD had it would have the same criticisms attatched to it. I will concede the score may have beem a point or 2 higher, but it definately would have beena middle of the road Zelda game.

petran79

Banned

Same for new Simcity. Bad reviews have receded as well.

But this also has to do wih the target readers. You'll review a 90% computer game differently than a 90% Nintendo game.

This is why video game magazines mixing console and computer games are messy

I'd prefer magazines and sites focusing strictly on computer or console games only.

Even on GAF,most misunderstandings stem from this.

Top Bottom