• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Again regarding Ryzen, I've read a lot of discussion which makes it seem like buying RAM for a Ryzen chip is complicated. I've been holding off on building a Ryzen 5 1600 rig for a few months now because until last month it was impossible to find DDR4-3000+ RAM here in Japan, and even now the only 16gb kit available here runs around $170 (Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000).

Is it necesarry to buy RAM at a higher clock speed for a Ryzen build, or is just better?

I'm going to be using it for content creation. Money isn't really an issue, I'm just cheap.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Again regarding Ryzen, I've read a lot of discussion which makes it seem like buying RAM for a Ryzen chip is complicated. I've been holding off on building a Ryzen 5 1600 rig for a few months now because until last month it was impossible to find DDR4-3000+ RAM here in Japan, and even now the only 16gb kit available here runs around $170 (Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000).

Is it necesarry to buy RAM at a higher clock speed for a Ryzen build, or is just better?

I'm going to be using it for content creation. Money isn't really an issue, I'm just cheap.

Ryzen loves faster RAM speed because that is what ties in with the Ryzen infinity fabric bandwidth. Slower ram = worse performance across the board.

3000 is about the sweet spot in regards to cost and so on. The LPX 3000 kits are Hynix and run fine on newer Bios that use updated AGESA 1.0.0.6.

P.S Don't expect DDR4 ram prices to drop any time soon if anything they'll keep rising due to demand and shortages.

Ladekabel

Intel does beat Ryzen in gaming performance, but the gap isn't big and Ryzen is a MUCH a much better value. Seeing that you are on a modest budget I would go for that Ryzen 5 1600. Great CPU for around $200.

Intel does outperform Ryzen in many games, but that gap seems to be closing. I think it was a 15-20% improvement at Ryzen's launch, but we're largely talking ~10% or less on some recent benchmarks. Ryzen is considered to be better at basically anything that can use more than 2-4 cores (video rendering, streaming, etc). It's also considered better for "future proofing" because the AM4 platform should stick around for at least 3 more years whereas Intel's current LGA1151 platform is expected to lose support in a year or so, I think. So you can more easily upgrade if you go the Ryzen route, or so the rumors state. Also, of course, all those extra cores/threads on Ryzen are definitely more future proof than Intel.

But, if you're only interested in gaming and definitely want the best experience right now and in the short-term, Intel would probably be the way to go.

Added bonus: The Ryzen 1600 and 1700 come with a good cooler that you can probably use and not need to worry about buying an aftermarket CPU cooler, which should save you some cash.

For the power supply (PSU), put all of your components in PCPartPicker.com and at the top right it will tell you your wattage needs. Make sure you're at least 100w above that and you should be good. In general, most single-GPU systems can be safe with a 500w power supply, but I personally prefer to grab a 550-600w just to give a bit of extra coverage. The most important thing besides wattage is getting a good PSU; find a good brand and then double-check ratings/reviews/tests on that PSU.

You should start by finding a case size you want. ATX are the largest, mATX tend to run a bit smaller, and mITX are by far the smallest. Then go to Newegg.com and sort by that size and see what looks nice. I have a Thermaltake Core V21 that I got for $35 after rebate and it's nice because you can move the side panel window around to either side or the top even if you want; it's a mATX case and is overall great for the price, but lacks some benefits of pricier cases (this case has pretty bad cable management options, IMO).

Thanks for the answers. 550-600 watt should be enough. Will look for a case that I like. The Core V21 mentioned looks nice. What would be some other cases which look similiar?

It should be more longterm so am I correct that I should go Ryzen? It is mainly for gaming but probably for other stuff, too. How loud are the stock fans on it? I recently installed a Cooler Master 212 Evo on my i5-2500k and never knew how much I hated the noise the stock one made.

Ryzen loves faster RAM speed because that is what ties in with the Ryzen infinity fabric bandwidth. Slower ram = worse performance across the board.

3000 is about the sweet spot in regards to cost and so on. The LPX 3000 kits are Hynix and run fine on newer Bios that use updated AGESA 1.0.0.6.

P.S Don't expect DDR4 ram prices to drop any time soon if anything they'll keep rising due to demand and shortages.

Bummer. The price is shocking considering I paid under $30 for the 8gb kit I put in my current rig back in 2011 .

Thanks for the help. 16gb DDR4-3000 is actually cheaper to import using Amazon USA, even counting shipping and customs, so I guess I'll browse over there and pick up whichever has the sickest heatsink.

Thanks for the answers. 550-600 watt should be enough. Will look for a case that I like. The Core V21 mentioned looks nice. What would be some other cases which look similiar?

It should be more longterm so am I correct that I should go Ryzen? It is mainly for gaming but probably for other stuff, too. How loud are the stock fans on it? I recently installed a Cooler Master 212 Evo on my i5-2500k and never knew how much I hated the noise the stock one made.

Current advice is to go Ryzen for "future-proofing" builds due to the extra cores/threads. A 1600 or 1700 being ideal.

Stock 1600/1700 CPU coolers (Wraith Spire) are good. If you end up not liking it you can get an AM4 adapter for your 212 Evo for a couple dollars and use that instead, then just sell your Wraith Spire cooler.

Ryne

I asked this question before, but is there a bigger mouse than the Naos 7000? I have a bit of a hybrid claw/palm grip and would like a larger/wider mouse.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, got the new processor installed (was nervous as hell doing it, but it seems to have gone okay). Gonna be paranoid for a while that I did something wrong though, like not enough thermal paste or didn't put the fan back on tight enough or something. :lol

Anyway though, in the past week-ish I've gone from:

Pentium G630 2x@2.70GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB RAM

to

Core i5-2500S 4x@2.70GHz
Radeon HD 6570
8GB RAM

I know that might not seem terribly impressive to most ITT, but being on a low budget and having been stuck on those former specs for 5 years now, this upgrade feels absolutely massive. :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It looks awesome! No problem, have fun!

The consumer Vega card is getting revealed on the 30th if I recall correctly, if it offers competitive performance and pricing it could be a worthwhile upgrade, or affect the pricing of the NVIDIA cards which you could upgrade to if they're offering the performance for the price you like.

In my honest opinion I think the GTX 1070 and above NVIDIA cards are overpriced, NVIDIA are free to price things at whatever they like because AMD haven't brought a competing product to market yet. I think it would be a good idea to wait and see what Vega offers and see if you like it, if it offers competitive performance and pricing it could make NVIDIA lower their prices of their higher-end GPUs which you may or may not find more desirable over AMD's upcoming Vega.

I think the GTX 1080 is decent upgrade from a GTX 970, I'm actually targeting that kind of performance or above when I upgrade from my GTX 970, if I upgraded from my 1535MHz GTX 970 to a GTX 1080 running at a clock speed of 2GHz (which is pretty much the max OC you can get from them) I can expect a performance improvement of around 2x, this is the minimum I target when I upgrade my GPUs. However I'm not very fond of the GTX 1080's pricing, you may feel different about it though.

I'm personally holding out to see Vega's affect on the market but I'm contemplating on waiting to see the consumer Volta cards as I'm in no rush to upgrade my GPU at the moment, and waiting longer could get me a larger upgrade at a similar or lower price. I don't know when the consumer Volta cards will become available but I'm in no rush anyway.
I'd like to upgrade to a card which brings a new or existing level of performance to a lower price point, like the GTX 970 did, or something new to the high-end at a price a deem appropriate.

There is of-course the GTX 1080 Ti above it as well, which offers greater performance at a higher cost. It's down to your budget and the performance you desire really.

For your server any GPU will do, I think you might even be able to run it without a GPU and just remote into from your local network or just use integrated graphics if the motherboard has it.
How much processing power are you looking for and what's your budget?

I never thanked you for your reply.

I will probably stick with my 970 for the time being. When I feel like I NEED an upgrade, I'll likely do a CPU/MOBO upgrade first. When I start to feel the hurt, I'll at least make a positive step for the next stage of gaming.

As for my media server, I want to hardwire it into my modem (that's the easy part) and broadcast my PLEX server locally. I've got everything from 480p to Blu-ray backups that I've made that I want to be able to stream. I don't like having a DVD/Blu-Ray player setup just to watch old episodes of Friends/Seinfeld/HIMYM in the background while my wife and I do whatever around the house.

As for budget, I'd like to keep it in the $300-500 range. I know I'll need a MOBO, CPU, RAM, PSU, small HDD/SSD for the OS, and then I can transplant my 6TB media drive over.

Sou Da

Thoughts? Anything I can do better here?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y97fLD
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y97fLD/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.77 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - Radeon RX 580 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $660.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-26 13:50 EDT-0400

Bloodember

Thoughts? Anything I can do better here?

Here's a better build for you. More RAM, a better PSU and an M.2 SSD for about the same money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.77 @ OutletPC)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $660.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-26 14:01 EDT-0400

Here's the same as above but with a different case, that cost less. I like it better, but that's just my opinion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $634.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-26 14:04 EDT-0400

Nice to see some Ryzen discussion. I'm thinking of getting a Ryzen 5 1600 as well, although I have no clue what motherboard I should chose. Suggestions?

Choosing motherboard is the hardest decision for me since I started building my own PCs back in 2003 (during the AMD Athlon days btw), I don't really know what to look for besides the obvious things such as CPU socket etc.

Well maybe you were covering this as "etc" but things to look for:

Memory brand/speed support
# SATA 6G ports depending on how many SSDs you have (if applicable)
M.2 support (if applicable)
on-board graphics (if it matters)

Everything else is whether it supports your CPU, form factor, aesthetics, I/O ports.

Sou Da

Here's a better build for you. More RAM, a better PSU and an M.2 SSD for about the same money.

Here's the same as above but with a different case, that cost less. I like it better, but that's just my opinion.
Thanks a ton, I knew I shouldn't have been allergic to window cases. Though I wonder, is it better to just get a bigger ssd with the HDD money or is the market a bit too fucked for that?

Edit: I should probably buy that RAM immediately huh?

Alright, got the new processor installed (was nervous as hell doing it, but it seems to have gone okay). Gonna be paranoid for a while that I did something wrong though, like not enough thermal paste or didn't put the fan back on tight enough or something. :lol

Pentium G630 2x@2.70GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB RAM

to

Core i5-2500S 4x@2.70GHz
Radeon HD 6570
8GB RAM

I know that might not seem terribly impressive to most ITT, but being on a low budget and having been stuck on those former specs for 5 years now, this upgrade feels absolutely massive. :D

That's a huge step up from what you had. PC gamings isn't all about the newest tech and highest frame rates. It's about a tailored experience that you can afford.

Don't sweat the thermal paste. It's not like you're overclocking that CPU or anything. As long as it boots up and runs your games, it's all good.

kmfdmpig

Pentium G630 2x@2.70GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB RAM

to

Core i5-2500S 4x@2.70GHz
Radeon HD 6570
8GB RAM

That'll be a night and day difference. Enjoy it!

picked up a cheap 1060 a while ago and now im thinking about making the upgrade to the rest of my PC. are these good pairings for that card?

I5-7500
MSI Z270-A Pro
Gskill Ripjaw V 2x8GB DDR4-3000

That CPU is not over-clockable so you may be able to go for a cheaper board (one with a chip that doesn't support overclocking) if you're really trying to stay as low budget as possible.

On the other hand a cheaper board may not have support for that speed RAM.

If you're not that concerned about the first thing then just go with this combo.

Dibbs

Well maybe you were covering this as "etc" but things to look for:

Memory brand/speed support
# SATA 6G ports depending on how many SSDs you have (if applicable)
M.2 support (if applicable)
on-board graphics (if it matters)

Everything else is whether it supports your CPU, form factor, aesthetics, I/O ports.

That mostly covers it, thanks (etc is a good word when you're trying to act like you're "in the know" :D)

Ty4on

Anybody know of some smaller ATX cases that don't have the traditional layout with 5 1/4 and 3.5 bays in the front and a PSU above or below the motherboard?

I've just found a couple of cases like the Lian Li PC-TU300 and Riotoro CR1080, but neither go very far and are still quite big.

There are plenty of mATX and ITX cases that do it, but I'm specifically thinking of full size ATX.

Bloodember

Thanks a ton, I knew I shouldn't have been allergic to window cases. Though I wonder, is it better to just get a bigger ssd with the HDD money or is the market a bit too fucked for that?

Edit: I should probably buy that RAM immediately huh?
SSD pricing is still pretty high, if you need the space keep the hdd. As for the ram, yeah that's pretty cheap right now, so if your getting it might want to grab it now.

SSD pricing is still pretty high, if you need the space keep the hdd. As for the ram, yeah that's pretty cheap right now, so if your getting it might want to grab it now.
RAM is still in the middle of a shortage, so it's not really cheap, especially compared to this time last year.

Ryne

I got another question, I'm upgrading my OS SSD so I would like the transfer the data from my old SSD to my new one.

Is there a way to do that without cracking open the PC at first?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Would a pcie SSD eliminate asset load hitching/stutter compared to a regular SSD? For example 850 Evo Vs 960 Evo which is considerably faster. It's one of the most annoying performance problems for me.

Magwik

Banned
I got another question, I'm upgrading my OS SSD so I would like the transfer the data from my old SSD to my new one.

Is there a way to do that without cracking open the PC at first?
I used EaseUS to copy my OS from my HDD to a new SSD a while back. Worked well enough for me.

Hello all, these are the two setups i'm currently deciding between thee's not much different in price for the 1080 so i'm just curious what the difference would be between them and what kind of performance would I be getting, say for Witcher 3 at max for example.
MbSXc9L.png

vs

nAuomZO.png

Hello all, these are the two setups i'm currently deciding between thee's not much different in price for the 1080 so i'm just curious what the difference would be between them and what kind of performance would I be getting, say for Witcher 3 at max for example.
MbSXc9L.png

vs

nAuomZO.png

I'd get the top build. The 7700k will go a lot farther than a 6700 due to the 7700k being overclockable.

kmfdmpig

I'd get the top build. The 7700k will go a lot farther than a 6700 due to the 7700k being overclockable.

If you get a 7700k and intend to overclock it then you'll need a Z270 Motherboard, not an H270.

You'll also need a good cooler, which I assume comes with it, but is not specified.

Adding an SSD, even a small one, would also make a big difference in those builds.

If you get a 7700k and intend to overclock it then you'll need a Z270 Motherboard, not an H270.

You'll also need a good cooler, which I assume comes with it, but is not specified.

Adding an SSD, even a small one, would also make a big difference in those builds.

Good catch on the mobo. My mistake, wasn't paying attention.

kmfdmpig

Good catch on the mobo. My mistake, wasn't paying attention.

No worries. Builders should make overclockable motherboards the norm for K series chips, IMO. It's certainly possible some will not want to overclock a 7700k (I haven't overlocked mine), but for the small price difference the builder should make it the default to at least enable it as an option for the user whether in the short term or down the road.

If I want to upgrade my CPU and RAM, what good choices are there?
At the moment I have an i5-2500 (not k) and 8 GB Ram.
The case is a HAF 900 (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/haf-912.html) it supports a ATX motherboard so it shouldn't be a problem.

I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B010T6DCBS/ (i5 6600K) and https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0126R3QPA/ but I'm no expert!
This for RAM : https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0134EW7G8/ but I guess that I should go with a low profile one?

Also, what good CPU Cooler (air- not liquid) do you suggest?

edit: forgot, right now I have a GTX970 4 GB and a PSU of 650W (it should suffice right?)

Any suggestions on 27inch 1080p/144hz monitors?

I've been using a 60hz 32inch TV for the past 10 years for my PC/consoles but now it's really on the way out.

The case is a HAF 900 (http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/mid-tower/haf-912.html) it supports a ATX motherboard so it shouldn't be a problem.

I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.it/dp/B010T6DCBS/ (i5 6600K) and https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0126R3QPA/ but I'm no expert!
This for RAM : https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0134EW7G8/ but I guess that I should go with a low profile one?

edit: forgot, right now I have a GTX970 4 GB and a PSU of 650W (it should suffice right?)

What are your primary uses for your computer? Gaming? It might be worth considering going for the Ryzen (AMD) series of processors (and a compatible motherboard) instead of Intel, depending on what you're doing with the computer.

I was looking at:

If you go with Intel, get the i7-7700k. Everything else imo isn't worth it. The i5-6600k is from the last generation of Intels CPUs (which isn't a huge problem, though!), but the thing is it has 4 cores and 4 threads. For the ~same price you can get a Ryzen 5 1600, which is also overclockable, has a nice cooler that comes with it and has 6 cores and 12 threads. Right now the Ryzen is slightly behind the Intel processor in terms of gaming (and destroys Intel in everything else), but it's most likely gonna get better in the future relative to Intels CPUs because it has so much more cores and threads.

What are your primary uses for your computer? Gaming? It might be worth considering going for the Ryzen (AMD) series of processors (and a compatible motherboard) instead of Intel, depending on what you're doing with the computer.
Gaming basically

If you go with Intel, get the i7-7700k. Everything else imo isn't worth it. The i5-6600k is from the last generation of Intels CPUs (which isn't a huge problem, though!), but the thing is it has 4 cores and 4 threads. For the ~same price you can get a Ryzen 5 1600, which is also overclockable, has a nice cooler that comes with it and has 6 cores and 12 threads. Right now the Ryzen is slightly behind the Intel processor in terms of gaming (and destroys Intel in everything else), but it's most likely gonna get better in the future relative to Intels CPUs because it has so much more cores and threads.
I've read in the past that i7 are overkill for gaming? But like I've said, I'm no expert. THe point also is that the price is almost double xD

Skinpop

Would a pcie SSD eliminate asset load hitching/stutter compared to a regular SSD? For example 850 Evo Vs 960 Evo which is considerably faster. It's one of the most annoying performance problems for me.

Very unlikely. There are still bandwidth constraints.

I've read in the past that i7 are overkill for gaming? But like I've said, I'm no expert. THe point also is that the price is almost double xD

You might want to look at the Ryzen 1600; it comes with a good CPU cooler (air) and although it's not quite as good as a 7700k for gaming, I think it's comparable to a 6600k... but the Ryzen has an added benefit of having more cores/threads which should be beneficial for long-term use a few years down the road. I believe the R1600 costs a couple Euro less than the 6600k.

Out of interest, what's the market like for highly colour-accurate IPS monitors - that also have G-SYNC? Or at least monitors that are a good mix for digital art / media creation and gaming?
Only bothered about 75Hz, maybe 1440P... IPS is a must, G-SYNC a bonus, something like that?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Very unlikely. There are still bandwidth constraints.

What is most likely to reduce them? Or is it just something we have to deal with? Not all games suffer with this issue, but I'd say it's one of the more common performance issues I run into.

kuYuri

Übermatik;244633330 said:
Out of interest, what's the market like for highly colour-accurate IPS monitors - that also have G-SYNC? Or at least monitors that are a good mix for digital art / media creation and gaming?
Only bothered about 75Hz, maybe 1440P... IPS is a must, G-SYNC a bonus, something like that?

There are all kinds of IPS monitors. But you're looking at 27 inch/1440p minimum if you want IPS and G-Sync on a monitor. There are only a few of those that exist and the cost for those start at about $650-$700. There are around 10~ of these monitors and about half are 16:9, while the rest are ultrawide 21:9 monitors.

Dibbs

if you don't plan to use more than 1 GPU, B350 boards are the best bang for you buck. I did a lot of research myself, and I will byu the asus b350 strix. great looking board, and has more features than the regular b350 such as better sound, rgb lighting, etc..

Thanks! Think I'll go with a Mortar Arctic and this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QgKtf8

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QgKtf8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QgKtf8/by_merchant/

Motherboard: MSI - B350M MORTAR ARCTIC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: be quiet! - Pure Power 10 CM 600W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $601.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-27 08:17 EDT-0400

You might want to look at the Ryzen 1600; it comes with a good CPU cooler (air) and although it's not quite as good as a 7700k for gaming, I think it's comparable to a 6600k... but the Ryzen has an added benefit of having more cores/threads which should be beneficial for long-term use a few years down the road. I believe the R1600 costs a couple Euro less than the 6600k.

And what about motherboards? I've seen there are some cheap ones (100€) but don't know about the quality

Not only is Ryzen getting closer in performance, it's also more power efficient unbelievably than Intel's newest Skylake-X. Consumes less power and produces much less heat.

And what about motherboards? I've seen there are some cheap ones (100€) but don't know about the quality

So, it depends on your case first of all. Are you going to re-use your current case? If so, do you know if it fits ATX, mATX, or mITX motherboards? My guess is that it is a "full-size" case which would hold an ATX motherboard.

Assuming that's true, honestly, there are a ton of options for Intel's LGA1151 and AMD's AM4 chipsets. You'll kind of need to decide what your goals are and price range. I personally have an MSI B350M Gaming Pro which is a mATX-sized motherboard that is on the fairly low-end in terms of both cost and features, and it's still perfectly workable for my Ryzen 1700 build, IMO. On the other hand, you can get a full ATX-sized motherboard for your Ryzen, something like this which is an X370 (basically a more feature-filled motherboard than most B350 motherboards). It has a few features that can be convenient such as built-in Wifi, USB-C ports, and multiple M.2 ports for newer SSDs.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are tons of motherboards within the $70-$250 price range. The first thing I'd do is decide on a size or budget, then decide the other, then start looking at some of the features. Gigabyte, ASRock, ASUS, and MSI are probably the most well-known and trusted brands, but other ones (e.g., Biostar) can be OK too.

Murdamonk

I want to build another PC just for gaming... on a TV/Projector. (1080p for now).

What i have right now is an HP Compaq Elite 8300 i7 3770 16gb RAM, which i had added a low-profile MSI GTX 1050ti (only graphic card that fit in that small case)

I used it mostly for emulators (Like CEMU) and games that isn't too GPU heavy... I can't even get to play Street Fighter V and Tekken at max setting :(

Would you guys recommended that i go with an I7 7700k or a AMD 1700 for my next build? I will of course change the case and the GPU for something more powerful.

Top Bottom