• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... where is the Splatoon 2 e-sports presence that the marketing promised?

Well a eSports game can't be run on 16Hz tickrate so I don't think anyone wants that. Also seeing as you can literally not post any nintendo content online without getting fucked by them. Then nobody wants to play it and in return we won't have any viewers.
And let's not forget this one as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...oon_2_has_double_the_input_lag_of_splatoon_1/
http://aresplatoon2controlsfixed.com/

Whenever I hear about "eSports" these days, I know that it's PR bullshit 99.9% of the time.

Hazu

Nintendo games are doing poorly on Twitch (except during the big Smash tournaments). I see why Nintendo should not waste their time with eSports, since most people just don't care about their games.

Stencil

It is fun to watch; I just got sucked into that vid for a good ten minutes.

I was hoping it would become popular as an eSport. eSports are something I've never gotten into, as I've mainly been a Nintendo boy all my life. Had ARMs or Splatoon become more popular in that realm I would've liked to have partaken in spectating.

Oh well.

There were UK events running concurrent with the Flight Vs Invisibility Splatfest - qualifiers for something bigger, as I recall. I think it does fine - it just won't be as big as LoL, CS or DOTA.

Hazu

There were UK events running concurrent with the Flight Vs Invisibility Splatfest - qualifiers for something bigger, as I recall. I think it does fine - it just won't be as big as LoL, CS or DOTA.
That tournament had less than 1000 viewers.. it was far from "doing fine".

Reki

What happened to the underground Splatoon leagues that the commercials depicted.[/IMG]

They're clandestine in order to avoid getting a C&D, that's why you don't see them.

Jk, but it would be interesting to see the competitive scene develop further.

So thousands of viewers, sponsored players, circuits and decent social media presence? Sounds good.

While Smash isn't a CSGO or Dota, the community is active and there are many tournaments.

Yeah, can't wait for the community to continue supporting Melee having newer alternatives and keep sinking the scene themselves. Sounds really good.

Griss

It was just using the wave of e-sports popularity as marketing, I don't think Nintendo ever actually intended to make it a major e-sport. I certainly didn't think so, anyway.

Yeah, can't wait for the community to continue supporting Melee having newer alternatives and keep sinking the scene themselves. Sounds really good.

I was talking mostly about Smash 4 though. Just forget about Melee, it's already it's own thing. These guys wouldn't play newer Smash games even if it tried to appeal to them.

Most of the competitive S4 community came from Brawl and will go to the next Smash game.

Interesting reading that article about the balance.

They nerfed my Aerospray in 1.4 so I switched to the tri-slosher, mainly because I'd enjoyed using it when it fell into my hands in salmon run. I'm not surprised to hear it's OP, but it's certainly not commonly used yet. I ran into maybe one other player armed with one during 50 rounds on Saturday.

But it definitely took my bad K/D ratio with the aerospray on 1.4 and flipped it the right way around. Still saw loads of aerosprays.

Is there anything inherently bad about an e-sport favoring short range players though? I enjoy watching splatoon pros go at it also, and I find the in your face dog fights more exciting than sniper stand offs. Maybe that's just me, and maybe it is part of the problem.

I was talking mostly about Smash 4 though. Just forget about Melee, it's already it's own thing. These guys wouldn't play newer Smash games even if it tried to appeal to them.

Most of the competitive S4 community came from Brawl and will go to the next Smash game.

I think that Melee/Rest separation really hurt the Smash scene. You don't see Marvel vs, Capcom 2 or Street Fighter IV tournaments anymore, why Melee fans keep feeling so special?

Gestault

In-game communication was such a pain, I dropped off any interest in the mutliplayer a month after release. I was dug in pretty deeply early on, but I know I'm not alone in just sort of giving a frown and putting it back on the shelf.

If the scene has a comeback, I'd love to see it, but the fundementals aren't there.

phanphare

Banned
Well a eSports game can't be run on 16Hz tickrate so I don't think anyone wants that. Also seeing as you can literally not post any nintendo content online without getting fucked by them. Then nobody wants to play it and in return we won't have any viewers.

luckily that doesn't affect the local wired LAN mode but they should address the tick rate for certain modes like league and private battle so online play can be better

DrArchon

I think that Melee/Rest separation really hurt the Smash scene. You don't see Marvel vs, Capcom 2 or Street Fighter IV tournaments anymore, why Melee fans keep feeling so special?

I don't see a problem with this. Clearly the Smash 4 scene isn't hurting for lack of players, so who cares if the Melee vets don't switch games? More than likely they'd just stop playing altogether and not move over to the newer game.

The Smash scene is clearly healthy enough to support two games, so ragging on Melee doesn't make much sense to me.

Did you seriously expect regularly scheduled events inside stadiums?

Anyways, Splatoon Koshien 2018 is a thing and there are events all over Japan leading up to the event. I would never expect events outside of Japan as frequent as Japan events

This pretty much.

A lot of people were into Splatoon 2 at NWC, so I hope NoA looks at that and makes something happen. But I can already hear the Smash players laughing.

jmizzal

Did the big esports game become huge esports games 4 months after release?

Just asking since I dont know how esports popularity works

collige

Banned
This is one of those things where Nintendo's backwards online philosophies really hurts them. Unlike fighting games where you can grind by yourself, organization around a team game really needs a robust online community which is harder to do when there's no voice chat and uploading VODs to Youtube risks having Nintendo getting on your ass.

Probably because Capcom didn't intentionally design SV5 and MvC3 around the lowest common denominator at the expense of serious players.

ITT: OP expecting Splatoon to be at the level of LoL or something despite the SERIES only be on systems with a combined userbase of not even 20 million

Probably because Capcom didn't intentionally design SV5 and MvC3 around the lowest common denominator at the expense of serious players.

image.php

Jubenhimer

I honestly have no idea. It's probably up to the community at this point. Also the whole "no streaming" thing only applies to those who are part of the YouTube Creators Program (which is a whole mess in an of itself). Seeing as how most gamers stream to Twitch these days, it makes more sense to start an eSports viewership there.

LordKasual

Banned
I don't know how anyone took an "E-sports" promise from Nintendo seriously. Nothing about any of their games, stances, patching habits, or policies/trends concerning netplay would even slightly suggest that they'd ever setup a decent E-sports scene.

They have self-contained online games that lack even the most basic competitive netplay functionality.

Splatoon's E-sports presence was doomed to be a minor thing. It'll exist where it does (Japan) and likely never be pushed much farther.

Jims

I think the, uh, rather leisurely paced roll-out of weapons in Splatoon 2 is also hurting the game. Splatoon 2 obviously launched with more content that than the first game, that is just a fact. But its sequel is still kinda struggling to catch up to the first game in terms of variety. We are two months into the sequel and the game is still pretending like the Range Blaster or Hydra Splatling never existed.

Nintendo's games-as-a-service approach to the series is hurting the sequel, in my opinion, and I think it's limiting some of the appeal in competitive settings. I've been okay with their approach in the past, but it's starting to make less and less sense in this new game.

totowhoa

Banned
It’s not a popular esport, but there’s absolutely a pro/tourney scene. They’re great to watch for self improvement - some have good YT channels.

It was never gonna become a huge thing though

Burnburn

There's going to be a European championship hosted by Nintendo where all countries that have a Nintendo HQ are going to take part of. Right now all the countries are having qualifiers with a lot of them being streamed and getting youtube videos posted on their respectative youtube channel.

Nintendo has done a very bad job marketing this though and they themselves probably dont know how to market it.

Also stealth brag I guess, but me and my team qualified for the dutch finals last week and are hoping to make it to the eu finals

Also; what's the definition of esports, do you have to sell out a stadium for something to be esports? Do you have to make a living off of it for it to be esports? Obviously what Nintendo showed in the switch trailer was never going to happen, but too often people expect too much off a game to be esports.

RoyalFool

Banned
The best players can't get their parents permission to attend.

Just kidding, Nintendo fucked over most of the folks they now need with their stupid takedown policies and profit sharing schemes.

DrArchon

Also; what's the definition of esports, do you have to sell out a stadium for something to be esports? Do you have to make a living off of it for it to be esports? Obviously what Nintendo showed in the switch trailer was never going to happen, but too often people expect too much off a game to be esports.

I was under the impression that a game is "esports" when players can play it competitively as a job. Like, if you're good enough you can totally make a living off of Dota 2 or CSGO or SFV to a lesser extent.

Not really Splatoon though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't know how anyone took an "E-sports" promise from Nintendo seriously. Nothing about any of their games, stances, patching habits, or policies/trends concerning netplay would even slightly suggest that they'd ever setup a decent E-sports scene.

They have self-contained online games that lack even the most basic competitive netplay functionality.

Splatoon's E-sports presence was doomed to be a minor thing. It'll exist where it does (Japan) and likely never be pushed much farther.

Yes ,this sums up how I see it. It's unfortunate but N just doesn't take online play seriously, let alone to the extent necessary for the esports scene.

iKhameleon

Neo Member
It's maybe not as big as some were (unrealistically) expecting, but there are quite a few tournaments. DUDE (thatsrb2dude) from Team Olive frequently streams their tournaments on Twitch. They competed in 2 seperate tournaments this past weekend.

Trup1aya

Splatoon could have a major esports presence if it had developer support. Smash can do the grassroots thing because it's 1v1. But in this day and age , aren't going to be able to maintain a high-level team sport without a sturdy infrastructure.

Jubenhimer

most of the folks they now need with their stupid takedown policies and profit sharing schemes.

While Nintendo's handling of YouTube is a mess, keep in mind, I don't think it's them being overloards considering plenty of channels who aren't part of their MCN can upload Nintendo content just fine. The problem is also how YouTube in general works. Their broken copyright system, and Content ID bullshit is the real root of the problem. I think it's more that Nintendo thinks they're helping when in reality, they're just making a convoluted series of polices even more convoluted, and that's probably what pisses people off.

I'd be more upset about this if gaming on YouTube wasn't such a big joke these days. Seriously, it all feels like one big circle derp where nobody has any idea what they're doing, and has no solution on how to fix it.

There's going to be a European championship hosted by Nintendo where all countries that have a Nintendo HQ are going to take part of. Right now all the countries are having qualifiers with a lot of them being streamed and getting youtube videos posted on their respectative youtube channel.

Nintendo has done a very bad job marketing this though and they themselves probably dont know how to market it.

Also stealth brag I guess, but me and my team qualified for the dutch finals last week and are hoping to make it to the eu finals

Where can I watch this? I wasn't even aware this tournament was happening and I do try to watch Splatoon sometimes.

Remember when people thought Arms should be at EVO good times.

ARMS-Evo-Japan-2018.png

Have a look on Twitch or youtube. If your game is not PC centric, its irrelevant these days. Sorry console folk but your days are truly numbered.

NSESN

It exists, it isn't as big as it could be if Nintendo avtually tried, but it exists.

Have a look on Twitch or youtube. If your game is not PC centric, its irrelevant these days. Sorry console folk but your days are truly numbered.
What?

WaterAstro

It won't be a successful esports if it doesn't happen regularly.

It's up to Nintendo to make it happen, but I doubt they will.

Top Bottom