• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT9| Genki-Drama

It's a stretch but I often wonder if the writers were taking influence from Evangelion, which had the TV show end a year before/film debut months prior. The ambiguity is just uncharacteristic of Dragon Ball, and several anime were then influenced by the series.
Taking away the Dragon Balls (and likewise Goku) for a century (?) to encourage independency from them seemed like a nice way to end the series. It then just rubs off as weird and almost unsettling when Goku ups and vanishes, whilst telling Vegeta to shush before he opens his mouth.

I do hope Dragon Ball Super ends with some sort of moment between Goku and Bulma as a bookend between the first issue and now.

I feel like Goku going away with shenron was similar to taking the dragon balls away, in a way. Like Goku finally left so that the world could go on without him, and people would learn to get by without relying on him to save the world all the time.

Idk, I thought the ending was really interesting, even if it was ambiguous

Or maybe Goku did die or something, who knows

Anth0ny

Toei just took down two of my Dragon Ball FighterZ comparison videos (which weren't even being monetized, mind you). one more strike and my whole channel gets taken down :mad:

i just want to make free dragon ball videos and sell your products for you! is that so much to ask?!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Toei just took down two of my Dragon Ball FighterZ comparison videos (which weren't even being monetized, mind you). one more strike and my whole channel gets taken down :mad:

i just want to make free dragon ball videos and sell your products for you! is that so much to ask?!
Contact the PR and explain, they will most likely remove the strikes.

Anth0ny

Contact the PR and explain, they will most likely remove the strikes.

lol I wrote a 2000 word essay on why I believe the videos fall under fair use... but then when you have to actually submit the counter-notification you have like 200 words max to explain yourself. so dumb, but I'm hoping for the best!

Doubt it. Animation may take a hit for a couple episodes maybe
Unless the plan is to end Super and end with a movie which pfft yea right
Apparently dragonball2019 and 2020 are registered domains too. I have heard some speculation about Super going on hiatus for a few years of movies.

Probably not very likely, but on the off chance though

Apparently dragonball2019 and 2020 are registered domains too. I have heard some speculation about Super going on hiatus for a few years of movies.

Probably not very likely, but on the off chance though

O I didn't know about 2019 and 2020 also yea that's weird than

With it becoming increasingly apparent that Dragon Ball is here to stay they might just be covering their bases and getting the domains now in case they want to do anything with them.

TCKaos

Huh, I completely forgot about this part of the Battle of Gods movie.

(specifically the part where after Goku gets overwhelmed by Beerus, it suddenly goes quiet, there's that burst of blue ki that envelops him for a split second, and then Beerus has a sweat drop and asks what Goku just did, only for Goku to say he doesn't know)

Though probably coincidental, the trailers had the bit where he powered up afterwards also use a blue aura, in contrast to the red aura that he has in the film.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Not confirmed yet but possible new form leaked. Posted yesterday on 2ch.
8ZnyCOC.jpg

Piers

I feel like Goku going away with shenron was similar to taking the dragon balls away, in a way. Like Goku finally left so that the world could go on without him, and people would learn to get by without relying on him to save the world all the time.

Idk, I thought the ending was really interesting, even if it was ambiguous

Or maybe Goku did die or something, who knows

You're right, it was compelling, and you also explained the meaning better than I did. Maybe the only thing that possibly skews it is that Toriyama's intended personality with Goku is that he wants to fight tough people. He isn't hung up on heroics — so by nature he wouldn't really care if people want saving, as he'd get the benefits of a (possibly) strong opponent.

is the animation where Hit is flying off the screen reused? Not the bit that they reuse from when he blew off Kale, but the bit where he is actually being propelled off by the blast. It looks familiar.

You're right, it was compelling, and you also explained the meaning better than I did. Maybe the only thing that possibly skews it is that Toriyama's intended personality with Goku is that he wants to fight tough people. He isn't hung up on heroics — so by nature he wouldn't really care if people want saving, as he'd get the benefits of a (possibly) strong opponent.

goku for sure doesn't consider himself a hero, but even in the Buu arc, and at EoZ, he knows he can't keep rescuing his friends and the earth forever. Gohan, Goten and Trunks were supposed to fulfill that role in the Buu arc (lol), and even at EoZ, he took Uub to train to eventually become his "successor"

so it's not an entirely foreign concept for them to explore

HeroR

is the animation where Hit is flying off the screen reused? Not the bit that they reuse from when he blew off Kale, but the bit where he is actually being propelled off by the blast. It looks familiar.

goku for sure doesn't consider himself a hero, but even in the Buu arc, and at EoZ, he knows he can't keep rescuing his friends and the earth forever. Gohan, Goten and Trunks were supposed to fulfill that role in the Buu arc (lol), and even at EoZ, he took Uub to train to eventually become his "successor"

so it's not an entirely foreign concept for them to explore

We both know that was a BS excuse Goku made up. lol

Morlas

i love how lame fanartists love the huge muscles on these characters even though the show itself said that having huge muscles was just a disadvantage for them

Daingurse

i love how lame fanartists love the huge muscles on these characters even though the show itself said that having huge muscles was just a disadvantage for them

I think I understand it. I like huge dudes in this kind of media. There's just something about overmuscled characters that I find appealing. It's why I loved Ultra Trunks, even though the form was useless lol.

caliph95

I think I understand it. I like huge dudes in this kind of media. There's just something about overmuscled characters that I find appealing. It's why I loved Ultra Trunks, even though the form was useless lol.
Something something Toriko

I really don't care either way especially since I am the guy prefer the less muscular and fabulous era of jojo than the overall muscular era

As long as the design or the story is good whatever

Daingurse

Something something Toriko

I really don't care either way especially since I am the guy prefer the less muscular and fabulous era of jojo than the overall muscular era

As long as the design or the story is good whatever

Lol. I think that was part of the reason why I enjoyed Toriko. It definitely had that old shonen feel, and Toriko was a pretty swole dude.

I dig all sorts of different character designs, but what can I say, I love muscles! Haha.

oliva.jpg

Lol. I think that was part of the reason why I enjoyed Toriko. It definitely had that old shonen feel, and Toriko was a pretty swole dude.

I dig all sorts of different character designs, but what can I say, I love muscles! Haha.

oliva.jpg
You must love Toguro then...can't blame you if you do.

Anth0ny

I don't think I'd go as far as to say it's my favorite form yet, but it's amazing how much great animation, choreography and a mother fucking insert song can do to make a moment, and in this case a new form, feel totally special.

Maddness

Gohan definitely bulked up in the Buu arc. Too bad that just meant he fell a lot harder than if he didn't. What a waste. I am not the biggest fan of Gohan (it's all Frieza) but I was looking forward to him taking over the mantle. Hopefully he'll get his spotlight back, but I won't be surprised either way.

LotusHD

Banned
the more i go back and look at it the more i'm convinced that Ultra Instinct is my favorite goku form yet

tumblr_oxijl8X5Up1rd4ymxo2_500.gif

It's the brand new thing that we've only seen once, as opposed to the older forms that we've seen a million times already, actually has him fight in a visually distinct manner compared to past forms, while actually looking cool af, so yea, I can see why you'd feel that way lol

I just hope they'll be maintain the same feel in the lesser episode. Seeing UI Goku fight like normal Goku later down the line would be super disappointing.

Top Bottom