• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

Rainy

Banned
This might be a stupid question but how fast of a connection do you need for online? I have to stay in this dorm with super shitty wifi for the next few weeks...

This might be a stupid question but how fast of a connection do you need for online? I have to stay in this dorm with super shitty wifi for the next few weeks...

In this Reddit thread, people are talking about this issue/topic. It looks like it doesn't need much speed (an image in the thread shows a peak of ~500 kbps), but of course you can't know without trying it yourself. Maybe in a online battle with friends or so; that way it won't hurt your rank.

Kandinsky

Hey guys. I have a question regarding local multiplayer. Does wireless while docked work?, this is the setup we want to try 3 switches each connected to a TV and each with 2 players, for 6 players action. Do we really need to invest in lan adapters for this? :/

Roo

Hey guys. I have a question regarding local multiplayer. Does wireless while docked work?, this is the setup we want to try 3 switches each connected to a TV and each with 2 players, for 6 players action. Do we really need to invest in lan adapters for this? :/
No, it doesn't work. For local multiplayer while docked you guys will have to get LAN adapters and such to play the way you want.

Wireless play is exclusive to handheld/tabletop mode.

Pokemaniac

No, it doesn't work. For local multiplayer while docked you guys will have to get LAN adapters and such to play the way you want.

You sure about that? I don't have a second Switch on hand to properly test, but creating a local wireless room seems to put the Switch into a local wireless networking mode (the icon on the home menu changes).

Why is this game full price?
just got a switch I thought for sure the game would be released at the 39.99 price.

deluxe port or not, there is no excuse.

it's not like zelda where they both released at the same time either.

dLMN8R

Why is this game full price?
just got a switch I thought for sure the game would be released at the 39.99 price.

deluxe port or not, there is no excuse.

it's not like zelda where they both released at the same time either.

Mario Kart 8 for Wii U still sells for $40-50. Nintendo's games retain a lot of value. And the DLC for the Wii U version is another $12 from the eshop if you buy both packs, or $8 each if you buy them separately.

The Switch version not only includes all the DLC from the Wii U version, it also includes a completely overhauled and brand new battle mode that the Wii U version will never get. And there's a whole lot to that battle mode too, not just some tacked-on afterthought.

Just started playing and I'm having a lot of trouble. Why are my turns SO WIDE? I'm using Toad and a kart with the best rated handling and yet I ALWAYS slide against a wall when trying to turn. What's going wrong here?

Pokemaniac

Just started playing and I'm having a lot of trouble. Why are my turns SO WIDE? I'm using Toad and a kart with the best rated handling and yet I ALWAYS slide against a wall when trying to turn. What's going wrong here?

Are you drifting at all? This is a game where you often need to drift.

Kandinsky

We just tried it and... it worked!!
QpEIlOH.jpg

Had a blast!

Edit: just to be clear, what worked was wireless while docked, no need for lan adapters :D

Link_enfant

I was looking at the file sizes and others details about my Switch game saves, then noticed something odd about MK8D's save files: my profile's save is 70,5 Mb iirc, but the total size (shown on the right) is twice as big, with 141 Mb.
I only played the game with one profile so why does it show that?

I've downloaded a few WR ghosts but erased them after watching the replays, so I guess it doesn't have any thing to do with it.

I have a bunch of other games and their save files' size always match the total, MK8D being the only exception.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What is better to play with young five year old child, this or splatoon 2?

I prefer Splatoon 2 personally, but this is the better game to play with a small child. The split screen local multiplayer, the assistive controls, the simplicity of the concepts - it's a fantastic game for younger kids.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I prefer Splatoon 2 personally, but this is the better game to play with a small child. The split screen local multiplayer, the assistive controls, the simplicity of the concepts - it's a fantastic game for younger kids.
Yeah the assists are actually awesome for kids. Played local with my cousins and turning on the steering assist was perfect for my 5 year old cousin.

This is the first Mario Kart game I've played since MK64. Dear God, this game is gorgeous. I've loved every track I've played so far, but in particular I like the twisting tracks that utilize the new hover mode. In any case, the art style is sublime and every track I've played has been tons of fun.

Also, Iggy is my boy.

EDIT: One last thing. Is there a way to select specific courses in multiplayer? I play with my girlfriend and it sucks that we have to play an entire cup if we just want to play on a specific course.

Is the current tryhard strat Wario/DB with mostly balanced stats with a slight bias to speed? I'm guessing 200cc is low speed/high accel & handling as well.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Is the current tryhard strat Wario/DB with mostly balanced stats with a slight bias to speed? I'm guessing 200cc is low speed/high accel & handling as well.

"Heavy characters with accel-focused parts" is the meta right now. The reason accel-focused parts are used is not so much because of accel and handling, but more because of the hidden Mini-Turbo stat--the stat has a much bigger effect in Deluxe than it did in MK8 vanilla. Mini-Turbo tends to be correlated with accel.

That said, the game is balanced better than MK8 vanilla was.

Deku Tree

Thanks!

Guess I got on the MK8 Deluxe bandwagon a little late.

Still frustrating when your winning a grand prix and you get red shelled, then you get passed, and then you get blue shelled when your not even in the lead anymore and the CPU who passed you isn't even in blue shell range to get hit too, and then by the time you recover your in fifth place with no chance to recover because your 100 feet from the end of the race. Sometimes it feels like the game is programmed to treat you this way too.

Neil_J_UK

Slightly OT - does anyone know of any mobile network provider in the UK that will let me play my Nintendo Switch online? Both O2 and EE will allow me to get online and do things like browse friends list, eShop, etc, but when I try and play a game I get a connection error.

Are you at a handicap if you don't use auto steer and auto drift online? Getting my ass whooped
Auto-accelerate is helpful, I use it all the time online and off. Lets you focus on getting those precise purple drifts, and nailing sharp corners. Smart Steering is not recommended at all. It's not really designed to help you win, but rather just keep you from constantly falling off the sides and bouncing off walls. It'll only slow you down, and interfere.

Are you at a handicap for not using them? Not at all.

Akainu

So i played a bit of this today. How the fuck are you gonna put options at the start of a race? Who the fuck does that? You can't even get to them before the the countdown what the shit? Anyway it was ok. Reminded me why i don't really care for it. Here i am winning and i'm just getting bombarded with shit. I just playing it real quick so i didn't really look but can you turn off items in races?

Top Bottom