• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Engine/TG Appreciation and Collecting Thread, Because who needs a 2nd controller?

piggychan

Finally fixed the Duo R, turns out at some point too much force had been used when plugging in the cable and the top part of the green pin had been bent upwards, after bending that pin back down it works fine now.

Anyway, now I can finally ask a question about games. I keep on seeing sealed copies of CD games listed on eBay for the same price as used copies, are they likely to be genuine or is there a problem with repros/bootlegs in the PC Engine scene (as there is with Mega Drive)? Some are obviously old copies, but a few look like they're just out of a factory (eg. this one).

It's hard to tell when it's still shrink wrapped. I would say it's an original. The game is not super rare or expensive so I doubt they would bootleg it.

EDIT

wow that seller has a lot of sealed stuff for sale!

Bar81

Yeah, that's what made me wonder. There are so many sealed PC Engine games for sale on eBay (and not in triple/quadruple digits) which is unlike other retro systems.

A lot of the high end pce sealed are boots. I highly doubt the low end $30-40 are even worth the effort.

Getting hyped for my flight to japan this coming monday! Anyone know where I should hit up for PCE games beyond Super Potato and Trader in Akiba? Any chance I'll find a pre-modded Duo R?

Getting hyped for my flight to japan this coming monday! Anyone know where I should hit up for PCE games beyond Super Potato and Trader in Akiba? Any chance I'll find a pre-modded Duo R?

You can find PCE stuff everywhere. I forget the name but check out the place above beep. Also go to Nakano Broadway. Will you be in Tokyo only?

Check Friends and Mandarake as well. I'd not get my hopes up for finding any pre-modded Duo R.

You can find PCE stuff everywhere. I forget the name but check out the place above beep. Also go to Nakano Broadway. Will you be in Tokyo only?

Only Tokyo for two weeks this trip, planning on hitting up Osaka/Kyoto in the future one day ofc! Including Dotunburi :)

Check Friends and Mandarake as well. I'd not get my hopes up for finding any pre-modded Duo R.

Thanks as always MikeHattsu. For a second I thought I was in the Japan travel thread lol.

Are you staying at a place where you can recieve packages? I had a pretty good experience just getting one on amazon.co.jp, prices are generally way lower than what you'd see in akiba stores.

KeithCourage on the PCEngine FX forums and facebook, along with Voultar are two modders I would recommend for RGB modding a Duo R. I would avoid pre-modded DuoRs from ebay personally.

Ok, so was going to play some Gate of Thunder on my Keith Courage modded Duo tonight and the first time I popped in the disc the game wouldn't load after selecting it from the menu with Bonk. So I reset the system and tried again, it went to a black screen for quite some time and the disc drive grinded a bit until it finally started to load the first shot of the game's opening cinema scene and then went to this error:

9YwVy36.jpg

I read it means I have to format my save menu but I also don't want to lose my saves. After letting it sit on the screen for somewhere between 5-10 minutes it finally loaded the game. I reset the system one more time and now the game loads quickly again, am I ok now or do I still have to format?

Edit: Never mind, error still pops up sporadically, guess I have to format. Can I backup up all my saved games with a Ten no Koe bank which I assume is also region free? Really don't want to have to start over on U.S. Dynastic Hero.

As long as your system accepts japanese hucards then tennokoe should work.

Tennokoe itself is quirky as you cannot copy and save single files to and from. it only copies whatever files present in your system into itself and when saving to and from you can easily over write each other.

It's also got an old watch battery soldered into it and that could go any day..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpBbc6jTK8&ytbChannel=freak super

Thanks for the info. I hadn't played a CD game for quite a few months and I read the system memory requires a "charge" to retain saves which goes out if the CD drive isn't used for an extended period of time?

piggychan

Thanks for the info. I hadn't played a CD game for quite a few months and I read the system memory requires a "charge" to retain saves which goes out if the CD drive isn't used for an extended period of time?

I remember losing my saves in the past when I disconnected the system from the mains for a period. If the saves are that important to you then tennokoe is a must even though it's far from perfect.

I constantly keep my console connected to the mains even when not in use for weeks and months and saves are still there.

Your post also reminded that some games can just wipe out the back up RAM when there is not enough space... Fray xak gaiden CD comes to mind >_>

EDIT

I'm getting the urge to buy copies of Twinbee Returns and Force Gear. Anyone know a price to pay for twinbee returns?

Does the Tennokoe require that big grey block thing, or just the Hucard?
Anyone know a price to pay for twinbee returns?
That's one I've got on my "to buy" list, it seems to always sell between £30-35 complete on eBay and a bit less at 2000-2500 yen on Amazon Japan/Yahoo Auctions.
Edit: For some reason I wrote out the prices I had been following for Detana Twinbee instead. Twinbee Returns I've seen for £35-55 new on eBay.

The Duos (and I assume DuoR/RXs) use a larger capacitor to hold game saves. So if you leave your system unplugged for a couple of weeks it'll run out of charge to hold your saves.

The TenNoKoe Banks have 4 like boxes if you will. Each box will hold an entire Duo's memory worth of saves. So theoretically you could have like 4 systems worth of saves, and just overwrite the duo's memory with the selection of saves you want to use that day.

The battery is easily replaceable on it, but it's been pretty much impossible to find the same size battery with solder tabs on it. I ended up replacing it with a slightly larger battery that still matches it's specs, but I can't tape down the cover any more. So it looks crappy but it works to hold my saves.

*edit*

This is the hucard one that I'm talking about

4988607200503(a).jpg

The big grey block thing is similar but different and it's meant for the core grafx and I think core grafx II. The US got something similar. We got the Turbo Grafx Booster Plus, which allowed the TG16 to output composite video and add some memory back up for the few hucards that could use it. I don't think it works with the CD Addon since that connects into the same ext port.

Thanks for all the replies on the TenNoKoe bank card. I think I'll try to get one from a reliable eBay dealer and back up my stuff before I format. Hopefully I can get one that still has a good battery.

Does the Tennokoe require that big grey block thing, or just the Hucard?

That's one I've got on my "to buy" list, it seems to always sell between £30-35 complete on eBay and a bit less at 2000-2500 yen on Amazon Japan/Yahoo Auctions.
The Tennokoe and Tennokoe bank are wholely different.

Original PC Engine had no ability to save. The Tennokoe is an add-on that allows saving and plugs into the back. This is the gray block thing. There are also other save solutions, as well as US equivalents with localized names. The CD unit as well as Duo+ models have this functionality built in; it works the same way and all Tennokoe compatible games save to internal memory (the CD solution might have come first). CD games get access to the same thing.

The Bank card allows you to then copy the data from the internal memory to the 4 boxes on the card, as the internal memory was pretty small and later games demanded more of it. It's pretty bootsy but because the PC Engine relies on a large capacitor instead of a battery for saving it's very useful if you want to keep saves long term.

Per the replies above about Twin Bee Returns, are the other individual games on the PCE Works Caravan shooting collection (like Gunhead, Force Gear, ect) affordable to buy or did they only make the other games available in the special box? Wish I'd known about this project before, I see a sealed box on eBay is going for $297. :/

piggychan

Per the replies above about Twin Bee Returns, are the other individual games on the PCE Works Caravan shooting collection (like Gunhead, Force Gear, ect) affordable to buy or did they only make the other games available in the special box? Wish I'd known about this project before, I see a sealed box on eBay is going for $297. :/

They still have few copies of force gear which you can buy individually. Twin Bee returns looks like that's all gone unless you buy it in a multi pack.

Are you staying at a place where you can recieve packages? I had a pretty good experience just getting one on amazon.co.jp, prices are generally way lower than what you'd see in akiba stores.

Hmm I will be at an airbnb apartment...might give this a try actually, though i would have no idea how to actually order lol

KeithCourage on the PCEngine FX forums and facebook, along with Voultar are two modders I would recommend for RGB modding a Duo R. I would avoid pre-modded DuoRs from ebay personally.

Thanks for letting me know where to look for modders! And I would really like to avoid ebay as well!

Hmm I will be at an airbnb apartment...might give this a try actually, though i would have no idea how to actually order lol

There's an English mode on amazon jp.

If you get it from a "Prime" seller (fulfilled by Amazon) usually they even let you choose a delivery time (day and time of day) for a bit extra. If you bundle a system with some games (which would also need to be fulfilled by Amazon) it's totally worth it.

Thanks for letting me know where to look for modders! And I would really like to avoid ebay as well!

I got my Turbo Duo repaired and modded by Keith Courage last summer and could not be happier with it, guy does high quality work, listen to Shin Johnpv. :D

They still have few copies of force gear which you can buy individually. Twin Bee returns looks like that's all gone unless you buy it in a multi pack.

Thanks, too bad I missed out on this.

hey guys, i picked this up and posted it in retroGAF;
iRsaM3Hl.jpg

i heard Macross 2036 for pc engine CD was the best macross shooter game made. (and this super famicom one pictured above is second best but not as good as the pc engine game)

anyone have Macross 2036 or play it? i'm planning a getting a rgb duo but just waiting for the right time but just curious how the game is.

piggychan

i heard Macross 2036 for pc engine CD was the best macross shooter game made. (and this super famicom one pictured above is second best but not as good as the pc engine game)

anyone have Macross 2036 or play it? i'm planning a getting a rgb duo but just waiting for the right time but just curious how the game is.

I think Black Falcon has tried it

The pc engine game is pretty looking game to boot but somehow I never feel like I must own it. something about the gameplay just doesn't seem to appeal to me.....

XD20jA.gif

I think there are 2 macross games for the pc engine one is a shewtie and the other 'Macross Eternal Love' is a strategy battle game.

hey guys, i picked this up and posted it in retroGAF;
iRsaM3Hl.jpg

Oh man, I don't want to know how much you had to pay..

Rydeen

I have it, the redbook audio does an amazing job at re-creating the arrangements from the show's soundtrack, and I like the story and cut-scenes a lot (you play as Max and Miria's half human / half Zentradi daughter), and I actually prefer the way the game continues the Macross story over the other, similar continuations (I'm looking at you, Macross 7). The gameplay is a horizontal shooter, and boss encounters are in battroid mode, and play really similar to Forgotten Worlds gameplay.

Laws00

I must be a horrible Pc engine owner.

I only own 2 (3) Hu card games all incomplete.

An arcade card

An Ever Drive with every JP/USA/EU game on it so I don't have to pay money for games

I don't own any CD games i've burned them all

granted i've just gotten into it.

More so i'm scared now more then ever because of because of counterfeit CDs and because i'm a cheap ass and I just want to play games.

Beartruck

Maybe its because I live in the city where the former NEC USA HQ was, but I've found tons of decent stuff in person the last few months. Picked up Military Madness, Parasol Stars, and Dragon's Curse. My SO and I love Bubble Bobble so Parasol stars might be my favorite game on the system now.

piggychan

An arcade card

An Ever Drive with every JP/USA/EU game on it so I don't have to pay money for games

More so i'm scared now more then ever because of because of counterfeit CDs and because i'm a cheap ass and I just want to play games.

Well I feel the same paying a premium for something and then once it's turned up its a reproduction.. I was particularly looking into getting a few more expensive games such as :
Nexzr/summer carnival 93, Rainbow Islands, Downtown Nekketsu Mongatari and possibly Madou Monagatari. Now I'm very cautious about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78GBnbdhCUw&ytbChannel=Tamer Koh

Laws00

Maybe its because I live in the city where the former NEC USA HQ was, but I've found tons of decent stuff in person the last few months. Picked up Military Madness, Parasol Stars, and Dragon's Curse. My SO and I love Bubble Bobble so Parasol stars might be my favorite game on the system now.

Nice nice. Are there any remnants of it around?

Well I feel the same paying a premium for something and then once it's turned up its a reproduction.. I was particularly looking into getting a few more expensive games such as :
Nexzr/summer carnival 93, Rainbow Islands, Downtown Nekketsu Mongatari and possibly Madou Monagatari. Now I'm very cautious about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78GBnbdhCUw&ytbChannel=Tamer Koh

dungeon crawler games aren't my thing.

Looking at it, I thought it was a Princess Maker game at first

TeaJay

An arcade card

Hey, don't feel bad, I'm the same as you, except I don't have ANY real games for the PCE.

I only got my PCE Duo last november as well, though, if I got in the retro gaming - especially with PCE and Saturn - like, 5 years earlier, I would probably have kept my original games. But I sold what little I had in lieu for flashcarts basically because a) they were mostly collecting dust apart from a few classics and b) the games I wanted to play were getting super expensive. I'm all for original hardware though and enjoy playing on my PVM. But original games just ain't a part of my MO (although I have re-picked a few games for the NES - go figure)

I will probably pick a few up in the future, but the most expensive ones I leave to the collectors with a good conscience.

Laws00

Hey, don't feel bad, I'm the same as you, except I don't have ANY real games for the PCE.

I only got my PCE Duo last november as well, though, if I got in the retro gaming - especially with PCE and Saturn - like, 5 years earlier, I would probably have kept my original games. But I sold what little I had in lieu for flashcarts basically because a) they were mostly collecting dust apart from a few classics and b) the games I wanted to play were getting super expensive. I'm all for original hardware though and enjoy playing on my PVM. But original games just ain't a part of my MO (although I have re-picked a few games for the NES - go figure)

I will probably pick a few up in the future, but the most expensive ones I leave to the collectors with a good conscience.

Oh I completely understand. I want to play the games on their original hardware like they did back in the day. It makes it feel more authentic to me.

I didn't want to come to the party and be like I have every turbo/pc hu game and all these burned cds of expensive games and have people look at me like I was a monster for not having real stuff

Beartruck

Nice nice. Are there any remnants of it around?
NEC still apparently exists, but they're some kind of generic information technology company operating out of Texas now. Anything from their turbografx days got scrubbed from the company a long time ago, and things change fast in downtown Chicago.

The biggest "remnant" I suppose is that the game store near Wrigley field consistantly has about a dozen different games available for the system.

Edit: Here's some articles from the Chicago Tribune about it I found:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1989-11-24/entertainment/8903120669_1_nintendo-cartridge-nintendo-entertainment-system-sega-genesis

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1990/11/23/page/329/article/theyre-hot-theyre-new-theyre-fun

Bar81

An arcade card

It's not like NEC would be getting any money from second hand sales. At this point original games are for collectors, if you're not a collector rock on.

The real pieces of garbage are the bootleggers - took a lot of fun out of collecting. No fun when you have to be a CSI to tell an original from a bootleg.

hey thanks all, just got back memorial day stuff and seeing this.
I think Black Falcon has tried it

The pc engine game is pretty looking game to boot but somehow I never feel like I must own it. something about the gameplay just doesn't seem to appeal to me.....

XD20jA.gif

I think there are 2 macross games for the pc engine one is a shewtie and the other 'Macross Eternal Love' is a strategy battle game.
oh interesting there's 2 more for the pc engine

Oh man, I don't want to know how much you had to pay..
it was about 115 shipped from a us seller so it was decent compared to the going rate on ebay currently. just wanted to have it bc i'm a huge collector of macross anyways and heard it's a decent shooter.

I have it, the redbook audio does an amazing job at re-creating the arrangements from the show's soundtrack, and I like the story and cut-scenes a lot (you play as Max and Miria's half human / half Zentradi daughter), and I actually prefer the way the game continues the Macross story over the other, similar continuations (I'm looking at you, Macross 7). The gameplay is a horizontal shooter, and boss encounters are in battroid mode, and play really similar to Forgotten Worlds gameplay.
thanks Rydeen, i think i'll grab it or everdrive it, once i get a duo.

D.Lo

So, is a PC Engine Coregrafx and CD Rom Rom as good as an option as a PC Engine Duo?
Technically, but it's the worst looking solution.

IMO:

Briefcase with whitey
Duo
Duo R/RX
Briefcase with grey
Anything with a CDRom 2

Bar81

Technically, but it's the worst looking solution.

IMO:

Briefcase with whitey
Duo
Duo R/RX
Briefcase with grey
Anything with a CDRom 2

Duo is so bland. Agree that briefcase with white is the nuts but second is core II with Super CDROM2 - gray and orange sexiness. Everything else is not worth getting excited over (other than the LT and GT of course)

D.Lo

I love the square 80s/90s futurism of the original Duo. It looks like a prop on Star Trek TNG.

Same reason I love the Sega Mark III design.

Top Bottom