• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends |OT19| Three-Fifths of a Thread

I'm genuinely disgusted at all the toxicity of those podcast comments and I wish The Best Friends would at least assert that that shit is not cool. It's the least they can do but I know they try to keep the channel apolitical and drama free.

Xux

It took me ages to even realize it is. I died several times near the top/on top (but not to the boss, just summoned Tarkus and let him do his thing because he's awesome) and so had to schlep my way up time and again.

On the plus side, I can run Sen's House-o-Fun in my damn sleep if I wanted to now.

Also great to watch Woolie get bodied by traps and snake-men. Wonder if he'll fall for the
mimic

Anor Londo is so pretty, but another reason why I loved the area is the silver knights. They are PERFECT parrying fodder (once you're inside the main building). I had such trouble with parrying up until that point, but they telegraph pretty easily and have generous windows for parrying. Mastered parrying there.

I think Pat is trying to get Woolie to fall for the
mimic. When Woolie swung at one of the chests in this part, he said, "You're going to be really disappointed the farther you go in the game trying to find mimics."
I really hope it works.
Oh man, I got so excited when he was so reckless with that first chest. Then they started talking about mimics and he's gonna see the twenty messages in the room. :(

BaasRed

Banned
What the fuck is up with the recent podcast video? People flinging shit everywhere and calling Ms. Laura abhorrent shit, but not even a single comment explains why? Any idea why this specific podcast everyone in the comments is toxic? (I really don't want to start a political discussion if it's not needed but man this shit was too much.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
What the fuck is up with the recent podcast video? People flinging shit everywhere and calling Ms. Laura abhorrent shit, but not even a single comment explains why? Any idea why this specific podcast everyone in the comments is toxic? (I really don't want to start a political discussion if it's not needed but man this shit was too much.

"A transperson? On MY video game podcast? Im not transphobic but this is some bullshit. Better write a mean thing in the YouTube comments section and hope she goes away!"

BaasRed

Banned
"A transperson? On MY video game podcast? Im not transphobic but this is some bullshit. Better write a mean thing in the YouTube comments section and hope she goes away!"
I've never felt so disconnected from people for such a long time. I can understand if they even tried to constructively criticize here but they just throw insults. Also, these comments were weirdly paranoid? Like they were assuming she would do something when the episode was as normal as ot gets, besides that she clearly listens to it every week and can recite the important parts. I feel weirded out by this.

I've never felt so disconnected from people for such a long time. I can understand if they even tried to constructively criticize here but they just throw insults. Also, these comments were weirdly paranoid? Like they were assuming she would do something when the episode was as normal as ot gets, besides that she clearly listens to it every week and can recite the important parts. I feel weirded out by this.

I think I saw some people mention something I about her writing for Kotaku or something?

Yeah, I don't get it either.

I really don't understand how people can get so passionate about something with such low stakes. Like, Laura Kate Dale has no actual power or authority. Its not like she's going around pretending like she could end peoples careers with a single word. But people are freaking out about her being on a podcast as if this was the next step of her diabolical plan.

The other thing is, I don't even know why I'm getting so upset at these people freaking out. Normally when nonsense like this happens, I like to read up on both " sides". I guess so that I can justify to my self that these people are just nuts, or maybe I like to see the logical ledge that these people have lept off of. I see what crazy thing is happening and I move on. But I can't find any real offense that she has done, and its inexplicably bothering me.

Regardless, I still have yet to listen to the podcast, I am pretty interested in what they cover on it though.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
As a person who considers himself more involved in the LGBQT community than the average person, the answer to all of your questions can be summed up simply as "people are assholes." There is this temptation in people to make it more complicated and gray than it actually is. When you are a woman/gay/trans or whatever with any kind of name in almost any nerd industry, (not to profile or anything, but 9 times out of 10 they're straight white males) you are instantly under a different, almost impossible level of scrutiny compared to your peers. This stuff isn't new, isn't surprising, and is in almost every video game community, no matter who they are. Its not about the content of the podcast, not about what Laura has written in the past, not about anything other than this is a trans woman in what is typically a cis male space and a lot of people instantly get uncomfortable with that and will be assholes to get Laura out so they don't have to face this personal uncomfortably.

Incidentally, when I heard Laura Kate Dale was coming onto the podcast, I was very cynical about the response mostly because of this article she wrote about transphobia. Which, take a wild guess, people were incredibly transphobic and hostile and all the usual pile of shit that most people fling at trans people in nerd spaces.

I thought it was an okay podcast. The only problem was that it was content-light aside from the For Honor talk, which Laura was semi-excluded from due to circumstances, though even there she tried to be conversational and involved in a constructive way.

They could have really, really used Matt around for this one, which is something I'm not often inclined to say. They probably would have had an extra 30 minutes to an hour of raw content just out of him and Laura discussing their nerd house-spouse shows.

Jintor

Laura was cool.

Perhaps too british though. We need cultural balance.

I'm lying, there's no such thing as too british

Her sin in their eyes is that she dare criticized the gaming industry for not being accepting of transgender individuals. And the gaming community is still full of scum who think games should be free of 'identity politics'.

BaasRed

Banned
Her sin in their eyes is that she dare criticized the gaming industry for not being accepting of transgender individuals. And the gaming community is still full of scum who think games should be free of 'identity politics'.
Politics should stay with art. Not all art but you know art will be bland without SOME politics mixed in. Either way, I see shit differently now.

It's isn't actually possible to be "apolitical" or non-political. A decision to avoid discussing politics or to "keep politics out of your work" is a tacit acceptance of the status quo, and thus is, in and of itself, political. If you do not discuss politics with family or co-workers, for example, you will be presumed to be in support of whatever the normative beliefs and standing policies are in your circumstance.

That's not to say everyone need to "politicize" their work and constantly try to push a message, just that if you find yourself asking, "Should I include this content or not? If I do, my work will be more political!" you're asking a wrong-headed question.

The actual question is, "Am I comfortable making a political statement in support of this subject by having this content?" The answer might be 'no', and that's fine, but don't think for a minute that avoiding the issue by pretending that it doesn't exist at all isn't, in and of itself, making a political statement.

BaasRed

Banned
It's isn't actually possible to be "apolitical" or non-political. A decision to avoid discussing politics or to "keep politics out of your work" is a tacit acceptance of the status quo, and thus is, in and of itself, political. If you do not discuss politics with family or co-workers, for example, you will be presumed to be in support of whatever the normative beliefs and standing policies are in your circumstance.

That's not to say everyone need to "politicize" their work and constantly try to push a message, just that if you find yourself asking, "Should I include this content or not? If I do, my work will be more political!" you're asking a wrong-headed question.

The actual question is, "Am I comfortable making a political statement in support of this subject by having this content?" The answer might be 'no', and that's fine, but don't think for a minute that avoiding the issue by pretending that it doesn't exist at all isn't, in and of itself, making a political statement.
Refusing to engage politics isn't really political, it's just political apathy. If friends and family just assume you are aligned with the status quo that's on them.

Refusing to engage politics isn't really political, it's just political apathy. If friends and family just assume you are aligned with the status quo that's on them.

Well, no, it's pretty explicitly on you.

If people assume you're an asshole because you don't signal to them that you aren't, that is entirely a problem that's going to be affecting you. The fact you failed to signal out of apathy rather than actually being an asshole isn't going to impact them.

Jintor

political apathy is another way of saying you're okay with the status quo

existence is political. a refusal to recognise that existence is political, is also, itself, political.

Their squeamishness to discuss politics is one of the complaints I have with them. I remember when a guest was getting political in one podcast Woolie did a little jazz hand bit with a mocking sing-songy "politics" in an effort to halt that talk quick. I was really disappointed in his refusal to engage or support the discussion and rather just push it aside. It's that exact behavior that allows the community to continue to support this idea that politics don't belong in games. Like I don't expect high level discussion from them, but he just straight up dissuaded a guest from getting into it.

Jintor

i'm not asking that everything be waypoint but yeah it's pretty disappointing

the real question is, more or less disappointing than the mgr playthrough post-twist

Their squeamishness to discuss politics is one of the complaints I have with them. I remember when a guest was getting political in one podcast Woolie did a little jazz hand bit with a mocking sing-songy "politics" in an effort to halt that talk quick. I was really disappointed in his refusal to engage or support the discussion and rather just push it aside. It's that exact behavior that allows the community to continue to support this idea that politics don't belong in games. Like I don't expect high level discussion from them, but he just straight up dissuaded a guest from getting into it.

If I'm not mistaken, the guest was already done talking by the time Woolie said anything. Also, I believe that particular topic was pretty specifically related to US politics, which I imagine the guys don't follow super heavily, so I think the implication there was more just that they really had nothing meaningful to say on the matter.

Of course, not that the rest of your complaint isn't valid or anything.

If I'm not mistaken, the guest was already done talking by the time Woolie said anything. Also, I believe that particular topic was pretty specifically related to US politics, which I imagine the guys don't follow super heavily, so I think the implication there was more just that they really had nothing meaningful to say on the matter.

Of course, not that the rest of your complaint isn't valid or anything.

I think you are right, but when somebody brings up a topic it usually means they want to discuss it. At the very least he could have responded stating he hasn't been paying attention to US politics and/or doesn't really have a strong opinion, rather than do his little bit. But really... I find it hard to believe somebody doesn't have an opinion of the current US political climate. Especially someone from our closest neighbor. I think they just keep quiet out of fear they'll lose listeners. Which I will admit is a valid concern, but also disappointing and somewhat hypocritical.

I think I saw some people mention something I about her writing for Kotaku or something?

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Something something SJW games journo and general transphobia.

There's also the small portion of butthurt babies who either hate video game news leakers or hate it when reporters are not 100% correct on their rumours like Laura was with the Switch.

It's just awful all around.

Jintor

leaving aside politics for a moment, the amount of whining on the resi evil playthrough is kinda hilarious. as someone watching the game only through these doofuses, the amount of people screaming "OH MAN ONLY THEEEEEESE IDIOTS WOULD MESS UP THE *BIRTHDAY CAKE*" is hilarious.

like, matt and pat are clearly just fucking around trying things and playing it like a video game ass video game, but apparently everyone wants them to speedrun that shit or something.

actually it's probably just youtube comments being youtube comments

leaving aside politics for a moment, the amount of whining on the resi evil playthrough is kinda hilarious. as someone watching the game only through these doofuses, the amount of people screaming "OH MAN ONLY THEEEEEESE IDIOTS WOULD MESS UP THE *BIRTHDAY CAKE*" is hilarious.

like, matt and pat are clearly just fucking around trying things and playing it like a video game ass video game, but apparently everyone wants them to speedrun that shit or something.

You should have seen Max trying to do that section. It took him like 10 minutes to figure out what to do with the telescope, and chat was exploding the whole time despite him playing in VR and not being able to see anything.

Did you not read this thread the last few pages?

I pretty much did the same thing as they did. I thought "wait, is it really gonna be that easy? Nahh somethings gonna be different I better take that winding key and stab myself with a pen again"

I think that whole Happy Birthday sequence was genius and whoever compared it to 999 was on fucking point

Also haven't listened to the entire podcast yet but Laura is on fucking FIRE and and probably one of the best guests they've had in recent memory.

A shame assholes have to be assholes

Dekutulla

man, I usually put PE2 on in a different tab while I do something else, but every time I hear them shooting one of those enemies I just gotta switch back to watch

"oh- oh- oh- oh- oh- oh- ohhhhhh"

Strimei

Matt seems kinda out of it in the RE7 LP again, culminating in tonight's episode.

"Did we kill Lucas?" After beating the playroom and seeing him yell at them over a video. Pat even calls him out about it.

edit: I'm an idiot, disregard.

Been asking them to address that issue in gaming communities since October 2014, but it's been ignored. And I know of one very good reason they ignore it but I am not going to drop that dramabomb in the thread.

Like others have said this dramabomb teasing us unacceptable haha
We must know!

Unless I'm late and it was dropped in which case someone kindly point me to this dramabomb

Archgan

Matt seems kinda out of it in the RE7 LP again, culminating in tonight's episode.

"Did we kill Lucas?" After beating the playroom and seeing him yell at them over a video. Pat even calls him out about it.

Well, there was an obvious cut about 6 minutes in where (based on the save data), 4 days passed so I can forgive his memory lapse.

Frimaire

I remember not liking Super Paper Mario as a kid because it wasn't turn based.
Looking back on it now, though, it had a lot of fun stuff in it.

I remember not liking Super Paper Mario as a kid because it wasn't turn based.
Looking back on it now, though, it had a lot of fun stuff in it.

I had a good time on my first playthrough, largely due to the writing, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it a second time. Only got a little over halfway through.

Top Bottom