• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenstar

GAMERS! 06

...That ending tho

That endcard tho

EDIT: Also, the QUALITY reaching new and exciting heights this ep. That external shot of Aguri and Amano in the cafe, when the tiny, tiny children walked past I genuinely laughed out loud.

fR4ovhN.jpg

holy shit how did i miss that

Gamers! 6
Such a fantastic ending. I totally thought nothing was gonna happen the way things were being delayed with misunderstandings and then bam! Surprise happy ending.

Ascheroth

kiritobread will like this:
Following a teaser trailer earlier this week, Bandai Namco and Dimps have announced Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It will launch worldwide in early 2018.

Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet is a third-person shooter RPG and the first Sword Art Online game based in the fictional Gun Gale Online virtual reality MMORPG, which is featured in season two of the Sword Art Online TV anime.

Watch the announcement trailer below (MP4 here). View the first set of screenshots at the gallery. Visit the official Japanese website here.
PMmGvjC.gif

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
That looks cool. Am I going to have to watch the show to get any enjoyment out of it though or can I just enjoy anime gunfighting

Gamers! 6
Such a fantastic ending. I totally thought nothing was gonna happen the way things were being delayed with misunderstandings and then bam! Surprise happy ending.

You just know that shit is going to be undone in the first five minutes of the next episode though.

I saw spoilers for the LNs, this shit goes on for fucking ages. This is why I dislike most shows where love triangles take an important part of the plot, they're neverending.

Cornbread78

That looks cool. Am I going to have to watch the show to get any enjoyment out of it though or can I just enjoy anime gunfighting

With the other three games it helps to understand the characters more.

Hell, you should just watch it for the experience! I loved the series, but like everything, traction may vary by viewer..

Minami-Ke

Pretty good slice of life comedy. Can't say it excelled at anything in particular but the 3 sisters were distinct and endearing in their own way and a lot of even the dumber humor worked similarly to School Rumble. All the cross-dressing from supporting characters and resulting misunderstandings just kept building up and made for many humorous situations. It's pretty basic humor but it worked well enough.

My Rating:

DdIPNoI.png

3.5 out of 5 tear-shaped mouths.

Moose Biscuits

With the other three games it helps to understand the characters more.

Hell, you should just watch it for the experience! I loved the series, but like everything, traction may vary by viewer..

Eh. I watched the first ep but it didn't appeal. I've already watched the superior "trapped in an MMO" show anyway, Log Horizon.

Minami-Ke

Pretty good slice of life comedy. Can't say it excelled at anything in particular but the 3 sisters were distinct and endearing in their own way and a lot of even the dumber humor worked similarly to School Rumble. All the cross-dressing from supporting characters and resulting misunderstandings just kept building up and made for many humorous situations. It's pretty basic humor but it worked well enough.

My Rating:

DdIPNoI.png

3.5 out of 5 tear-shaped mouths.

That rating scale is simply fantastic lol.

idk the impending war because of a soccer match goal in LWA TV doesnt sound that unreasonable to me. In '69 Honduras and El Salvador fought a war over a soccer game. Of course that was the Franz Ferdinand of that situation but still, they decided to duke it out for a few days (and with lots of casualties) over a soccer game.

Croix however is a massive waste of potential. She introduces the fix to the question the show never feels like answering but then she becomes a villain because the show needs one even if it doesnt make much sense.

John Blade

In This Corner of the World is as much a celebration of life and the beauty that it entails as it is a story about the resilience of the people when faced with times of hardship and uncertainty. Set during World War II, the story of Suzu, a girl whom over the course of the two hour runtime grows and matures before our very eyes, and as she does a connection is formed between the viewer and her. Although we witness her grow as she is faced with misfortune, her desire to dream and stay positive remains a constant as she paints and draws the scenery around her as a means to escape the realities of war but to also appreciate the beauty that surrounds her in Kure, amongst the steep hillsides and adjacent to the inland sea which is adorned with warships. Suzu is 18 at the start of the film, a fact that may surprise a few people as the character designs are both playful and childlike. As you adjust to this stylistic choice however, a style that faithfully recreates the designs of Fumiyo Kouno's manga do we begin to realise just how effective this style is. There's a sense of maturity and care that graces each and every frame as 1940's Japan is brought to life and it's this juxtaposition that works together to conjure up a blend of levity and seriousness that makes for a huge punch to the gut.

At many junctures In This Corner of the World is a cosy film, laid back in its demeanour it invites its audience to soak in the atmosphere as the characters live their lives. The world has been meticulously crafted and has been animated in a beautiful painterly visage that juxtaposes amazingly with the more stark imagery. It is clear that director Katabuchi has spent a lot of time and effort in order to recreate 1930's/1940's Japan and its evident. In This Corner of the World is very much a slice of life and so utmost focus is applied to the interactions between the cast, from the way that they talk to each-other to the way in which they interact with one-another on a day to day basis. For many people this may mean that the film slows down to a halt with not much ever happening at many points in the film but these moments create the heart of the film. Pillow shots are used throughout the film as a means to break up the action and to create a sense of place. We're allowed to breath in and appreciate the painstakingly recreated scenery and an air of sentimentality billows throughout the film. These shots can often come across as unrelated and abrupt but instead of diluting the emotion that's brewing they instead intensify the impact as they, as I said earlier create a sense of place. The world within this movie feels tangible and real and the interactions that occur on screen feel genuine.

Gentle, warm and hand-crafted, the painterly aesthetics lull you into its world as the highly detailed recreation of Kure is brought to life. The main character loves to draw and so during the movie elements of her imagination splash onto the screen and intertwine with the events that are unfolding as a means to allow the audience to see the world through her eyes. What this allows director Katabuchi to do is to depict events and scenes that we've seen time and time again in a fresh and new manner. In This Corner is not short of inventive imagery that sets it apart from similar films. The character designs are equally charming although they can appear simplistic and lacking in nuanced facial expressions, the terrific voice work however points the audience in the right direction. Some of the nonplussed facial expressions work, intended or otherwise as a means to make the characters almost unperturbed by the events occurring, to them this is life, the sounds of bombs exploding and bullets ricocheting is almost one with the sounds of birds chirping and cicadas buzzing. Either way, the character designs embody the pleasing and homely designs of Fumiyo Kouno. Kouno would sometimes draw images with her non-dominant hand or with lipstick instead of ink as a means to make the images more varied and to more importantly depict the emotions of the characters visually and the animators of this film took similar approaches in order to achieve the very same. Like Suzu in the manga and film, both Kouno and the animators of the movie tested themselves in order to discover their capabilities when it comes to art and their imagination. A film about the atomic bombs and the devastation that they left upon Hiroshima and Nagasaki brings fourth obvious imagery which is why the way in which Katabuchi goes about depicting these events are imaginative and innovative when it comes to storytelling.

The hand-drawn backgrounds are full to the brim with historically accurate details which juxtapose perfectly with the animated and simplified character designs and the two compliment one another perfectly. In This Corner perfectly captures the moments in life and I found myself becoming absorbed in the story, so much so that at parts I had forgotten that I was watching a film, never mind an animated film. From cooking to cleaning as the characters go through the motions the film is able to inject a much needed sense of levity amidst the terrible events that occur and by the end of the film I had truly become attached to the characters in a way that I hadn't expected.

Audio is handled just as well with the voice actors all doing a terrific job which again goes a long way in cementing this world and making it feel real. Although many of the audio tracks don't necessarily stand out on their own, they all work wonderfully in conjunction with what's being depicted visually, the film opening up with 悲しくてやりきれない ザ (I Can't Bear How Sad It Is) however is poignant, beautiful and does a terrific job of setting the tone for what is to come. The original 1968 version by The Folk Crusaders is a truly fantastic song and the rendition by Kotringo is equally sobering with the lyrics hitting like a tsunami of emotions.

It's a testament to the crew behind this film that they were able to craft a two hour historical animated film and to hold ones attention throughout and to stick the landing is impressive. Animation affords us the ability to conjure up the most imaginative and exciting worlds, to create and depict lives with ones bare hands is powerful and it leads to all sorts of possibilities which is why when a movie like this comes along it reminds us that some of the most remarkable and touching stories take place in the real world, even sometimes in a little corner of the world.

9/10

I saw a trailer for this in this small Japanese media festival they have here in Toronto. Didn't have a chance to go watch it and wondering if they have a DVD/ Blu-ray release for the North American market as I might buy the movie to help them.

Sterok

Glitter Force DokiDoki 1

I find it appropriate that Maya shares Candy's voice. They're both actual legitimate gods. Seriously Maya, how did you jump up that high to the roof? A natural born superhero even before transforming. She probably could've lectured the monster to death if Makenzi didn't interrupt. Or should I say Glitter Edge? No friends. All gloom. Creep Blonde the Creeper remains creepy. This episode seems to have been chopped up, because I'm pretty sure I remember the last third being in episode 2. Garbage music has carried over from the previous season. The extra talking during the opening scene was bad since that's supposed to be serious, but it was generally fine elsewhere to add some comedy. I might have chuckled once or twice. This really reminds my how interesting DokiDoki was at first compared to Smile's opening episodes. Did they actually explain what DokiDoki means, because I think kids might be confused.

Mana = Maya, fine. Rikka = Rachel, fine. Alice = Clara, what's wrong with Alice? Makoto = Makenzi, she's an alien, so she should stand out a bit. Sharuru = Kippy, who cares. Davi keeps her name. Lucky. Ira and Marmo too. Weird.

Fuck me, that SNAFU price is really good. I don't remember if I own any of them though. I don't believe I do.

EDIT: I have no idea how to actually do the bundle...

EDIT 2: You have to be logged in. I get it now.

I already own Season 1, but it's cheaper to buy both seasons together than it is just for the 2nd season. So I'm getting an extra copy haha.

Sterok

Glitter Force DokiDoki 2

Or maybe I should call it 2 + 3. We lost most of 2, which is a pity since that was a pretty unique episode for the franchise. The first rule of Glitter Force is that you don't talk about Glitter Force. I think a lot more people agree with that than is good for the show. The pixies are truly worthless. Why is Ira talking about losing two monsters? He's only lost one. Consistency dub. Not even Saban can hide how gay Rachel is for Maya. Though honestly I feel like she didn't really need to be a Cure/Glitter. She's Maya's sidekick too much, and she just got her only kill. What are individual Glitters called here anyway? Creeper Blonde is so villainous Kyubey would ask him to tone things down.

Bel kept his name. Raquel = Rory. Considering his partner got turned into Rachel, it's not surprising. Lance kept his name. Disdain I forgot to mention. Or is it Destain? Well it's not like it matters much. Splendorius is changed from Trump Kingdom. Er, that's definitely a positive change. Honestly wouldn't mind using it for the original either.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Meanwhile the status of anime in the UK is:
  • No Love Live movie
  • No YuruYuri
  • No Xenoglossia

What a disgrace.

Moose Biscuits

Meanwhile the status of anime in the UK is:
  • No Love Live movie
  • No YuruYuri
  • No Xenoglossia

What a disgrace.

For a second I thought you meant 'no YuruYuri movie in the cinemas'. Then I had to ask myself whether I would actually go see YrYr in the cinemas, in person.

maybe

Has the movie actually released abroad at all?

So Shaft's adaptation of Shunji Iwai's Fireworks film just came out in Japan, and impressions are that it's a total disaster. The animation is really unpolished, totally below the level of what is expected from theatrical features, the voice acting is bad, and thus it completely fails to sell any of its emotional character drama. The credits are really messy (25 assistant ADs and a big portion of the film outsourced to Lay-duce), and there have been rumblings from animators on Twitter about a messy movie project, so it looks like the film was super-rushed - not a surprise coming from Shaft, but still a shame. Director Nobuyuki Takeuchi has a lot of talent, so it's a shame Shaft's mismanagement dropped the ball so hard on what should have been a major mainstream movie.

Sterok

Glitter Force DokiDoki 3

Episode 3. I've never rewatched DokiDoki, but this reminds me how hype the early episodes were. I mean, we've got Glitter Batman! She's rich and isn't afraid to abuse that. She's got super awesome martial arts training that lets her hit way above her weight level. Such a cool backstory for this franchise. She's got a spiffy butler and spies on the whole city. The Batman parallels are too apt. I also remember thinking the fights were lame, but after KiraKira I appreciate there being physical moves.

Rosetta is now Clover while Sword is Spade. The latter makes sense to play into the card motif, but why not Club for Rosetta? Not a big deal, but I always wondered why they weren't more direct with the card references.

So Shaft's adaptation of Shunji Iwai's Fireworks film just came out in Japan, and impressions are that it's a total disaster. The animation is really unpolished, totally below the level of what is expected from theatrical features, the voice acting is bad, and thus it completely fails to sell any of its emotional character drama. The credits are really messy (25 assistant ADs and a big portion of the film outsourced to Lay-duce), and there have been rumblings from animators on Twitter about a messy movie project, so it looks like the film was super-rushed - not a surprise coming from Shaft, but still a shame. Director Nobuyuki Takeuchi has a lot of talent, so it's a shame Shaft's mismanagement dropped the ball so hard on what should have been a major mainstream movie.

How often does that happen with movies?

Line_HTX

I think this is the first time I've heard of an anime movie that was this disasterous. Normally with movies, it's either very good/GOAT or slightly above average at worst.

Qurupeke

Damn, that's really unfortunate.

I think this is the first time I've heard of an anime movie that was this disasterous. Normally with movies, it's either very good/GOAT or slightly above average at worst.

That does sound quite fucking awful. Fuck Shaft for rushing the hell out of it (if it's true that they did).

I will have to say, recently, from what I've seen, the new Eureka 7 movie was pretty fucking bad.

Man that sucks because it looked really damn good especially visually looking at the PV.

Oh well at least we have the really damn good music video.

Edit: Don't know why they couldn't delay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom