• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For February 2017 [Up1: For Honor highest LTD game of 2017 so far]

The only problem with the PS4 is that it has too many games.

13c.png

Lol, and there was someone trying to tell me that For Honor was a niche game that didn't count when I said that Mass Effect had a lot of competition with its release.

Nice, cool to see Nioh do as well as it did physically. Must have been that shortage, lol.

Hoping NieR: Automata does well this month. Already 200K+ on Japan. Western sales and the Steam release I hope has it sell over one million copies.

ty_hot

Wierd that For Honor sold so much, as its price is already falling. 40 for the Deluxe at Game and 44 (or so) the original at Amazon.

Kill3r7

Wierd that For Honor sold so much, as its price is already falling. 40 for the Deluxe at Game and 44 (or so) the original at Amazon.

Ubi pricing model. Nothing new. If anything WD2 was an outlier in not getting a discount a couple of weeks after release.

Anyone know the Call of Duty split between PS4 and Xbox?

In general xbox one is higher for retail sales. But if you include the ps4 bundles the opposite is true.

This was at least the whole last year with BO III the case and the previous iterations. Don't know why that would've changed. I can't give you any specific split tho, obviously

-30% in hardware sales yoy is very worrying.

$ sales

Contributing factors:
No more Wii u sales
Ps4 slim price cut to $249 for 2 weeks out of 4 tracking (50%)
Xb1 s price cut to $249 for 10 days out of 28 tracking (over 1/3)
Ps4 pro at $399 supply shortages
But total unit numbers is also down YoY, as mentioned. But it's not 30% grim ;)

Raysod

Banned

With so many models in the console market and with differents price entry points to console gaming (you can get a slim ps4/vanilla xbox one for 200 euro), plus the plethora of (very good) available games, one would expect hardware sales to go up, or worst case scenario remain constant.

With the Switch selling 800K in the US we will see a spike next month's npd in hardware sales, but are these sales translating into new people entering the console market or current owners of ps4/one buying the switch as a second/third console, thus their gaming budget will be shared between 2 or 3 platforms?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Harker I'm sure you don't wanna provide us units understandably, but any chance you could give us some sort of comparison to how For Honor stacks up to some of Ubi's other big releases in recent years?

Aside from Division, it has to be their biggest opening in years. I don't know offhand, but I think it's bigger than Syndicate

BriGuy

Who the hell is still buying GTAV? They got to be giving those things out like America Online CDs in the 1990s.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Aren't all these down over year numbers worrying for the industry or?? Sorry if it's a misinformed question

No because IMO we havent seen a constant declining trend yet.

Even as a whole it looks fine. For individual companies is where it can look good or bad.

The Wii U dropped the ball from the Wii. The Switch is going to pick up the slack for the Wii U.

What the Switch means for handheld category remains to be seen. At some point we are going to either include Switch in both home console and handheld categories or its going to be in one only.

massucci

Banned
In general xbox one is higher for retail sales. But if you include the ps4 bundles the opposite is true.

This was at least the whole last year with BO III the case and the previous iterations. Don't know why that would've changed. I can't give you any specific split tho, obviously

$ sales

Contributing factors:
No more Wii u sales
Ps4 slim price cut to $249 for 2 weeks out of 4 tracking (50%)
Xb1 s price cut to $249 for 10 days out of 28 tracking (over 1/3)
Ps4 pro at $399 supply shortages
But total unit numbers is also down YoY, as mentioned. But it's not 30% grim ;)
I don't believe too much to this story. I mean, it could have some supply shortage but I doubt that will improve significally the whole sales of the ps4 base. I wouldn't see Sony intentionally to limit the pro stock units if the demand was really important.

wbacon

Capcom USA
Even though I haven't played it yet but am a franchise fan, sincere congrats to RE7 for hanging up there

We are very much humbled by the critical reception RE7 received from fans and newcomers across the board. Thanks to GAF as well. We hope you give it a shot too. The Bakers will be happy to welcome you as a part of the family ;-)

While I can't share hard numbers, digital has been great for us; more so than our original projections.

You are completely wrong and yes, are salty that the games you don't like are selling well to gigantic masses of other people.

Its cool, just own it.
I still don't agree. I just feel bad genres and titles are missing and I feel publishers aren't taking a chance with many of them

Silent Hill
Dmc
Ridge racer
Motorstorm
Sly cooper

Arcade racers, kart racers, platformees, fps set outside of sprint and sight aiming, extreme sports and the list goes on. I'd love to see a new hydro, or water inspired game.

Not only that but getting those games with a budget that these other games get may even work out well.

Even crash got a sub par budget that doesn't justify the hardware. It's hard to say these things won't sell when they have had no chance the whole generation.

It's good to atleast get the niohs, re7 and other Japan games atleast but would be nice if the west can make games that dobt follow formulas and fears so much too imo

I just don't want to keep seeing last of us, cinematic or open games from Sony. They were so good last gen at getting out a great range of games. Arcade racers, platformers, action, story, rpg and just great titles. I feel they have done an 180 based off what they see in open world honestly.

I do believe there is cause of concern for everyone about this trend. Not just me, you but devs, and all gamers.

If these games take off more and more as they seem to be doing it will equal less types of games and more time spent in those open world games and less games being bought overall. Why does a far cry or Zelda love we newest to buy another game for months when they are spending 100 hours on this game. Even the publisher of said game can eventually be affected on near releases titles. Sure if ubi soft sells 5 to 8 million on every game they won't care and will just keep making those games I we and over but something has to give. Other games won't sell in those situations. Just seems like a bleak scenario for gamers overall. Not just me, but many of us. I think we saw that and felt that.

It wasn't too this year that it seemed good games actually made it out but sales were never the issue on the titles we felt went that amazing or the best of the best.

I don't believe too much to this story. I mean, it could have some supply shortage but I doubt that will improve significally the whole sales of the ps4 base. I wouldn't see Sony intentionally to limit the pro stock units if the demand was really important.

Me to and I don't believe it's a big contributing factor but I wanted to list it for the sake of completeness

Some more ps4 pro at $399 sold would increase the asp and total $ spend. No matter how slim.
Everyone with the actual report know those numbers. Would be interesting nevertheless if the pro ratio is higher or lower than november and december with 18.5%

sirronoh

I wouldn't say it's necessarily worrying but it is strange. Quality software was released, you'd expect that it would motivate people into buying hardware.

For everyone who is worrying/alarmed/freaking out/etc., keep in mind this is the fourth February these systems have been on the market. For as good as the games have been, it's natural for console sales to have peaked at this point in the generation and to start winding down YOY.

Considering all the mobile/PC doom and gloom back in the very beginning of the generation, PS4 and Xbox, but particularly PS4, have done well -- again, all things considered. PS4 is on track to do better than the previous generation which is quite remarkable.

So yes, the console industry is definitely changing (and has changed a lot already) but I don't think we should be alarmed by unit sale performance at this point. There's still lots of money to be made by all the players.

We are very much humbled by the critical reception RE7 received from fans and newcomers across the board. Thanks to GAF as well. We hope you give it a shot too. The Bakers will be happy to welcome you as a part of the family ;-)

While I can't share hard numbers, digital has been great for us; more so than our original projections.

Congrats to the whole team! I just picked up my copy of RE7 yesterday and am currently playing through Resident Evil Origins Collection.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
OléGunner;232239423 said:
Come on Gaf thought we had this figured out by now.

New PS4/XB1 sold=buying GTA V.

Yup.

I just got an XBO S for Christmas, GTA V was bought within 2 weeks.

When I get my PS4, GTA V will be bought, agan. (replacement from robbery. They also took GTA V, lol)

RexNovis

Banned
For everyone who is worrying/alarmed/freaking out/etc., keep in mind this is the fourth February these systems have been on the market. For as good as the games have been, it's natural for console sales to have peaked at this point in the generation and to start winding down YOY.

Considering all the mobile/PC doom and gloom back in the very beginning of the generation, PS4 and Xbox, but particularly PS4, have done well -- again, all things considered. PS4 is on track to do better than the previous generation which is quite remarkable.

So yes, the console industry is definitely changing (and has changed a lot already) but I don't think we should be alarmed by unit sale performance at this point. There's still lots of money to be made by all the players.

Agreed on all fronts. This is to be expected it is not a cause for concern. Dedicated consoles have proven far more successful than most expected prior to the release of PS4 and XB1 and that success means they're here to stay for now. So long as there's a market for it there's profit to be made and there are companies that will capitalize on it.

Ah well that's a bit less impressive then. Wonder what the digital split was. Curious just how much stock Sony supplied at retail.

Congratulations! The game has made a lot of people really excited about the future of Resident Evil again. Y'all did good. Now if only you could make that Onimusha game I've been waiting ages for ;)

Does this include uPlay sales?

The chart lists no Battle.net sales for Overwatch, but not no uPlay sales for For Honor.
I find this weird, too
It also does not listed no Origin sales for BF1 and other EA titels.

But afaik only digital sales through steam are tracked and included.
No other digital store fronts on PC.
No publisher is sharing data for their own store front. Only for store fronts a third party involved already has that data as platform holder.

Unless something changed recently, this should still be the case.
Matt could clarify this.

Really? I was under the impression that Sony is not giving their digital sales numbers to NPD, and that's why indeed those are not accounted in the charts, while every other game psn numbers are given by the publishers themselves

i was unter the impressing John Harker works for someone related to SIE.

Fdkn

Really? I was under the impression that Sony is not giving their digital sales numbers to NPD, and that's why indeed those are not accounted in the charts, while every other game psn numbers are given by the publishers themselves

i was unter the impressing John Harker works for ***

I'm not denying, just asking for clarification because there has been some confusions in the past too. I don't know where he works and also thought it was better not to disclose insider information like that.

I'm fine about it being true too, it was just curiosity

I'm not denying, just asking for clarification because there has been some confusions in the past too. I don't know where he works and also thought it was better not to disclose insider information like that.

This, how do we know digital if NPD & Sony doesn't give digital numbers.

Kill3r7

I wouldn't say it's necessarily worrying but it is strange. Quality software was released, you'd expect that it would motivate people into buying hardware.

The pattern is set. Slow, slow, slow until the fall. I suspect that if both HD twins are up YOY at the end of 2017 it will be because they sold 3+million units between September and the end of the year.

Ashtar

"Not a good fit!"
*bans Zhuge*
"You can't quote him."
*closes thread*

And now you're linking to him in the NPD thread. Fucking LOL
You have to admit this is pretty hilarious
Free the big homie zhuge!
where did we get the Nioh sold 230 retail from ? I saw it quoted but not sourced

RexNovis

Banned
You have to admit this is pretty hilarious
Free the big homie zhuge!
where did we get the Nioh sold 230 retail from ? I saw it quoted but not sourced

Has been and always will be ridiculous how Zhuge was treated here. After what happened I doubt he would come back even if he was allowed at this point.

But hey if things didn't happen the way they did he likely never would've made such a breakout success on twitter and would've never gotten a job working in the very industry he loves to follow and study. I'd say he made out like a bandit all things considered. The hipocracy on display in these threads is just icing on the cake for him.

This, how do we know digital if NPD & Sony doesn't give digital numbers.

Crap like this is why all our sources are pretty much gone. Stop playing detective and theorizing where our insiders work or how they get their info. Then again this always happens so clearly this community is not responsible enough to have insiders in the current NPD reporting climate. I know I sure as hell wouldn't bother/risk it if I had the means. I wouldn't blame Harker or anyone else from disappearing either.

blakep267

They pretty much dont have any other games to buy besides multiplatform ones, oh and halo wars but lets be realistic.
So MS is essentially adopting the Sony Holiday strategy and applying it to the spring

Crap like this is why all our sources are pretty much gone. Stop playing detective and theorizing where our insiders work or how they get their info. Then again this always happens so clearly this community is not responsible enough to have insiders in the current NPD reporting climate. I know I sure as hell wouldn't bother/risk it if I had the means. I wouldn't blame Harker or anyone else from disappearing either.
True. Just have some faith and move along

So MS is essentially adopting the Sony Holiday strategy and applying it to the spring

True. Just have some faith and move along

Yea, except Spring just doesn't have the plethora of multiplatform titles that Fall does so it seems like a nonsensical strategy to just lift and apply.

Stop wondering where people work. Leave them alone. You have questions? I'm right here.

Does this include uPlay sales?

The chart lists no Battle.net sales for Overwatch, but not no uPlay sales for For Honor.

I know it's confusing, I wish it wasn't.

uPlay - The only PC sales included for the chart rankings come from STEAM. Working on adding more platforms, but for now uPlay and all other digital PC platform sales are not included.

Sony - Digital sales of participating 3rd party publishers are included in both the total spend calculation as well as the individual title rankings. Digital sales of 1st party published games are included in the total spend calculation but removed from the individual title rankings.

blakep267

Yea, except Spring just doesn't have the plethora of multiplatform titles that Fall does so it seems like a nonsensical strategy to just lift and apply.
I mean this spring kinda does. Resident evil, For Honor, Ghost recon and mass effect. All of those games play well with the Xbox audience. I wouldn't say it's a lock every year but this year, more so than last year is packed (last year was mainly the division)

Fdkn

Calm down, on the contrary I am against playing detective about people. I asked about a number with no bad intentions

Stop wondering where people work. Leave them alone. You have questions? I'm right here.

Sony - Digital sales of participating 3rd party publishers are included in both the total spend calculation as well as the individual title rankings. Digital sales of 1st party published games are included in the total spend calculation but removed from the individual title rankings.

Thanks Mat for the clarification and your presence here ;)

RexNovis

Banned

uPlay - The only PC sales included for the chart rankings come from STEAM. Working on adding more platforms, but for now uPlay and all other digital PC platform sales are not included.

Wait so digital PSN sales are given to NPD but not included in the reporting? Am I reading that right? Why? Is there some reason Sony wouldn't want PSN revenue counted in the public report? I can't really think of what they have to gain by exempting themselves from that. Especially with digital skews now apparently breaching 50% on certain titles.

I know it's likely you can't really answer this I just find it really odd so I couldn't help but ask.

I mean this spring kinda does. Resident evil, For Honor, Ghost recon and mass effect. All of those games play well with the Xbox audience. I wouldn't say it's a lock every year but this year, more so than last year is packed (last year was mainly the division)

Not really. 4 games across 3 months isn't something I'd liken to your typical fall lineup. November for example usually has a similar amount of big games launching in a much closer time frame than what you listed.

Some people don't like taking info at face value .
Even more so since other insiders never really seem to talk about Sony DD info .
I sure people are happy about it but you should already know how it is .

EDIT seem mat explain some stuff above.

Top Bottom