• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomba - Wii U Basic with Nintendoland for $300 at Best Buy

Boy, what a fucking blood bath this topic has become. Console loyalty is dumb, mistakes were made. Nintendo fucked up on all fronts, their lies were bound to catch up with them.

With the somewhat lukewarm response to the Wii U launch, it wouldn't surprise me to see MS leak more information about their new console to try and steal the spotlight away a bit until the E3 unveiling....

guek

Banned
Not surprised this is happening. I'd guess price drop to $249 for the deluxe edition before the end of Spring. There is just no interest for this thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see only 200,000-300,000 units sold in December in the USA.

When it does close to 600k, will you still say there's no interest because it didn't sell out?

When it does close to 600k, will you still say there's no interest because it didn't sell out?

600,000 would still not be very good for a new console that just launched with tons of stock available during the busiest shopping season of the year. If they can't even move that many units during Christmas, what do you think will happen the rest of the year?

guek

Banned
600,000 would still not be very good for a new console that just launched with tons of stock available during the busiest shopping season of the year. If they can't even move that many units during Christmas, what do you think will happen the rest of the year?

PS2 sold 522k units in its first december

360 sold 280k units in its first december.

PS3 sold 490k units in its first december.

Wii sold almost exactly 600k units in its first december.

Get some knowledge, it'll do you some good. Seriously, the ignorance when it comes to people talking sales is headache inducing.

Darryl

Banned

you're really overestimating the impact of launch sales. it's not doomed yet, just hold on a little longer and maybe you'll get what you're looking for.

Get some knowledge, it'll do you some good. Seriously, the ignorance when it comes to people talking sales is headache inducing.

All of these were incredibly hard to find as they couldn't meet demand their first Christmas except for the PS2 and would have sold much more if stock would have been there. Wii U is available everywhere. Ignorance? Riiight. I'm sure I'm the one being ignorant.

AniHawk

i would jump on it and put nintendoland towards nsmbu in preparation for the system also having rayman legends and pikmin 3, but i get the feeling that this thing as a long way to slide.

looking forward to nintendo's plan b for the wii u considering how they handeld the 3ds.

guek

Banned
All of these were incredibly hard to find as they couldn't meet demand their first Christmas except for the PS2 and would have sold much more if stock would have been there. Wii U is available everywhere. Ignorance? Riiight. I'm sure I'm the one being ignorant.

So if Wii U sold out but only hit 300k, that's better than selling 600k and still retaining stock? That's mind numbingly stupid, man. You're free to interpret these numbers to mean whatever fantasy you want. But whether or not you're willing to admit it, I'm going to take it upon myself to tell you your interpretation is wrong. Life does not exist in black and white and products aren't necessarily flops if they happen to stay in stock. You can talk about potential sales and consumer demand and what may have happened how, when, and if historical launches were better supplied but you have no way of knowing where the chips would have actually fallen. The only consoles you can say in that list that would have sold substantially more had they been in abundant stock is the PS2 and Wii but even then you can't say at all if they would have sold 100k more or 1 million more. And to think that a console has to live up to either the PS2 or Wii in order to be considered a success...that's just terribly misguided.

edit: ok, upon rereading my post, I came across a bit too strongly so I edited out some of my more inflammatory comments. I don't want to get into insulting people on gaf so I apologize. I just find Bobo's line of thinking incredibly annoying.

Darryl

Banned

very few items this holiday season suffered any production limitations at all, even the hit ones. could easily get any kid who wanted one an ipad mini, furby, xbox 360, or wii u.

[Clark Gable];45796743 said:
Boy, what a fucking blood bath this topic has become. Console loyalty is dumb, mistakes were made. Nintendo fucked up on all fronts, their lies were bound to catch up with them.

They did fuck up big but I will admit after playing with it for awhile it does have some pretty cool features and I actually like the tablet controller. It just needs better games and its going to be handicapped for the next 5 years with weaker graphics so I hope Nintendo has a nice pipeline of 1080p AAA titles to take peoples minds off that.

gatti-man

Ps3 was everywhere. You are really getting rocked in this argument FYI.

What concerns me more than the hardware sales in a way is the software sales. It's sort of hard to judge if the Wii U will be a success at this point based on the number of hardware units sold, but those software numbers are perturbingly low from what I saw. What are people doing with their Wii U's?? They are certainly not buying games for it. Is it another Netflix box or something? Maybe it's the Wii TV??

liger05

Amen to that

The people who thnk the Wii U isn't having a bad launch are in denial. It really is that simple. You're going to realize this early next year when the sales numbers are abysmal after the holiday season has ended. This is the 3DS all over again, and Nintendo may even have to resort to a sudden and dramatic price drop, as they did with the 3DS a few months after it launched.

When sales are soft during the holiday season, and stock is sitting available everywhere, that tells you Nintendo thought there was going to be more demand than there was. Nintendo is a conservative company. They don't manufacture more stock than they have to. If they made a million for Christmas, they believed they were going to sell a million. Sales are clearly not what they expected. Just as they did with the 3DS, Nintendo misread the level of enthusiasm prior to launch, and priced the product arrogantly high. It backfired, again.

The software lineup is also very weak for 2013. Not a single blockbuster game is on the way to save the day. Pikmin 3? Sure, a cool game, but not a chance it's going to drive hardware sales. So not only do we have a weak launch at retail, we have a software lineup for 2013 that gives us no reason to believe things will change anytime soon. This is why I used the word denial earlier. The writing is on the wall.

very few items this holiday season suffered any production limitations at all, even the hit ones. could easily get any kid who wanted one an ipad mini, furby, xbox 360, or wii u.

You couldn't be more wrong about the iPad Mini.

My brother desperately wanted one for his girlfriend. A week before Christmas they were impossible to find near Chicago.

You apparently think that consoles sell the most in their first December on the market. They don't. Actually that's usually their worst December until like the 5th or 6th year or even later.

IrishNinja

is "have you played it?" the ultimate defense force special attack?

now the debate is...."you think they are mini games, but they are full games to me!"?

so it's DF activity to ask if you've played a game before stating an opinion on it now? i don't know what's more foolish, that or your 2nd sentence, none of which did i or anyone but you claim.

goomba

Banned

You really should check historic console launch numbers before declaring what would be a good launch.

wow, you're full of it aren't you.

Derrick01

Banned
Even Cheapassgamer is anti neogaf lol. They said neogaf is bitter about vita being a failure, what does that got to do with wiiu ?

Shows what little CAG knows. Until like...5 days ago this place was as anti Vita as you could get outside of the Vita game thread.

Coolwhip

Banned
So if Wii U sold out but only hit 300k, that's better than selling 600k and still retaining stock? That's mind numbingly stupid, man. You're free to interpret these numbers to mean whatever fantasy you want. But whether or not you're willing to admit it, I'm going to take it upon myself to tell you your interpretation is wrong. Life does not exist in black and white and products aren't necessarily flops if they happen to stay in stock. You can talk about potential sales and consumer demand and what may have happened how, when, and if historical launches were better supplied but you have no way of knowing where the chips would have actually fallen. The only consoles you can say in that list that would have sold substantially more had they been in abundant stock is the PS2 and Wii but even then you can't say at all if they would have sold 100k more or 1 million more. And to think that a console has to live up to either the PS2 or Wii in order to be considered a success...that's just terribly misguided.

edit: ok, upon rereading my post, I came across a bit too strongly so I edited out some of my more inflammatory comments. I don't want to get into insulting people on gaf so I apologize. I just find Bobo's line of thinking incredibly annoying.

Yes like I posted before, some people on GAF are only impressed when Apple craze happens and it's sold out everywhere. Something that mainly happens in the US btw.

Dunkelgrau

I'm growing increasingly puzzled at these types of responses given that the system is launched. We have first and third party games released. We know of the games about to come out. Now, I don't doubt that we'll see stuff on the Wii U that looks better than what came out at launch. But there is this sentiment out there that I keep seeing that seems to think that the Wii U just has tons of completely untapped potential that we are bound to see, and I don't know why.

I am a big Nintendo-Fan and Wii U-Owner, but that is so fucking true, bro.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

I see you're back

Fox Mulder

What concerns me more than the hardware sales in a way is the software sales. It's sort of hard to judge if the Wii U will be a success at this point based on the number of hardware units sold, but those software numbers are perturbingly low from what I saw. What are people doing with their Wii U's?? They are certainly not buying games for it. Is it another Netflix box or something? Maybe it's the Wii TV??

Besides NSMBU and some Nintendoland, it's been an expensive wii for me. I've picked up a bunch of the great games I missed like donkey kong country returns, galaxy, etc.

IrishNinja

I hope this is the last time we see multiple console sku's at launch

This I can get behind. I hate this crap.

i really don't get this stance: why do you dislike options? ive seen many people on GAF call the cheaper option the "tard pack" but looking back at the PS3 (possibly the 360 one, depending on how much you needed an HDD that first year or so) they weren't bad deals.

basic set for $50 less without the loyalty plan (doesn't matter if you don't intend to buy much digital, and with the questions surrounding account migration many here would likely be apprehensive) and minus Nintendoland, which again i think is a really fun game but it's not for everyone.

i can't imagine being upset by said option existing.

pestul

Besides NSMBU and some Nintendoland, it's been an expensive wii for me. I've picked up a bunch of the great games I missed like donkey kong country returns, galaxy, etc.

Yeah, same for me too. I skipped the Wii, and after NSMBU, Nintendoland and Nano Assault Neo.. I'm jumping into last gen with the Zeldas. I still have yet to play SM Galaxy or Xenoblade. I love bargin bin pricing on games.

pestul

I really don't understand what Nintendo was thinking with the sku differences. They should have called it Wii 2 and launched in white/black with Nintendoland at $299. I guess they might see it as a positive launch by nearly selling out all the deluxe models, but there are a lot of basics floating around.

Davey Cakes

This is terrible! Everybody being so mean to each other. Everybody cool down and go play some games.
Nintendo brings both the best and worst out of people. On the gaming side, it's like a Nintendo Paradise where everyone is happy and content.

On the discussion side, things get fiery, especially when it concerns Nintendo's failures.

qq more

They did fuck up big but I will admit after playing with it for awhile it does have some pretty cool features and I actually like the tablet controller. It just needs better games and its going to be handicapped for the next 5 years with weaker graphics so I hope Nintendo has a nice pipeline of 1080p AAA titles to take peoples minds off that.

The GamePad is really the damn best thing Nintendo has made in a long time. And yeah I really hope the Wii U gets a steady library but I don't feel too confident about that.

It'll probably have much better Eshop support since that dumb 40MB limit is not present.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I bet if the wii u sold a million units at launch we would have seen a lot "pffth just like wii, it will be collecting dust soon" posts.

Flavius

Nintendo brings both the best and worst out of people. On the gaming side, it's like a Nintendo Paradise where everyone is happy and content.

On the discussion side, things get fiery, especially when it concerns Nintendo's failures.

Nintendo Paradise - open world Nintendo racer developed by EA/Criterion.

Let me know when they make that one and I'll slap my money down on the counter so hard, your head'll spin!

It took 14 hours to download Ninja Gaiden 3 and I've the console freeze. 4 times this morning. Ugh. At the same time, it's a lot of fun to at Trine 2 while my wife uses our only TV, but well see how long the new toy fun lasts.

vctor182

The people who thnk the Wii U isn't having a bad launch are in denial. It really is that simple. You're going to realize this early next year when the sales numbers are abysmal after the holiday season has ended. This is the 3DS all over again, and Nintendo may even have to resort to a sudden and dramatic price drop, as they did with the 3DS a few months after it launched.

When sales are soft during the holiday season, and stock is sitting available everywhere, that tells you Nintendo thought there was going to be more demand than there was. Nintendo is a conservative company. They don't manufacture more stock than they have to. If they made a million for Christmas, they believed they were going to sell a million. Sales are clearly not what they expected. Just as they did with the 3DS, Nintendo misread the level of enthusiasm prior to launch, and priced the product arrogantly high. It backfired, again.

The software lineup is also very weak for 2013. Not a single blockbuster game is on the way to save the day. Pikmin 3? Sure, a cool game, but not a chance it's going to drive hardware sales. So not only do we have a weak launch at retail, we have a software lineup for 2013 that gives us no reason to believe things will change anytime soon. This is why I used the word denial earlier. The writing is on the wall.

This is Final Fantasy XIII betrayalton level...

The people who thnk the PS4 isn't having a bad launch are in denial. It really is that simple. You're going to realize this early next year when the sales numbers are abysmal after the holiday season has ended. This is the PS3 all over again, and Sony may even have to resort to a sudden and dramatic price drop, as they did with the PS3 a few months after it launched.

When sales are soft during the holiday season, and stock is sitting available everywhere, that tells you Sony thought there was going to be more demand than there was. Sony is a conservative company. They don't manufacture more stock than they have to. If they made a million for Christmas, they believed they were going to sell a million. Sales are clearly not what they expected. Just as they did with the PS3, Sony misread the level of enthusiasm prior to launch, and priced the product arrogantly high. It backfired, again.

The software lineup is also very weak for 2013. Not a single blockbuster game is on the way to save the day. God of War 4? Sure, a cool game, but not a chance it's going to drive hardware sales. So not only do we have a weak launch at retail, we have a software lineup for 2013 that gives us no reason to believe things will change anytime soon. This is why I used the word denial earlier. The writing is on the wall.

Taurus

This is funny. :lol

Davey Cakes

The GamePad is really the damn best thing Nintendo has made in a long time. And yeah I really hope the Wii U gets a steady library but I don't feel too confident about that.
The Gamepad doesn't even exist for some people. Neither does Miiverse or any of the other unique features of the system. The actual unique aspects of it are put by the wayside, in favor of discussions of pure power. The way some of the discussions go on here, you'd think that the Wii U really was just a carbon copy of the X360 but with a Nintendo label and Nintendo's failures attached to it. Sorry for the naysayers but that's just not the case. I have an X360 and the Wii U provides a completely different sort of gaming environment.

And yes, the controller is a bigger part of it than some people think. As much as I think NSMBU looks amazing on my HDTV, more often than not I'll actually just play the game on the Gamepad while curled up on the couch. I'll play the game on the TV in specific situations. Nintendo Land would be the same way if many games didn't use the upper screen (but the other day I was playing DK's Crash Course and didn't even turn the TV on). Nintendo's system has versatility this way, and can serve as a nice bridge between console and handheld experiences. Vita owners seems to enjoy the connectivity between the Vita and PS3, so it's not like this stuff is a fluke. It's pretty nice.

In short, the Wii U is more than just a more powerful Wii, and peoples' desires for the system will likely be based more on its unique games and features than its CPU, GPU, and RAM. I feel like this is the case with all consoles though and places like GAF are merely where people have many more particularities.

i really don't get this stance: why do you dislike options? ive seen many people on GAF call the cheaper option the "tard pack" but looking back at the PS3 (possibly the 360 one, depending on how much you needed an HDD that first year or so) they weren't bad deals.

basic set for $50 less without the loyalty plan (doesn't matter if you don't intend to buy much digital, and with the questions surrounding account migration many here would likely be apprehensive) and minus Nintendoland, which again i think is a really fun game but it's not for everyone.

i can't imagine being upset by said option existing.

Yeah, personally, I don't understand the sentiment. It seems that the Deluxe is more desirable. But based on the derision of some, you'd think that Basic units were completely unsellable while Deluxes were impossible to find. "Nintendo really screwed the pooch by not selling only a Deluxe unit!" I would agree with this assessment if they were unable to meet demand for the Deluxe version, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see how eliminating the Basic SKU really helps anyone.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

PS3s were definitely not hard to find during the holidays (599 US dollars anyone?) 360s as well.

The Gamepad doesn't even exist for some people. Neither does Miiverse or any of the other unique features of the system. The actual unique aspects of it are put by the wayside, in favor of discussions of pure power. The way some of the discussions go on here, you'd think that the Wii U really was just a carbon copy of the X360 but with a Nintendo label and Nintendo's failures attached to it. Sorry for the naysayers but that's just not the case. I have an X360 and the Wii U provides a completely different sort of gaming environment.

I don't necessarily think that the issue for some is that they want to pretend that these aspects don't exist in as much as it is that many are convinced that these features aren't the system-selling gamechangers that the system needs to make up for the raw horsepower deficiency. Obviously, time will tell. Last go around, the motion-control aspects of the Wiimote were enough to make the system a runaway success despite criticisms that the hardware itself was two Gamecubes duct taped together. They need similar enthusiasm for the GamePad.

Personally, though I like the GamePad, I'm not convinced that it really sells the Wii U. It's neat. I like it. I'm glad that it's there. But I'm not convinced of its mass market appeal. I'm skeptical that it really resonates with consumers in any meaningful way. But, again, time will tell.

Top Bottom