• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ME3 multiplayer details leak [Update 4: Game Informer Can't Read]

HK-47 said:
Planescape is a bit rough to tweak sometimes, but BG II was never a problem. you can check out the gog threads for mods. I'm sure Minsc has them posted.
Hell yeah.

Give me something to do over the hot summer.

squicken

No one will play this over BF3 or MW3 or Halo:Warmed-Over. ME2 was flawed but still very good. ME3 looks good enough, so this won't screw it up too bad.

Plasma

Banned
As long as it doesn't impact the single player development it really doesn't bother me all that much.

I hope they don't just half arse it though and let it turn into another Gears clone, they could use the different species for something unique.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Sounds like a complete waste of time, probably be dead within a few months.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I thought they said no multiplayer for ME3??

deathberry

Neo Member
ElectricBlue187 said:
If they really delayed ME3 to add fucking deathmatch multiplayer....you're dead to me. DEAD.

My guess is EA made them delay the game mostly due to the other huge games coming out in holiday season this year. Adding the MP with all the "extra time" they now have might have been a byproduct of the delay.

so this got delayed so it can get the same judgement as Dead Space 2 multiplayer? Completely unnecessary and throwaway stuff after a couple matches.

They should just release the singleplayer version now and add multiplayer schenanigans as DLC for those who are interested in it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dr Eggman said:
I thought they said no multiplayer for ME3??
This is what I remember them going on the record about.

Decreases the validity of the rumour considerably. Not that it's not possible, I kind of expect it really.

gdt

I actually think ME's power and tech abilities could make a really cool rock/paper/scissors kind of multi. And a sort of co-op is inevitable, with major class distinctions that force real cooperation by different classes.

I don't know, I'd definitely give it a shot. And we know it's a different studio tackling the multi.

With all the cool tech and biotic powers, this could be fun. I'm for it, the game was always a shooter with weak RPG elements at best.

Give it up, the game never was and never was going to become a hardcore RPG.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
My first impression from reading the title was huge disappointment, but then reading that it had a Horde Mode experience relieved me - the MP part really is totally unnecessary, but I'll be damned if I didn't picture Mass Effect 2 to have 3 player co-op of the whole story when I played Mass Effect 1 and finished it - and this is partially that dream without interference of the main story.

I like it, the Horde Mode part. Best part is that if this rumor doesn't turn out to be true, then nothing's lost. But the multiplayer is going to get that same reception that wasn't welcomed like BioShock 2.

But other than that, I remember them specifically saying no multiplayer, so I don't know what's up with this rumor.

Acheteedo

I was about to get pissed... but then read that wonderful word "Horde". I'll reserve my judgement for now.

I was actually a fan of DAII, but the impact of EAs oppression was clear for all to see, I'm concerned about what's happening to Bioware.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really, really wish this launched in November so I could have picked it up in 2012 at 20$.

It'd be nice if it was presented as an optional world in the universe. You go there, and there's a portal that gathers up dozens of Shepherds at any given time from the multitude of alternate universe Shepherds out there.

I think that'd be awesome. I'd already have 58 distinct characters to play as. I might even have to pay for XBL under that scenario.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
JVrYf.png

Palette Swap said:
What's the rationale behind this ?

Online shooters are a saturated market and ME's selling point is mostly its cinematic experience, which includes making your own sheppard, his/her choices and carrying them over from one game to the next.
If you want to make it more appealing to the shooter crowd, streamline the RPG elements, tighten the action and make it feel even more cinematic, that's pretty much what ME2 did.

I really have a hard time picturing a scenario where someone would pick the game because it has multiplayer elements and wouldn't have picked it otherwise.

Every single cent that goes towards this shit is wasted. This doesn't add any value whatsoever.

The rationale is that Bioware probably believed that the next thing they needed to have in order to have a stronger hold on the players is to have MP added, they were probably led to believe that ME2 had strong shooter mechanics, which it didn't, but nobody in the press would ever tell them that, the reviews made them believe they had a bonafide GOTY in their hands.

evangd007

*Came in hoping for the ability to go through campaign mode with friends
*Saw that it was just boring, compulsory MP
*Left disappointed

Zeliard

Skilotonn said:
But other than that, I remember them specifically saying no multiplayer, so I don't know what's up with this rumor.

It's probably true. EA wants that WoW dollar and that Call of Duty dollar. They're doing whatever they think it takes to squeeze it out. They (and some other publishers) think everything shooty needs multiplayer as some default bullet point, so why not Mass Effect?

We're going to reach a point if we haven't already when the only mainstream games that feel they can get away with no multi are big RPGs like The Witcher or Skyrim, or scripted story-based games like L.A. Noire (and the latter couldn't resist adding some silly online element to the interrogations). Multiplayer and social gaming is where a lot of the money is and many can't resist attempting to go there, so we may eventually find it's those titles which rely heavily on player immersion that forgo MP (or make SP/MP seamless and unobtrusive like Demon's Souls and Journey).

It also doesn't do some of the less popular console games any favors to release map packs and such at a price when that only splinters their already-tiny communities even further, until nobody cares. Call of Duty and Halo can afford to do that because they have persistent and large online communities who will buy anything. Many other games attempting to ape their success on consoles don't have that luxury.

macewank

honestly wonder if some of these game developers actually play video games. i'm all for tacking on features to make games a better value, but if the OP is true those modes are so out of place in a game like Mass Effect. if the intent is to add multiplayer to extend the experience and prevent churn, you're not going to do that with what they're offering here.

I try it. It could be fun. I've been secretly waiting for an RPG to have a multiplayer component. I just hope its made right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ray Muzyka has officially changed BioWare's stance on Mass Effect 3 having multiplayer to "we're not saying, but stay tuned."

CVG said:
Ray Muzyka: "We're exploring multiplayer modalities for all of our games. We're interested in the idea, but, you know, we have nothing to announce on that front on the show today."

CVG: "But, is it something you can say is definitely not in Mass Effect 3?"

Ray Muzyka: "No, we have nothing to announce today at E3. We're announcing a lot of features here, there's a lot of cool stuff, and we're always looking forward to the future where we can talk about more things."

CVG: "I look forward to hearing about it."
Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...e-exploring-multiplayer-for-all-of-our-games/

You can also see Greg Zeschuk smile and look around nervously in the video when Ray is saying his last line.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
What's wrong with a Mass Effect multiplayer game? Hopefully it's just a fun addition. Not that I'd play it much so for me it's probably just a waste of money on EA's part.

So not only are Bioware seemingly forgetting how to tell a good story and finish the trilogy in a worthy way, but they're also focusing on multiplayer. Great.

Almost certainly going to be a crap game.

Top Bottom