• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

saladine1

What kind of question is that? xD

Of course it is in game.
It's a little spruced up...
Those aggressive downshifts and overruns and that crazy resonance coupled with the systemic reverb is what they want it to eventually sound like. At the moment they are still working towards that..

fresquito

Those aggressive downshifts and overruns and that crazy resonance coupled with the systemic reverb is what they want it to eventually sound like. At the moment they are still working towards that..
These are sound banks from the game. Obviously there's editing involved since there's no way to record these sounds from all the cameras and make it work just out of the gate. But I'm not really listening anything I don't listen with my 7.1 headphones. Balance and all aside.

Mascot

These are sound banks from the game. Obviously there's editing involved since there's no way to record these sounds from all the cameras and make it work just out of the gate. But I'm not really listening anything I don't listen with my 7.1 headphones. Balance and all aside.

That's really what I was wondering. The Shift 2 Huayra trailer had my ears salivating but the in-game audio ended up nothing like it. I know SMS have ambitions to top even RaceRoom's audio in pCARS 2 so hopes are high.

I love the overrun pops, crackles & burbles, but are they doing anything about the corresponding backfire visuals? Something more 'explosive' to match the audio rather than the current slow-burn flamethrower effect (which always looked a bit daft to me). I much prefer the instantaneous tailpipe flashes you get in, say, Gran Turismo. They convey the explosive energy of the exhaust system better than bunsen burners. Maybe a mix of both would be good.

TJP

Is it still sponsored by nvidia? Hope it they wont screw amd users this time around
It is up to AMD to work with all developers and not just the big developers. This has been an issue with AMD for a long time; ISI complained about AMD refusing to assist when developing rF2 whereas Nvidia work with everyone.

fresquito

Is it still sponsored by nvidia? Hope it they wont screw amd users this time around
Nah, that's on AMD users xD

Some known facts:
  • On PC1 release a new AMD driver hits.
  • PC1 performance on AMD is atrocious.
  • AMD PR says on twitter it's SMS fault.
Some not so well known facts:
  • One month before release, PC1 was working well enough on AMD hardware (not nVidia level, but acceptable).
  • SMS knew about the drivers update when the update was released to the public.
  • When trying to reach out for AMD, the only answer they found initially was the PR twitter thing.
Luckily enough, it seems AMD is starting to change how they work with devs in general, or so I've heard.

To clarify, nVidia is not sponsoring PC. They are collaborating. No direct money involved.

_machine

Bamco released an entertaining marketing piece on recreating the physics of the Mclaren 720S: As Close As It Gets featuring Chris Goodwin
“As Close As It Gets" Featuring Chris Goodwin showcases the painstaking process behind the in-game development of the new McLaren 720S by McLaren’s chief test-driver, Chris Goodwin. As technicians from around the world fly in for one final test-session, it is Goodwin alone who has the final say on the in-game handling of the 720S. Will he sign off?
It's a very polished marketing piece, but still interesting looking into how much effort goes into the physics and externals involved (for some parts).

Bamco released an entertaining marketing piece on recreating the physics of the Mclaren 720S: As Close As It Gets featuring Chris Goodwin

It's a very polished marketing piece, but still interesting looking into how much effort goes into the physics and externals involved (for some parts).

I don't think the 720S speaks to me, I refuse to get hyped for pCARS2, but I love these little shorts that focus on just one car (or track), give a little history, insight and a look behind the scenes.

Good work on this one, SMS.
More like this, please. Maybe for an older car next time... that would be great.

Mascot

GT3 race at RBR

I hope somebody from WMD2 has mentioned the strobing brake-lights (drivers are more likely to be making analogue brake-pressure adjustments with the brake lights remaining on, rather than tap-dancing digitally on the pedal), the AI coming to to a virtual standstill on several corners, the predictable metronomic countdown lights at the start, and the naff bargain-basement generic driving gloves (really? Sparco, OMP, Sabelt, Puma or Alpinestars aren't interested in a collaboration..?)

I know, I know, WIP.

Mascot

I posted this question to Ian Bell and The American in the Q&A on GTP and got lots of 'likes', but didn't get an answer.

I was wondering whether we'll get a lush, green version of Laguna Seca in pCARS 2 as one of the seasonal variants? It can look quite different in spring after prolonged rain to the normal dry lake dust bowl that most people know and love (and how it's been represented in most racing sims).

a1gp-laguna-seca-2006-mathias-lauda_zpsewktygqt.jpg

The lack of official response makes me think that the answer will be 'no' (which would be a big wasted opportunity in my book - why have seasons?), but can anyone from WMD2 comment? Or maybe ask the question over there please? I've got a new-found love for Laguna Seca after largely avoiding it for many years.

fresquito

I posted this question to Ian Bell and The American in the Q&A on GTP and got lots of 'likes', but didn't get an answer.

The lack of official response makes me think that the answer will be 'no' (which would be a big wasted opportunity in my book - why have seasons?), but can anyone from WMD2 comment? Or maybe ask the question over there please? I've got a new-found love for Laguna Seca after largely avoiding it for many years.
I don't follow official channels, but has it been officially announced for PC2?

MaxiLive

I doubt it to be honest. It is just too much conversation of a track and would be almost like making a new track so when those resources could be spent on making an actual new track or polishing up 3-4 tracks it doesn't seem like a decent value proposition for the consumer.

It would be nice to see though :D

Mascot

I don't follow official channels, but has it been officially announced for PC2?

You might be right, maybe it hasn't been officially announced yet and maybe that's why there's no response. I'd be surprised if it isn't in pCARS 2 though, and I think the vast majority of people would expect it to be.
It is.

I doubt it to be honest. It is just too much conversation of a track and would be almost like making a new track so when those resources could be spent on making an actual new track or polishing up 3-4 tracks it doesn't seem like a decent value proposition for the consumer.

It would be nice to see though :D

I don't think it would be too much work over and above what's already planned for all tracks. SMS have already shown grass, leaves, and trees changing with the seasons. For Laguna Seca this might mean adding grass where there's currently scorched earth, or making existing grass thicker, greener and more lush. I'd be disappointed if the Winter/Spring version of Laguna looked almost identical to the Summer/Autumn version as they can be vastly different, with far more variation than, say, Silverstone or LeMans.

Juicy Bob

Yeah, I have to admit, classic stuff has never really been all that interesting to me in racing sims. But more content and more varied content is always a good thing.

Mascot

Yeah, I have to admit, classic stuff has never really been all that interesting to me in racing sims. But more content and more varied content is always a good thing.

I'm kind of torn about that. Personally (and being 100% selfish) I'd have preferred pCARS 2 to ditch road cars altogether (never use them) and not introduce RallyX and ice racing (I'm not interested), and concentrate on modern race-bred cars and racing circuits. Oh, and forget ovals ever existed.

I have genuine concerns about it spreading itself a little thinly and containing a lot of 'padding' that I won't go near, but so long as what I am interested in is fully-fleshed, feature-packed and polished to a shine then i won't have many complaints.

GTR3 has me very interested though. It seems far more tightly focussed around my own personal motorsport interests.

iratA

PCars 2 has my support as I loved the first one, all I need to know is that I can play in a career mode against AI without other players seamlessly joining my game. Really not interested in multiplayer.

I'm kind of torn about that. Personally (and being 100% selfish) I'd have preferred pCARS 2 to ditch road cars altogether (never use them) and not introduce RallyX and ice racing (I'm not interested), and concentrate on modern race-bred cars and racing circuits. Oh, and forget ovals ever existed.

I have genuine concerns about it spreading itself a little thinly and containing a lot of 'padding' that I won't go near
I feel the same way.

fresquito

I have genuine concerns about it spreading itself a little thinly and containing a lot of 'padding' that I won't go near, but so long as what I am interested in is fully-fleshed, feature-packed and polished to a shine then i won't have many complaints.

GTR3 has me very interested though. It seems far more tightly focussed around my own personal motorsport interests.
Thanks God they know better.

Mascot

Thanks God they know better.
Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. I'm not saying that's what pcars2 should be for everyone, it was simply my personal fantasy version of it based on what I know and love, and on my experience with the first game.

To expand on it even more, I'd personally love all the main officially licenced GT series from around the world, with proper race seasons, all the cars, all the official liveries, all the official tracks, all the drivers, official rule sets etc etc. Tightly focused, and kind of like TOCA was but with even deeper FIFA levels of licensing and authenticity. That's where my real interests lie.

I totally get that pcars has never been that niche, and it's certainly not going to stop me from buying pcars 2 (if the hype is realised), but maybe GTR3 or a cherry-picked RaceRoom would give me more of what I actually want and less of what I don't.

Pcars 2 remains my biggest draw for 2017 though, and I'm confident that I'll love it. I might only be using around half of the content though.

fresquito

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough. I'm not saying that's what pcars2 should be for everyone, it was simply my personal fantasy version of it based on what I know and love, and on my experience with the first game.

To expand on it even more, I'd personally love all the main officially licenced GT series from around the world, with proper race seasons, all the cars, all the official liveries, all the official tracks, all the drivers, official rule sets etc etc. Tightly focused, and kind of like TOCA was but with even deeper FIFA levels of licensing and authenticity. That's where my real interests lie.

I totally get that pcars has never been that niche, and it's certainly not going to stop me from buying pcars 2 (if the hype is realised), but maybe GTR3 or a cherry-picked RaceRoom would give me more of what I actually want and less of what I don't.

Pcars 2 remains my biggest draw for 2017 though, and I'm confident that I'll love it. I might only be using around half of the content though.
Don't take me seriously, I was just being facetious. I'm in the opposite spectrum, though. I really love the variety of tracks and cars.

The other day I was playing at Fuji with a GT3 and having a blast. Next race I played with a vintage touring car at a smaller circuit and again, so much fun. Next race was a classic Formula at a classic circuit and you know it: I was in driving heaven.

The best thing for PC1 and 2 is that, even when it has so many different classes, it also sports more than enough tracks to support all these classes to the point where you can focus on one class and still have as much content to enjoy as any other more focused title. Like, there're quite a few more RX tracks in PC2 than Dirt Rally. I honestly think PC doesn't get all the praise it deserves in this regard.

The other day I was playing at Fuji with a GT3 and having a blast. Next race I played with a vintage touring car at a smaller circuit and again, so much fun. Next race was a classic Formula at a classic circuit and you know it: I was in driving heaven.
None of those are road cars though ;)

fresquito

None of those are road cars though ;)
I haven't played with road cars in PC2 all that much, to be honest. Not my focus. But I have nothing in particular against some road cars being thrown in if they are well done (which was not the case in PC1). In PC1, even with all their problematic behaviour, some of them could offer pretty entertaining races.

fresquito

My main gripe is, as disap.ed mentions, the flow. This is suppossed to be a track for fast cars, but I can't seem to find any pace. If you look at the pics you posted, you'll notice there's no real flow. It's not fast corners one after another or slow corners one after another. It's stop and go, stop and go in small fractions, one after another. I really don't feel it.

Now, like I said, I haven't played it all that much, so maybe learning it will help big time, but I have my doubts. Maybe I will eventually love it, who knows.

Mascot

My main gripe is, as disap.ed mentions, the flow. This is suppossed to be a track for fast cars, but I can't seem to find any pace. If you look at the pics you posted, you'll notice there's no real flow. It's not fast corners one after another or slow corners one after another. It's stop and go, stop and go in small fractions, one after another. I really don't feel it.

Now, like I said, I haven't played it all that much, so maybe learning it will help big time, but I have my doubts. Maybe I will eventually love it, who knows.
Sounds a bit like Zolder.

Is it generally disliked?

The split layouts are ok for me, but combined I really dislike the full layout. Add to it that the track now is in every sim under the sun and I somewhat hate CotA a little. Only if you look at it from above the track seems to have character, driving it though, everything seems cobbled together a little bit and especially the second half doesn't seem to belong to the same track(-feel) the first half is going for.
I know Alan from Team VVV also hates this track and IIRC it scored low in the ForzaGAF survey. So, probably yea... generally disliked.
And sims get too many Formula 1 tracks anyway ...most are not great in slower and heavier cars. There are so many cheap to license shorter tracks out there in the world, they need more love.

That being said, I don't think the track count will be a problem in pCARS2 there will be something for everyone and even the tracks you (or me) usually don't like, might have a car combo that makes it shine.

Top Bottom