• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NiGHTS Wii : First Screen from a Portuguese magazine

PipBoy

Banned
If Nights was replaced by some kiddy licenced character, everyone would laught at this shit. It's a SEGA game, you shouldn't expect anything from it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i liked nights for the music, the visuals, and the fluidity of the controls. i...don't see a wii version excelling in any of those areas. looks pretty faithful to the original, though.

Kevtones said:
What has he done recently? Shadow.
I have hope, and I'm excited, but I'm not super-jazzed about the dude's recent profile.

Yeah okay so Miyamoto should never work on a Mario game again because he made games for Virtual Boy

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Sorry guys, not real. Where is Nights' alter ego that carries a gun and drives cars?

DaYS?

i liked the old character design better and i think it is actually more marketable. however, this still looks pretty beautiful :)

just something wrong with that ****ing face

Kintaro said:
Thank you Jesus, someone who had the same problems with the original Nights as I did.

If you're excited, groovy though. I've loved games other hate with a passion. Just happy to see someone else who saw that the original Nights blew ass.

As for THIS one, the pictures look ok. It's low poly though with meh textures. Look at Nights himself upclose. But taken as a whole, the game looks good. Some videos would be nice to see how it animates, which is the big draw.

You realize you've found kinship with a ridiculous joke character gone too far, right?

All my gusto aside, I can understand how people wouldn't like NiGHTS. Granted, I think almost every complaint Drinky made other than point three is either a personal dysfunction, not relevant at the time, or the result of playing the game improperly. Point three is very valid for some people though. And there are more criticisms you could level at it. It's fine to not like NiGHTS.

But also recognize (and this isn't aimed at you, Kintaro, as you seem to) that the people who liked NiGHTS liked it a lot, and have been waiting a very, very long time for a sequel, and moreover, have been teased the whole while. Please, if you're coming in here with a SYSTAMWARRS agenda, or a "Lol i hate games that have legendary undeserved hype status agenda", just click the back button on your browser and let us have our moment. I try not to piss on your fire, please don't piss on mine.

Emotions

This is so awesome!!!!, i can't wait to play it, the long rumored Nights sequel is finally right here in front of our eyes.
:D

As for trolling....just the expected trolls in almost every Nintendo Wii or DS thread, not impressed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
meltpotato said:
DaYS?

i liked the old character design better and i think it is actually more marketable. however, this still looks pretty beautiful :)

just something wrong with that ****ing face

I'm not crazy about NiGHTS' new bling bling.

n0b

I think this just shows how bad the state of Wii graphics is. People are saying this looks good, but it doesn't even look as good as Sonic and the Secret Rings, and definately not what a second gen Wii game should be looking like. I don't really care, as I didn't like the first, but I would expect fans of the series would at least prefer them to go above their previous Wii title.

drohne

i guess i must be one of the few people who neither loved nor hated nights. the core gameplay is fun, but i had a full set of a-ranks within a few days, and didn't feel compelled to dig any deeper. it was impressive as a saturn hardware showcase.

PipBoy said:
If Nights was replaced by some kiddy licenced character, everyone would laught at this shit. It's a SEGA game, you shouldn't expect anything from it.

And if Solid Snake was replaced with Max Steel in screenshots it would get laughed at, too. Or maybe let's replace Master Chief in Halo screenshots with Turok, and replace Mario with Fairly Oddparents.

GEE I WONDER WHY THE **** WE'D BE MORE EXCITED

ZeoVGM

Banned
drohne said:
i liked nights for the music, the visuals, and the fluidity of the controls. i...don't see a wii version excelling in any of those areas. looks pretty faithful to the original, though.

Uh, I like I you "don't see" the Wii version excelling in music or controls based on a few screen shots. That's amazing logic.

n0b said:
I think this just shows how bad the state of Wii graphics is.

No, it doesn't. It shows the state of Sega's effort. And let's see it in motion first please.

Man, some of you people are jump the gun insane.

dyls

Segata Sanshiro said:
You realize you've found kinship with a ridiculous joke character gone too far, right?

All my gusto aside, I can understand how people wouldn't like NiGHTS. Granted, I think almost every complaint Drinky made other than point three is either a personal dysfunction, not relevant at the time, or the result of playing the game improperly. Point three is very valid for some people though. And there are more criticisms you could level at it. It's fine to not like NiGHTS.

But also recognize (and this isn't aimed at you, Kintaro, as you seem to) that the people who liked NiGHTS liked it a lot, and have been waiting a very, very long time for a sequel, and moreover, have been teased the whole while. Please, if you're coming in here with a SYSTAMWARRS agenda, or a "Lol i hate games that have legendary undeserved hype status agenda", just click the back button on your browser and let us have our moment. I try not to piss on your fire, please don't piss on mine.

I think your wasting your breath, eloquent as your words may be. You should just head back to the other Nights thread, which has a much better overall attitude. The trolls have taken this one, I'm afraid.

Eteric Rice

omg rite said:
Uh, I like I you "don't see" the Wii version excelling in music or controls based on a few screen shots. That's amazing logic.

No, it doesn't. It shows the state of Sega's effort. And let's see it in motion first please.

Win.

It's X-Boxish, but NiGHTS himself could use an upgrade.

drohne

omg rite said:
Uh, I like I you "don't see" the Wii version excelling in music or controls based on a few screen shots.

i don't see the wii version controlling well because it's wii. though come to think of it, a wii version might very well have nice music.

Kunai

Smiles and Cries said:
who was the creator of NiGHTS, yeah meh

I don't think that Iizuka was the original creator. I think that Nights original idea was co-creation with Naoto Oshima and Yuji Naka. Also the game was directed by Naoto Oshima, who was also Nights Designer.

Iizuka was the Lead Game Designer, but he had a excellent team, but right now Sonic Team really sucks, Heroes, Shadow, Sonic Next...

dyls said:
I think your wasting your breath, eloquent as your words may be. You should just head back to the other Nights thread, which has a much better overall attitude. The trolls have taken this one, I'm afraid.

Yeah, **** it I guess. They can have it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Segata Sanshiro said:

Eh, I've been on GAF for a long time, so I know Drinky's posts pretty well. Irregardless, they just happened to match the problems I had with the game at the time I played it (when it came out). I thought the controller was genius though.

That's groovy. I'm still waiting on Shenmue 3. We all know how much GAF LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVES that series. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
drohne said:
i don't see the wii version controlling well because it's wii.
Let me guess, you have no wii, haven't you? Then I can understand why you don't see it.

Drohne, Drinky Crow and Typhonsentra this early in a Nights Wii Exclusive thread... Smell the fear :lol

fresquito

Oh! the wonders of GAF, one day you laugh at the PS3 and PSP attach rate and a nice "You're banned, troll elsewhere" appears on your screen. Another day you laugh at Wii graphics and it's understandable. Then the next day you understand what "elsewhere" means: Wii topics.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
drohne said:
i don't see the wii version controlling well because it's wii. though come to think of it, a wii version might very well have nice music.
Stop back-peddling you prancy pony.

ZeoVGM

Banned
drohne said:
i don't see the wii version controlling well because it's wii..

That's probably the dumbest thing I've read in this thread so far, and I read all of Drinky's joke character posts.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
fresquito said:
Oh! the wonders of GAF, one day you laugh at the PS3 and PSP attach rate and a nice "You're banned, troll elsewhere" appears on your screen. Another day you laugh at Wii graphics and it's understandable. Then the next day you understand what "elsewhere" means: Wii topics.

No one except idiots is trolling the Wii in this thread. However, if you have a problem with people talking about the graphics on the Wii, you're in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG video game generation. A very, very, very long one. Very long. Accept it, and move on.

n0b

omg rite said:

I'd say more Wii games are close to this than are anywhere near what Nintendo and a few of the more dedicated third parties are putting out. If only Sega was at this level there would be a lot more people in here complaining, but currently this is what most Wii games are looking like.

Regardless of how everyone views the graphics, they appear faithful to the original and I think that gives a good idea of how they'll be handling the gameplay as well.

drohne

shrug. i'm not a huge nights fan, but i do like saturn a lot, and i don't want to see one of saturn's defining games martyred to 'early effort on novelty controller' syndrome. perhaps wii developers will eventually come to grips with motion controls -- or acquire the discipline to forgo them when they aren't appropriate -- but i think it's safe to expect some wackiness here.

fresquito said:

Its Friday and its still early, wait for the nice "Defend the Hive Elsewhere" message :D

Seriously guys is it because of Sega we hate on this or is it SEGA + Wii?

Amir0x

Banned
Well, it looks like NiGHTS. I guess that's acceptable.

I wonder what new they are adding to the gameplay, I can't read this moon language. My main complaint with the first was that it was shorter than short. I hope they remedy this.

Krowley

n0b said:
I think this just shows how bad the state of Wii graphics is. People are saying this looks good, but it doesn't even look as good as Sonic and the Secret Rings, and definately not what a second gen Wii game should be looking like. I don't really care, as I didn't like the first, but I would expect fans of the series would at least prefer them to go above their previous Wii title.

I'll reserve judgement until i see it in motion, but i'm inclined to agree.

It should look at least as good as sonic.

There is something very strange about the artstyle though, and it may come to life in motion.

And i'm not trolling... Never played the original nights.. I own and love the wii but this seems graphicly underwhelming and looking at old videos of the original, i had expected this to look more impressive.

Amir0x said:
Well, it looks like NiGHTS. I guess that's acceptable.

I wonder what new they are adding to the gameplay, I can't read this moon language. My main complaint with the first was that it was shorter than short. I hope they remedy this.

the interview does not say much but it says wait til April, read the other thread for better understanding

Amir0x

Banned
starchild excalibur said:
People dogging on the graphics are totally missing the point of this game.

thisissparta.gif

I don't think it's possible to 'miss the point' of the vast majority of games because of graphics - unless you're playing something like sound voyager. Because in nearly all cases, graphics are an important aspect of a videogame.

However, that's a subject for another time. Right now I just want to know what they're adding to the game, because I did love NiGHTS and think Wii controls might actually work for once in addition to an old franchise, so I'm curious to be certain. Particularly about length.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
When is this supposed to be out? They could improve the graphics by the time it releases.

meppi

drohne said:
shrug. i'm not a huge nights fan, but i do like saturn a lot, and i don't want to see one of saturn's defining games martyred to 'early effort on novelty controller' syndrome. perhaps wii developers will eventually come to grips with motion controls -- or acquire the discipline to forgo them when they aren't appropriate -- but i think it's safe to expect some wackiness here.

I think I understand your scepticism, but seeing as how Sega was already looking into changing the way NiGHTS would control in a possible sequel, those doubts might be a bit unfounded.

A quick search brought this up:
A sequel with the working title "Air NiGHTS" was in development for some time. Several different innovative control systems were suggested, such as the possibility of using a tilt sensor for the analogue pad or an entirely new control pad in the form of a wand. Unfortunately, the game never materialized, however it is speculated the some of the initial game concepts were later used for "Samba De Amigo".

Amir0x said:
I don't think it's possible to 'miss the point' of the vast majority of games because of graphics - unless you're playing something like sound voyager. Because in nearly all cases, graphics are an important aspect of a videogame.

maybe not miss the point of t he game, but overlook the importance of a game like this. You're hardly ever going to be seeing the character up close, and the number of particle effects, trippy color palettes and disorienting camera movements makes slight jagginess in nthe character models a non-issue.

Krowley

starchild excalibur said:
maybe not miss the point of t he game, but overlook the importance of a game like this. You're hardly ever going to be seeing the character up close, and the number of particle effects, trippy color palettes and disorienting camera movements makes slight jagginess in nthe character models a non-issue.

This may be true, which is why i'm reserving total judgement for now... It looks very wierd and it's hard to figure out what everything in the screenshots is supposed to be because everything is so abstract.

But it does look a little jaggy and extremly simple albeit colorful and interesting at the same time..

Also, since this is a screenshot thread, i don't see why graphics comments are suddenly trolling. People shouldn't be so ultra defensive.

Baryn

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
NiGHTS is a first person jRPG with RTS elements
I :lol'd.

But seriously, is it just a ride through hoops with a limited ability to backtrack? Why does that make for such an awesome game? I never owned a Saturn, unfortunately.

Top Bottom