• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest Re:Crappers

I literally dozed off because of all the droning dialogue. I would shut my eyes and just listen to them talk and talk before losing consciousness. It's so fucking boring. I woke up to see the dragon scene. And the final scene. Whatever. Boring shit.

Weren't we talking the other day about hate watching? Is this a practical example?

Eccentric Family - 08

Despite expanding the cast by quite a lot, this season has so much nicely focused character development that one can only be impressed.

Eccentric Family S2 08

One of the few episodes this season where it is actually about the titular family. S2 has been poor for me so far because S1 was such a complete package that the continuation feels almost artificial. Season kinda feels like they were throwing darts at a board and there doesn't feel to be any real point to anything. I know they are probably building up for later but for me that is the whole problem, I don't think the show really does well when it comes to big ticket plot events.

But this episode was pretty much an exception in that we actually saw some real familial interactions. I want to see the brothers fight, argue and help each other and see how a bunch of misfits play with the social mores of Tanuki society. I love Benten, but I think she does much better as being an capricious, unmanageable, wild card - she might save your life or she might eat you in a hot pot. It's seeing Yasaburo work around this character which brought such delight in S1. But this season she has been given wayyy to much leeway into the main plot. I honestly couldn't care less about the Nidaime as long as he continues to have no impact on the Family or their society.

I don't like Kaisei. I don't mind the "arranged marriage" trope, but they have completely failed to give us anything to work with here. S1 they don't show her face for most of it, only to completely disappoint with how normal, uninspired and regular she looks. Like you spend a good time hyping her up and making her mysterious, only for her to look like THAT? At least give her scars or something. The reveal this episode makes logical sense and ties up a dangling plot thread, but the actual relationship for me is really shallow. I still can't see any reason why she can't just marry Yajiro if she is fine with just being set up with anyone. But with all the talk of the red fur of fate it is almost certain that they will just go with the boring route.

That episode is probably the turning point where the show becomes consistently good with some Gintama tier sketches

I've been enjoying the show fine up to now - it helps that the art and color design is strong - but "Jyushimatsu Falls In Love" hit a level of emotional sincerity that I wasn't expecting. Plus this episode was perhaps the best animated overall so far despite being outsourced??

I don't like Kaisei. I don't mind the "arranged marriage" trope, but they have completely failed to give us anything to work with here. S1 they don't show her face for most of it, only to completely disappoint with how normal, uninspired and regular she looks. Like you spend a good time hyping her up and making her mysterious, only for her to look like THAT? At least give her scars or something. The reveal this episode makes logical sense and ties up a dangling plot thread, but the actual relationship for me is really shallow. I still can't see any reason why she can't just marry Yajiro if she is fine with just being set up with anyone. But with all the talk of the red fur of fate it is almost certain that they will just go with the boring route.

I'm sorry, but this sentence is hilarious.

Cornbread78

Genshiken ep.1-2
Lea7BOf.png
Well, got sone decents laughs out of this group to start things off. That 3D girl needs to realize she's out matched quickly though; she should realize she's the childhood friend that's bound to lose..

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 21

Akko still doesn't get this whole patience thing. Croix keeps acting more villainous, though she's right that Ursula isn't squeaky clean herself. Decent chance Croix got hit by the pollen and can't use magic directly anymore. Drama is ramping up.

Starmyu S2 Episode 9

Finally the results of the auditions...

Well mostly expected except for Ogawa getting a role and...Nayuki getting nothing? What? Are they going to make Ogawa back out just so all of Team Hiiragi can be in it???

blurr

March Comes in like a Lion 17

Our first and a more elaborate look at the Shogi master, I'm really excited to see how his match with Kiriyama would go, if there would be one. The visualizations of his back story was interesting to look, what I presume his development over time. A scattered personality/skill eventually becomes fully realized to his current form.

DBAv0fjUQAEFVRi.jpg

DBAv9d6UMAARxq5.jpg

Marina Inoue could just be my favorite voice actress.

Kiriyama and his sister have a very interesting relationship, it stands out a lot in this episode. She's comfortable and open with him but also looks down on him with contempt. It's a bit depressing knowing that her relationship with her boyfriend is due to something she doesn't even realize. Everyone at some level wants to be together and they can but they won't, worst part is, some of them don't even know why.

Kickz

Space Brothers 51
3INcDtY.jpg
TlFHMy8.jpg
NpoeO5q.jpg

Welcome to NHK Space Bros edition

Damn that got pretty emotional at the end when the mother noticed the little brother had opened his window for the first time in years.
The music score at the end there to go with the events was magical.

Also I get hikikmoris have some issues and need help but I wonder if all the enabling by hand delivering meals,etc by the parents is prolonging the issues.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 58

Finally, someone noticed how bad Laura's fish costume is. Even Elza-sama has to lower herself to the peasants and mingle with them once in awhile. 2 M4here randomly, because why not. Would've liked to see a Yume/Lily performance, but it's way too easy for the final boss to suffer a loss. Elza-sama leaves nothing to chance. Though I suspect this was all a ploy to give herself an excuse to dress up as a maid.

JulianImp

Space Brothers 51

Damn that got pretty emotional at the end when the mother noticed the little brother had opened his window for the first time in years.
The music score at the end there to go with the events was magical.

Also I get hikikmoris have some issues and need help but I wonder if all the enabling by hand delivering meals,etc by the parents is prolonging the issues.

Yeah, it's one of those social issues that I don't really get, since the society I grew in doesn't handle issues in such a roundabout way. A shut-in is more likely to be taken to therapy, and his or her parents are a lot less likely to actively help them stay in their rooms 24/7, and might even go the extreme route of dragging them out by force.

It's still kind of weird since Japanese society is a lot more demanding of people in terms of academics, social relationships, work philosophy, and yet there can be situations where a son or daughter is somehow allowed to cut all ties with the outside world while the rest of the family either looks the other way or actively supports that behavior rather than actively trying to help them get back on their feet.

Kickz

Yeah, it's one of those social issues that I don't really get, since the society I grew in doesn't handle issues in such a roundabout way. A shut-in is more likely to be taken to therapy, and his or her parents are a lot less likely to actively help them stay in their rooms 24/7, and might even go the extreme route of dragging them out by force.

It's still kind of weird since Japanese society is a lot more demanding of people in terms of academics, social relationships, work philosophy, and yet there can be situations where a son or daughter is somehow allowed to cut all ties with the outside world while the rest of the family either looks the other way or actively supports that behavior rather than actively trying to help them get back on their feet.

Yea its definitely got to be a cultural thing, ie protecting family honor by keeping it all internal.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 21

Why does HakoGaku have such terrible personalities this season, unless I never noticed it last year, because wow, only Manami is good.

I dont know if Onoda can pump himself up twice in a row. Welp.

Little Witch TV 21

If Croix is trying so hard to sabotage Ursula and Akko just fucking tell Akko that Ursula has been hiding that she was Chariot for some made up reason. Jesus Christ. If I have to see Akko tell Chariot how much she wants to meet Chariot one more time I'm going to explode

JulianImp

Tsugumomo - #9
This is almost like an alternate universe version of the show that can be moderately decent without relying on copious amounts of smut, which is pretty sad since I'd have liked it a lot more if it was more of this rather than the 3:7 action-to-smut ratio it has in general. Heck, even Kiriha's sadistic abuse when angered was tamer than before.

Still, any hopes we might have of the new upcoming arc being any decent and smut-less went to hell the moment they announced the next episode's name as "Nude in the futon". Having read it, the next few chapters of the manga were chock-full of skimmable smut, and the anime adaptation's going to be way worse since skipping through scenes in a video isn't as easy as in manga.

Kickz

Bleach Ep 344

Ramen dude brings up good points that we know nothing of Ichigo's parents other than the dad is a Reaper and his mom is dead. Would be cool if Karin became a reaper as well, like a mini Rukia.

Laughing Salesman NEW 09

Ok the first act is bullshit. It made me mad. The dude is the ONLY person who doesn't react to Moguro like he's some kind of freakazoid in a bathhouse of all places and is nice to him and washes his back and shit. He invites him to go to more bathhouses!

So whats his reward? Moguro just brings him to his perfect bathhouse and then takes him out and tells him to never go back. He does of course so then he gets killed by some ghost lady...or something. Because Moguro can do that I guess?

Aren't these shows supposed to have either a moral or a central character who you want to see get theirs? This show typically has neither. Whats the point of these stories other then abject misery for the sake of abject misery?

Kickz

Genshiken ep.1-2

Well, got sone decents laughs out of this group to start things off. That 3D girl needs to realize she's out matched quickly though; she should realize she's the childhood friend that's bound to lose..

This show is such a good time, basically Otaku the anime

JulianImp

I've been thinking about it, and if Tsugumomo is one-cour then it'll forcibly have to keep some more smut to pad its remaining three episodes. If it were two cours, I believe it could actually give us the pretty decent Mayoiga arc by trimming most of the smut (that's almost entirely irrelevant to the actual plot, anyway), but the best stopping point would actually be the end of the arc that goes after it, which would be impossible to get to in just twelve episodes because of how long the Mayoiga arc is (it'd need about eight episodes devoted to it to avoid rushing things too much).

It's kind of a shame since the show does get better in the two upcoming arcs (but the one after that is lame and boring, sadly), but then again I guess they'll be trying to sell Tsugumomo more through its lewd pedo crap rather than through the decent action scenes, so it's likely to burn out after this season and never come back again... which is a shame IMO, since the anime adaptation having to censor out at least some of the more harenchi stuff actually makes it a way better series (even though I'd rather have them drop it out entirely, which wouldn't even affect the plot).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Laughing Salesman NEW 09

Ok the first act is bullshit. It made me mad. The dude is the ONLY person who doesn't react to Moguro like he's some kind of freakazoid in a bathhouse of all places and is nice to him and washes his back and shit. He invites him to go to more bathhouses!

So whats his reward? Moguro just brings him to his perfect bathhouse and then takes him out and tells him to never go back. He does of course so then he gets killed by some ghost lady...or something. Because Moguro can do that I guess?

Aren't these shows supposed to have either a moral or a central character who you want to see get theirs? This show typically has neither. Whats the point of these stories other then abject misery for the sake of abject misery?

Society hates you and so does this show.

Cornbread78

Grimoire of Zero ep.8
The second half of this episode was pretty intense as the rescue was going down and it looks like Sir Woofy will be sticking around as a cast member. This show is definitely in my top 3 for the season.

Ascheroth

Grimoire of Zero ep.8

The second half of this episode was pretty intense as the rescue was going down and it looks like Sir Woofy will be sticking around as a cast member. This show is definitely in my top 3 for the season.
I can't consider this show seriously for top anything with that shitty episode 2 village scene.
Out of everything I've seen this season that was the lowest bottom of the barrel cheap trash writing I've seen, and I've been watching Clockwork Planet.
And that wasn't even the only thing.

Man, all the shit I've watched this season and this show is the only one that makes me unreasonably angry with it's awful writing.

/rant

Bleach Ep 344

Ramen dude brings up good points that we know nothing of Ichigo's parents other than the dad is a Reaper and his mom is dead. Would be cool if Kana became a reaper as well, like a mini Rukia.

I needed to finish buying all these DVDs, but I miss this arc so much, also Ichigo was looking his best (soccer outfit Ichigo!)

I can't consider this show seriously for top anything with that shitty episode 2 village scene.
Out of everything I've seen this season that was the lowest bottom of the barrel cheap trash writing I've seen, and I've been watching Clockwork Planet.
And that wasn't even the only thing.

Man, all the shit I've watched this season and this show is the only one that makes me unreasonably angry with it's awful writing.

/rant

sounds like a personal problem to me, it's an inoffensive fantasy LN show.

Finally completed Parasyte today. Pretty good series overall, but I felt like it had some focus issues as if the plot couldn't decide who the main antagonist and endgame would be. Dubstep soundtrack was a terrible idea.

The Sentai Dub wasn't bad. Like, I thought the guy they picked to play Shinichi was a miscast, but compared to Akame Ga Kill it was definitely passable.

Wood Man

Laughing Salesman NEW 09

This why I stopped watching. If the people being duped were terrible people I could understand. But most clients are honest, hardworking people until they become associated with Moguro. Now it's just "watch shitty things happen to good people."

MartyStu

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata

Is this show any good? I really like the premise, and the main character seems to have have something approximating an actual personality.

I like it though it does have a lot of fan service. The characters other than the main char are pretty fleshed out and you can miss a lot of details about them if your not paying attention.

JulianImp

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata

Is this show any good? I really like the premise, and the main character seems to have have something approximating an actual personality.

I dunno, the cast in S1 seemed like cardboard cutouts at best (Senjougahara-lite, tsundere blonde twintails girl, overly relaxed busty cousin), and then there's Kato, who's the "normal" girl that often goes tsukkomi and lampshades the other characters' trabsolutely operrific behavior. They're all sorts of thirsty for the generic otaku MC, so you can expect lots of random antics that didn't really go anywhere during S1 at least (because Harem Series).

It's probably decent for a fun brainless watch, but not actually something I'd recommend watching over just about anything else.

MartyStu

I dunno, the cast in S1 seemed like cardboard cutouts at best (Senjougahara-lite, tsundere blonde twintails girl, overly relaxed busty cousin), and then there's Kato, who's the "normal" girl that often goes tsukkomi and lampshades the other characters' trabsolutely operrific behavior. They're all sorts of thirsty for the generic otaku MC, so you can expect lots of random antics that didn't really go anywhere during S1 at least (because Harem Series).

It's probably decent for a fun brainless watch, but not actually something I'd recommend watching over just about anything else.

Just watched the first two episodes, and I think you are 100% correct. Kato is perhaps the only redeeming thing about the show. Everything else is 'eh.'

That does bring something to mind though: Is there a harem anime where the focus of the harem actually 'deserves' the attention he/she gets? I am having a hard time coming up with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom