• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil |OT| I'm From Another Dimension

7YkUOyr.jpg

Summary:

When Princess Star Butterfly unleashes chaos on her kingdom due to her recently gifted powers, her parents send her to Earth to better control herself. She ends up living with Diaz family and along with her new friend Marco Diaz, sets out for crazy adventures and days in Echo Creek, where fighting evil monsters and using magical powers become the norm.

Characters:

it1STin.jpg

Star Butterfly:

The main female protagonist of the series. The hyperactive, fun seeking princess from the Kingdom of Menwi, Star was sent to Echo Creek by her parents after numerous battles with monsters and misuses of her magical wand's powers endangered the entire kingdom.

l24Au8o.jpg

Marco Diaz:

The main male protagonist of the series. The level headed yet overly cautious best friend of Star on Earth. His family houses Star while she's in Echo Creek and Marco being a bit of a thrill seeker, always ends up on her wacky adventures.

latest

Ludo:

The main antagonist of the series. A greedy, bird like monster, Ludo is intent on stealing Star's wand, the source of her magic, in order to conquer the universe.

Where to watch? :

Star vs. the Forces of Evil premieres on March 30th 8 p.m. on Disney XD.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I was interested in a new original Disney cartoon after marathoning Gravity Falls, but everything I've seen so far looks too cartoony. That screen is a perfect example of the exaggerated faces that turned me off of Amy Poehler's cartoon. It's just so... embarrassing.

And if there are 2 OTs, one should be locked so we know which one to use.

I watched it last night with my kids. I liked it quite a bit, but MAN is it derivative. Scott Pilgrim done in the style of Katie Rice (and visually a lot of Scott Pilgrim, too). Ironic princess tropes as pioneered by MLP.

That said, it was very well crafted, writing, voices, and visually.

And to the now banned poster one door up, you're nuts. That constant manic exaggeration is one of the best things about the show.

Watched it last night and LOVED IT. Yeah, it kinda feels like it's jumping on this bandwagon of "CRAZY HYPERACTIVE GIRLY PROTRAGONIST!" But it's really amusing. Can't believe Alan Tudyk is voicing the bad guy, he's so damn good.

Azzurri

Just caught it now and liked it.

It seems like it's gear way more towards teens to adults than young kids.

Resident GF-GAFfer here.

I liked the premise of the show. Wacky as shit, and they didn't make the male sidekick into a bumbling idiot.

But HOLY FUCK Star's voice is super-annoying. I mean, like Ariana Grande's screechy "Cat" voice with strep throat bad...

Maybe it's just me, or the pilot rubbed me the wrong way...

Nice OT btw

Is this a Lauren Faust joint? Disney XD is really trying ride the wave of CN-esque shows, rather than finding their own identity.

Nope, the creator is fresh out of Animation School, but it IS a woman though first female created series on Disney since Pepper Ann. Forgot her name offhand though.

Edit: Daron Nefcy, that's her name.

Watched the first 3 (or 6) episodes. Given that it's a Disney show, I'm surprised at the wanton destruction everyone is allowed to get away with, including beating up an 8-year-old in "Monster Arm". It's odd that with this and Gravity Falls, it looks like Disney's children cartoons are getting away with more than the other networks. Star and Marco are both likeable, but Ponyhead is really annoying, and I'm not a fan of Marco's friends. Considering the title, the Forces of Evil play a surprisingly small role.

The series is fun, but it doesn't really work in a marathon, I felt. There is already a bit of continuity, so perhaps the series will get better once more is established. That said, I don't think we'll get serious stories or anything.

This show is Manic Pixie Dream Girl the cartoon, and I'm not really a fan of the concept.

they didn't make the male sidekick into a bumbling idiot.

No, but he's still the only one who ever gets hurt, which is an equally annoying double standard.

Case and point, episode 4-a:

Marco's Bad Day-
Dude gets badly beaten and humiliated on the way to school, has a swollen eye during a photo and break's his crush's skateboard.
Star's Bad Day-
A guy she likes doesn't call her.

I mean, come on. If their roles were reversed, and the pretty princess was the one getting wrecked all the time, at least it would be interesting and subversive.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Anyone else been watching this? Not exactly loving it as much as I initially hoped, but I do enjoy it well enough. It's not bad or anything, it's just that the episodes so far haven't been all that funny or memorable for me.

Where the show really shines is the visuals. Man, the animation and character designs are always so damn appealing. The main villain's random henchmen are very creative monstrosities.

It's also kinda neat how often some characters change their clothes. I think I've seen Star switch between like 5 or 6 different outfits. You don't normally see that in serialized animation.

If they can somehow sharpen up the scripts, I think this show could really take off.

I've been keeping up with new episodes, but yeah, it isn't something I get too excited about. I feel like it may get better given some more time, though.

It's fun. I admit it's not terribly groundbreaking or anything, but I've been enjoying it. I think it's just too early right now.

The sad thing is I think I prefer Disney's other new cartoon. Penn Zero, but it almost seems like the polar opposite of Star. Better writing and concept, but the visuals seem like more typical Flash animation. I actually thought it was a Canadian import when I saw commercials of it.

Anyone else still watching this? I just caught episode 8. Liked how the first half ended between Star and Diego and the second half seems to have introduced a major antagonist.

Yup! It's a lot of fun, haven't missed an episode. Wish they'd flesh out a few more characters and introduce some serialized elements but it's early yet.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Anyone else still watching this? I just caught episode 8. Liked how the first half ended between Star and Diego and the second half seems to have introduced a major antagonist.
These have been the only two episodes I've genuinely liked. It helps that Tom (the ex-boyfriend) and Toffee (classy lizard man) were interesting antagonists.

A lot of funny little gags throughout. The horse just now realizing that he was dead got the biggest laugh out of me.

Sou Da

I really really really want to like this show but the voice acting puts me off.

It's just straight up a middle aged woman's voice coming out of Star.

These have been the only two episodes I've genuinely liked. It helps that Tom (the ex-boyfriend) and Toffee (classy lizard man) were interesting antagonists.

A lot of funny little gags throughout. The horse just now realizing that he was dead got the biggest laugh out of me.

Yeah they were really great. The craziest thing I noticed in the credits was seeing who voiced Toffee

dexter-season-61.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing what happens with him around.

Caught up.

With "Blood Moon Ball", I've actually been hoping for Star X Marco hints since the first preview of the series, but now that it's actually happening... eh. At the very least, it feels off for Marco to have shown no interest in her at all until this point, and now they are being put together by Blood Moon destiny due to him being overprotective. Tom was a fun character, though, and his Underworld is interesting. The animation was quite impressive here.

With "Fortune Cookies"... well I'll be damned, we're actually getting what appears to be an overarching story. Toffee was a nice contrast to the other Forces of Evil, and hopefully they do something interesting with him in the future.

Catalix

Yeah they were really great. The craziest thing I noticed in the credits was seeing who voiced Toffee

dexter-season-61.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing what happens with him around.
That totally caught me by surprise as well. I just thought he had a cool voice, but didn't recognize it as MCH.

I did recognize Ryder Strong (Shawn from Boy Meets World) as the voice of Tom though. Couldn't quite place who it was at first, but it eventually clicked. Great casting on both parts.

With "Fortune Cookies"... well I'll be damned, we're actually getting what appears to be an overarching story. Toffee was a nice contrast to the other Forces of Evil, and hopefully they do something interesting with him in the future.
Yeah, it's nice to have an actual force of EVIL in the mix for once. With Ludo and his minions, their routine was already getting old for me. Just knowing that Toffee will be sticking around has me more invested.

Yep, was just about to post it. The first double length episode didn't disappoint. For those wanting some serious progression, I think you should watch this.

Once again, really shocked to find out who was voicing the new villain. Jessica Walters. From watching Dinosaurs and Archer, she sounds so much more sinister here. My sister and I failed to recognize her, she sounded so different. Really looking forward to seeing more of her.

I really enjoyed today's episode, even though Pony Head is still my least fave character. (Yes I am well aware this is only her second appearance, I just thought she was really annoying)

I really liked this episode. There was some really random stuff like the legs under the rug that were pretty funny. The full half hour episode length helped flesh out what would probably be a simple break in story. It was nice to finally see the horrified St. Olga's School after several episodes of buildup. The ending seems to foreshadow a new recurring enemy for Star and Marco.

Going over the episodes I didn't cover:

The time stop episode was pretty fun, though I really don't care about Marco's crush on that one girl. There is a plot hole in that the way to undo the time stop spell is included in the spellbook, implying that time was stopped before, so how can this by the first time Father Time's wheel was stopped?

The episode with Star's father was also fun. I liked the gag of him thinking a miniature golf castle represented an invasion, Pony Head's father(?) at the party, and the sun god's gravity pulling people toward him.

As for the new full-episode? It was pretty good. We got a magical girl transformation sequence, for Star to just add an eyepatch and spikes to her outfit. Per cartoon tradition, Marco actually doesn't look bad as a girl. St. Olga's school was pretty interesting, and I liked Marco using prison movie cliches to get around. It was really odd that Star was able to just use magic to break out in the end, considering that they had an anti-warp generator, so you'd think they'd have a way to handle magic. Still hate Pony Head, though.

I was kind of surprised that this episode went through with having Marco disguised as a princess. When I first saw Mewberty, it felt to me like the episode was leading up to Marco cross-dressing or something to that effect to repel Star and trick Glossarick into obeying him (because he only listens to princesses). It had every excuse to go that route, but didn't, which led me to believe that maybe the show was going to try to avoid that.

"St. Olga's Reform School for Wayward Princesses" was a great episode!
The stakes were high, and there was a lot of action and adventure packed into it.
Honestly, it's really cool to see that kind of storytelling mixed with Star's random goofy cutesy (but strange) magical girl fantasy atmosphere. I hope it happens more often.
In addition to that, I really can't wait to see what they do with this rogues gallery they seem to be building; just going off the events from this episode, they could really take Miss Heinous to some interesting places.

Also, I've got to applaud the creators for the way they handled Princess Marco; Usually straight gender conforming cis male characters crossdressing in animation leads to a myriad of effemiphobic (...or femmephobic or sissyphobic, take your pick) and transmisogynistic microaggressions in the form of ill-conceived "jokes".
It was nice to see this episode avoid all of that.
Marco wasn't made fun of by the other characters for being in a dress (Which I honestly thought Pony Head would do, but she just thought it was an ugly dress), he didn't constantly complain about having to be a girl, he wasn't treated as if he was the ugliest princess ever, he embraced being a princess pretty quickly, and he still managed to be the really competent "muggle friend" character he usually is.
I also appreciate that he wasn't speaking in some dumb "this is obviously somebody pretending to be a girl" falsetto voice for the entirety of the episode.
Again, props to the SvsTFoE team for the way they handled this.

PaulloDEC

I've just gotten caught up with this, and I quite like it. Star and Marco are both fun characters to be around, and while the world hasn't had an awful lot of focus yet it's still creative and interesting.

They're clearly not going for a Steven Universe or Gravity Falls style of ongoing storytelling, but it's nice seeing a few plot threads being left dangling for future use. The episodes are cute and fun enough on their own to keep me watching anyway, though.

Also, Jessica Walter AND Jeffrey Tambor guest spots? I can't say no to that.

Odoul

Wasn't expecting Manifest Destiny, ethnic cleansing and historical whitewashing in a Disney show.

+I like what they do with sound here. A lot less audible cues to jokes and background music than other shows, still there just restrained.

+The animation is pretty great.

+The show veeeery subtly is building a world/mythology without beating you across the head with it like it's contmeparies.

+This show can go real dark, real fast. It takes the idea of a pretty horrible world wrapped up cutesy colors and shapes of Adventure Time and might actually take it up a notch.

-Character designs are pretty reminiscent of every other cartoon put out in the last 5 years.

-Star's voice is hit and miss. Sometimes perfect/hilarious, others hard to even understand.

Overall a pretty great show.

Wasn't expecting Manifest Destiny, ethnic cleansing and historical whitewashing in a Disney show.

I really wasn't expecting this either, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.
"Mewnipendence Day" reminds me of how much I'm enjoying the recent trend of funny/silly general audience-aimed TV cartoons getting more and more complex, interesting, and surprising with their storytelling and lore as they move along.
I adore how shows like SvstFoE/Steven Universe/Gravity Falls are so fluid in terms of the experiences they offer and what kind of emotions/feelings they want to stir up in the viewer; they can be funny, they can be serious, they can be silly, they can be dark, they can be uplifting, they can be action packed, or they can be sad.
It's amazing, and another reason why being an animation buff in this era is pretty rewarding and quite unique.

Did this show get a new animation company or something? The last two episodes seem slightly different in animation compared to previous ones.

Did this show get a new animation company or something? The last two episodes seem slightly different in animation compared to previous ones.

No, you're not crazy, Mercury Filmworks (the show's primary animator) had been trying to lighten their work load and Star has been shuffled around different audios.

As said above, I like the direction this show is taking. It seemed like harmless fluff at first but after recent episodes it looks they're adding little bits of story progression and world building here and there, and it's quite nice.

Tizoc

Eden Sher is really having fun voicing Star hah.

In Ep. 5 though why does Marco have car/motion sickness? In a previous episode he was rushing to catch and ride a bus...

Top Bottom