• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there any modern games like Secret of Mana?

daninthemix

If I search for action RPGs, all I get are Diablo-style isometric dungeon crawlers. I love the old console-style action RPGs, though even back then I don't feel there were many games like Secret of Mana. The majority of RPGs were turn-based.

Does anyone know of any modern games like Secret of Mana, or modern console-style action RPGs?

Poppyseed

If I search for action RPGs, all I get are Diablo-style isometric dungeon crawlers. I love the old console-style action RPGs, though even back then I don't feel there were many games like Secret of Mana. The majority of RPGs were turn-based.

Does anyone know of any modern games like Secret of Mana, or modern console-style action RPGs?

I hear "I Am Setsuna" is a modern throwback RPG. I've been tempted to pick it up on the Switch. Secret of Mana is one of my absolute favorite games. Setsuna isn't real-time combat like Mana was, though.

Decado

Ys series the only one with new entries I can think of.

Secrets of Grindia and CrossCode on PC (early access). Bit more Zelda, though.

Tizoc

Look up the ys series, xanadu next and brandish dark revenant
xanadu next is a mix of diablo+legend of zelda tho but has a neat sense of adventure

OP, did you at least play Seiken Densetsu 3? (Secret of Mana 2)

sd3box.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

35238-Seiken_Densetsu_3_(Japan)_[En_by_LNF+Neill_Corlett+SoM2Freak_v1.01]-8.jpg

sd01b.png

Drewboy64

The real question for me is, are there any games like this that also have Secret of Mana's coop play? Kind of astounding how few games have full story rpg coop play even now.

Dio

Banned
The real question for me is, are there any games like this that also have Secret of Mana's coop play? Kind of astounding how few games have full story rpg coop play even now.

Tales is the only ARPG series I know of that still has coop play for battles.

redcrayon

Adventures of Mana on Vita is a remake of the first Mana game. The Ys games are also a good bet.

On 3DS you could try Fantasy Life.

I am Setsuna on consoles.

Team fights boss.

Sprite uses gem missile.

Wait for animation.

Sprite uses gem missile.

Wait for animation.

Sprite uses...

Seriously, coop in SoM series was a bit over rated when the best way to beat bosses was just for the spell caster to do all the work, meaning all the coop people just kind of wait around.

kromeo

Team fights boss.

Sprite uses gem missile.

Wait for animation.

Sprite uses gem missile.

Wait for animation.

Sprite uses...

Seriously, coop in SoM series was a bit over rated when the best way to beat bosses was just for the spell caster to do all the work, meaning all the coop people just kind of wait around.

I used to play this with my cousin when I was like 8, we always tried to beat every boss without using attack magic, it's much more fun that way

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Team fights boss.

Sprite uses gem missile.

Wait for animation.

Sprite uses gem missile.

Wait for animation.

Sprite uses...

My dad and I finished SoM together in co-op when it came out. One of the best memories I have. Glad I didn't have internet back then or know anything about the "best way" to play.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
OP is asking for games like secret of mana why are people saying Ys? Secret of mana is slow and methodical Ys games are breakneck and insane

I mean yeah it's my favorite action rpg series, but weird suggestion

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Also has no one here mentioned Secret of Evermore?

Great game but not modern obviously if it's on SNES. Alchemy system could have been thought out better (stronger spells using rarer ingredients so you don't level them up as much as weaker spells) but I guess that's my only main complaint.

Violet_0

Banned
if we ignore the "modern" requirement for just a moment, Evermore is pretty great as mentioned above and you really should try Terranigma. And SD3 is fantastic, of course

daninthemix

Thanks all for the suggestions. Grindea does indeed look great, but its still in early access. A big part of the appeal of these games is the fact that its an epic 40-hour adventure, not an unfinished, 10 hour thing that ends abruptly. Will definitely keep an eye on it though.

Top Bottom