• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

This was posted on here a while back:

WD 1st week in UK
PS4 49%
Xbone 27%
X360 13%
PS3 9%

If true, you start to realise why PC gaming doesn't get the attention from devs it deserves. Granted, that's only UK, but I imagine it will be similar elsewhere.

The vast majority of people don't buy PC games at retail anymore.

I see a lot of people on Reddit blaming Sony for pressuring Ubisoft for parity. Any truth to that? Why would Ubi hold the PC version back?

danwarb

DoF is rough in some of those shots (I'm not a big fan of DoF while playing), but it looks nice otherwise.

I questioned the time of day and how much the downgrade was in the graphics comparison until this happened in the video...looks like low vs high...where high doesn't actually exist.

pscmyp.gif

Does that effect (the fog) exist at all in the entryway on any setting?

That looks like the nvidia physx smoke effect. The consoles have AMD GPUs.

After watching a video of the mod, I must say, that while it looks good, it still doesn't look anything like that 2012 E3 reveal. I bet you that for the reveal they did a vertical slice playthrough, recorded it, added all sorts of post-processing after effects, and re-rendered the vertical slice demo offline to make it look better than it could ever look running realtime, including adding all sorts of geometry, physics, etc. that are now missing from the game.

AU Tiger

This has been mostly fixed as the mod changes the way that the textures are streamed now. I don't think it was quite that the fix was just sitting there. Also capable 2GB cards are seeing decent performance improvements even with the enhancements thanks to the improvements of the mod

i7 4770k and GTX 680. Any estimate of what sort of frame rate and settings @ 1080p I can reasonably expect with this mod?

omonimo

Banned
watch_dogs2014-06-16142sy9.jpg

& now I'm curious how really work the other effects for the whole game because DOF seems atrocious most of the time. I suspect Ubisoft have made terrible decision artistically & technically to ruin a lot of area in the game because the graphic tech not work properly with their artistic choice. It would explain the launch delay.

HariKari

If true, you start to realise why PC gaming doesn't get the attention from devs it deserves. Granted, that's only UK, but I imagine it will be similar elsewhere.

Completely worthless if it doesn't include digital sales. The margin is also higher, so sales don't have to be 1:1 necessarily for PC to be worth it.

danwarb

After watching a video of the mod, I must say, that while it looks good, it still doesn't look anything like that 2012 E3 reveal. I bet you that for the reveal they did a vertical slice playthrough, recorded it, added all sorts of post-processing after effects, and re-rendered the vertical slice demo offline to make it look better than it could ever look running realtime, including adding all sorts of geometry, physics, etc. that are now missing from the game.

Nah, they probably just had every effect in the nvidia toolbox turned on, and then the focus shifted to consoles.

DoF is rough in some of those shots (I'm not a big fan of DoF while playing), but it looks nice otherwise.

I questioned the time of day and how much the downgrade was in the graphics comparison until this happened in the video...looks like low vs high...where high doesn't actually exist.

pscmyp.gif

Does that effect (the fog) exist at all in the entryway on any setting?

This stuff happened with Far Cry 3 as well. In the initial E3 demo, the underwater stuff looked *way* better. But I guess as they try to optimize these games, they have to sacrifice detail to get it to run well.

danwarb

watch_dogs2014-06-16142sy9.jpg

& now I'm curious how really work the other effects for the whole game because DOF seems atrocious most of the time. I suspect Ubisoft have made terrible decision artistically & technically to ruin a lot of area in the game because the graphic tech not work properly with their artistic choice. It would explain the launch delay.

You could change where it comes in. I think this is just on to show that it work.

I'm trying to understand the business/psychology of stuff like this.

CLEARLY, the PC version could have shipped with much more scaleable graphics clarity and effects. However, Ubisoft decided to lower the maximum graphic threshold for the PC version because...

...because, WHY?

1. Is it because they make more money off the console sales, and don't want to give people too much of a conundrum when deciding which version to get?

2. But wouldn't Ubisoft save money without having to deal with licensing with Sony/Microsoft and the whole PSN/XBL console "filter", so to speak?

3. Did Sony/Microsoft PAY Ubisoft not to make the PC version look WAY WAY better on PC than PS4 or XB1?

I don't get it. Why lock the game at a lower graphical fidelity threshold on the PC, but still ship it with the code in the retail release? Why not take advantage of the hardware to make the game as impressive as possible?

leadbelly

Banned
All of the posters calling people crazy for saying there was a huge downgrade in those threads before release (like the nvidia pc trailer) have a lot of delicous crow to eat right now.

That depends. It's not like people were only saying there had been downgrade when it actually became apparent. People were saying there was a downgrade right from the start, when the second demo was shown. That was also running on PC hardware.

The argument I made was that it was pretty much impossible to compare the two demos. The second demo happened in a completely different location, at a completely different time of day, and without any of the weather effects happening. What made the first demo look so good was that it had all of the effects happening at one time in the same demo. The second demo had none of those things happening.

In fact one of the most noticeable downgrades didn't really happen until much later. That being the quality of the lighting. It was very obvious, for instance, the way helicopters cast light on the road below had been downgraded. If you remember people kept showing a gif that demonstrated this.

Buburibon

I know right now that everyone is looking everywhere so I post this known thing even here -
standing directly in the cars headlights causes this.

I feel noticable FPS drop, but that may be due to me having some xml already setup and that it clashes together. (also sweetFX)

Best of luck to TheWorse.

That dithering shadow bug has been there since day one. I remember asking whether anyone noticed it here on GAF but no one replied. It happens whenever you're standing in front of a spotlight/headlight.

I took the following screenshot merely minutes into the game on release day.

ED2E8960C9D644E4DFF3468C51F16849126D4909

Ploid 3.0

CLEARLY, the PC version could have shipped with much more scaleable graphics clarity and effects. However, Ubisoft decided to lower the maximum graphic threshold for the PC version because...

...because, WHY?

1. Is it because they make more money off the console sales, and don't want to give people too much of a conundrum when deciding which version to get?

2. But wouldn't Ubisoft save money without having to deal with licensing with Sony/Microsoft and the whole PSN/XBL console "filter", so to speak?

3. Did Sony/Microsoft PAY Ubisoft not to make the PC version look WAY WAY better on PC than PS4 or XB1?

I don't get it. Why lock the game at a lower graphical fidelity threshold on the PC, but still ship it with the code in the retail release? Why not take advantage of the hardware to make the game as impressive as possible?

Whatever the answer is, it's probably in line with the reason From Software gimped the PC version of Dark Souls 1. A filter that hid detailed textures making them look horrible, locked framerate, low resolution, etc.

omonimo

Banned
I think first or later, ubisoft will give a logical explaination. But people will don't give to them a fuck. They have just draw their conclusions. Wow I'm defending Ubisoft.

AkuMifune

Banned

...because, WHY?

At this point from Ubi, incompetence is just as legitimate as conspiracy.

And while most people will mock the level of conspiracy needed for your point #3, I could imagine a scenario where some Microsoft exec seeing the difference between PC and shiny new struggling console and asking politely that they try to ship with parity. With a few extra 000's.

But most likely, incompetence.

Hmm, don't know if that excludes digital sales or not. Why would they exclude it, though, a sale is a sale.

It did seem kind of low to me, though. I was shocked to see it.

I think people just see these numbers as low because they are used to living in their weird GAF bubble where PC users are equally if not more represented than console users. Out in the real world more often then not when I talk to people about video games I get the response "Wait you can play games on your computer? Like real ones?"

People are idiots.

riflen

...because, WHY?

I don't get it. Why lock the game at a lower graphical fidelity threshold on the PC, but still ship it with the code in the retail release?

You're assuming that when enabled, these features do not introduce bugs. The fact is, according to people here who are using the mod, there are plenty of problems with them.

Qwell

I just want them to hurry up and fix the stuck at 90% loading bug.... is that too much to ask? I was 44% complete, finished almost all the collection things, unlocked all the online unlocks, a lot of the side mission stuff so I had max experience gain and atm hacks, and every gun unlocked.... I just want to finish my game :(

KingJ2002

They possibly giimped the PC version due to them not wanting next gen systems to get "shown up" by a large margin. This mod makes the game look amazing and honestly... I believe with Watch Dogs 2 they will achieve this or get close to it on consoles due to a focus of next gen only (hopefully they only focus on next gen).

As of this moment... i'm still going with the assumption that internal performance benchmarks, and budget issues shot down the 2012 look.

Marmac

Banned
Sorry I should have mentioned the video card. 780ti sli. I don't think I can lock the fps in the nvidia control panel? Do I just lock the hz then or that won't work?

Depends on what graphics card you have. If ATI use Radeonpro, make a profile for the game and go into the "Tweaks" tab. Set the drop down menu to Always On and check the box for "Dynamic Framerate Control" put 30 in the box.

Sorry I should have mentioned the video card. 780ti sli. I don't think I can lock the fps in the nvidia control panel? Do I just lock the hz then or that won't work?

Go to "manage 3d settings", click add, choose the Watch Dogs exe, and then scroll to the bottom where you'll see vsync as an option. Should be a few options, vsync, half refresh, and adaptive. Maybe one more.

Why would these things be in the game files?

I think a better question would be why would Ubi go to the trouble of intentionally downgrade their PC version. It seems totally insane. Why not use this? Or give it as an option if you have a powerful enough PC.

King_Moc

Banned

WD 1st week in UK
PS4 49%
Xbone 27%
X360 13%
PS3 9%

PC retail was 2%. The PC market is at least 90% digital nowadays. Ubisoft already said that Farcry 3 on PC sold 1 million copies (worldwide, obviously). It's not as insignificant a market as you'd like to believe.

omonimo

Banned
You're assuming that when enabled, these features do not introduce bugs. The fact is, according to people here who are using the mod, there are plenty of problems with them.
This is what I try to say from my humble knowledge of the matter.

Maybe the obvious lack of polish. I don't have this, but from reading the thread, it sounds like dof, shadows and some of the other effects mentioned all have something not right about them. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy or incompetence. It could just be that it wasn't budgeted for. Getting it working seemlessly might not have been worth the effort. PEACE.
Wow someone is actually thinking instead of this fucking absurd logic of, "they intentionally made the PC version worse to make console gamers feel better". Like how ignorant can you be? The game already runs like shit on PC this would absolutely kill everything. And this is not anything new... For the longest time accessing the console command you were able to backdoor access more graphical options. It just sucks games now don't give you direct access to it... But if it was a big cover up, they wouldnt leave then on the disc.

PhilGPT

...because, WHY?
My theory? /tinfoilhat
Ubi partnered up with Nvidia and made the game run like shit so they could sell their newer higher GB GPU's.
If MaLDo's statement about loading textures twice is correct, that would explain the need for 3GB or higher cards for Ultra textures, and why people with 2GB cards are experiencing performance improvements with this mod.
I'm just talking out of my ass of course... :p

Tagyhag

WD 1st week in UK
PS4 49%
Xbone 27%
X360 13%
PS3 9%

I think it's already been proven multiple times everywhere that PC gaming is vastly DD now and using retail sales to prove a point regarding PC sales shows that you're out of the loop.

PC retail was 2%. The PC market is at least 90% digital nowadays. Ubisoft already said that Farcry 3 on PC sold 1 million copies (worldwide, obviously). It's not as insignificant a market as you'd like to believe.

It's not something I'd "like" to believe. I'm a PC gamer, so I would love for it to have as significant a market share as possible.

If those numbers exclude digital sales and the PC share is in fact much higher, that's a good thing.

I think it's already been proven multiple times everywhere that PC gaming is vastly DD now and using retail sales to prove a point regarding PC sales shows that you're out of the loop.

Jeez my fellow PC gamers are insufferable aren't they.

HariKari

It's not something I'd "like" to believe. I'm a PC gamer, so I would love for it to have as significant a market share as possible.

If those numbers exclude digital sales and the PC share is in fact much higher, that's a good thing.

PC Gaming is doing just fine. It's more than worth the effort to release a proper version.

MegamanEXE

Neo Member
Disabling the DoF, my game's performance DID improve and stuttering is way less now. :)
Can't wait to see what this guy cooks up next, and this was just the lazy version!

Marmac

Banned
Same happens to me. Using 780ti.

That dithering shadow bug has been there since day one. I remember asking whether anyone noticed it here on GAF but no one replied. It happens whenever you're standing in front of a spotlight/headlight.

I took the following screenshot merely minutes into the game on release day.

ED2E8960C9D644E4DFF3468C51F16849126D4909

Nzyme32

i7 4770k and GTX 680. Any estimate of what sort of frame rate and settings @ 1080p I can reasonably expect with this mod?

Not sure - There was this post, so I'd guess on high you would be pretty much getting around 50+

Here are a few videos with the new settings..

http://a.pomf.se/amkeaz.webm

http://a.pomf.se/jbwyci.webm

Everything at Ultra (including textures) on a GTX 690 (sli disabled so basically a 680 2GB card, that's right....2gb with ULTRA textures) 1920x1080 res with TXAA 2 capped at 30fps using NVCP...

Now it does dip below 30 using Ultra textures but I can say for sure right now that if they manage to fix SLI on this game the 690 would handle this game with 30+ fps using Ultra textures for sure using these tweaks.

What this MOD/patch proves is that this game does NOT need 2gb+ VRAM for ultra textures and I hope UBI are rectifying that with an official patch.

The stuttering is gone for me, especially when using high textures, its non existent now (with SLI disabled)

Top Bottom