• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the New Faces of Nintendo

Jyester

Great write-up! I admit I've been too focused on the old guard to really get to know the "new" people. Koizumi seems like a guy who gets it. I never liked Miyamoto's insistence on keeping story completely out of his games. Zelda specifically has been in need of a narrative overhaul.

And who cares if he's excited to be in the spotlight for the company? Who wouldn't be, especially considering his career?

That was during Suda51's bit, right? I mean, Suda51 is an eccentric dude. I don't speak Japanese, so I just assumed that he was indeed saying lots of unscripted and untranslatable weird Suda51 stuff on stage and the translator just went "WTF???!?? PLZ HELP!!!"

That translator-BSoD was the best bit of the presentation, btw.
That was my impression too. Felt bad for the guy, although it almost sounded like he gave up at some point. The other translator(s) obviously had a clear script to work with whereas Suda probably decided to wing it.

Jintor

Koizumi kicked ass. Squid research guy only other side I recall

Part of me really hopes koizumi is actually an amateur magician

Aegus

Nice to put faces to the names of some of the people who should be looking for new jobs in 4 years time.

Nice to put faces to the names of some of the people who should be looking for new jobs in 4 years time.

I mean, if anything, Kimishima will be dead or retired. He is quite old.

Most of the people that were presenting were the newer generation, or at least post-Miyamoto and such.

Great write-up! I admit I've been too focused on the old guard to really get to know the "new" people. Koizumi seems like a guy who gets it. I never liked Miyamoto's insistence on keeping story completely out of his games. Zelda specifically has been in need of a narrative overhaul...

Interesting to note that Koizumi has been publicly disagreeing with Miyamoto on this subject since at least 2007. Collected some of the elementary facts into a recent post, and would certainly be interested to hear from folks who know more of the pertinent details/history.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it was a good show also because of this
and the software output those are collecting for the console is pretty nice and varied honestly

Lumyst

Seeing the "new faces" of Nintendo was what I looked forward to most from the presentation, some of the people I recalled by name from Iwata Asks, but I wanted to see how they were, whether they would be unafraid to be fun and goofy like Iwata was and I'm so glad that they were willing to be goofy (and Kimishima willing to play along with the snapping thing)! Koizumi's presentation of the AR aspects of the Switch helped me to understand, I recall rumors back in late 2015 that NX might have an AR focus but I was unable to visualize it until Koizumi's presentation.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
MqvNwVr.png

Bill Trinen let the new translators have a go at it. He'll be keeping his job.

What do you think of the new crowd? Nuke from orbit if bad thread.

Trinen's face is screaming, " I've made a huge mistake."

TheGrue

Koizumi kicked ass. Squid research guy only other side I recall

Part of me really hopes koizumi is actually an amateur magician

Funny thing is when he first came out, I made a joke to my son that he was the official Nintendo Magician. Then he actually became that. Was hilarious.

One of those men (besides Kimishima obviously) are being prepped to be the new president. Still think Trinen would do well as NoA CEO... Nintendo hasn't had a westerner on their board of directors since Howard Lincoln left right?

Either way, his stepping back probably nabs they have more in store for him.

Instro

If nothing else this was one of the bright spots of the show. Rather than Miyamoto Miyamoto Miyamoto, they are actually giving their important producers/directors a real chance at spotlight.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
If nothing else this was one of the bright spots of the show. Rather than Miyamoto Miyamoto Miyamoto, they are actually giving their important producers/directors a real chance at spotlight.

Nintendo's been trying to give spotlight to the new guys for the past couple of years right?

Shahadan

Koizumi was imposing. Looks like a cool mafia boss or something.
Handled serious and light stuff well and wasn't boring. Should be president.

Nogami has the Miyamoto craziness we need.

Kimishima looked lost.

EA guy didn't even say hello and seemed annoyed to even be here, lol

Smellycat

Yeah I like Koizumi! He oozed confidence and seems to know what is up.

The translator on the stream was so bad lol I am not quite sure if it is because Suds was speaking gibberish or if it was because the translator is new. He reminded me of the "Boom there goes the dynamite" video

Big One

Banned
Koizumi isn't really a new face despite this being his first public appearance. He's been around since the early days of Nintendo's game development. He's a legend.

He's the one that wrote the script of story for Link's Awakening and directed Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Jungle Beat and many other fantastic games.

man, one thing that I paid attention is that they dress themselves horribly. god damn it, there was a dude with a mustard suit with short pants. my 4 year old can do better.

Lumyst

Koizumi isn't really a new face despite this being his first public appearance. He's been around since the early days of Nintendo's game development. He's a legend.

I take "new face" to mean the front-facing representatives of Nintendo. But I've known of him since Mario Galaxy.

He's the one that wrote the script of story for Link's Awakening and directed Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, Jungle Beat and many other fantastic games.

And he invented Z-targeting for Ocarina of Time. That alone makes the man a genius.

Esiquio

RoombaDance said:
Yoshiaki Koizumi, your MC for the night, was the real star of the show. He has an impressive pedigree, from sneaking backstory into Miyamoto games to directing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Super Mario Galaxy. He went on to serve as the head of the Tokyo based Software Development Group 2, responsible for 3D Mario games. He serves as the Deputy General Manager of Nintendo Entertainment Planning & Development, which oversees all Nintendo game development. And of course is now General Manager for the Switch. If this post has some truth to it I have a feeling you're going to like him.

WHOA. WHOA, I love this man. Unrestrict him and let him do whatever he wants, seriously.

entremet

Public facing, though.

Can't see the president as anything but an old Yakuza boss

If anything, this is a description that fits Hiroshi Yamauchi a lot better:

hiroshi-yamauchi.png

Though looking at old photographs of him, "utterly terrifying evil overlord" might describe him even better. Yamauchi was scary as hell. Kimishima, on the other hand, comes across as a kindly old uncle in comparison.

HardRojo

Koizumi seems nice. I don't know if he speaks English or at least some of it but it'd be really nice to see him presenting all conferences from now on.
Edit: And Directs too, he'd be a great fit.

Top Bottom