• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

Pachimari

Considering how the game's entire aesthetic and presentation is you in your booth, I felt that the 1:1 controls of touch added a ton to the game that mouse controls can't, since you physically have to drag tools out and move papers around and whatnot.
I wouldn't say it adds a ton compared to using the mouse. It does create a different feeling though and one closer to that of sitting in a booth perhaps. But I can see why someone would think it doesn't do much of a difference.

I'm just sitting here watching TV shows while waiting for Cosmic Express to go up. Probably within the hour.

LoveYouToBits was great while it lasted, but man was it disappointing to get the the end and realize the game isn't finished. It says more free levels coming soon, but the last update was in July, so...

sheaaaa

Considering how the game's entire aesthetic and presentation is you in your booth, I felt that the 1:1 controls of touch added a ton to the game that mouse controls can't, since you physically have to drag tools out and move papers around and whatnot.

I get that that was what they were going for, but it never felt for me like I was in the booth dragging stuff around. To me, it was just a different control scheme. I totally get how it could enhance the experience, just didn't for me.

PittaGAF

I wish the AppStore would close for the next 3 months at this point.

EDIT: Guys, we should protest!!! We should do something!!!! It's immoral releasing so many good games in such a tiny timeframe!!!!!

killercow

Played this a bit.
It's super cute and very well done, but a bit simple and repetitive, nothing like Rolando sadly.

I always felt like this would be a poor man's Rolando. I was happy to be proven wrong but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. Such a shame.

So we thought Cosmic Express would be today's indie selection but it might end up being Oxenfree? It's certainly quite the well known PC title.

I have a feeling we'll see Card Thief tomorrow.

Pachimari

But wasn't Cosmic Express' release date already confirmed to be today? I won't complain though as we've gotten Oxenfree, which I liked to play for a bit on Steam but it couldn't hold my attention for more than an hour or so. I'm definitely buying it for iPad and playing it through on this device. What a surprise release. With that, I can a little bit longer for Cosmic Express.

killercow

But wasn't Cosmic Express' release date already confirmed to be today? I won't complain though as we've gotten Oxenfree, which I liked to play for a bit on Steam but it couldn't hold my attention for more than an hour or so. I'm definitely buying it for iPad and playing it through on this device. What a surprise release. With that, I can a little bit longer for Cosmic Express.

Oh it is confirmed for today, just wondering which indie game is Apple's selection for today. Could be both but so far it's only been one each day.

killercow

Just saw that Oxenfree requires an iPhone 5S/iPad Air+. We've been getting quite a lot of games that require more powerful devices as of late. I'm all up for it if it, when it's justified, but my Air 2 is next in line :D

chiliboy

Hey all :)

I need some good tips on games that I progress in each day by playing in small doses similar to HayDay!
I've tried the star wars heroes game and I'm looking for something else.

The only criteria I really have is that it's a fair f2p game - do they exist?

I noticed through a friend that HayDay becomes just impossible to progress in without dropping real cash after a while, that is not what I'm looking for!

killercow

Hey all :)

I need some good tips on games that I progress in each day by playing in small doses similar to HayDay!
I've tried the star wars heroes game and I'm looking for something else.

The only criteria I really have is that it's a fair f2p game - do they exist?

I noticed through a friend that HayDay becomes just impossible to progress in without dropping real cash after a while, that is not what I'm looking for!

Most are absolutely built around the idea of dropping more and more cash as time goes on. As for a fair F2P game that you could play each day in small doses I'd recommend Clash Royale if you're into multiplayer games or Dandy Dungeon for a solo experience.

chiliboy

Most are absolutely built around the idea of dropping more and more cash as time goes on. As for a fair F2P game that you could play each day in small doses I'd recommend Clash Royale if you're into multiplayer games or Dandy Dungeon for a solo experience.

Yeah that is what I've figured :(

Ok cool thanks those are 2 great suggestions - I will look into them!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Pachimari

JVFsUFb.jpg
So with this iOS release I am reminded how hella stressful Oxenfree is. Going to an Island with your friends should be the most relaxing thing ever but me hating when I miss out on dialogue and details finds it to be a stressful though an interesting experience. You are sure to miss out on dialogue as the whole selling point of this game is the fluid conversations that can be interrupted and picked up on which is really cool. Sometimes I just want the characters to shut up, mostly because they speak quite fast and you won't have much time to make a decision as to what your response should be. Anyway, so speaking for this port, its a very nice one. Yeah it it isn't as pretty as on the PC of what I remember but the controls has translated well with a point and click setup. You can then press on spots of interest to interact or comment on the environment. You can also hold down your touch and slide to either side to move your character but I find this to be a less elegant solution. The game also has a radio you can activate in the top right corner and by sliding anywhere on the screen you can tune into different channels. Yeah, it seems to be a very well done port.

killercow

The game also has a radio you can activate in the top right corner and by sliding anywhere on the screen you can tune into different channels. Yeah, it seems to be a very well done port.

What device are you playing it on? From this screenshot seems like a lot of the nice aesthetic of the game is gone and replaced by blurry/pixely graphics :(

But just so you know, I've played through the entire game on PC, and that stress is part of the experience and it's what should motivate you to do a second playthrough afterwards.

PittaGAF

So with this iOS release I am reminded how hella stressful Oxenfree is. Going to an Island with your friends should be the most relaxing thing ever but me hating when I miss out on dialogue and details finds it to be a stressful though an interesting experience. You are sure to miss out on dialogue as the whole selling point of this game is the fluid conversations that can be interrupted and picked up on which is really cool. Sometimes I just want the characters to shut up, mostly because they speak quite fast and you won't have much time to make a decision as to what your response should be. Anyway, so speaking for this port, its a very nice one. Yeah it it isn't as pretty as on the PC of what I remember but the controls has translated well with a point and click setup. You can then press on spots of interest to interact or comment on the environment. You can also hold down your touch and slide to either side to move your character but I find this to be a less elegant solution. The game also has a radio you can activate in the top right corner and by sliding anywhere on the screen you can tune into different channels. Yeah, it seems to be a very well done port.

I can't download the game yet, can you see if it support iCloud device sync by any chance?
Thanks!

Pachimari

I can't download the game yet, can you see if it support iCloud device sync by any chance?
Thanks!
There's no manual cloud syncing. Don't know if it would do it automatically? But it looks like there's none really.

---

Another game I've started up today is OK Golf. It released recently. It plays like mini golf. The physics aren't a simulation of how it would work in real golf, so expect some leniency. That said, the ball does stop right away in sand, and there's small hills that makes the ball roll so you have to account for that when shooting. The controls is super simple, with you holding in on the ball and then pulling back to line up your shot, then release to shoot. The courses are very small and the less turns you use to get it in the hole the more stars you are rewarded, and thus the more courses you can unlock. There's free play mode which you need to play through (9 courses done very quick) that unlocks Chanpionship and Timed mode. I haven't tried these two yet. The game can be played in both landscape and portrait.

---

What device are you playing it on? From this screenshot seems like a lot of the nice aesthetic of the game is gone and replaced by blurry/pixely graphics :(

But just so you know, I've played through the entire game on PC, and that stress is part of the experience and it's what should motivate you to do a second playthrough afterwards.
Yeah, I also mention it in my text, that the stress is part of it. Although I don't think I'll ever do a second playthrough of this game. I honestly can't remember how exactly it looks on PC. Guess I'll give it a go today just to compare. I did think that it looked more pixelated in the iOS version yeah.

I'm playing on the latest iPad Pro 9.7.

Yeah, might pass on double-dipping

But Oxenfree is a must play if it's your first time.

awp69

Played Oxenfree on Xbox One. Great game. Highly recommended if you haven't played it but, yeah, won't be double dipping either. Even if it was a perfect port, just too many other games to play!

Pachimari

Oh wow, I had no idea Injustice 2 was soft-launched in the Philippines last month. I should download it and see how it plays.

PittaGAF

The trailer in the AppStore looks cool tough, as I remember the game looked in PC.
Maybe it's not optimized for the pro?
The game should run flawless with all the bells and whistles there.

killercow

The trailer in the AppStore looks cool tough, as I remember the game looked in PC.
Maybe it's not optimized for the pro?
The game should run flawless with all the bells and whistles there.

It often happens with games built in Unity. Here it's not much, just a slight blur of something, but it's quite noticeable in that screenshot. Shouldn't really be a bother for anyone else though as the game's main focus is on story and I won't be double dipping anyways.

Pachimari

I can deal with it. Probably because I can't remember how the PC version looks. Maybe I should not reinstall it on Steam lmao.

Where is my Cosmic Express anyway? Probably tonight.

[edit] Okay, so I've downloaded Injustice 2 from the Philippines App Store. Gonna give it a go.

Matt Frost

Rolando-esque platformer The Big Journey is out for $.99.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1178541307&mt=8

These large games (file size wise) are gonna kill me. Need to figure what to delete for this one!

Was going to until i see that it controls by tilt...

Holy Cow, critically acclaimed narrative experience Oxenfree is out on iOS: https://appsto.re/gb/qonsgb.i

And like a third cheaper than Steam! Wow! Such a high profile game and looks really good!

Pachimari

I really like what I'm playing of Injustice 2 so far. And the first one already worked well on mobile. This one is really pretty first and foremost, and because it's still in soft launch it seems to be missing music and sound effect. Each character has voice lines which are poorly delivered.

Anyway, the gameplay itself is fine. You can do basic attacks by tapping, do a Rush attack by swiping forward, and evade enemy attacks by swiping back. If you do an evade and tap the screen you can do a ranged attack. In Batman's case that would be his baterang, Harley would have her gun and Wonder Woman her shield. Each hero also has a special attack which is short but looks cool, in fact all of the animations seem really pretty and the hits really connect. On any given time you can also tag in one of your team members of which there are three, but as of what I have experimented with there's no combos during tagging.

The game is free to play, so it has the usual energy you need to spend when playing, and shards for buying chests or unlocking heroes and other currency. There doesn't seem to be too many currencies to keep an eye on though but I can't say how fair the game is in awarding these to you. The game comes with a campaign with different scenarios, a story mode, an arena for online play and some other modes. I can't wait for the music and sound effects to be in to really get me pumping. The game actually reminds me a great deal about Marvel's Champions of Contest which is a good thing. At least give this one a try if you're into mobile fighting games when it officially releases.

PittaGAF

Okay we have tomorrow's indie selection and it's not Card Thief:
Pavilion is out March 17th:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPNAQi0Y-Ic

Was about to post this.

THEY ARE COMING OUT OF THE FUCKING WALLS.

This indies week is the worst thing possible.

Rumors are saying The Witness will be the last game in the indie celebration.

Now really, we miss just Darkest Dungeon and Stasis. :p

I hope nothing good is out for at least 3 months. Starting next week (right after Sunless Sea)

killercow

Rumors are saying The Witness will be the last game in the indie celebration.

Interesting, rumors outside of what I thought when the game launched last week on Mac? Could it be somewhat related to your announcement on Monday (the last day of the indie celebration)?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Never heard of it but it looks damn beautiful! My wallet is starting to cry.

I feel this one's more about art than gameplay but It was well received on PC. I'd encourage you to read some reviews before purchasing it though as it's quite special :)

PittaGAF

Interesting, rumors outside of what I thought when the game launched last week on Mac? Could it be somewhat related to your announcement on Monday (the last day of the indie celebration)?

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

No. The announcement I mentioned before has nothing to do with the indie celebration week.
But it's something I think/hope is cool, and when I heard about it last Christmas I was shocked (in a good way, wasn't really expecting it).

PittaGAF

Even better then :)

To be honest, and I'm giving you a big hint but please if you understand don't say a word, I'm still undecided if it will be (for you specifically) the best thing ever or the biggest disappointment.
I can't remember...I even looked for your past messages on the matter but didn't find what I was looking for and gave up.

Time will tell. ;)

awp69

To be honest, and I'm giving you a big hint but please if you understand don't say a word, I'm still undecided if it will be (for you specifically) the best thing ever or the biggest disappointment.
I can't remember...I even looked for your past messages on the matter but didn't find what I was looking for and gave up.

Time will tell. ;)

Did I miss the big hint?

It's a good thing I have most of these games already on other platforms (The Witness and Oxenfree on console, The Pavilion on Shield TV). Have to say that The Witness and Oxenfree are the better of those three. Pavilion is a good game with spectacular art but not as good as those other two if you were to choose between them.

And TBH, I enjoyed The Talos Principle better than The Witness. That's on Shield TV but wasn't that also supposed to be coming to iOS?

Pachimari

C2C2sIjWgAMomCV.jpg

The Barbarian expansion for ROME: Total War releases on March 28.

Have any of you tried it out? I bought it when it released on the App Store but I haven't tried it out, and it took up 4GB on my iPad so I deleted it.

---

I'm kind of looking forward to Crash of Cars, since it reminds me of that one cartoony battle car game on the PS3 back in the days. I fear that the online community will die out fast though.

Pachimari

It has been confirmed that Death Road to Canada is not part of the Apple Indie Week. It will likely hit the App Store next week though.

killercow

Time will tell. ;)

Intrigued but coming up short for now :)

Did I miss the big hint?

It's a good thing I have most of these games already on other platforms (The Witness and Oxenfree on console, The Pavilion on Shield TV). Have to say that The Witness and Oxenfree are the better of those three. Pavilion is a good game with spectacular art but not as good as those other two if you were to choose between them.

And TBH, I enjoyed The Talos Principle better than The Witness. That's on Shield TV but wasn't that also supposed to be coming to iOS?

The Talos Principle could come to iOS, its Shield exclusivity should no longer be an issue, but the lack of communication and the fact that the developers have moved on make this one seem unlikely.

Pachimari

Day 1 - Mushroom 11
Day 2 - Kingdom: New Lands
Day 3 - Beglitched
Day 4 - Euclidean Lands
Day 5 - Bit City
Day 6 - Golf Zero
Day 7 - Ticket to Earth
Day 8 - Oxenfree

Day 9 - Pavilion
Day 10 - Typeshift
Day 11 - ?
Day 12 - ?

So only one day is really an unknown to us now, since Card Thief will come out either on Day 11 or 12.

PittaGAF

Did I miss the big hint?

The hint is understandable just by Killercow I think.
BUT don't worry, if my memory serves me well, you will love it.

Assuming it's good eh?
I just know something really unexpected is in the making. Something dear to many of us here.
But I saw nothing.

I'm pretty confident tough :p

Pachimari

The hint is understandable just by Killercow I think.
BUT don't worry, if my memory serves me well, you will love it.

Assuming it's good eh?
I just know something really unexpected is in the making. Something dear to many of us here.
But I saw nothing.

I'm pretty confident tough :p

Fucking STARDEW VALLEY! I knew it! ... *hope fades*... :(

This really was an amazing line-up

It was objectively a very great line-up yeah. Personally though, I can't see myself spend much time with anything other than Kingdom: New Lands and Card Thief.

Top Bottom