• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Division: Normandy 44 |OT| Krieg never changes

deoee

172d5f854eede8d012e4da45a55738c13b212748.jpg

Steel Division: Normandy 44 is a Tactical Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game, developed by Eugen Systems, the creators of titles like Wargame and R.U.S.E. This new game puts players in command of detailed, historically accurate tanks, troops, and vehicles at the height of World War II. Players can measure their tactical skills against several opponents in big multiplayer battles or against enemies in a challenging single-player campaign. Steel Division: Normandy 44 allows players to take control over legendary military divisions from six different countries, such as the American 101st Airborne, the German armored 21st Panzer or the 3rd Canadian Division, during the invasion of Normandy in 1944.

Command Over 400 Historically Accurate Units: Whether fighting for control in intense multiplayer battles with up to 10-vs-10 players going head-to-head, playing alone or working with friends in ranked matches, players will need to coordinate their selection of historically accurate infantry, tanks, aircraft, and support vehicles to counter enemy units in this Tactical RTS game.
Real-world Tactics: Battles rage over three distinct phases, where different units unlock over time, mimicking the movements of real-world armies and adding variety to the ever-changing theatre of war. A dynamic front line illustrates the ebb and flow of the conflict. Pin down your opponent's infantry to gain the advantage and force a retreat, or push through with a perfectly executed plan.
Real-world Setting: Using the latest version of Eugen's IRISZOOM engine, players can smoothly zoom from a tactical aerial view all the way down to a single unit, and see 400 different real-world vehicles and units designed with careful historical detail and accuracy. Maps are designed based on actual aerial reconnaissance photos of Normandy in 1944, requiring real-world tactics and strategies to cover and control.
Outplan, Outsmart, Outgun: From battlegroup customization to troop positioning and maneuvering, winning battles requires cunning and strategy, not just raw firepower. Each unit lost presents a growing tactical disadvantage, and players will need to fight to gain -- and keep -- the upper hand.

Combat in Normandy ‘44 takes place at the division level. Rather than selecting a nation, you pick from a number of Allied and Axis divisions that fought in Northern France near the close of the war, each with a unique unit roster and play style. Among the names dropped were the US 101st Airborne and the German 12th SS, with England, France, Poland, Canada, and Scotland also represented.

While your division serves almost like a deck of cards that you select prior to a battle, the troops you will actually be taking into the field, called a Battlegroup, are 30-40 units chosen from this roster.
These units will attempt to push and pull a dynamic front line that moves as you take and lose terrain, with victory points assigned based on how much of the map you control.
GIF4.gif

The core combat revolves around the concept of stress. Similar to games like Company of Heroes, units will act with self-preservation based on the battlefield situation. Light infantry under fire from a heavy machine gun will become pinned down, unable to move or contribute much to the battle, which allows a smart commander to take units out of the fight indefinitely without necessarily routing or killing them. It is also possible, of course, to force a unit to take so much stress that they start to withdraw from the battlefield (or at least to a more defensible location). It's also possible to capture enemy units by surrounding them and forcing them to surrender.

In addition to a singleplayer campaign, Normandy ‘44 will support up to 10 vs 10 in online multiplayer, with the most colossal brawls taking place on maps large enough that they can be broken into chunks and used piecemeal for smaller engagements. Ranked and casual matches will be available.

Screenshots
Gifs
Gameplay
Dev-Blog with insight on mechanics etc.
System Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 (3.1 GHz) or equivalent
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Graphics: 1 GB AMD 5570 or nVidia 450
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 32 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i5-2300 or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 2GB AMD 7970 or nVidia 770 or greater
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 32 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Buy the game
Social Media

Keasar

I hope they go back and make another alt Cold War game in this style.

Problem is going back to the alt-Cold War would bring back many of the problems I had with the Wargame series. :p

I for example thought attacking was a bore because of how effective missile systems were in defensive play. They outranged most if not all sorts of attack vehicles, so striking against the defensive points in conquest was a constant throw-against-brickwall moment.

I am quite happy with the move back into WW2 as it removes much of the complicated modern weapon systems and becomes easier to work with.

deoee

Going back to WW2 and making planesso different to use scales the battles down to a nice "action amount"

Catabu

Neo Member
Yeah I really enjoyed the matches in the ongoing beta and I'm looking forward to try the sp as well as the new divisions :D

Dude really?! You could have told me. We could have gone to war together! Never saw you online in Steam playing the game, though. :/

deoee

Yeah having a truckload of work related stuff to do. Would love to have more spare time and not to work all day (and night).

Just tell your boss you have to defend the Vaterland against the Allies. He/she will understand.

deoee

Things regarding launch:

What time is the release?
19.00 CEST

Can I look at people while I wait for the game to launch?
Yes! Go to our twitch-channel to enjoy or launch stream and share in our excitement while you wait for the game to release: https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Where can I find my sign-up items?
Click on your name to get to your profile
Go to Downloads

Where can I find my Delux Items?
In your steam directory: \steamapps\common\Steel Division

Can I pre-load the game?
No.

I want to update to Deluxe Edition, is that possible?
Not at the moment.

I have an issue, help!
Please contact our support via one of the following channels:
Forum Tech Support: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/euiv-technical-support.812/

Forum Bug Report: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/euiv-bug-reports.813/

Ticket System: https://support.paradoxplaza.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I will update this thread with more info once applicable/necessary :)

deoee

This game

giphy-downsized-large.gif

10vs10 can be a bit shitty because randoms do not "listen" to posted beacons in the beginning. Often you end up with 2 or more people on one chockepoint and half the map is open to the enemy...

deoee

Anyone got an idea where I can find the pre-order stuff?

It's not under "Downloads" as listed in the FAQ...
LLShC.gif

Anyone got an idea where I can find the pre-order stuff?

It's not under "Downloads" as listed in the FAQ...
LLShC.gif

I don't have the game, but I have been following it

Aces are supposed to be in the battlegroup maker or whatever it is, but one of the guys hasn't been released yet.

Keasar

I am really loving it. It's like a hardcore strategy games like the ones you read on The Flare Path on RockPaperShotgun but not quite hardcore that it feels impenetrable to get into.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What the hell with the single player campaign? It's just 3 sets of a few linear missions?

The early access description really made it sound like the game would be played like their previous campaigns, on a large strategic map fighting over territories like Total War.

I guess they decided to just not do that and just made a few scripted single player missions? I wouldn't have bought the early access if I knew they were going to pull this.

Finally got around to playing. The only thing that is bugging me are some visual bugs. The difficultly in the game is quite nice. It's hard, but it doesn't feel cheap either.

Ont

I need to buy this.

Also, someone needs to make a Warhammer 40K game with this engine. That would be a goldmine.

Digby

Neo Member
They should have cut the number of controllable units by half, and made the maps smaller. Or at least allow the player to scale the battle size. The tutorial missions are what the campaign should have been, it was more fun.

Yes, I said that - the tutorial was more fun to me than the first campaign mission. That's a first. For a new player, the first intro into single player is a hot mess of too many units, micromanagement, 2 fronts and to top it all off - a TIMER on the objective.

I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

DrSlek

I bought into the beta, but then my son was born and my ability to play was severely diminished....however I did enjoy the 6 hours I have been able to play.

They should have cut the number of controllable units by half, and made the maps smaller. Or at least allow the player to scale the battle size. The tutorial missions are what the campaign should have been, it was more fun.

Yes, I said that - the tutorial was more fun to me than the first campaign mission. That's a first. For a new player, the first intro into single player is a hot mess of too many units, micromanagement, 2 fronts and to top it all off - a TIMER on the objective.

I don't know what the fuck they were thinking.

I didn't have that much trouble with it. However, they did throw a lot of shit at you for the first mission.

Capture this village in 10 minutes.
Now defend until the tanks get here.
Oh, you have to go help destroy the 88s.

It definitely could have been better.

Raxious

Game looks really awesome and been considering getting it. My question is though, how well would it run on the following?

i7 920
GTX 670 ( 2GB )
12GB DDR3 RAM

hoping I can run this game pretty decent to enjoy it, and not having to deal with fps issues or anything.

deoee

You have many options to customize the graphics so I guess it should run.

Also you can always buy and refund on steam if the performance doesn't satisfy you!

deoee

I really like some of the SP missions I have to say.

The lack of story is made up by some really time critical tasks. But it's sad, that secondary objectives seem to not "carry over" to other missions etc.

deoee

4vs4 on 1vs1 is insane and super fun to do :D

So much action going on EVERYWHERE...

What's your guys fav. division btw.? I really like the Haudegen division, it has such strong infantry in phase A, it's insane.

Barrykins

Neo Member
It's a pretty challenging game. I feel like the greatest challenge to me is finding out how to create these choke points when trying to lock down an area. The terrain is so different with it being just open fields separated by some bushes.

Hari Seldon

This game is great fun. Just doing the SP stuff now, but I'm thinking I might actually jump into multiplayer with this.

Top Bottom