• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon US/UM From Famitsu Interview

Ydelnae

I'm sorry that I lack precognition and can't see when they do something unprecedented.

Then don't come back to every thread when you are actually correct to remind people that you told x them thing was likely to happen. If you are correct, it's because you knew better than anyone, but if you aren't, it's because you can't predict the future.

I really hope they added more cameos at the Battle Tree. There was no Johto rep at all with Sun and Moon.

I was pretty shocked that they didn't bring back Eusine for that.

"Easier to train Pokemon"? SUPER TRAINING RETURN CONFIRMED

EV training is really easy in S/M, although I miss being able to completely train a level 1 Pokemon without leveling it at all.

It's the grind to level 100 which is horrible. Especially since they stopped the Festival Plaza events that made it easier to collect Festival Coins. I have so many Pokemon between 66-80 because it's so annoying to train them to 100.

Music to my ears. Can't wait.

Hopefully they tone the reinforcement system waaaaaaaaaay the fuck down.

They need to make it so that, outside of totem battles, Pokemon only call for reinforcements if you use the adrenaline orb. All too often I would try to catch something, only for it to call for help and eat up my time.

JoeM86

Then don't come back to every thread when you are actually correct to remind people that you told x them thing was likely to happen. If you are correct, it's because you knew better than anyone, but if you aren't, it's because you can't predict the future.

Wow someone's jimmies have been rustled.

So me saying 3 years ago new Pokémon = new generation without knowledge of their plans for 3 years later means I can't say other things about the games based on what they have actually said rather than what people have been assuming?

I just can't bring myself to be excited for this title. I am ready for the Switch entry into the Pokemon series. I want a new take on a mainline Pokemon game.

The Lamp

Wait, so this is the biggest third version yet? You mean what I've been telling people for months and they've been dismissing me as a shill was correct?

Really excited about this :)

The content they've shown doesn't support that assertion. It's just marketing.

Kyzer

Banned
Platinum also didn't seem very exciting in pre-release stuff. I think it's fair to be unexcited by what they've shown but also going by the past and how good Platinum ended up just from little changes it was obvious that USUM had potential. Im literally part of both sides, barely care about the game as of now, but have the knowledge that it has major potential to be as good as Platinum. Itll be little changes (or maybe "ultra changes" I guess...) that make the overall experience awesome, just like past third versions.

My hope is that there is just more they haven’t shown. Perhaps we can take this PR as a positive indication there is more we don’t know, especially since they make a point of directly comparing it to two other popular definitive entries (Emerald and Platinum).

ash_ag

I remember when people were complaining that Pokémon lacked story :p

I'm not sure if it can be said that recent games have more or less story compared to the older ones. It's how the story is communicated that has changed. Imagine a place like the Ruins of Alph in SM, for example. It would have been a different experience.

Dialogue and text are not inherently a bad thing, but I do share some concern about script being "double in length". Text was decent in SM for the most part, but there were times it felt superfluous and purely aesthetic. The additional script should be exposed through new places to see and explore, rather than more chatty NPCs.

The Ultra Warp Ride mechanic does sound very promising, and I'm optimistic about Ultra Space overall. From what we've seen so far it looks very distinct and diverse. More freedom to explore and less distractions in the post-game will make USUM feel a lot more complete than SM.

At least the Ultra Wormholes have more of a justification than the random Hoopa rings in ORAS. I'm okay with this.

I quite liked Hoopa personally. It was a "good idea" in the Shigeru Miyamoto sense, as it both solved the problem of Legendary Pokémon availability, and became the basis on a gameplay feature on top of being the yearly Mythical Pokémon. It was fantastic to see a Mythical Pokémon feel so present in the games, when we're otherwise so used to borderline lore-less critters like Diancie and Volcanion.

Zushin

Sooo if I haven't played S/M, probably best to just wait for the Ultra versions aye? Doesn't look like there's tooooo much different which makes it worth playing both.

Sooo if I haven't played S/M, probably best to just wait for the Ultra versions aye? Doesn't look like there's tooooo much different which makes it worth playing both.

Definitely. They're essentially the third version that previous gens had, but split into two games because money.

Bubble

Neo Member
Surprised that the Z-moves are well received. Reading around, the reaction to the Z-moves seem to be be fairly mixed. It might just be a vocal minority, but as someone who didn't use a Z-move once during my play-through of Sun, this is kind of disappointing news. Z-moves are just an underwhelming feature, at least to me.

JoeM86

Surprised that the Z-moves are well received. Reading around, the reaction to the Z-moves seem to be be fairly mixed. It might just be a vocal minority, but as someone who didn't use a Z-move once during my play-through of Sun, this is kind of disappointing news. Z-moves are just an underwhelming feature, at least to me.

In multiplayer, Z-Moves are incredible.

Ydelnae

I would be more keen on Z-moves if the font they used for the names wasn't so ugly (literally taken from a Level-5 game) and they were quicker to use. I suspect the latter will be fixed in the next generation games, since they won't slow down the battle engine that much. Alola forms were actually better received (I don't even see that much people complaining about them comparing to Mega Evolution, for example) so I'm surprised that they didn't try to squeeze three or four new Alola form evolution lines in this.

Wow someone's jimmies have been rustled.

So me saying 3 years ago new Pokémon = new generation without knowledge of their plans for 3 years later means I can't say other things about the games based on what they have actually said rather than what people have been assuming?

This actually happened last year when Magearna was announced prior to Sun & Moon (and people though it was going to be a new Kalos pokémon for Z) and when cell Zygarde leaked and we didn't knew it was related to Zygarde. Anyway, there's no point in debating punctual facts since we are already derailing the thread and it's not that serious. I'm sorry if I have bothered you that much with my comment!

JoeM86

This actually happened last year when Magearna was announced prior to Sun & Moon (and people though it was going to be a new Kalos pokémon for Z) and when cell Zygarde leaked and we didn't knew it was related to Zygarde. Anyway, there's no point in debating punctual facts since we are already derailing the thread and it's not that serious. I'm sorry if I have bothered you that much with my comment!

I apologise for snapping as well.

I'm just getting fed up of people throwing that in my face when it was accurate at the time, as if I was meant to have precognition and know that this was going to happen.

Puruzi

Banned
So who was saying that this was the most barebones third version again?

dugtv1o.png

The script in Sun and Moon was already super bloated and full of redundant text, saying that it's almost twice as big doesn't leave me super optimistic. I hope they pace the dialogue better in this.

Sterok

I'm all for more story and cutscenes, but do make them skippable please. You know, for when I want to replay the game.

Most important thing needed is a good way to grind to level 100. Which they'll probably add, but the exclusion in SM was unexpected, so who knows.

GoldStarz

I quite liked Hoopa personally. It was a "good idea" in the Shigeru Miyamoto sense, as it both solved the problem of Legendary Pokémon availability, and became the basis on a gameplay feature on top of being the yearly Mythical Pokémon. It was fantastic to see a Mythical Pokémon feel so present in the games, when we're otherwise so used to borderline lore-less critters like Diancie and Volcanion.
The Hoopa rings are an interesting concept in theory, but Hoopa itself has no connection to Hoenn and so no real reason for its rings to pop up around the region and the areas it takes you to to battle the Legendaries are incredibly bare bones like they exist just for the Legendary to randomly be there (because that's why they actually exist) rather than a place where the legendary might actually hang out.

Hylian7

Curious what they mean by this. Hope leveling up to 100 is a lot easier at least.
Maybe they made calling for help less if a pain in the ass? That would be my guess.

That said, I hope they still have a way to leverage that mechanic like in the original. It was a good idea, but when you weren't wanting it, it got quite irritating.

Crazyorloco

Trying my best to resist this game since there are so many games coming and I have a backlog lol...but damn I think i'm going to pick it up. Sounds like they put in a lot of content.

The thing is it wasn't really present. There is no real lore. Hoopa has no mention at all besides the Pokédex entry and the random Pokémart guy telling you about the bottle.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Can we travel to a world that has the PWT and/or Battle Frontier, please?
This please! I need more Offline Content that doesn't end with a normal first playthrough or doesn't revolve around a non Battle gimmick just give me more people to battle

Berordn

The thing is it wasn't really present. There is no real lore. Hoopa has no mention at all besides the Pokédex entry and the random Pokémart guy telling you about the bottle.

The rings were very obviously Hoopa. It would've been nice for it to actually be prominent in that postgame quest, but as it was, it was a neat way to tie it together.

mebizzle

The rings were very obviously Hoopa. It would've been nice for it to actually be prominent in that postgame quest, but as it was, it was a neat way to tie it together.

Not only that, but that's literally the plot of the Hoopa movie, it uses them to summon random legendaries to fight (yeah I know the anime is irrelevant, but still.)

Dysun

I haven't had a chance to play Sun/Moon and have been on the fence about playing them or waiting out Ultra S/M. A story divergence with double the script makes me think I should just wait it out since it won't be a sequel ala BW2.

The rings were very obviously Hoopa. It would've been nice for it to actually be prominent in that postgame quest, but as it was it was a neat way to tie it together.
Not only that, but that's literally the plot of the Hoopa movie, it uses them to summon random legendaries to fight (yeah I know the anime is irrelevant, but still.)

Yes obviously they are from Hoopa because we have an understanding that that is what it does through Pokédex entries, its signature moves and the movie, but that is not actually clear in the game. Imagine you were just playing this game blind, you would be wondering why the heck these rings were everywhere and dropping Pokémon on you. I dont agree that it was neat because the game couldnt be bothered to actually mention the rings through NPCs talking about "a strange mischievous Pokémon" throwing them around everywhere and disappearing into one. That they couldn't even be bothered to do that and coupled with how lazy the locations and settings for the legendary fights are really shows how little thought or care was put into it. Compare that to Sun and Moon where we have actual justification for random portals to eb all over the place.

ash_ag

The Hoopa rings are an interesting concept in theory, but Hoopa itself has no connection to Hoenn and so no real reason for its rings to pop up around the region and the areas it takes you to to battle the Legendaries are incredibly bare bones like they exist just for the Legendary to randomly be there (because that's why they actually exist) rather than a place where the legendary might actually hang out.

There's not much to be said about Hoopa being connected to Kalos in the first place. While it was introduced in Gen 6, it arguably is more of a new Hoenn element. Certain Legendary and Mythical Pokémon aren't necessarily tied to one specific region. I remember when it was implied Shaymin is linked to Kanto. Still hurts that they didn't seize the opportunity to do something with it in HGSS.

Your latter point is right. Ultimately, the whole thing was meant to make the missing Pokémon available for the National Pokédex and official competitions rather than add lore. But it's also true that we previously had the Embedded Tower and Enigma Stone events in HGSS, not to mention Navel Rock in FRLG. They could have given some special treatment to one generations's Legendaries. Still, it was a good way to make the growing number of them obtainable without hurting their preexisting status in the Pokémon world.

It's a Mythical Pokémon, so it's not meant to appear directly in the games. It was present through traces of its main characteristic, which is its rings. Its presence walks finely in the line of "tastefully bare" in my opinion. Perhaps it's true that the Unbound form feels a little bit out of place though. I wonder if that was simply created for the movie.

Yea, this was the one soul crushing feature about Sun and Moon. They needed to at least add a limit to the call ins.

Nah, they just need to make the feature only happen once the adrenaline orbs are used. It's great for EV training and great for IV hunting too. Plus getting shinies easier gained me a legit shiny Ditto. Oh and you can get hidden abilities quicker too!

I just wish it was faster paced.

JoeM86

They've already shown far more than what we knew of prior to launch for Emerald & Platinum :)

Plus people seem to have a mixed memory of what the others actually brought. I saw one person today listing off features DP had as new things Platinum added.

It's a Mythical Pokémon, so it's not meant to appear directly in the games. It was present through traces of its main characteristic, which is its rings. Its presence walks finely in the line of "tastefully bare" in my opinion. Perhaps it's true that the Unbound form feels a little bit out of place though. I wonder if that was simply created for the movie.
You don't have to appear directly in the games to have context. There is no context for the rings to be in the game at all, that's the problem. Mew is not in Red and Blue but is mentioned in the journals in Cinnabar Mansion, Celebi is not mentioned by name but is spoken of as the forest guardian in Ilex Forest. Like you can write around this really simply. I've got the same issue with Jirachi and Deoxys in Gen III so this isn't just a Hoopa thing for me.

Top Bottom